Start by marking “Instruções para Visitantes” as Want to Read:
Instruções para Visitantes

Instruções para Visitantes

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Uma pequena vila no sul de frança é o lugar eleito por uma jovem inglesa. Aí encontra a casa perfeita, o modo de vida que lhe assenta na perfeição e um amor que - com todas as imperfeições - continua a ser o laço mais dificil de romper.
No romance de Helen Stevenson desfilam as singulares personagens da vila: Stefan, um maoísta convicto que vive á custa da mulher e passa o
Published July 2003 by Publicações Europa - América (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Instruções para Visitantes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instruções para Visitantes

Book Concierge
Subtitle: Life and Love in a French Town. This is a memoir of the author’s experiences as a young British expatriate living in a village near the Spanish border.

Her writing is very atmospheric and I really felt as if I were in the French countryside. I loved the way she described certain people or scenes: “ …she had the face of someone put together by a police artist.” But I have to admit I was somewhat frustrated by her head-over-heels feeling for Luc – cowboy, painter, dentist and lothario. H
Birgit
In her memoir Helen Stevenson writes about her time living in a small town in France. Ever read a book you were totally torn about? Were you just couldn't say whether you liked it or not? This is such a book for me. The story, as fleeting as a summer breeze, didn't draw me in at all. Neither her description of the town and its people, nor her life in the village or her affair with Luc. Add that the story is divided into chapters that follow their own timeline and are thus quite confusing.
On the
Paula Dembeck
In this memoir, the author chronicles her experience as a young British expatriate living in the countryside in France. She introduces us to all the residents of the quaint hamlet known only as "the village". One of these is Luc, the cowboy/painter and part time dentist who becomes enamoured with her. A hard book to get into-the beginning seemed to wander in circles, but it gradually draws you in.
Cate Earnshaw
Beautiful prose about a doomed affair with a man, and the question of whether an affair with a country can ever end well.
Lyrical phrases to linger over, shame the storey didnt grip me so deeply. Sadly not more than the sum if it's parts, though the parts are individually delightful.
Holiday read travelling by train to/from Nice, not far from the book's setting.
Bachyboy
A young Englishwoman settles in a French village near the Spanish border, escaping a failed marriage. The book is cleverly set in three time periods and is crammed with interesting personalities, centred around Luc her dentist/farmer/artist lover. A really well written memoir.
John
Feb 19, 2008 John rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xenophobes and anti-French
Peter Mayle must wish he written "Oh yet another year somewhere in France" as, if it had sold as many copies as this rubbish had, he'd be even richer.
Karin
This was an engaging travel memoir/ personal memoir.
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Tina [agirlandsomebooks]
Tina [agirlandsomebooks] marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Pamk
Pamk marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Harriet Dyke
Harriet Dyke is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Ereadertje
Ereadertje marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014