Start by marking “Sinister Substitute (The Gecko and Sticky, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sinister Substitute (The Gecko and Sticky, #1)

Sinister Substitute (The Gecko and Sticky #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Dave's most despised teacher, a gleeful frog dissector named Ms. Veronica Krockle, is absent. Her students are psyched! But Sticky is suspicious. Especially when the substitute teacher turns out to be strangely interested in geckos. Or rather, boys with pet geckos.

That’s no substitute! That’s Damien Black, dastardly treasure hunter and master of disguise!

If Damien Black is...more
Published January 12th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published December 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sinister Substitute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinister Substitute

Tami
The Gecko & Sticky are two of the most hilarious characters I have ever come across in literature. Sticky is the actual gecko and the “Gecko” is the superhero moniker of Sticky’s 13-year-old friend, Dave Sanchez. Confused? It makes sense when you read the book, whose tongue-in-cheek narrative style is full of asides and inside jokes for the reader.

The Gecko and Sticky actually make their first appearance within the pages of van Draanen’s four book Shredderman series–which I also highly recom...more
Jay
This was the funniest one so far, and I thought the prank used on the substitute teacher was genius, because it is exactly what could happen, it shows the consequences, and it became key to the plot. Plus, it was really really funny.

This installment from the series made me laugh aloud multiple times.
Tanairis
this book was weird to me it had some werid words that i could'nt understand
Bjorn Parker
it was ok lots of movement and description pretty good book
Lucia Pirone
210 pages
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kristin Helms bosma
Kristin Helms bosma marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Alexander Gloux
Alexander Gloux marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Shyanne Gillum
Shyanne Gillum marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Ann Marie
Ann Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Sammy Keyes
Sammy Keyes marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influen...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)