Start by marking “Looking for a Moose” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  53 reviews

Do you really, really want to see a moose — a long-leggy moose — a branchy-antler, dinner-diving, bulgy-nose moose? Spurred by Phyllis Root's sing-songy text and Randy Cecil's buoyant illustrations, this hunt for an elusive moose through woods, swamps, bushes, and hills is
Published August 22nd 2006 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Looking for a Moose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for a Moose

If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe NumeroffZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamThey Called It Moosicide by Lisa DeckertMorris the Moose by Bernard WisemanMoosekitos by Margie Palatini
Moose
15th out of 17 books — 5 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeHenry's Freedom Box by Ellen LevineAmazing Grace by Mary Hoffman
African American Picture Books
191st out of 240 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Alice
Well I love moose(n) many much moosen (If you are fan of Comedian Brian Reagan you will understand the moosen reference-and yes I know moose is plural and singular noun!). I am always looking for moose(n). This summer I have seen 4 moose(n)One bull in the Grand Tetons, One baby in Utah up Big Cotton Wood Canyon outside of Salt Lake City and Two, (a boy and girl) up in a meadow 10 miles East of Heber City Utah know as Lake Creek in the Uinta National Forest. This book is great with all the rhymey ...more
Jordan Brown
Author: Phyllis Root
Illustrator: Randy Cecil
Reading Level:ages 5-8

Root, Phyllis (2006) Looking for a Moose Cambridge: Candlewick Press

Looking for a Moose is an enjoyable read. It details the adventure that a few camping children set out for in order to find a moose.

The book has a slight poetic narrative to it. It's engaging, silly, and makes use of onomatopoeia, as the author tends to describe the sounds that the children make. It's a book about adventure, so I feel it's an e
Heidi
A cute book. This will make a great read-aloud in a storytime. I like the pictures too. Something in the use of color make this a soothing bedtime book. Or maybe that's because I was reading it right before I went to sleep....

4/19/10 I used this in PJ storytime. I still find the colors to be soothing. I still love the rhymey descriptive words and the adventure the children go on. I love the end. Yet I think the overall "fun-ness" of the book was lost on the tiny group. Maybe I'll bring this one
Rosa Cline
If you are reading this to a child and they can only look at pictures (to young to recognize words) the pictures may get a little overwhelming. The story line also is repetitive so they may get a little bored; although the story is a cute one. This story only gets a 3 star from me due to just not really capturing and keeping the reader and the young listener. However, if you have a beginning reader or reading this to a group of K-G through maybe 2nd graders they probably would love to follow the ...more
Derek Cooke
The children are talking about moose and decide to go on an adventure to look for some. The story goes from one area in the woods to another with the children looking. Each of the pages has a lot of sets of rhyming words that are used to describe the area they are in, or the moose they are looking for. Also in most of the pages is a moose hiding. You have to really look for them, but they are there. The children cross different areas, water, fields and forests looking for the elusive moose. They ...more
Paula

Four children set off into the woods to find a moose. An ear-tickling, eye-teasing romp for little listeners, led by an award-winning author and illustrator. Do you really, really want to see a moose - a long-leggy moose - a branchy-antler, dinner-diving, bulgy-nose moose? Spurred by Phyllis Root's sing-songy text and Randy Cecil's buoyant illustrations, this hunt for an elusive moose through woods, swamps, bushes, and hills is just as fun as the final surprise discovery of moose en masse. Child
Jennifer Parker
Excellent book of rhyming while trying to find a moose. Would read again.
S.K.
I'm a big fan of Randy Cecil. Especially after buying Brontorina!

This book, however, might work for a REALLY young crowd...three to four? The words were rhymey and repetitious, but somehow felt a slight bit forced to me. Some extra words in the sentences that didn't help with the flow, that kind of thing.

It was fun looking for the moose parts through out the book. My kids and I always love that. We even counted the birds and the squirrels on each page. Search and finds are a good way to interact
Maria Burel
"Have you ever seen a moose --- a long-leggy moose-- a branchy-antler, dinner-diving, bulgy-nose moose?"

Join 4 friends as they go tromping through the woods, squelching through the swamp, scraping through the bushes, and scrambling up the hillside in their search for a moose. This book has lots of fun action words and sounds that children will love to repeat. And if your child has especially sharp eyes, he/she will locate some surprises amongst the illustrations. Clever and fun, a great read-alo
Connie
Very much like We're Going on a Bear Hunt.

Five young kids go looking for a moose. They look, and they look, but it's just no use. So they keep looking elsewhere. Of course, we can see that they're really in the company of an increasing herd of moose!

Just as they give up, they hear "Oo-roog" (I guess that's what moose say?) and find that they're totally surrounded.

Very cute, very repetitive in the good way, neither too short nor too long.
Neil Hopfer
Notes: Looking for a Moose, by Phyllis Roo is a fun book about moose.

Book Review: Throughout the book we are always looking for a moose but the girl can never find the moose, even though on nearly each page the moose is on there just blending in. The hunt goes through the woods, swamps, bushes, and the hill. Finally, the girl sees the moose and there is a lot of them everywhere.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades K-3.
Emily Farmer
Oct 29, 2012 Emily Farmer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preK through 2nd grade
LOVE THIS BOOK! This book is about a bunch of children who are looking to see a moose. This book is filled with alliteration and woudl be wonderful when working with phonemic awareness. It has cute word play, clever pictures with a hidden moose on every page. At the end of the book the children in the story finally see a moose! I really like the full page picture pan.
Melissa Gregory
This is a great read for pre-school-1st grade. It involves many of the sences throughout the story. It is very easy for kids to enjoy this story because of its sing-songy text and great illustrations that go along with it. While reading the story, the kids can listen to the words being said and actually imagine themselves going on this adventure.
Kim
I love the illustrations in this book. As a group of friends head out to see a moose they miss the whole the picture of how it blends in. Great use of onomatopoeia!
(264 words)

Help support Independent book stores - use this link to find a store near you or to purchase LOOKING FOR A MOOSE: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978076...
Lorna
Great fun to read, and the playful rhythm and rhyming would make it great as a read aloud to preschool-grade 1. With lots of repeating and familiar words, this would also be great to give to beginning readers to try in their own. Charming oil painting illustrations will engage the readers.
Sheri
Cute read aloud and with kids help they search for the moose in the pictures from wheat information the m.c. is giving them. Repeated verse while looking for this moose. An example of a story that repeats a verse.
Lots of vivid verbs and noise words.
Lori
Fun, sing-songy text. Darling illustrations. Reminds me a little of Going on a Lion Hunt.
Would be a fun read aloud, but an even better lap book with one or two children so you could pour over the pictures together looking for the hidden moose.
Elizabeth
A fun book to read aloud and wonderfully illustrated. I didn't realize how much the kids loved it until our nature walk yesterday when both picked up antler-like branches and began reciting lines from the story.
Kristie
A great example of phonological awareness- full of alliteration and tons of fun sounds to make. One of the best picture books I've come across in a while. Keep your eyes open for hints of moose on many of the pages.
Lady Susan
This is a fun book to read. Lots of alliteration and rhyming. Also there are lots of things to point out on each page (animals etc) as well as some well hidden moose to find. Good read for F (24 months)
Melanie
Have you ever seen a moose? Readers are invited to help the characters search for a moose throughout the pages of this wonderful book. Look carefully, you just might see a part of a moose on each page!
Chris
I would probably give this book 3.5 stars, but that is not an option. In this story told using fun, sing-song type of verse, children go on a search to find moose. It is a cute story and a fun read aloud.
Msjennifers Corner
This tale of children seeking moose is quite adorable. I read this for storytime and the sounds and fun language really lend themselves well to a group reading. The children enjoyed this one quite a bit.
Tom
For a story corner: Fun rhymes, some made up Seuss like words, and also a "where's Waldo" hunt for a moose hiding. (It helps that due to my last name I have a fondness for all things moose.)
Cristina
Ask audience to chime in with the "now what?!" part. Would have given it 4 for rhymes and storyline, except I didn't like the ending--which was very abrupt without much resolution.
Jen
This book reminds me of how much my favorite four-year-olds enjoyed learning about onomatopoeia. I couldn't resist reading it aloud, even though no one was around to hear the magic.
Jackie
Do you want to see a moose?...A long-leggy moose-a bancy-antler, dinner-diving, bulgy-nose moose? YES! The kids hunt throug the woods on a quest to find one...and find one, they do!
Gabrielle
Fun language and repeating phrases. Rhythm and rhyme with a "We're going on a bear hunt" feel.
Great ook for fall storytimes with beautiful fall colours in the illustrations.
Deana
Not as good as Going on a Bear Hunt but a great addition to it. I think I may use it if the kids are still into our imaginary animal hunt next week.
Shelli
Fun read aloud to share about a group of children that go on a moose hunt. They find out that the moose is not as elusive as they thought.
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Lots of Dots
  • Bounce
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Monkey And Me
  • Pouch!
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Beetle Bop
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • I'd Really Like to Eat a Child
  • Moo!
"Picture books are performances," says Phyllis Root, quoting some sage advice she once received. "They're performances that involve a child--something both of you do. And once I started thinking of them that way, I started getting much looser about making up words and playing around with rhythm."

Phyllis Root picked up an early affinity for colloquial language while growing up in Indiana and south
More about Phyllis Root...
One Duck Stuck Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere Rattletrap Car Scrawny Cat Oliver Finds His Way