Start by marking “Falling Up” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176

Shel Silverstein

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  87,187 ratings  ·  908 reviews
Shel Silverstein's magical tradition continues with this long-awaited companion to A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends. Here are more than 100 new poems and drawings by the master of wit and wisdom, featuring a wealth of wonderfully amusing and lovable characters, including Allison Beals and Her 25 Eels, Reachin' Richard, the clothes-dryin' Moose, and Danny O' ...more
Hardcover, Reprint edition, 178 pages
Published 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers

Chin Hwa
Some wonderful gems from this anthology of poems and drawings:

FALLING UP

I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up--
Up where the colors
Blend into the sounds.
But it got me so dizzy
When I looked around,
I got sick to my stomach
And I threw down.

All ran away and hid
Fro
Ronyell
Falling Up

Ever since I was little, I have been a huge fan of Shel Silverstein’s works as they were creative, controversial and hilarious to read through! I have practically read almost all of Shel Silverstein’s works including Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Every Thing on It and I had enjoyed every single one of them! Now, I have finally read another one of Shel Silverstein’s books called “Falling Up” and it was just as enjoyable as Shel Silverstein’s other works!

This is another book t
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I think this is my favorite Shel Silverstein offering. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Heather
Jan 06, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good laugh
Shelves: humor, kid-lit
I fell in love with the plays on words and how childlike the poems were. It didn't take a whole lot of thinking to interpret the poems, because it was all there, clearly stated in the poem.
Lissa Smith
After seeing this on one of my friends list I couldn’t resist re-reading it. I read this book to my children when they were small. It’s both entertaining and educational. It’s a great way to introduce children to art, poetry and the limitless of one’s imagination.
April*procrastinator and proud*
lol!
i can recite a poem right form it!!
Ickle me, pickle me, tickle me too
ent for a ride in a flying shoe, hooray what fun,
its time we flew,
cried Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,

Ickle was captain Pickle was crew Tickle serves cofee and mulligan stew and higher and higher and higher they flew,
Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too.

Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,
Never returned to the world they knew,
and no one knows what happened to,
dear Ickle me, Pickle me Tickle me too,.

lawl, that was my favorite
Dolly
Feb 06, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I received Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic as presents as a child and they are still treasured possessions. We've read them together and our girls love the poems, especially our youngest. So for her birthday this year, I bought her this book. I think I read it years ago, but since I didn't own it, I don't know the poems nearly as well.

Our youngest only 'allows' us to read a couple of poems together each night, so it took us quite a long time to finish this book. It was just as
Alyssa Davila
i remember when i was in first grade, i had to do read a poem from his poem book Falling Up and i decided to pick a poem about this little kid going home and he notices a hat following him, the little kid gets all paranoid and relizes the hat has a tail. the little boy picks up the hat a comes to find that under the hat was either a little cat or a dog, i really cant remember, it was kind of a long time ago. but those poems made up my childhood. they made me think, analize, and got me to believe ...more
Jenna Kennedy
With black, sketched illustrations on cream colored pages, the words flow down the pages as they do off of the reader’s tongue. The lyrical type narration use rhyme and repetition to show the adventure of Pinocchio (on page 46). An illustration of the wooden toy boy sits on the bottom of the page, with his nose as long as one, two, three lies. About ten stanzas long, this tale is only a part of the 171 page long book of poems for young readers. The silly and quirky stories use different types of ...more
Sheena
Great book. Really fun to read outloud to my children. I find it more fun to read as an adult than it was as a child. Just brilliant. Favorite poem.
Tell me pg. 154

Tell me I'm sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I'm perfect-
But tell me the truth.

This book is as close to perfection as can be. And that's the truth.
Danelle

All ran away
From one little
did.
Tony
This review is specifically for the poem "Danny O'Dare" The plot is very simple. There's a bear who escapes from the carnival and wants to dance with a girl. He tries impressing her with dances and at the end, he makes a gesture to her to dance with him.

There's little to none characterization. The bear seems to be a happy bear, and very outgoing. He's smiling so he is very happy. He is also, Nevertheless.... a dancer. The way they describes the bear in the course of a small poem is interesting.
Some of my favorite poems ever!
Jordan Croom
In his book Falling Up, Shel Silverstein has compiled a collection of both serious and humorous poems. Some of the poems are realistic fiction, but most of the poems included in this book are wild and outlandish. Not only that, but they are clever and catch your attention. They invoke thought. These kinds of books are a great way to introduce students to a number of different types of poems, as well as giving them something funny and different to read. This book would be a great book to pull fro ...more
Kiera Burnett
Summary and Critique:
In Silverstein’s anthology, he includes numerous silly poems, most accompanied by simple illustrations. In true Silverstein style, he creates poetry that appeals to a wide age range and discusses a variety of topics. This book is sure to engage young readers and excite them about poetry. I enjoyed reading the poem “Little Hoarse” because it describes the use of figurative language, using figurative language. When a man complains of being a “Little Hoarse” the children mistak
Ericka
Funny rhyming and stories (poems). Great read for adults and children. I have never read any of Shel silverstein books, but I will now and have my son read his books also. I would to see how his 10 yr imagination works. This poem reminds me so much of my son.

"Obedient"

Teacher said, “You don’t obey.
You fidget and twidget
And won’t sit down.
So go stand in the corner now
"Til I say you can turn around.”
So there I stood ‘til it got dark
Without a whimper or a tear,
"Til everybody else went home.
I guess
Alex Matsu
Falling up is a collection of Shell Silverstien's best poems, and there is no time or date but it is spread worldwide. There are dozens of characters, but most of the poems are about weird things happening to children and old people. All of the poems rhyme or carry a beat. My favorite is HELP! It is about a unicorn who's horn is stuck in a tree but when you try to help it, he gets protective about his horn and and asks you so many questions until you walk away.
My connection is text-to-world, f
Katlyn Campbell
1. Genre: Poetry
2. Falling Up is a great book of poetry for child and in my opinion adults also. The title contains numerous poems and illustrations that are sure to interest their readers and make them laugh too.
3. Critique
a. This book of poetry has great illustrations which supplement the equally wonderful poems.
b. The title, although all black and white, has many poems with complementing illustrations which will make the reader laugh, spike their interest, and make them keep reading. The po
Katie
I have no specific memory of reading this book as a child, but I'm sure that I must have read and enjoyed some Silverstein poems because when I saw a copy of Falling Up at a thrift store, I snatched it right up. Unfortunately, when read by a more grown-up me, Falling Up fell a bit short. Certainly there are some clever and enjoyably silly poems in this collection, as well as some wonderful illustrations, but overall I found the humor a little too immature and grisly for my tastes.

I remember, as
Mackenzie Wilson
Falling Up by Shel Silverstein was BY FAR one of my favorite poem books when I was growing up. I actually loved all of Shel Silverstein's poetry books, and to this day still own all of them. These books hold a special place in my heart because my grandpa used to read them to me when I was growing up. The way this book is written, is loose and witty, so it is easy for children of all ages to become engaged and instantly like them, and maybe even discover a love for poetry! Silverstein covers a wi ...more
Peyton Jay
This is one of my favorite children'a poetry books of all time! I grew up reading Shel Silverstein's poems, and to this day they are still some of my favorites. The quirkiness he puts into the topics for his pieces are so funny. They relate to you in some of the oddest ways, but they also grab your attention the most that way as well. I love his artwork because its so different, it really grabs children's attention. This is a classic novel that should be read for many years to come!
Katie
I haven't read shel Silverstein in many years, but I'm doing a genre challenge and I was stuck on poetry. I don't like poetry. I've tried, but I don't get it. Puns, though? Puns I get! Puns I love!

This is my kind of poetry. Some are much more sophisticated and adult then I remember, but they are still the kind of basic, rhyming, rhythmic poems that my science brain can understand. Loved!
Noura
فكرني بــ
حبة هوا لـ وليد طاهر

Loved this one too, I'll share some of those beautiful, lighthearted, and very simple poems..

Miranda
It's been awhile since I've read any of Shel Silverstein's books. And, now that I'm re-reading them, I think that I should probably give them a read at least once a year from now on.

Geared towards younger readers, true. The poems are cute and clever, short and witty. They're fun, as are the pictures that go along with them. But, as I read this from a more mature view, I can see deeper meanings in some of them. One of my favorites for this is "Diving Board." It would take a while to type out, so
Erin Edwards
Annotation and Comment:
I’m a big fan of Silverstein’s poetry. I remember reading his books and giggling at sleepovers with my cousin. We thought the poems were just a little bit naughty to read. We loved the gross ones the best! I think that his collections are still appropriate for my students. I want them to learn that poetry can be fun—not all of it is difficult to interpret.
The illustrations of this book are very simple black line drawings. But they help make Silverstein’s poems special.
Emma-lee
Falling Up is a book with a bunch of poems put into a book! All the poems had emotions to me, but I liked it! I hope i can find different books like this that fit me!
Cameron Devaughn
Falling up by Shel Sylverstien is an all-time great poem books, especially for younger children. Some books by Shel Sylverstien are; Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and The Giving Tree. Those stories are just as good as Falling Up. Falling up is a great book for anyone who just wants to appreciate reading a silly book. It is good to laugh and even better to laugh at what you are reading. That’s what makes this book such a fun read. Sylverstien uses the most interesting words to ex ...more
Courtney Ennis
This poetry book is written by Shel Silverstein and has many different types of poems in it. The book is very large and has short poems and long poems. Some of the pages have pictures on the side to show what is happening in the poems. All of his illustrations are in black and white even the front cover of the book. I really like this book because the poems are so interesting. They are different than any other ones I have read. I like how they are geared for a younger audience so it makes it eas ...more
Alicia Singleton
Falling Up is a collection of funny, sometimes-rhyming poems by Shel Silvertein. I really enjoyed reading Shel Silverstein books, because they were always fun to read and some of them made you think hard about the overall meaning. In this book, I think that there is a poem, of not a few poems for everyone. Silverstein talks about a lot of different topics that people young and old can relate to. There is a poem about sharing, which would most likely relate to a young person learning to share. Th ...more
Pattarawut Sophontanabodee
Falling Up poems and drawings by Shel Silverstien! I really enjoy reading this book. It reminded me and throw me back when i was really young. This book is absolutely made for the kids. It's enjoyable. This book include more than 125+ poems and pictures. This book make me think when I was 3-4 reading this kind of book and it was fun and unforgettable. The writing is beautiful and lovely to me. I think the weakness of the book is the pattern and the story is not continuing, it's keep changing thr ...more
Book of Poetry 1 1 Nov 13, 2014 12:38PM
  • Something Big Has Been Here
  • Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2)
  • Hop On Pop
  • The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales
  • Serendipity
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • Spider and the Fly
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...
Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein The Giving Tree A Light in the Attic The Missing Piece Every Thing on It

“Tell my I'm clever,
Graceful and Wise
Tell me I'm perfect--
But tell me the TRUTH.”
595 likes
“why can't you see i'm a kid', said the kid.
Why try to make me like you?
Why are you hurt when I don't cuddle?
Why do you sigh when I splash through a puddle?
Why do you scream when I do what I did?
Im a kid.”