Start by marking “Graffiti Girl” as Want to Read:
Graffiti Girl

Graffiti Girl

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Graffiti art. It's bold. It's thrilling. And it can get a girl into serious trouble....

Raised by her single mom (who's always dating the wrong kind of man) in a struggling California neighborhood, Angel Rodriguez is a headstrong, independent young woman who channels her hopes and dreams for the future into her painting. But when her entry for a community mural doesn't ra
Published May 15th 2007 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about Graffiti Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graffiti Girl

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyGoing Too Far by Jennifer EcholsThe Book of Luke by Jenny O'ConnellForget You by Jennifer EcholsSuch a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
MTV Publishing
25th out of 50 books — 191 voters
Graffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyGraffiti Girl by Kelly ParraTagged by Mara PurnhagenBlood Rock by Anthony Francisgetting Up by SD Thorpe
Graffiti In Fiction
2nd out of 8 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra Lopez
Review: What can I say? I loved Angel! She absolutely rocked with her non-glamour, doesn't-give-a-crap attitude. But, like any other teen, she's shy and insecure, especially about her skills as an artist. She never liked to show off her work because she felt it would never compare to the other students, who were far more talented than she could ever come close to. I'm an artist myself, so I know how that feels.

Angel is a character that many Latino youths can relate to. The other characters in th
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by: Sandra Lopez, author of Esperanza: A Latina storyand Beyond The Gardens
Member of Livin' la vida Latina

Lyn
Angel believes she is a talented artist but not everyone thinks so. Her entry to chair the school mural committee didn't even place. The winning artist, Nathan Ramos, a senior track star, thinks enough of her talent to ask her to work on the committee which will eventually make community murals for the city parks. Although she has a crush on Nathan, Angel thinks he would never date a girl from her side of town.

Miguel Badalin, a bad boy graffiti artist, is also in their art class. His entry comes
Jen
I couldn't put this book down. I LOVE the main character Angel--she is strong and tough yet has a soft place in her heart--she has really stuck with me. She crosses the line but finds her own way back and stands accountable for her actions. It's about Art, love, and being true to yourself--I think any girl can find something to relate to in this book.

Jay
It Was A Really Great Book. It Showed Culture, And Friendship. Really Good Book. I Liked How I Connected Because I Am Hispanic and It Was Great.
Zahra
WOW!
I swear reading this book was the best thing that;s ever happened to me.I relate to Angel in so many ways and... Gah! this book is awesome.
Stephanie
loved it.
Bhagirathy

voice in graffiti, and also finds herself drawn more and more to Migue
Alina
Graffiti Girl is about a teenaged girl, named Angel. She is very independent and strong-minded, yet well-rounded since she also has a passion for art. Angel becomes introduced to the art of graffiti by one of her classmates who pretty much randomly becomes interested in her art. As the story progressed, it seemed to get a little more predictable but I feel that if more details were included that lead to this climax, it would have made this a much better story. Nonetheless, her classmate, Miguel ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Angel is a teenage girl whose life, or much of it, at least, is about her art. She loves art, but when she enters a contest for a mural, and doesn't win, she's more than a little disappointed. In her disappointment, Angel turns to another form of art, one that's more often than not practiced illegally: graffiti.

Miguel shows her his artwork, his graffiti, and even lets her into his graffiti crew, Reyes del Norte. She finds her voice in graffiti, and
Joséphine
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

The world is rarely fair, if ever. Angel is only coming to truly realize this now. She loves art and has been vying to be part of her community mural project. Through this project their neighbourhoods are supposed to be cleaned up while the best art students in town get to do up murals. But not every neighbourhood will benefit and it takes Angel a while to find out. This where the allure of graffiti grows strong because nobody is in charge of where she puts her art.

Clearl
Alyssa
I read this is under three hours, but not because it was so good I couldn't put it down. No, it was because I just really liked the characters and wanted to see which guy she would choose.

I love books about a Latino-backgrounded character. I love how this entire book was focused on characters of that nationality, one so close to my own. I love the little snaps of Spanish and enfuriating mother. I wish we could have gotten more of a look into the lifestyle of a Macian-American, but the author di
Heather
Honestly, I didn't really enjoy this book all that much. I chose to read it for a project in my Multicultural Lit for Children course as a part of a multi-book analysis paper. As I was reading it and well after I'd finished it, I wasn't that impressed. Granted, I'm supposed to be reading it to analyze it's importance and relevance for and to young people in the Latino/a community but I couldn't get past the books boring style. I don't know if it's just something in the way that Kelly Parra uses ...more
Todd Slutzky
Last May I found this book on the ground while walking through Brooklyn. Not my typical read, but I figured it came into my life for a reason.

As a 39 year old Caucasian man, I did not really relate to Angel. But I appreciated her struggles and I was happy to get a better glimpse into a world quite different from mine.
Emma Oreste
i enjoyed this book, It changed my perspective on art. Motivates me a little to keep on drawing, and never quit.
Julie Russell
My friends from Salinas, Kelly Parra confirmed that GG was loosely based on Salinas!
Dominic
The book Gaffiti Girl is about a young latin girl who begins to take an interest in graffiti because all of her friends do it. She gets into a big crew' goes through a lot' and becomes a real graff artist.

My opinion of this book is that it is really good, especially since im really into art. If you are into graffiti art or the life of a teenager in L.A. durring the graffiti movement, you should read this.
RENE^_^
Honestly I took this book throughout the break and I only read 20 pages it was really boring but the part that i read maybe was.

This book is about a girl who she is suppost to make her mark she basically uses graffiti she gets in trouble a lot for doing that..........................................................Kay
Michele
I don't know what it was about this book! Maybe it was that the main character reminded me so much of myself... I don't know. I loved it. Every minute of it. Every detail is so perfectly described and every emotion is felt beyond the pages. I stayed up until 4am just to finish it. What can I say? Great book!
The topic is unique, especially in chick-lit, and the worst language is a couple of "shit"s throughout the book. I'm still debating if the book is cliché or not, but it's genuine and has a great message.
Annamarie
Great story about finding oneself through art. I've always been interested in graffiti, but reading this book I really got a different look at what it is that the artists create.
Alba
Mar 31, 2008 Alba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
this book is so true!!!! graffiti isnt vandilism its a form of art and I'm glad that there are people who believe that!!!! I love this book its an awesome book!!!!!!!
Melissa
The beginning is good... it got a little predictable in the middle. I thought that the characters could have been a little more complex. Overall it was just... ok.
Shawna
Angel has too choose between bad-boy graffiti artist Miguel and golden boy artist Nathan, and balance her choice with her own art.
Oriza Amouri
about a girl got deceive with shallow and weird reason. the author didn't dig Miguel personality and the storyline was off.
Mercedes Hubbard
Angel is a great character. She learns about graffiti and boys and rules and stuff. I def recommend this book!
Janelly Canales
Well this book is tight ive read it about months ago its prett dwn book well to yuh ladies Stay up tricks!
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah added it
Shelves: ya, contemporary, novel
A good quick read about a Mexican-American girl looking for her place in her world and in art.
Victor torres
Really great book! lots of girly tension scenes! about 50 pages before finishing!
this is what happens when you take books off your sister's shelf...
Akins Hollis Engl...: SSR 1 2 Oct 21, 2011 08:08AM
  • Out of Tune
  • Haters
  • American Fraternity Man
  • The Lit Report
  • No More Confessions (Confessions, #3)
  • Faking Faith
  • My Not-So-Still Life
  • A Little Friendly Advice
  • Leap of Faith
  • I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister
  • Kite Spirit
  • Gotcha!
  • Sofi Mendoza's Guide to Getting Lost in Mexico
Kelly (Lynn) Parra’s earliest stories were told with paintbrushes, but upon discovering the drama, forbidden love, and danger of romance and suspense novels, those paintbrushes were replaced with a keyboard.

Now a multi-published author in young adult and suspense fiction, she has created memorable characters such as a graffiti artist in GRAFFITI GIRL, a psychic teen in INVISIBLE TOUCH, orphan mons
More about Kelly Parra...
Invisible Touch Supernatural Hunters Criminal Instinct Supernatural Hunters: A Novella (The Jaz & Blake Chronicles) Deadly Treats: Halloween Tales of Mystery, Magic, and Mayhem