Start by marking “The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
JohnWoolman was one of the most significant Americans of the eighteenth century, though he was not a famous politician, general, scientist, or man of letters, and he never held public office. This superb book makes it clear why he mattered so much.

A humble tailor known at first only to the other Quakers who encountered him at meetings in New Jersey, Philadelphia, and New E
Published October 13th 2009 by Hill and Wang (first published September 16th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Beautiful Soul of John Woolman, Apostle of Abolition

Katie
Boring. Tons of historical context and analysis, very skimpy on actual life story. Needed an introduction. Failed to convince me of Woolman's significance. I gave up halfway through.
Rick
This is a penetrating study to say the least. This humble Quaker from New Jersey had a domino-like influence on Quakers and then on society as well. Great movements for social justice had to begin somewhere and Woolman was a starting point for many of them. Slaughter does a good job of analyzing his inspirations, which can be linked to Jesus Christ and the early Christians.
Jon Edward
I was interrupted for a long time while reading this book. I need to read it again to write a thoughtful review.

Two things I enjoyed learning about: Woolman's ministry and Quakers generally in early 18th century America. Boring genealogical: my mother's forebears lived in Burlington at the same time Woolman did. As I read, I wondered what contact they had with him.
Tim and Popie Stafford
John Woolman was a Quaker lived in New Jersey before the Revolutionary War. Best known for his effective advocacy of anti-slavery among Quakers (who banned it among their members not long after his death). He was also a mystic and a remarkable St Francis type. This bio is gentle, slow moving, thoughtful.
Philip
This book spends far too much time recounting Woolman's theological arguments. If I'd wanted that, I'd have read the Journal.

The book is at its best when its giving us the theological and historical context for Woolman. More of the latter would have been an improvement.
aCertainMan
This book does a thorough job exploring likely cultural and spiritual influences on a devout and influential 18th Century Quaker American.
Michael Greening
Yes gentle slow and thought provoking, just as a fine bio should be. A book to be savored.
Michael Mccormick
Michael Mccormick is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Geoge Schaefer
Geoge Schaefer is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Krodkey
Krodkey marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Kevin Gannon
Kevin Gannon marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Will Stotts-Jr
Will Stotts-Jr marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2012
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2012
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2012
Ij
Ij marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2010
The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution Independence: The Tangled Roots of the American Revolution The Natures of John and William Bartram Exploring Lewis and Clark: Reflections on Men and Wilderness (Lewis & Clark Expedition) Bloody Dawn: The Christiana Riot and Racial Violence in the Antebellum North