Start by marking “Easter Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Easter Rabbit

Easter Rabbit

Fiction. Joseph Young's microfictions are delicate in their profundity. Each of the 76 stories are so tightly crafted that the richness is clear through the spare word counts.
Published December 15th 2009 by Publishing Genius (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Easter Rabbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easter Rabbit

Kevin
I wanted to like this book more but it was too inconsistent and I found myself wanting more of a hook to hold onto. There's some beautiful lines but they're sometimes followed by another line that detracts or distracts. I'd like to see what Mr. Young does next though. He's on to something, I'm just not sure what.
Amelia
Nov 21, 2009 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Joe Young’s lovely little fictions present objects and parts, voices guiding voices, striking images in solid prose. A city of familiar scenes rises around the reader, who may be surprised to find how quickly they attach and draw her near. These are puzzles best devoured slowly.
Kathy
Jan 23, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Review here at the JMWW blog: http://jmwwblog.wordpress.com/
Parrish Lantern
Back in July, I wrote a post entitled The Tortoise & the Easter Bunny ?, this book by Lee Rourke traced a history of fables from Aesop to Flash Fiction. Whilst writing this post, I came across a few names, some known (Shane Jones) & some new to me. One of those new to me & who featured in that post was Joseph Young & his collection of microfictions - Easter Rabbit.

Constant Math

Things he decided: ice was always bitter, time will

append like cooking oil, he’d only been wrong once.

T
Joe
Mar 28, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, fiction
These are prose-poems (micro fictions ok ok) that are not surreal. I don't know why that is an exception but it is. Instead Joe's images are dense, they are real things with a hyperabundance of being. Part of it is syntax, sentences that list but without the word and or or--"He thanked the doctor and went to the park, the low bubble of children, the pale, beatific mothers"--so things crowd in on one another, fold up around each other tightly but never never transform without the authorization of ...more
Meg Pokrass
Jan 02, 2010 Meg Pokrass rated it it was amazing
this is a book I've been waiting a long time to see and could not be more enamored with Easter Rabbit. One becomes so excited about writing as one reads these tiny perfect stories!!! I have reread them and reread them.

These pieces (so tiny, one will not believe they can produce such fullness) contain a deep and gentle awe and wonder about the world we inhabit. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Joseph Young is the master of microfiction,

Kudos, Joseph Young.
Cathy
Nov 24, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I am adding this book to my read shelf - and I am currently re-reading, dipping in for inspiration and because I am exploring micro fiction.

These stories are so achingly beautiful, some quite mysterious, with wit and verve. There's no such thing as a too-short story, if it is told well and exactly. I'd rather read shorter fiction as well-done as this than a many a famous but flabby novel.

Perhaps I love the mystery more each time I read the stories.
Adam
Oct 20, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing
It's my press that published the book so of course I think it's great. But I was just rereading one of the stories and decided I could read it forever. The story is called "Another Thing," and I actually bought the exclusive rights for it last year. At $100, it was worth every penny.

With this book, I'm licensing it to readers everywhere for unlimited use.
Gabriel
Dec 16, 2012 Gabriel added it
Shelves: 2012
FOURTH CERTAINTY, RIGHT TIME

He shared a cigarette with the dentist, who'd just pulled a tooth, the nurse from next door. I have a man inside, she said, with a tumor in his eye. They stopped, marked the quiet of the suffering train.
John
Dec 03, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
An incredibly new take on literature. Joe's idea pf what language can comprise a narrative and his experiments with brevity gave me a feeling similar to the first time I read Gary Lutz's Stories in the Worst Way. I expect to reread stories from Easter Rabbit often.
Laura Ellen
Jun 21, 2011 Laura Ellen rated it it was amazing
I go back to this book again and again. The cure for irony or otherwise having your head stuck up your rear. I wish I could give it a prize or something.

My poet-friend read it while he was sick with the flu. It made him feel better than nyquil.
Robb Todd
Freeze a moment. Listen to the sound. See the colors.

Do yourself a favor and read the lines in this book aloud. It is compressed and shot through. It is difficult to fashion words in such a way but, when done so, you must read them again.
Tracy
Feb 02, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, tiny stories. Favorite line: "Still, there was more summer in her mouth than he would have known in a wild of work."
Erin
Sep 17, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Favorites were:

Cartogram (p.17)
80 (p.20)
The Love Of The Lazabout's Wife (p.22)
Easter Rabbit (p.30)
A Wish (p.47)
Disclose/Agape (p.81)
Tyler
May 09, 2011 Tyler rated it really liked it
Publishing Genius continues to be one of the most trusted indie presses. Love this books sense of form. Small and subtle but works a wide range of emotions and angles within that.
Peter Zuppardo
Jan 30, 2013 Peter Zuppardo rated it it was amazing
Here is the first story:

A white line, across the cement, under the park, through the door, faint and hardly there, to its red center.
Melissa
Oct 24, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like attending a master class on the art of the turn inside the wet mouth of the girl from Hills Like White Elephants.
Joseph Young
Dec 22, 2010 Joseph Young rated it it was amazing
Easter Rabbit is now in reprint, with a brand new cover by original cover artist Christine Sajecki and a new section of stories. Thanks, goodreading friends!
Michael Smith
Michael Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2010
Layne Ransom
Layne Ransom rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2011
Lesley C.
Lesley C. rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Griflet
Griflet rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Jen Michalski
Jen Michalski rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2009
Rachel Glaser
Rachel Glaser rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2013
Veronica Vergara
Veronica Vergara rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
William
William rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Luca Dipierro
Luca Dipierro rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2010
Dave K.
Dave K. rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011