Start by marking “Whoo Goes There?” as Want to Read:
Whoo Goes There?

Whoo Goes There?

Whoo goes there? Whoo? In this mystical story of hunter and hunted, an owl listens for little creatures scurrying far below. Mouse? Squirrel? Rabbit? Or something else entirely? Stunning illustrations plus hypnotic text take readers on a suspenseful journey through night and nature.
Published September 29th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Whoo Goes There?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whoo Goes There?

Cheryl
Feb 16, 2017 Cheryl rated it liked it
Pretty pictures. Rhythmic text and large font make it easy to use for circle time. Could be used to generate creative writing. But the owl never does get anything to eat! So sad!
Ashley
Oct 18, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: for-flora
Good for learning about what an owl does and does not eat.
Lesley Dahlseng
Mar 03, 2015 Lesley Dahlseng rated it really liked it
A hungry owl is perched in a tree, listening for the sounds of something yummy. With each noise, he wonders, “Whoo goes there?” He doesn’t have much luck, as the noises come from many different creatures, none of which fit the owl’s palate. Finally, when owl spots a mouse, he spreads his wings in flight . . . but all for naught. A noise makes another character wonder “who goes there” and distracts the owl’s hunt.

This is a clever way of introducing our children to various forest critters and teac
Cecilia
Oct 19, 2013 Cecilia rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a fast paste little book this is it. It talks about an owl that keeps hearing sounds and thinks it something but you turn the page and find that it is something else. At times it really confused me because I was really wanted to know how a certain sound could be interpreted wrongly. In a classroom a teacher could use this book to talk to students about when they have been wrong and what has been the outcome of it. You could also talk about the harm of gossiping and how tha ...more
Saunders Awards
Jun 13, 2016 Saunders Awards rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, age-3, age-4
This book could be a fun example to young children of the importance of being patiently attentive instead of impulsively reactive or making assumptions. It is not predictably formulaic, and the owl guesses correctly in the middle of the book as well as the end. It is educational about the types of animals that owls do and do not eat, and kids can enjoy repeating animal sounds and guessing what could make each sound. The end was a little disappointing and confusing, and requires that the reader i ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Owl watches and waits for his dinner. With every sound he hears, owl imagines what animal it is. He guesses wrong a few times before he gets it right. However, some raccoons interrupt his dinner.

What I thought: A lovely book. The repetition in the story is great. I think this could be a story time favorite. The illustrations match the story perfectly. Just dark enough and so realistic.

Story Time Themes: Nocturnal Animals, Owls
Peyton Bell
Dec 08, 2016 Peyton Bell rated it really liked it
This book is about an owl who is searching for dinner. Owl hears all sorts of animals, but none he wants for dinner.
I thought this book was cute. It could have been better, it was not as good as I thought it was going to be.
I honestly don't think I would use this in my classroom. I would only use it for something like repetition in a story, but there are better stories that use repetition I can use.
Alice
Sep 09, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
3.75 Stars This books is great! It talks about nocturnal animals from the perspective of the owl. The pictures are lovely and the only reason I didn't score it higher...is I hate mice and I love owls....I wanted the Owl to get the Mice...mice are evil they are only food for other creatures... Overall nicely done!!
Kifflie
Mar 04, 2013 Kifflie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A hungry owl is listening for sounds that may lead him to his dinner, and is foiled several times when the animals that appear (a cat, a skunk, a bat) don't fit the bill. Just when it looks like he's found a nice, juicy mouse, he's interrupted.

The artwork on the animals is wonderful. But the book loses focus at the end. It's confusing. Which is too bad.
Jackie
Mar 25, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
As Owl waits and listens carefully to the night sounds, he is sure he will have dinner soon. But, what is it?...a mouse, a squirrel, a rabbit. Nothing is as it seems at first, and owl must be patient, and patient he is.

Whoo Goes There? is a gentle story of an owl who is looking and hunting for his daily dinner.

Used for "Who's There? It's Me, Owl!" Storytime: March, 2011.
Karen
Night-time noises from animals both predator and possible prey. Normally I like Kitchen's animal illustrations, but there's something rather barren about these portraits. Each animal isolated on its page.
Erica Leach
Aug 25, 2013 Erica Leach rated it did not like it
I really did not enjoy this book. It had repetition in it which I do not enjoy reading the same lines over and over again. Yes it is a good book to start off children who are just starting to read books, but I would not recommend to read.
Kristin
Dec 30, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, owls, preschool
Animals outside at night. Recurring line of "Whoo goes there?"
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story time on 5/29/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Beverly
Aug 20, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
the animals are beautfiully illustrated; very good story
Oct 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Drab and dull for a picture book.
Angie
Sep 10, 2010 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Kids will like the repetition of "just right for my dinner." And this could be a good discussion point for food chains.
Taryn
Sep 16, 2016 Taryn rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Appropriate for ages 3-5, this book allows young minds to be investigative as the owl listens for animals that might be his dinner...
Judy Desetti
Apr 18, 2010 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Good read aloud. Bill Martin list for 2011.
Karen
great way to look at food chains of owls
Susan Erhardt
Jan 07, 2010 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
The storytime group liked it, but were unfamiliar with half of the animals. That surprised me, since they weren't all that unusual.
Amy
Oct 31, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
This story has great repetition so it is good for making predictions. The illustration are great also.

Genre: Fiction
Published:2009
Heather
Jan 05, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A nice introduction for my child to animals she had never seen before. I like the author's use of onomatopoeia. We liked the illustrations as well.
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Lovely artwork & text that rolls from one sound/animal to another making a complete circle from beginning to end to starting point.
Carrie
Feb 15, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute!
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2011
Jgulliks
Jgulliks rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jennifer A. Ericsson is a children's librarian, the author of a number of picture books, and the co-author of the popular The Everything Kids' Puzzle Book series. She lives in Concord, New Hampshire.
More about Jennifer A. Ericsson...