Start by marking “Pete the Sheep-Sheep” as Want to Read:
Pete the Sheep-Sheep

Pete the Sheep-Sheep

Australian sheep shearers always have sheep dogs--smart, well-trained dogs with names like Brute, Tiny, and Fang, who bark commands--"Woof! Arf arff arff! Grrrr!"--to round up the sheep for shearing.

But sheep shearer Shaun doesn't have a sheep dog. Instead, he has a sheep-sheep named Pete, who speaks politely to the other sheep. And no one shears as skillfully as Shaun. T
Published September 12th 2005 by Clarion Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Sheep-Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Sheep-Sheep

Petra Eggs
Dec 10, 2008 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing
The premise of this book is that a kind word accomplishes more than a big bark and that we all feel happier when we look good. To fulfil this premise we are led from sheepdogs being a bit gruff through sheep who operate beauty salons to sheepdogs in hair rollers. What can I say... its truly fantastic and with amazing drawings. Recommended for everyone over the age of 3 whose sense of humour knows no bounds.
GoldGato
Jan 09, 2015 GoldGato rated it really liked it
Jackie French is one of my favourites in the world of children's books (her Wombat series is great). She also happens to be the Australian Children's Laureate, so Oz appreciates her, too. In this book, she illustrates the doings of a fashionista sheep named...Pete. Think of Babe trying to be a sheepdog and you'll get an idea about the unique personality of...Pete.

photo PeteTheSheep_zps280186ac.jpg

At first glance, one gets the impression that this book is satirizing the sheep shearers of Australia, but the backstory is that Jack
Natalie
Mar 21, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
I hate when I forget that I've already read something and then order it, only to realize I've already read it.

But about Sheep-Sheep, in case you were wondering what a "sheep-sheep" does, it's like a sheep dog, except that it's a sheep-sheep.
The other sheep shearers aren't too happy with Pete, who's sheep herding sheep is much better at the job than their dogs.

Confused yet? That's my fault, not Jackie French's.

So Pete and the Sheep-Sheep get run off and have to find different work and decide
babyhippoface
Feb 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Shaun the shearer and his herding sheep, Pete, have their own style, which leaves the other shearers furious enough to kick the pair out of Shaggy Gully. When their sheepdogs desert them to join the banished Shaun, who has started his own salon giving sheep unique, new wool-styles, the other shearers join Shaun and expand the business. From the creators of the charming Diary of a Wombat, Pete the Sheep-Sheep brings more laughs, mainly through Whatley’s clean and comical watercolor-and-ink illust ...more
Jody
It was a nice surprise to not only find a few English-language picture books in the library today, but to find a couple of Australian picture books. This one in particular, I loved. It really made me laugh, especially the translations of "Baaa", and the pictures of the three shearers at the end. Very "Aussie", and a welcome find. We've borrowed this one too, and I'm actually looking forward to re-reading it over the next few weeks.
Dolly
Jan 30, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange, but entertaining story about sheep. The book has a fun Australian theme and the dialogue is humorous. The illustrations are wonderfully wild and silly and we loved the different styles for the sheep.

We've read several books by this author/illustrator team and we like the (sometimes bizarre) humor and fun narratives. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Erin
Jan 17, 2017 Erin rated it it was ok
Cute and a little strange.
Eric Mcweeny
Oct 18, 2012 Eric Mcweeny rated it really liked it
Pete the Sheep-Sheep is a story about a sheep shearer and his talking sheep named pete. The sheep hearer named Shaun uses Pete the sheep to talk to the other sheeps politely and ask them to move instead of using mean sheep dog. The other sheep hearers were outraged that he was not using a sheep dog. Shaun and Pete the sheep start a successful barbershop for sheep were they give them cool haircuts, which gets the local sheep hearers really mad. When the local sheep hearers went to talk to Shaun a ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Why do I get disproportionate pleasure that that the shearer's name is Shaun - and after the sheep visit him they are shorn?

Jackie French and Bruce Whatley have done a fantastic job - their previous work together Diary of a Wombat has been added to my to-read shelf.
Hafidha
May 02, 2011 Hafidha rated it it was ok
Didn't like the faint drawings. Didn't seem appropriate for a 2.5 year old - no matter how much that 2.5 year old loves sheep. Story is kind of all over the place ... I got a bit bored reading it. Some guys have sheep dogs, but one of the dudebros has a sheep-sheep. He keeps it cuz he LOVES cutting off its hair. And then he starts cutting everybody's hair and doing weird things with the wool. It's a bit trippy. Maybe a five year old would like this better.
Susan
Pete is a polite sheep who helps his friend Shaun to gather the sheep for shearing. The other shearers are mad- whoever heard of a sheep-sheep instead of a sheep dog. Good discussion points about being polite and everything works out great in the end. Fun to read with an Aussie accent for the other shearers.
Anne
May 06, 2010 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2010
Pete is a sheep-sheep. That is, a sheep who acts like a sheep-dog. The true sheep-dogs and the human shearers get mad at Pete and Shaun (Pete's human shearer counter-part) and so they start their own shearing salon with unusual sheep hair-dos.

Kids may think it is funny. A bit too forced, like the author is trying too hard.
The Brothers
Feb 19, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Really unique story about a sheep shearer (Shaun) who used a sheep instead of a sheep dog to help get sheep ready for shearing. Love the interaction with the other shearers who use regular sheep dogs. Also neat how Shaun comes up with a solution to his troubles.

Great, great illustrations. Funny and interesting to look at.
AbsentLibrarian
Aug 31, 2015 AbsentLibrarian rated it liked it
A good story about looking at things differently, the willingness to change, and that it's okay to be more or different from what people assume you will be. Great sheep-dos as well! Fun illustrations.
Miss Bookiverse
Jun 20, 2008 Miss Bookiverse rated it liked it
Recommended to Miss Bookiverse by: Muphyn
My sister gave it to me because I had loved "The diary of a Wombat". Pete the sheep is not as cute as the wombat but still pretty awesome. As always, funny heartwarming story and beautiful drawings. Oh and I also got a stuffed animal Pete with the book =D
Libby
Feb 20, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
The story is funny, and therefore enjoyable for adults, and my 1.5-year-old son requests this book often, though he rarely makes it through the whole thing. (he probably just likes looking at all the animals) I bet older kids would appreciate it more.
Kerrikoala
Feb 19, 2013 Kerrikoala rated it liked it
I really like the Diary of a Wombat books, so I thought I'd read this one, too. It reminds me of Babe, as well as an episode of Shaun the Sheep. While it's a cute story, it didn't quite entertain me the way the wombat books do.
Shelli
Apr 19, 2013 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a simple and humorous read that kids will enjoy. Pete takes the art of sheep shearing to an entirely new level. The illustrations are very colorful,the people and animals personality really come through with all their expressions.
Eastofoz
Jan 27, 2010 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-3-to-6r
An excellent read about a sheep named Pete in the Australian outback.
Gabrielle
Mar 08, 2011 Gabrielle rated it liked it
An Australian picture book about farm animals.
Indah Threez Lestari
1056th - 2011
Heydi Smith
Sep 29, 2015 Heydi Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
A fun edition to any sheep themed Storytime.
Sam Sochacka
Jun 08, 2014 Sam Sochacka rated it it was amazing
Having spent some treasured childhood time on a sheep station, this book was a real treat. Another Aussie gem to share with overseas loved ones.
Christopher
Apr 27, 2009 Christopher rated it it was amazing
A great story about being true to one's self and accepting the talents of others. Funny story with equally fun illustratons. My children loved it.
Polly
Feb 17, 2011 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I had forgotten how delightful this book is. Sheep rock, and sheep who wear hats and serve as sheep beauty consultants really rock!
Jillyholdy
Jan 01, 2010 Jillyholdy rated it it was ok
Both seemed disinterested. I think too much was happening in the room. Will try again later.
Sandra Mackintosh
Feb 18, 2012 Sandra Mackintosh rated it liked it
Shelves: junior
The book is about ashearer that has a sheep instaed of a dog, between the two of them they end up opening a sheep salon. for junior children
Bec
Aug 28, 2013 Bec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pete the Sheep who is a Sheep-Sheep (a sheep being a sheep dog) and his mate Shaun the shearer who likes to ask the sheep how they want their "hair cut". A cute story from Jackie French
Beazer
Jul 22, 2015 Beazer rated it liked it
Cute and Humorous
Mckinley
Feb 11, 2014 Mckinley rated it did not like it
I found this a bit odd; it didn't work for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley
  • Cave Baby
  • Wombat Divine
  • That's Not My Dragon...
  • Kisses for Daddy
  • Half A World Away
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
  • "Let's Get a Pup!" Said Kate
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder (A Chowder Book)
  • On the Moon
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
  • The Very Itchy Bear
Jackie is an award-winning writer, wombat negotiator and the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2014-2015. She is regarded as one of Australia’s most popular children’s authors, and writes across all genres - from picture books, history, fantasy, ecology and sci-fi to her much loved historical fiction. In her capacity as Australian Children’s Laureate, ‘Share a Story’ will be the primary philosoph ...more
More about Jackie French...