Start by marking “Leaving Jetty Road” as Want to Read:
Leaving Jetty Road

Leaving Jetty Road

This is the year that Lise—quiet, shy, and solitary Lise—decides to take control of her life by taking control of
Published June 13th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published August 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Jetty Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Jetty Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
114th out of 352 books — 880 voters
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse AndersonJust Listen by Sarah DessenPerfect by Natasha FriendIdentical by Ellen HopkinsKeeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
YA Eating Disorder Fiction
73rd out of 125 books — 433 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
Nat, Lise and Sophe, three friends coming of age in Australia, about to graduate high school with big aspirations for the future, are about to find over the span of one year how rapidly things can change. Nat is dealing with Josh, her eco-freak/chef boyfriend who prefers to be cynical and doesn't really get along with Nat's friends. Lise is hiding a dark secret - what begins as a resolution to become a vegetarian in support of animal welfare, becomes a dangerous eating disorder. Sophe is ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

Leaving Jetty Road was a good read. I enjoyed the book and the different characters. Nat, the main narrator, is a calm B personality, Lise is the intense, very shy A personality, and Sofia just walks to another drummer.

In their twelfth grade year in Australia they make a New Year's resolution to become vegetarians. This leads the three of them on different life paths. Sofia finds her true love, Nat finds her first love, and, for Lise, being a veget
Jess
May 29, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-love
I will start off by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Leaving Jetty Road was set in my hometown of Adelaide, South Australia. Glenelg is a very popular beachside suburb here (I think it's overrated, but that's just me lol), and I could picture it all in my head as I was reading. Burton doesn't go into GREAT detail describing it, but what she does write about the place IS very accurate. Jetty Road is the real main road leading down to the beach and the jetty, and it's lined with shops, ranging fr ...more
KRISTI  ♫ ♪
Wow. This is again, more of a girl book. (Ehhmm Josh) xP
Anyways, this book is rrreeeeallllyyyy good. It's SO detailed and the amount of friendship and love in it...wow...it's just REALLY aamaazing. I think that all the girls should read this book 'cause it'll teach you a lot of important things in life. It's really touching and really detailed and when you read Leaving Jetty Road, it's like your IN the book. It's like you can SEE everything and FEEL everything that the characters are seeing and
Alexa
Jul 10, 2008 Alexa rated it liked it
Shelves: teenbooks
Lise, Nat and Sofia are three girls in high school in Australia who make a New Year's resolution to become vegetarian. Lise takes it too far and becomes anorexic. The other girls go about their somewhat normal lives. It's told from Nat and Lise's perspectives in alternating sections. The book works because you see Lise both from Nat's perspective but you get the added benefit of being inside her head once in awhile. Though I didn't love the book, it's still a good portrayal of a frighteningly ...more
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Mar 01, 2013 Kat (Lost in Neverland) rated it liked it
Shelves: eh, le-sigh
2.5 Stars.

Starting Year 12 at their high school, best friends Nat, Lise, and Sofe are all hoping to get good grades and maybe even fall in love.
Nat gets a job at a local cafe and meets Josh, the drop dead gorgeous chef. They have an instant connection lustiness and Nat is swimming in happiness.
Lise, on the other hand, is busy being torn apart by her own mind. She wants to lose weight desperately and it soon becomes an obsession. Normally chubby Lise is now getting compliments on how lean and fi
Julie
Jan 25, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Nat, Lise, and Sofia are best friends. This year, their last year of high school, none of them foresees the changes that will occur in their lives. This is the year that Nat—the go-between, the peacemaker—gets a job and meets a drop-dead gorgeous chef named Josh. She forms a relationship with him and is devastated when she discovers that he has taken up with his ex-girlfirend whilst she studies for her final exams in SWAC Vac.

This is the year that Lise—quiet, shy, and solitary Lise—decides to t
Grace
Sep 07, 2014 Grace rated it liked it
The first thing I have to say is that the title should be printed in a different font, because for the longest time I called this book, Leaving Jelly Road, because I couldn't tell the difference. But aside from that, its a very good read.

The only interesting story line in this book is the story line about the girl with the eating disorder. (I haven't read it in a while so I forgot names) The other girls are very minor characters with forgettable stories and personalities. The girl with he eating
Watermelon Daisy
Jun 02, 2012 Watermelon Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of Leaving Jetty Road is a wonderful one.

A lot of people have stated in their reviews that this book is plot-less, and in a way, that’s true. It’s basically the lives of three girls as they uncover their true-selves. So really, there’s no main “plot.”

But I loved the lives of Nat, Soph and Lise. Especially Lise, who I think is one of the best female characters I’ve come across in a long time. I can also connect with her.

However, I found Nat and Soph’s story kind of paled in compariso
Kayla
LEAVING JETTY ROAD by Rebecca Burton

There's not really much to say about this book. It was pretty boring, not much happened, there wasn't really anything for me to care about or keep me truly interested. It wasn't a complete waste of time, but I would have rather spent the time on another book if I could've predicted the flatness of this book. It was a pretty dull read; I don't recommended this one.

"There's only so much misery you can allow yourself before some little stubborn part of you bounc
Meg
Jul 22, 2016 Meg rated it really liked it
This book by Rebecca Burton is a coming-of-age story about three teenage girls who are very determined to look for a better change on themselves.

Leaving Jetty Road narrates the challenges on love, friendship, health and school that the three best friends encounter in their lives. The aspect of an eating disorder, anorexia nervosa is included in the story which happens to one of the girls in the book.
Deliasue
Jun 02, 2016 Deliasue rated it really liked it
It takes place in Australia.
3 teen girls are fast friends and it's about their life as friends and also in their alone time.
one suffers from an eating disorder and the others either do not know or are afraid to approach her about it. They stay friends through prom, graduation, and life in general.
Renee
Sep 06, 2014 Renee rated it liked it
Something that bugged me so much I nearly put the book down: italicising odd works. Like Chandler from Friends, but not funny.

I overall found the book just okay. I've read it twice and it didn't get any better. I found Lise to be quite unrealistic and the other two weren't likeable. That said, parts of the story were good.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it
Third wheel Sofie was pretty irrelevant, but I latched right onto what I saw of myself in Lise pulling away from her best friend as said friend gets wrapped up in a boy, and drowning in her anxiety ("The Fear" - oh how I recognized that, only here it was amplified even further). The anorexia on top of that, another of my favorite YA trends, was just icing. Surprise hit!
Mimi
Aug 09, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Just beautiful. Heavy, but fascinating and realistic at the same time. This book completely drew me in, and I can't even point out why.

The mood of the narration reminded me of Melina Marchetta's. What is it with these Aussie YA?
Miharu Rokujou
Sep 12, 2012 Miharu Rokujou rated it it was ok
I thought this was an okay book but I felt kind of bored while reading it. It wasn't very sad or dramatic. I don't have many thoughts or an opinion on it really. I guess it wasn't good but it wasn't bad either.
Janine Darragh
I like how the novel is told back and forth between two characters, and how the eating disorder doesn't completely overwhelm the plot. Also, at the end of the book, a doctor has provided some information and statistics about eating disorders as well as warning signs and resources.
Liralen
Aug 14, 2010 Liralen rated it liked it
Not bad, although I think the book takes a rather simplistic view of the characters' problems. I wish the author had delved deeper - not that I want the characters to suffer more, per se, but I felt that she didn't do more than scratch the surface.
Sep 04, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Aussie fiction.

Here's my review:
Jaime
Nov 18, 2008 Jaime rated it it was amazing
now leaving jetty road is a great book that anyone can enjoy. its about friendship, honesty, and love. read it!!! it's good.
Erika Anelle
Erika Anelle rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
J.J. Johnson
J.J. Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Sarah Mittiga
Sarah Mittiga rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2010
Scarlett
Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2011
Carolina
Carolina rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Tyrion
Tyrion rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Ramona Philips
Ramona Philips rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
sophie
sophie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Gab
Gab rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2010
  • Losing It
  • The Good Daughter
  • Everything Beautiful
  • Pan's Whisper
  • The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Ashbury/Brookfield, #4)
  • Holier Than Thou
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
  • Little Bird (Girlfriend Fiction, #13)
Rebecca Burton has lived within walking distance of various South Australian beaches for much of her adult life. Over the years, she has dabbled in vegetarianism, overseas travel and full-time employment; but she is now happily settled in a life made up partly of work and partly of writing. She lives with her partner, Wayne, and their two dogs. In her spare time, she loves baking cakes, drinking ...more
More about Rebecca Burton...