Marmalade Boy 1

Marmalade Boy 1 (Marmalade Boy #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  6,971 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Los padres de Miki Koishikawa se van de vacaciones a un crucero y vuelven anunciando su divorcio. En el barco conocieron a otra pareja, los Matsuura y pinta el cambiazo. Pero eso no es todo, los dos matrimonios y sus hijos se van a mudar juntos. Los Matsuura tienen un hijo que resulta ser un lindo pibe aunque un poco amargo, como la mermelada de naranja. Y a Miki le gusta,...more
Published 2009 by Editorial Ivrea Argentina (first published December 8th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Marmalade Boy 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marmalade Boy 1

Monica!
So how’s this for a shitty way to wake up? Miki comes downstairs one morning and is met by her parents, who flash her the peace sign and cheerfully announce that, “Hey girl! We’re getting a divorce! Huggles!”

But not just an out-of-nowhere divorce, friends.

No, that would be bad enough.

The thing is, last month when the two of them were taking a romantic Hawaiian vacation, her parents met another couple. And you know how it is, introductions were made, drinks were had by all, and the next thing yo...more
Starbubbles
this was my first obsession series! i love it, almost every second of the series! two families decide to divorce and remarry each other, and just watch the mayhem unfold. ex-girlfriends, past loves, possible new loves, trying to rekindle old loves, in just the first book!
i think i need to pick it up again, it's just that great!
Kuno
Sep 02, 2013 Kuno rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic comedy fans, love-triangle fans
I found my heart beating so fast while reading this, and I don't know why. I guess this manga is just that good, at least for me. I hope to read the rest of the manga series~
Anne L
Cute manga, just love the characters.
Yukino
è TUTTO MIO!!!

Finalmente dopo anni riesco ad avere tra le mani questo meraviglioso manga.

Meraviglioso è dir poco!

é stato uno dei miei primi letti..però "scroccato" da un'amica, perchè avendo visto l'anime ero rimasta insoddisfatta fino a quando lei mi dice che il manga c'era!!! (chissa perchè avevo pensato non ci fosse..ah beata innocenza!) e così l'ho letto d'un fiato!

Altro che il cartone in tv! Ora si che tutto aveva senso!

Ecco perchè era iper censurato!!! Bhè dai..due famiglie che si incontra...more
Sugar
Review for the whole series!

Review:

Now this series is a true shoujo classic and one of the first, popular and well-liked girls manga translated into English. The books were also made into an 76-episode anime series in the 90s. I can clearly see why it’s so popular and loved.

The manga is a delightful light romantic comedy/drama/slice-of-life series. It borders on overdramatic and tangled-relationships-mayhem, like most such genre mangas tend to fall into which span more than 5 volumes, but it ne...more
Lucía Sancho-Arroyo
Volver a tener estas viñetas entre mis manos ha despertado sentimientos que permanecían latentes. Sé que Miki en ocasiones es una histérica, Yu casi indescifrable, Ginta histriónico, la historia edulcorada, pero SIGO AMÁNDOLA, considerándola una de las mejores niponas en su género. Y lo que otros considerarían fallos, yo los considero la clave del éxito. Los personajes son realistas, pero exhiben ese toque claramente exagerado de los mangas y animes, que tanto nos gusta.
Esta colección recopila l...more
Douglas Cootey
My introduction to this series by Wataru Yoshizumi was with the anime, so the manga lacks the pastel moments that made the anime stand out for me. In fact, comparatively the manga art never rises above competent. Yet, the manga has its own charm found in the strong character of Miki.

In this volume we learn Miki's parents met another couple on vacation and decided to swap partners. This is shocking enough until Miki learns the other couple has a teenage boy named Yuu and that both couples have d...more
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Elie
This is a must-read I'd recommend to whoever wants to read a romantic manga.

This series is cute, simple, it isn't written for people to torture their mind. This, though, isn't a bad thing, because when you start reading it you know what you're expecting to get. There is no surprise. I really enjoyed reading it because it was what I needed to read at that time. Something which would lead my mind away from my daily life, something which wasn't happening in a universe too far away from mine. They'r...more
Juwairiah Omar
MARMALADE BOY is about a lovely high school girl named Mikuu who falls head over heals in love for Yuu, a charming and sometimes shy young man. But theres a twist..Yuu is here stepbrother?!?!?!?! When i first began to read MARMALADE BOY i was in a bit of shock.....actually alot of shock! I could not seem to wrap the thought of a stepbrother and a stepsister falling in love with each other! But than I began to think about it...and i thought as i got older "oh. You know what. It's not like they ar...more
Daniela Lanza

Marmalade Boy
Book Review

Marmalade Boy, (book 1) is about Miki’s parents getting divorced and she feels really upset about it. She wishes she can change what’s happening, but she doesn’t want her parents to be sad and do what Miki always says. Miki’s parents are still going to live in the same house their just going to have new partners. I think the author wrote this book to talk about her life in general. I think this probably happened in her life, and she wanted people to know what it was like...more
Nora Cayetano
Sé que muchos lo disfrutaron, pero este manga me sacó mucho de onda cuando me lo crucé por primera vez... y sigue haciendolo.
Recuerdo que una amiga mía era muy fan y tenía todos los tomos, la serie y no sé qué más. Gracias a ella supe el final y con eso me conformo. Yo sólo tengo el primer tomo, y me lo quedo más porque el estilo de dibujo me parece muy simpático que por la historia o los personajes (aunque no tengo nada en contra de ninguno).
Heather
Ah, I love Marmalade Boy. I watched the whole anime series when I was a teenager, so I was excited to see that my public library had the English manga.

Wataru Yoshizumi's artwork is intricate and cute. The story is basically a teen soap opera with a somewhat believable twist--Miki and Yuu's respective parents meet each other on a trip to Hawaii and decide to swap partners, getting divorced and remarried. The only catch is that they are all going to live in the same house as one big family. Miki i...more
Susan
My tour through old manga continues....

Marmalade Boy was one of Tokyopop's first "100% Authentic Manga". In addition to presenting the material in an unflipped format, they snuck cultural information in the sidebars a mangaka usually uses to thank everybody for reading this volume. It's a great presentation and it had a tremendous impact on the US manga market.

Yoshizumi sets up an intriguing love triangle in this first volume: will Miki fall for hot-and-cold-running bad boy Yuu, who stole her fi...more
Alicia
These aren't the worst parents in a manga series but there is so much wrong with their thought processes that it took a serious leap of faith to get past their shenanigans. Apart from that it is a fairly typical romance with the added awkwardness that the two main characters are newly minted step-siblings. I will probably keep reading it to find out what craziness the parents will pull next.
Jayz
Sep 26, 2008 Jayz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jayz by: Found it myself.
Ok, guys, this is going to be my review for the whole series (as far as I've read). I absoluely loooooved this manga. For thos of you who don't know what manga is, its a kind of book from Japan that reads right to left. Most of these are graphic novels. I dunno if they count with Mrs. W though. But anyway, this series is about a girl named Miki whos family has a unique problem. Miri's parents went on a romantic trip together and met another couple. Miri's dad ironically fell in love the the woma...more
Selena
This was an experimental one for Tokyopop, I swear.

This was one of the first manga they left "flipped" Japanese style, if I remember correctly, and they also left Japanese words sprinkled throughout. Bad idea.

Story-wise, it's okay at best. It's a confusing story about two couples who literally play permanent wife-swap and then all move in together for their two children to still have both parents. Oh, and it seems there is a budding romance between our horrified heroine, Miki, and her new stepbr...more
Nicole West
This series is very brady bunch with the two families living together...BUT...how very not brady bunch with the two kids falling for each other. That's gotta look bad!
Chelsea
Contains Chapters 1 - 5: This series looks really interesting and I am looking forward to reading the next volume.
-Marimar-
Tierno y divertido. Un soplo de aire fresco para mí en este momento.
Lexie
Holy shit I forgot how annoying Ginta and Miki were originally...also bad haircut is a BAD HAIRCUT. Matching your crush isn't cool Miki. Ginta you overblown immature jackass your excuses and victim blaming was pitiful. "I didn't want to incur their anger wah wah wah" Did you think even if Miki HAD NOT been standing there she wouldn't have heard your callous words from someone?? Guys gossip too!! IDIOTS. Meanwhile Yuu keep on at it man, you remain a fav.

And no your parents are hella weird even by...more
Ninja Neko
I've seen some Marmalade Boy anime years ago (the OVA?) and didn't care for it. So even though it's one of the very few translated shoujo mangas available on the Flemish market I've never picked it up... until I saw it at the library and figured I'd have a look. And I'm totaly converted - it's actually pretty great! Silly (the good, Japanese kind of silly I love), a fun heroine, a good love triangle, and on top of that I really like the art too. I think I may have to buy this series after all.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2008 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers who like shoujo/"girly" manga
I've read all eight volumes, but I'm only marking one for simplicity's sake, and because adding seven extra books is rather misleading as far as book quantity goes ;).

I was addicted to this series when I read it back when I was fourteen, but having re-read it as a new adult of sorts, I found the tone was WAY too soap-opera-y for me to handle in large doses. I think the concept of the series is still cute, but I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way to read it these days either.
Chibineko
I'm reading this via MangaFox.

This is actually fairly cute. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the manga and the anime, most notably the shift that happens partway through the series and how the author changed it to a far different ending than what she'd originally planned.

(See Wikipedia for what I mean by this. It's spoilerish enought that I don't want to include it here.

Irene
MARMALADE BOY. OHHHHHHHHH MARMALADE BOY <33333333 Dios, me encanta. Todavía recuerdo cuando me levantaba de pequeña para verlo, antes de ir al cole. Después de muchos años sin verlo todavia me acordaba de Miki y Yuu. Es un romance que me encanta. Si os consideráis amantes de Shôjo, este manga no pude faltar en vuestra lista. Y si veis el anime pues mejor, porque aunque yo prfiero manga a anime, el anime tiene una música PRECIOSA, que te hace llorar. <3
Azzahro Wijaya
Di awal cerita, pwmbaca bakalan dikagetin sama orangtuanya miki yang bilang sama miki kalau mereka mau cerai dengan wajah yang begitu bahagia. Mereka seakan-akan bertukar pasangan sama orang tuaanya Yuu. Dan akhirnya Miki dan Yuu jatuh cinta. Bagaimana mereka bisa menjalin cinta yang rumit karena orang tua mereka ini? itulah yang membuat komik ini begitu menarik!
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
  • Mars, Volume 03
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
  • Peach Girl, Vol. 1 (Peach Girl, #1)
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 01: Dandelion
  • Paradise Kiss, Volume 2
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers, #1)
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉, Yoshizumi Wataru) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summe...more
More about Wataru Yoshizumi...
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 02 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 05 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 02 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 04

“this book puts the FUN in Disfunctional” 10 likes