Start by marking “The Dark Abyss” as Want to Read:
The Dark Abyss

The Dark Abyss

Amnesia wrapped her in its soft cocoon
Luce had awakened in hospital with no memory. And the New Zealand police, despite an extensive search, had found no trace of her former self. So for two years she had simply got on with living.

Then she met Conn Ramsay ...and something stirred in her darkened mind. Every glance he gave her, every touch evoked a passionate response. Sure
Paperback, Harlequin Presents #500, 188 pages
Published May 1982 by Harlequin Books (first published December 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Abyss

The Unwanted Wife by Natasha AndersBlind Obsession by Lee WilkinsonA Facade to Shatter by Lynn Raye HarrisThe Scorsolini Marriage Bargain by Lucy MonroeRun for Your Love by Lilian Peake
Hero Ignores, Spurns or Ridicules her Love
78th out of 81 books — 19 voters
The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable-Girl by Sharon KendrickBought By Her Husband by Sharon KendrickVampire Lover by Charlotte LambBillionaire, M.D. by Olivia GatesShattered Dreams by Sally Wentworth
Craziest Harlequins
90th out of 97 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Leona
Nov 27, 2013 Leona rated it did not like it
Recommended to Leona by: Julz
Shelves: hqn-presents
Wow. I'm absolutely stunned. Words can not describe what I feel after reading this book. The hero is one lousy, dirty, slimy, piece of sh#$. No one in their right mind could love him, except a heroine who was not all there upstairs.

This was one mean SOB, that made the heroine crawl to him at every turn. He could strangle, pinch and bruise her, yet have her begging him to love her. Perish the thought if she should happen to find someone else.

(view spoiler)
Julz
Karla
Sure, it's got the standard Harlequin HEA but I don't buy it for a fucking minute. There's going to be plenty of tears, bruises, and mugshots in this couple's future...though a murder-suicide is faaaaaaaar more likely. The hero is grabby, grippy, chokey, and throttley and acknowledges he has a rage problem. The heroine loves to wind him up to assert herself and thinks he's fine as is. Recipe for kittens and rainbows.

So much quotable WTFery I can't even. It always got more outrageous.

Best review
FeliciaKaren
he is absolutely one of the most cruel hero I've ever read.

*********

'Just a vagrant piece of wistaria,' she said, and got to her feet, desperate to put some distance between them.
He knew, of course. Without altering his expression he put out a hand and caught her wrist. She stopped, looking down at the dark crown of his head and the strong bones of nose and cheek as he bent forward and pressed his lips to the scratch. An agony of desire shook her; she almost cried out at the sensations his mouth
Jacqueline
I don't believe he loved her. He was absolutely vicious throughout the whole thing and made her crawl to him at the end. Should have listened to Willa.
Candy
Dec 01, 2012 Candy rated it liked it
Shelves: cruel-heroes
If it's one thing I detest in my romance novels are cruel heroes. Heroes who hurt the heroines they are supposed to love. This by no means felt like a ROMANCE novel. He was too cruel to her and she was really too spineless. Gah! I don't know what to say but I surely didn't feel any of the so-called romance between the two. The heroine evidently loved his cruelness and roughshod treatment of her and he apparently showed his love with these gestures. I didn't believe either of their declarations ...more
Onu
Apr 06, 2014 Onu rated it did not like it
I usually love these heroes with "animal magnetism" but somehow I hated the hero. The heroine was equally bad. I didn't believe her declarations of love. And it was pretty despicable of her to blackmail the hero to marry her. She was lusting after the hero. The hero did have some conscience to refuse to give in to her demands of making love to her. But he was definitely right when he said she was like "a bitch in heat" for she was desperate to get laid, throwing her self esteem out of the ...more
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
May 07, 2016 Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: hero-alphahole, he-controlling-manipualtive, grow-a-spine-girl, reunion-second-chance, h-haunted-by-past, ow-evil-or-nasty-selfserving, hot-xplosiv-chemistry, hate-u-smex-u, emo-unfaithful-or-betrayal, mu_falling-out-and-separation, older-guy-10-yrs-or-more, revenge-payback-vindicatn, hero-smitten, keep-it-in-the-family, h-walks-away, tstl-or-disconnected-mc, part-of-series-sequel, hero-superjellus-possesiv, parts-left-me-cold-or-disturbed, wtf-crazy, hero-cruel-abusive-asshat, amnesia-or-not, train-wreck-wringer, intrigue-suspense-thriller, ott-or-confusing-plot, hero-only-lover, physcal-abuse-manhndlng-by-hero, angst-spiked-up, h-manipulated-vulnerable, h-hurt-betrayed-by-family, he-ignores-spurns-ridicules-hs-love, aus-nz, h-sets-out-to-seduce, hero-cold-unemotional, low-dose-angst, hero-sarcastic-mocking, vintage-dated-ol-school, eye-roller, he-knows-she-virgin, she-grovelling_crawling, he-went-too-far-unforgivble, long-separation, cheated-outta-a-wedding-nite, i-betrayed-u-bcuz, h-h-separated-estranged, h-says-ily-first, poetry-lit-quotes, well-this-was-different, hate-u-love-u, twisted-creepy-lovely, humiliation-degradation-maltreated, wat-do-i-say_smh, this-is-how-i-do-luv-neproblm, h-silly-to-mature, hero-sexistpig-or-misogynist, he-angry-abusive-evil-psycho, wife-be-my-mistress-now, ow-2-or-more, hero-wid-older-significant-ex, sex-aftr-wedding, i-abused-cuz-u-deserved, oh-darling-nothing-to-forgive, glutton-fr-punishment, h-gives-it-gud-to-ow, h-goes-stupid-on-me, h-married-n-dumped, slap-or-more-fr-him, intense-passionate, some-ick-factor, hero-uber-dominant, u-too-immature-fr-me, h-not-vngeful-dspite-cause, he-hurts-or-rejects-her-in-past, hated-more-rated-more, bff-really-best, sting-in-the-tail, he-controlling-ruthless, unconsummated-business, firsttime-on-beach-or-outside, history-wid-sib-czn-fren-stp_parnt, his-cheating-celibacy-status-fuzzy, weddingnight_mare, hero-dishonest, h-dumped-rejected-sent-away, stepmom_mom-wannabe-ow, dark-zone, grovel-remorse-absent, hero-cruel-heartless, hero-still-a-partial-ass, unsure-howto-rate-this-one, secrets-shockers-revelations, runaway-bride, new-place-new-beginnings, hero-adulterous-immoral, dish-out-s_more-my-love, chick-magnet
**shelves contain spoilers**
Lynn
Well...where to begin, we have a amnesia story line where the heroine has missed 2 years of her life when she comes across a man who makes her uncomfortable, he is snarky and almost creepy in his pursuit of her especially considering he is dating a real "rhymes with" witch. He chases her and despite being warned off does everything to get her to recall things any decent human being would never wish ANYONE to recall... hated him...hated...

spoilers!

the story eventually uncurls into a pretty horrib
Roub
Apr 23, 2015 Roub rated it really liked it
this was one intense and painful read. at no point, i felt conn was in love wid luce, it was more like insane lust. he was the devil incarnated. he was violent and sadistic. yet, she was not frightened. the reason being, i guess, dat she had been obsessively in love wid conn in the past. so she cud not fear what she had always wanted. i thought she loved him back then. it was no mere infatuation but she was still just a kid. conn did not know to love selflessly. if he knew, he had have tried to ...more
Suzanne
Sep 17, 2015 Suzanne rated it did not like it
wow this guy was an absolute jerk ..it was the "little things" that drove me nuts ...like chocking her , pulling her hair and leaving bruises...I like reading about alpha males who verbally demand that you bend to their will...this is always good for a giggle....but in this case ...it just wasn't entertaining.

Unfortunately......I hate this guy.

sbf20112011
Jul 18, 2012 sbf20112011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This had a lot of satisfying angst along the way, but I didn't find the ending that satisfying. I rarely like it when the heroine is the one who has to abase herself in the end, even under the guise of reassuring the hero of her love. Still, a decent read if you're looking for some older HP angst.
Beth
So this guy is the second worst Harlequin Hero ever...Hugo still keeps the top spot but this guy....what a creep.
Maura
Kalyee
Jan 31, 2015 Kalyee rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-awful, hq
Not my cuppa.

There was lots of secrets, angst, dark passions and the like that make old school HP so interesting... unfortunately it lacked the main component I need in a romance. Love.

The h lusted and hated , the H was cruel and lusted and indifferent .. But there was no love. Nada. Passion, sure. Lust, yup. But neither of them seemed to really care about the other, no concern or putting the other 1st.

Then at the end when the H (view spoiler)
Diamond
Jun 28, 2013 Diamond added it
Shelves: أحلام
عتاب
كان ماضي لورا مورلي قد غفا سنتين كاملتين لم تستطع خلالهما تذّكر ما حدث خلال حياتها السابقة..عندما التقت سايمون باركلي شعرت شعوراً مخيفاً أن له يداً في ما أصابها لكن هذا الغريب اقتحم غمار ذكرياتها وفرض نفسه عليها كأنها ملكه وحده من يكون ولِمَ تخشاه؟ ولماذا هي منجذبة إليه انجذاب الفراشة إلى النار؟
Kaelee Newton
Nov 28, 2013 Kaelee Newton marked it as to-read
I have it on the to-read shelf just in case I ever stumble along it. It sounds like a book everyone loves to hate! Some of the reviews are hysterical.
Lede
Nov 22, 2014 Lede rated it did not like it
I've always appreciated Robyn Donald's special brand of angst, but this effin H/Conn! An absolute disgusting, psychotic pig.

Amie Doughty
Jun 12, 2016 Amie Doughty rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I think the only thing I really liked about this novel was the descriptions of the New Zealand landscape. Conn was an uber Heathcliff, and Luce a masochist. Definitely an old-school Presents.
Prritii
Prritii rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Sonya
Nov 07, 2015 Sonya rated it did not like it
A horror not a romance story.
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2013
Charan
Charan rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2011
Tia
Tia rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Nan Comargue
Nan Comargue rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Tricia Lenhart
Tricia Lenhart rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Atifaah Patel
Atifaah Patel rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Ellya
Ellya rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Bergamont
Bergamont rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robyn was born on 1940 in Northland, New Zealand, she was the oldest in herfamily, and as a child she thrilled her four sisters and one brother withbloodcurdling adventure tales, usually very like the latest book she'dborrowed from the library.

Robyn owes her writing career to two illnesses. The first was a younger sister's flu. She was living with her husband and her and spent most of thatwinter a
More about Robyn Donald...