Start by marking “Designers Don't Read” as Want to Read:
Designers Don't Read

Designers Don't Read

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Austin Howe is a creative director, writer, advocate, and cheerleader for design-but not a designer. He believes “in the wonder and exuberance of someone who gets paid-by clients to do what he loves.” Howe places immense value on curiosity and passion to help designers develop a point of view, a strong voice. He explores the creative process and conceptualization, and delv ...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by Allworth Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Designers Don't Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designers Don't Read

James
“The bottom line is that times change, culture changes and tastes change, but great ideas will always be great ideas. They will stand the test of time. And insofar as graphic design is about ideas first and foremost, and as long as the execution serves the idea, it really doesn't matter what we call it or how academia tries to reverse engineer it.”

Gems like this permeate this book, which is really just a short collection of stuff that he started writing one day. The miniature essays range from s
Ninakix
There are some nice gems and questions in here. But probably, most of this stuff is best for people who work in agencies or advertising. It's difficult when the definition of design is so broad.
Laura Shields
Very interesting design commentary—helps to rethink the role of designers through historical, humorous, and personal anecdotes. The dialogue about the role designers play in advertising firms and relationship they have with art directors does not apply as much to independent contractors, but could be very useful to revisit later. An easy and enjoyable read, presenting thoughts and ideas worth meditating on.
Michael
An interesting collection of essays on the subject of design. In an nice design touch, each is preceded by a title and an estimate in minutes of how long it would take to read. The content was opinionated and interesting, but I don't feel that I know tons more about design for having read it.
Chris
I spent $20 on this book and that was four times the worth I found within. If I ever read the phrase "My favorite designers…" again, I am going to throw the item I am reading it upon out the nearest window (whether it be a book, a tablet, a laptop, or scrawled on a chalkboard).
James Wilson
A bit negative for my tastes, but overall a great message and lots of inspiration to take with you.
Seth Whitton
Fun and quick to read before diving into your workday.
Christopher
Simply inspiring.
Mary Malkova
Mary Malkova marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Abigail
Abigail is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Tim Stobo
Tim Stobo marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2015
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katarina
Katarina marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Henry Truong
Henry Truong marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Kavya
Kavya is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014