Start by marking “Designers Don't Read” as Want to Read:
Designers Don't Read

Designers Don't Read

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Austin Howe is a creative director, writer, advocate, and cheerleader for design-but not a designer. He believes “in the wonder and exuberance of someone who gets paid-by clients to do what he loves.” Howe places immense value on curiosity and passion to help designers develop a point of view, a strong voice. He explores the creative process and conceptualization, and delv ...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by Allworth Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Designers Don't Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designers Don't Read

James
Oct 05, 2011 James rated it really liked it
“The bottom line is that times change, culture changes and tastes change, but great ideas will always be great ideas. They will stand the test of time. And insofar as graphic design is about ideas first and foremost, and as long as the execution serves the idea, it really doesn't matter what we call it or how academia tries to reverse engineer it.”

Gems like this permeate this book, which is really just a short collection of stuff that he started writing one day. The miniature essays range from s
Michael
Jan 17, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: design
An interesting collection of essays on the subject of design. In an nice design touch, each is preceded by a title and an estimate in minutes of how long it would take to read. The content was opinionated and interesting, but I don't feel that I know tons more about design for having read it.
Ninakix
Jul 22, 2016 Ninakix rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2015
There are some nice gems and questions in here. But probably, most of this stuff is best for people who work in agencies or advertising. It's difficult when the definition of design is so broad.
Laura Shields
Feb 10, 2013 Laura Shields rated it really liked it
Very interesting design commentary—helps to rethink the role of designers through historical, humorous, and personal anecdotes. The dialogue about the role designers play in advertising firms and relationship they have with art directors does not apply as much to independent contractors, but could be very useful to revisit later. An easy and enjoyable read, presenting thoughts and ideas worth meditating on.
Chris
Nov 05, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-design
I spent $20 on this book and that was four times the worth I found within. If I ever read the phrase "My favorite designers…" again, I am going to throw the item I am reading it upon out the nearest window (whether it be a book, a tablet, a laptop, or scrawled on a chalkboard).
James Wilson
Jun 18, 2011 James Wilson rated it liked it
A bit negative for my tastes, but overall a great message and lots of inspiration to take with you.
B.
Apr 20, 2016 B. rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on design I have ever read.
Seth Whitton
Jun 04, 2011 Seth Whitton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and quick to read before diving into your workday.
Christopher
Nov 23, 2010 Christopher rated it really liked it
Simply inspiring.
Brien O'Keefe
Brien O'Keefe marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Chris Pecora
Chris Pecora marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Chang Ching
Chang Ching marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Andrew Dodson
Andrew Dodson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kathleen Creighton
Kathleen Creighton rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Apr 10, 2016
Prabuddha Das
Prabuddha Das rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Brenda L Hawley
Brenda L Hawley rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Matthew Perry
Matthew Perry rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sachin Gaikwad
Sachin Gaikwad marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Trent Bland
Trent Bland marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Matt Conway
Matt Conway rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Jed Merrill
Jed Merrill rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015