Start by marking “Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17)” as Want to Read:
Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17)

Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,053 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
In  September 1925, Scotland Yard DCI Alec Fletcher inherits a large house on the outskirts of London, from a recently deceased great-uncle.  Fortunately so, as he and his wife, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher, are the recent proud parents of twins and their house is practically bursting at the seams.  Though in need of a bit of work, this new, larger house seems a ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published September 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Ship

Anna Bergmark
"Heavens, darling, you are becoming positively domesticated."

Spot on, Marge! Our dear little Daisy Dalrymple is getting boring!

She used to be a well mannered upperclass rebel, finding her own path, getting a job (oh, dearie, dearie me!), surviving on eggs and sardines and choosing the wrong partner, a man beneath her that is. And good for her! It made her likable and easy to root for. But now..?

Now it's all baby talk and middle class vapidness, all nursery tea, drinks parties and "proper respons
Maureen
I always enjoy a Daisy Dalrymple mystery. The writing style and characters are charming. These books really fit the bill when I want a light, stress-free, but well-crafted read. I would say that Black Ship is true to form in all but one respect--the end felt rather weak to me.
Judith Rich
Feb 22, 2017 Judith Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I normally love the Daisy Dalrymple series but I found this silly story of bootleggers smuggling rum during Prohibition a real disappointment. And I thought the identity of the murderer was quite obvious too. A let down in what's otherwise been a great series of cosy mysteries.
Stef
I picked this series up in the middle for a project on Cozy Mysteries. The hallmark of cozy mysteries usually follow some sort of amateur detective and tend to shy away from really gruesome crimes. Think of Ms. Marple in Agatha Christie's novels or any number of extra-lawful observers who just happen to help the police: Nero Wolfe and Archie, Peter Wimsey, and Hercule Poirot. These literary figures are generally just normal people who have a knack for solving puzzles, sometimes they are very una ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #17 Daisy Dalrymple/Alec Fletcher, September 1925, London; amateur sleuth/cosy police procedural, historical. Having inherited a rather nice suburban house with garden square (but it’s round...) - albeit in somewhat peculiar circumstances - Alec and Daisy finally get enough room to spread out their growing family. Some of the neighbors are downright disagreeable, and several appear to be hiding lots of secrets, catnip to the curious Daisy, and when a body appears on the Green in fro ...more
Rebecca
Daisy Fletcher and her husband Alec have a windfall and move into a spacious new house, along with their new twins and a bevy of servants. Daisy likes their next door neighbors the Jessups, wealthy wine merchants, but loathes the scandalmongering Bennetts. Meanwhile, in a series of interludes, an unnamed character experiences the excitement of rumrunning to the US...which just happens to be what hapless federal agent Lambert, formerly of the FBI and assigned to protect Daisy when she was in NYC, ...more
Aoife
This wasn't so much a bad book as one with a topic that didn't interest me that much. I just never cared very much about prohibition-era-themed stories and Black Ship (even though it's set in England) deals with the prohibition so I was just sitting there going 'meh'. The case itself was also quite easy to see through. However the characters were lovely as always and I hope we'll see more of the Jessups in the following books.
I could have done without the random and very forced bringing up of t
Argum
Alec has been left a house and a legacy so the Fletchers are moving. The lawyer handling the bequest seems to not want the Fletchers to move in to the house which happens to be next door to his daughter and her in laws. Prior to actually moving in the bumbling FBI agent Lambert from Daisy's New York adventure appears on the doorstep having been mugged upon arriving for his new job as a Prohibition officer investigating the gangs in roads with British suppliers. The neighbors happen to be in the ...more
Kim
Jun 25, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story Daisy's husband inherits a spacious new house and moves in with his family. Shortly after they make friends with their neighbours, the Jessups, discovering that they are involved in the wine business. Shortly after they move they are visited by Lambert, an FBI agent they met while in New York, who is here to investigate and stop the alcohol shipping to the USA currently under prohibition laws. This is followed swiftly by the return of Patrick Jessup, the departure of Aidan Jessup a ...more
Amy Merideth
I enjoy the Daisy books, they are light and easy and usually keep my interest. Unfortunately, I am liking Daisy herself less and less. From plucky, poor and bucking tradition, she's now a staid, slightly smug matron. With at least 5 servants, sending her stepdaughter to boarding school and letting the nannies raise the kids, she's free to solve crimes but she's lost her charm. Too bad her friend Sakari doesn't have her own book series.

Pamela
Daisy Dalrymple, now married to Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard, moves into a large property in Hampstead, accompanied by their baby twins and a number of domestic staff. The property has been inherited by Alec, and through dealing with their lawyer, Daisy meets and befriends her neighbours, the Jessups, who run a wine and spirits business in the City. Normal domestic life is shattered when a dead body is found in the shrubbery, and links to rum running to Prohibition America begin to emerge...

Th
Cathy Cramer
I enjoyed this light mystery like I have the others in the Daisy Dalrymple series, but this one, I guessed the answer.

Daisy didn't seem to be as compassionate towards people as she usually does. She seemed more annoyed at them - at the Bennetts and Lambert, anyway.

It was fun to see her with her twins. Somehow I must've skipped the book where she got the twins.

Favorite quotes:

"Fussing about whether everything was perfect never caused anything but grief."

"You make me feel there must be some sanity
Janet McCord
Jan 03, 2014 Janet McCord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I always enjoy spending time with Daisy Dalrymple and her family and this one was an especially fun and enjoyable one. Daisy has the responsibility of moving the family into a new home her husband has inherited from a wealthy great-uncle outside of London. What seems to be a favorable event in the family's life turns out to be something else as, in the process of getting to know her new neighbors, a dead body appears in the communal gardens and one of the neighbors' families is implicated. As Da ...more
Nancy Reynolds
Apr 17, 2015 Nancy Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Number 17 - and I am fast approaching the last of the written books. Only a few more to go. But 17 is just as pleasing to this reader as book 1. Daisy and Alec move to a new home - inherited by Alec by an uncle he never knew. What a lovely inheritance. Unfortunately, as usual, there is a dead body found in the vicinity of Daisy - only this time Nana, the dog, is actually the one to discover the body. What a welcome to the new neighborhood because, of course, Alec is assigned the case. It's ...more
Anwen
Jul 04, 2014 Anwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though not my favourite book in the Daisy Dalrymple series, it was still very readable and helped develop the characters further by creating a defunct relative who wills Alec a large house - just when wanted. For once, Daisy does not find the body, but inevitably sets about meddling in her own inimitable way whilst simultaneously throwing a protective wing over several of the suspects. Disbelief does need to be suspended when reading these (Daisy is fast becoming the Typhoid Mary of her set), ho ...more
Ann
Jan 15, 2017 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daisy Dalrymple's husband Alec has inherited a home. The family moves in and begins to settle in and meet the neighbors. A body is found in the communal garden behind the home and, of course, Alec is asked to investigate and, of course, Daisy is in the middle of things. The face that the son of their new neighbor is home from a trip abroad and the other son has suddenly left for a trip seems very suspicious to her and she is bound to find out answers. This was an OK installment but not the best ...more
Cindy
On rereading, I found the mystery in this one really, really slight. The Fletchers are moving into a new house, an American acquaintance comes to stay, and Daisy finds another body. Actually, the dog finds the body this time. Right in their new neighborhood. And the next door neighbors are the prime suspects.

The solution is painfully obvious, but the American is not quite such a cliche this time around. Still, not really worth the reread.
Arlene
It is 1925 and Daisy's husband inherits a house from his great uncle. They discover that their new neighbors are wine merchants. One rainy morning the maid finds a body hidden in the bushes. Who is the stranger? How are the neighbors involved? Why did the son take the train to the north? How are they involved with the illegal exportation of wine to America when prohibition is in effect? I love this period piece. It is interesting to see how the "upper crust" lived back in.
Susan
Charming Daisy Fletcher and her police inspector husband move into a house he's inherited near Hampstead Heath. Daisy is especially taken with her new neighbors, but senses that they have a problem with a mysterious, rude American who keeps calling on them. Meanwhile, the reader follows the adventures of the youngest son of their family, who's helping smuggling liquor into Prohibition-era America.
Nancy Wilson
Apr 27, 2014 Nancy Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this immediately following the much more serious Jacqueline Winspear is a bit like a breath of fresh air--and that is not to take anything away from either authors or heroines. Daisy is a delight. No one is ever killed who isn't a bad guy, and the good guys who occasionally turn out to be murderers quite often find themselves getting away with it in some twist of fate. Just plain complicated fun.
Rebecca
Unfortunately, this was the first in the series that I didn't really enjoy much. I felt that the first few chapters were fine, and then everything got a bit boring. There was much, much description of the weather (which is important to the plot, but only to a point) and of travel arrangements and actual traveling, so much so that it felt kind of like filler. It's also a very Alec-centric book, and I prefer the ones where Daisy is the center of action.
Kirstin
May 26, 2012 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up on a whim--because the cover is cute--and because I wanted to expand my knowlege of detective fiction, and was pleased with what I read. The characters are likable and believable; the setting is interesting and British (for the Anglophile in me); the plot is historically accurate (as far as I am aware) and had enough twists and turns to keep me interested. This is my first Daisy Dalrymple mystery and I think I will likely read more.
Ceejay
Jan 28, 2015 Ceejay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Daisy Dalrymple mystery! Daisy, Alec and the kids move into their first very own home. But wouldn't you know it, a dead body shows up in the neighborhood. This storytakes place in the Twenties, so Carola Dunn slips American prohibition into this great story.The British view of Prohibition is quite interesting. I truly love the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries. They keep getting better and better.Thank you Ms. Dunn!
Apr 17, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in the series that I actually read on paper - the rest were audiobooks. Carola Dunn is a clever writer, and I found this story adventuresome and fun, but it's still total historical chick lit! I wouldn't recommend actually paying for any of these books, but if your library has them, they're definitely worth checking out for an easy and fun woman's detective story.
Maria
Aug 04, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Daisy Dalrymple, actually Daisy Fletcher, strikes again. She is very observant and intuitive. This leads her to helping the police, whether they want help or not. I like her because she isn't obnoxious or pushy but is just willing to listen when people talk to her. It's a fun quick read that is perfect for an escape.
Diane Heath
Jun 05, 2013 Diane Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This installment of the Daisy Dalrymple mysteries takes place after Daisy has twins. Alec has inherited a home from a great-uncle and the Fletchers get to move to a much needed larger home. The dog finds a body in the garden and the new neighbors have to be investigated. It all ties in with the prohibition in America (this particular book taking place in 1925)
Laura Edwards
Jun 28, 2015 Laura Edwards rated it really liked it
This one started out slowly which is the reason it is four stars instead of five. The Sea Interludes were boring, if necessary to set up background for the crime. But once all action took place in England, the pace picked up. Daisy is in rare form in this book and she had me laughing throughout. Much better than the last one!
Karen Cox
The least interesting book in the series. The best parts of the plot describe Daisy's reaction to the new neighborhood. The mystery itself, however, is an afterthought. The main characters are still amusing, even if Daisy's attitudes are more early-21st- century than mid20th. The series is engaging, however, and still worth following.
Grace
Mar 27, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all of the Daisy Dalrymple books. Carola Dunn is an interesting author. Apparently, she has written a ton of regency romances, which I used to read. But I don't think I read any of her's. I stopped reading regencys because they started having more and more sex in them. Makes me grumpy. Anyway, this series is pretty good.
Judy
Jan 01, 2009 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that this book was the 17th in a series. It's the first of the series that I've read and I'm not sure that I'm going to check out any of the others. The book takes place in 1925 in London and provides some interesting insight into the changing social mores of post World War I England. The plot was thin, but on the plus side, it only took 2 hours to read.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Black Ship 1 3 Oct 30, 2012 04:44PM
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9)
  • Death on the Lizard (Kathryn Ardleigh, #12)
  • Sweet Poison (Lord Edward Corinth and Verity Browne, #1)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery #3)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)
  • The Necklace Affair (Captain Lacey, #4.5)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)

“some sort of havey-cavey business where” 0 likes