The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)

The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  55 reviews
American explorer, adventurer, and lover Ethan Gage has braved the sands of Egypt, the perils of the Atlantic Ocean, and the harsh wilderness of early America. Now he finds himself in a desperate race with a powerful band of North African Muslim outlaws. The prize is the Mirror of Archimedes, an ancient superweapon that now, in 1802, could tip the balance of power in the M...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Harper (first published January 16th 2010)

Rachel Barnes
Ethan Gage keeps going strong! This fourth installment isn’t any less enjoyable than the first three in the series, with Gage as fun as ever, and on as crazy an adventure as ever. After surviving the wilds of the American frontier in The Dakota Cipher, Gage is back in Paris in this chapter, escorting three fellow savants – noted zoologist Georges Cuvier, geologist William Smith, and inventor Robert Fulton – through the wilds of the Paris underworld when he is attacked by a mysterious Egyptian wh...more
Paul Pessolano
"The Barbary Pirates" is an Ethan Gage adventure, and if you enjoy mystery, historical fiction, swashbuckling adventure, humor, and nonstop action grab a hold of this series. It is one of the most delightful romps through history you will read. The books should be read in order and the order is"

"Napoleaon's Pyramids"

"The Rosetta Key"

"The Dakota Cipher"

Ethan Gage is an American adventurer, who finds himself in France during the time of Napoleaon's reign. He finds himself in possession of a medall...more
Kara Jorges
I’ve been a Dietrich fan since “Ice Reich.” I have enjoyed both his modern and historical adventures, but he has really hit his stride with Ethan Gage.

Gage is a wisecracking, self-deprecating hero who winds up in the middle of high adventure through his lack of moral fiber, or at least that’s what everyone accuses him of. Gage is an American well acquainted with Napoleon Bonaparte, and winds up occasionally at the heart of intrigue on Bonaparte’s behalf. This time, he’s investigating the Egyptia...more
Éclat-de-lumière
The Barbary Pirates is (I think) the last adventure of Ethan Gage.

(view spoiler)...more
Zach
Another enjoyable Ethan Gage novel! This time around, Ethan Gage is pitted against a Turkish bashaw, his Janissaries, whole ships of Tripoli pirates, an ancient super-weapon, an old romantic conquest, a hellish menagerie of terrifying animals, the Rite of Memphis-Misraim sect of the Freemasons, and, perhaps most frighteningly, fatherhood.

This book was a return to form after a relatively disappointing (though still decent) third novel. Ethan is back in all his wise-cracking, risk-taking, not-qui...more
Jeannie Mancini
A Swashbuckling Adventure of Espionage and Ancient Science

William Dietrich’s fourth installment of the adventures of American envoy and spy Ethan Gage, who tends to be a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow in the sense that is loyalities tend to lie with whoever offers the best deal, comes back strong after a weak third book that had me a little disappointed in Ethan’s future.

Barbary Pirates finally wraps up some loose ends with the explanation of why Ethan has been led on a merry chase around the gl...more
Liviu
While The Dakota Cipher was the darkest Ethan Gage, this one is the lightest and pulpiest with mostly cardboard characters, but the one liners, the zaniness and the non-stop action make it an ultra-fun read though it's harder to take it even the little bit seriously for the most part, moving towards comic book territory.

But in the right mood and especially if you like Ethan, the "brilliant imbecile" as Napoleon calls him, the book is super fan read and I definitely want more, though hopefully we...more
Phillip
I just completed The Barbary Pirates, the fourth installment in the Ethan Gage series. I have to admit that for the first half of this novel, I was disappointed, and almost considered not reading the next two novels after this one (yes, I'm a bit behind). I suppose I have been getting a little tired of Ethan trusting every miscreant he meets, only to be savagely betrayed shortly thereafter. After awhile, like any human being, you would think Ethan--instead of automatic trust--would look at anyon...more
Roger
Ethan has been sent back to Paris to try and start negotiations with the French to sell the Louisiana territory to the US. While taking some gentlemen on a tour of the more bawdy parts of Paris Ethan and his companions soon find themselves in quite a confrontation and set fire to part of Paris. This brings the unwelcome attention of Napoleon. Fearing the worst they are brought before Napoleon; who decides to send them on a quest to find an ancient weapon, supposedly buried upon the island of The...more
Charline Ratcliff
I found “The Barbary Pirates” by William Dietrich to be an attention grabbing tale. This book is the author’s most recent work and features Ethan Gage in yet another adventure. I enjoyed the read so much I will be making a point to read more of Dietrich’s books in the future. Honestly, I had difficulty setting the book down. When I was sitting in court waiting to find out if I was going to be selected for jury duty I was very thankful to have brought it with me.

Ethan Gage, the book’s dashing her...more
Lacey Lane
I really enjoy reading about Ethan Gage's adventures. The best thing I can say about them is that they are always different. The only common theme is that Ethan gets out of a lot of scrapes by pure dumb luck. Much better than reading a Dan Brown/Robert Langdon story, which I know is only somewhat comparable, there is no formula that is repeated book after book with William Dietrich. This time we get to revisit some old characters from the last book and even from the book before that. A totally n...more
Claude Dancourt
I bought BARBARY PIRATES for its title. I hadn't heard about the author, or his Ethan Gage's series.

First parapgrah revealed two things I'm not a super fan of : first person and Historical settings (more or less, French Empire).

I persisted.

And after two pages, I couldn't stop reading. The story is funny, action-packed, with a real treasure hunt, the characters are truculent. Ethan Gage is the perfect anti-hero. He allegebly mercenary and self-centered, all his plans turn bad, but he manages s...more
Cory Furtado
The fourth Ethan Gage adventure finds our hero up against pirates in search of lost technology with great power! The story brings in new characters, and brings back some old ones, in an exciting romp that, like all of Dietrich's novels, will not disappoint. The story is exciting and action packed, and the reader will have a hell of a ride!
Mary
Yet another exciting novel by William Dietrich. Hero Ethan Gage never once again gets himself into and out of numerable jams. This time he's crawling thru caves, fleeing fanatics, stuck in a pit in a prison and facing pirates and death on practically every page. Indiana Jones never had it so exciting. Recommended for archeology adventure junkies.
Ivan
Muuuuy bueno, la verdad es que dudaba un poco de la trama por establecerse en Las Islas Jónicas, Tripolí y Siracusa mas que nada. Pero la verdad es que te mantiene cautivo, a un paso rápido debido a la continuación inmediata del libro anterior y te suscita una serie de emociones que es un ábanico de colores.
Siendo sincero, creo que William Dietrich se puede convertir o ya es, uno de mis escritores favoritos. Le ha dado al clavo con los temas que mas me interesan entremezclandolos con una histor...more
Bernie Charbonneau
Having read all the Ethan Gage adventures that Mr. Dietrich has penned, I find the books entertaining and a quick read that has historical characters and events tied into whatever situations Gage finds himself in.
These novels are set in the 1800's with Napoleon fighting the British.
In this latest novel we find Gage seeking a mysterious mirror that is an actual weapon used to defend against enemy ship attacks. This novel I found a little hard to swallow but after seeking more information about t...more
Shiela
I certainly enjoyed this book much better than the last one in the series.

Ethan Gage is up to his old tricks again, embroiling in a rip-roaring adventure, getting trapped in impossible circumstances and falling for the all the wrong women. This non-stop action thriller made me smile more than a few times although some of the "romancy" parts of it were a bit exasperating. Loved some of the supporting characters. Many of the characters from the previous novels make an appearance so it is very ben...more
Tpmac21

In my opinion, the best of the Ethan Gage novels. Not as far fetched as the Dakota cipher nor as pedestrian as the Emerald Storm. The is the best example of Dietrich's ability to weave a story into the background of relatively obscure historical anecdotes. However, I believe the characterization is much better than in the other novels. We see that there may be more layers to our hero, Ethan, than previously thought.
Michael
Less epic in scale than other Ethan Gage novels, The Barbary Pirates is a tight little yarn that sees the protagonist in search of Archimedes's legendary burning mirror. Gage once again becomes entangled with the Egyptian Rite and many adventures (and misadventures) ensue. As per the formula, Gage gets the girl and the world is safe at the end of the novel, ready to be freshly jeopardized in the next edition.
Denise
#4 in the Ethan Gage series and IMHO a much better book than #3(THE DAKOTA CIPHER). It begins with slapstick humor and progresses into a good story for a cold winter's night. Gage is tossed back and forth between good guys and bad guys but always seems to survive for another round of exploits. Don't read these books out of sequence because the underlying "love" story won't make any sense.
David Schwan
By far the best book in the series. In this adventure Ethan Gage is joined by Robert Fulton (steamship inventor) and two other Savants in a search for Archimedes secret light weapon. Overall this story was less fantastic then the previous books. Most of what happens could actually happen in real life. The same bad guys are still around, the Egyptian Rite of Freemasonry.
Kelli
I really enjoy this series. Ethan Gage is an American who is forced to work for Napoleon and any other country so long as it saves his skin. In this 4th book in the series, he is searching for the mirror of Archimedes while battling the Egyptian Rite. His journey takes him to Greece, Tripoli, and Sicily and reunites him with previous characters from his earlier adventures.
Michael
I really like these Ethan Gage stories. As far as I'm conderned WD can't send them out fast enough. Historical fiction/fantasy set immediately after the American Revolution. Ethan Gage is a gambler and a rascal in the service of the new Republic. He is in Europe and North Africa chasing after mystical artifact that could change the balance of the power at sea... Awesome.
Beth
Sadly, I made the mistake of reading this, the forth of the Ethan Gage books, before I had read books one and two, and now I think I will pass on them. Yes, this is a fun romp but it is mindless and predictable to the point of boredom. Maybe it would make a better movie. A fun read on the beach if you don't mind dropping of to sleep after every couple of pages.
Chad
A fun action/adventure read, very pulpy. But in a good way. Nice to see this kind of story set in a different time period - early 1800s here. It's obvious that Dietrich put a ton of research into this book, and I came away feeling like I'd actually learned something about the era.

I haven't read any others in the series, but didn't feel lost.
Steve
Once again Ethan Gage the traveling American protegee of Benjamin Franklin is off on another adventure. He continues to be plagued by the Egyptian Rite and in this book Barbary pirates as well. Good adventure, and a continuing story line in this book 4 of the series. You don't have to have read the prior books, but it might help put things in context.
Don Lukas
Just like the rest of the books in the series I enjoyed this book as well. I read these books for their entertainment value, and although they are annoying at times because Ethan Gauge just keeps going from one thing to another, I like how he always accidentally finds his way out of trouble. I will continue to read this series of books.
Luke
The continued exploits of Ethan Gage, in which he tackles more nefarious nutcases from the Egyptian Rite, two women from his past show back up, the little corporal (Napoleon) appears, his idiocy gets him and his savant compatriots into trouble, he finds out he is a father, and has to save civilization again. In other words, a fun, light read.
Craig Leimkuehler
This just a quick read to kill time while eating lunch, waiting for the shopping to get done, etc.etc. An improbable adventurer meeting famous people in absurd situations. Sadly the people I work with would probably take it as factual. THis time Ethan Gage battles the Barbary pirates who have joined forces with an old acquaintance.
Rainier
Another plane ride another book needed because i finished the last one on the first leg of the flight. I really need to learn to not pack the back up book in the checked bag. Fun book funny fast passed fiction set during Napoleonic Era, a great read. I started and stopped another of his books guess I will need to push through it now.
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Valley Of The Templars (Templar, #7)
  • Marine One
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Diamondhead (Mack Bedford, #1)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • Altar of Bones
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Final Storm (World War II: 1939-1945, #4)
  • The Hittite
  • The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5)
  • Sacrifice
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
William Dietrich is a NY Times bestelling author of the Ethan Gage series, which has sold into 28 languages. He is also the author of six other adventure novels, several nonfiction works on the environmental history of the Pacific Northwest, and a contributor to several books.

Bill was a career journalist, sharing a Pulitzer for national reporting at the Seattle Times for coverage of the Exxon Vald...more
More about William Dietrich...
Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage, #1) The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2) The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3) Hadrian's Wall The Scourge of God