Start by marking “The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)

The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4)

“William Dietrich is a born stylist, moving characters around on an historical chessboard with the assured hand of a master novelist firing on all cylinders. Ethan Gage is a wiry, battle-scarred hero, with great decency, who rings absolutely true.”
—Steve Berry, New York Times bestselling author of The Jefferson Key

“William Dietrich...should be read by anyone who loves adv
Published April 1st 2010 by Harper (first published January 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Barbary Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barbary Pirates

Benjamin Thomas
I always love a good swashbuckling adventure story and the ongoing exploits of Ethan Gage definitely fits that bill. These stories take place in the Napoleonic era and remind me, at times, of George MacDonald Fraser’s Flashman series. Both characters interact with authentic and important historical events while contributing behind-the-scenes in accidental and often humorous ways.

As author William Dietrich describes on his web site, Ethan Gage is:

“Explorer. Gambler. Diplomat. Sharpshooter. Elect
Bibliothekerin
Rachel Parham
Ethan Gage keeps going strong! This fourth installment isn’t any less enjoyable than the first three in the series, with Gage as fun as ever, and on as crazy an adventure as ever. After surviving the wilds of the American frontier in The Dakota Cipher, Gage is back in Paris in this chapter, escorting three fellow savants – noted zoologist Georges Cuvier, geologist William Smith, and inventor Robert Fulton – through the wilds of the Paris underworld when he is attacked by a mysterious Egyptian wh ...more
Phillip
I just completed The Barbary Pirates, the fourth installment in the Ethan Gage series. I have to admit that for the first half of this novel, I was disappointed, and almost considered not reading the next two novels after this one (yes, I'm a bit behind). I suppose I have been getting a little tired of Ethan trusting every miscreant he meets, only to be savagely betrayed shortly thereafter. After awhile, like any human being, you would think Ethan--instead of automatic trust--would look at anyon ...more
Charline Ratcliff
Apr 23, 2012 Charline Ratcliff rated it it was amazing
I found “The Barbary Pirates” by William Dietrich to be an attention grabbing tale. This book is the author’s most recent work and features Ethan Gage in yet another adventure. I enjoyed the read so much I will be making a point to read more of Dietrich’s books in the future. Honestly, I had difficulty setting the book down. When I was sitting in court waiting to find out if I was going to be selected for jury duty I was very thankful to have brought it with me.

Ethan Gage, the book’s dashing her
Jeannie Mancini
Mar 11, 2010 Jeannie Mancini rated it liked it
A Swashbuckling Adventure of Espionage and Ancient Science

William Dietrich’s fourth installment of the adventures of American envoy and spy Ethan Gage, who tends to be a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow in the sense that is loyalities tend to lie with whoever offers the best deal, comes back strong after a weak third book that had me a little disappointed in Ethan’s future.

Barbary Pirates finally wraps up some loose ends with the explanation of why Ethan has been led on a merry chase around the gl
Céline
The Barbary Pirates is (I think) the last adventure of Ethan Gage.

(view spoiler)
Zach
Jun 22, 2011 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Ethan Gage novel! This time around, Ethan Gage is pitted against a Turkish bashaw, his Janissaries, whole ships of Tripoli pirates, an ancient super-weapon, an old romantic conquest, a hellish menagerie of terrifying animals, the Rite of Memphis-Misraim sect of the Freemasons, and, perhaps most frighteningly, fatherhood.

This book was a return to form after a relatively disappointing (though still decent) third novel. Ethan is back in all his wise-cracking, risk-taking, not-qui
Paul Pessolano
Feb 17, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
"The Barbary Pirates" is an Ethan Gage adventure, and if you enjoy mystery, historical fiction, swashbuckling adventure, humor, and nonstop action grab a hold of this series. It is one of the most delightful romps through history you will read. The books should be read in order and the order is"

"Napoleaon's Pyramids"

"The Rosetta Key"

"The Dakota Cipher"

Ethan Gage is an American adventurer, who finds himself in France during the time of Napoleaon's reign. He finds himself in possession of a medall
Kara Jorges
Dec 21, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
I’ve been a Dietrich fan since “Ice Reich.” I have enjoyed both his modern and historical adventures, but he has really hit his stride with Ethan Gage.

Gage is a wisecracking, self-deprecating hero who winds up in the middle of high adventure through his lack of moral fiber, or at least that’s what everyone accuses him of. Gage is an American well acquainted with Napoleon Bonaparte, and winds up occasionally at the heart of intrigue on Bonaparte’s behalf. This time, he’s investigating the Egyptia
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 Kitten Kisser rated it really liked it
Many of the characters created in this novel have such a wonderful and witty sense of humor. It creates a book that could have been oh so serious into one, that even though serious events are happening you say "uh oh" & "hee hee" all in the same breath. It is a very fun novel to read. Come to think of it, I don't think there was any foul language in it or any overly sexual scenes. So that would make it a rather clean, serious, yet fun novel. :o)
The story is based on true events and character
Liviu
Mar 30, 2010 Liviu rated it it was amazing
While The Dakota Cipher was the darkest Ethan Gage, this one is the lightest and pulpiest with mostly cardboard characters, but the one liners, the zaniness and the non-stop action make it an ultra-fun read though it's harder to take it even the little bit seriously for the most part, moving towards comic book territory.

But in the right mood and especially if you like Ethan, the "brilliant imbecile" as Napoleon calls him, the book is super fan read and I definitely want more, though hopefully we
Roger
Aug 13, 2012 Roger rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Ethan has been sent back to Paris to try and start negotiations with the French to sell the Louisiana territory to the US. While taking some gentlemen on a tour of the more bawdy parts of Paris Ethan and his companions soon find themselves in quite a confrontation and set fire to part of Paris. This brings the unwelcome attention of Napoleon. Fearing the worst they are brought before Napoleon; who decides to send them on a quest to find an ancient weapon, supposedly buried upon the island of The ...more
Les
Jun 14, 2015 Les rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Barbary Pirates is a story about the Pirates who controlled the shores of Tripoli from 1801 to 1805. The main character is Ethan Gage who with the help of George Cuvier, Robert Fulton, David Bushnell. These characters are real people. They are assigned to get the Death Ray that was invented by the great Greek mathematician Archimedes. It is a giant Mirror that uses the sun to magnet fry the heat of the sun to destroy ships. It is up to this team to get this and bring it to Napoleon Bonaparte ...more
Lacey
Jan 11, 2014 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading about Ethan Gage's adventures. The best thing I can say about them is that they are always different. The only common theme is that Ethan gets out of a lot of scrapes by pure dumb luck. Much better than reading a Dan Brown/Robert Langdon story, which I know is only somewhat comparable, there is no formula that is repeated book after book with William Dietrich. This time we get to revisit some old characters from the last book and even from the book before that. A totally n ...more
Claude Dancourt
Jun 14, 2014 Claude Dancourt rated it it was amazing
I bought BARBARY PIRATES for its title. I hadn't heard about the author, or his Ethan Gage's series.

First parapgrah revealed two things I'm not a super fan of : first person and Historical settings (more or less, French Empire).

I persisted.

And after two pages, I couldn't stop reading. The story is funny, action-packed, with a real treasure hunt, the characters are truculent. Ethan Gage is the perfect anti-hero. He allegebly mercenary and self-centered, all his plans turn bad, but he manages s
Ivan
Feb 26, 2013 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Muuuuy bueno, la verdad es que dudaba un poco de la trama por establecerse en Las Islas Jónicas, Tripolí y Siracusa mas que nada. Pero la verdad es que te mantiene cautivo, a un paso rápido debido a la continuación inmediata del libro anterior y te suscita una serie de emociones que es un ábanico de colores.
Siendo sincero, creo que William Dietrich se puede convertir o ya es, uno de mis escritores favoritos. Le ha dado al clavo con los temas que mas me interesan entremezclandolos con una histor
Shiela
Sep 05, 2013 Shiela rated it liked it
I certainly enjoyed this book much better than the last one in the series.

Ethan Gage is up to his old tricks again, embroiling in a rip-roaring adventure, getting trapped in impossible circumstances and falling for the all the wrong women. This non-stop action thriller made me smile more than a few times although some of the "romancy" parts of it were a bit exasperating. Loved some of the supporting characters. Many of the characters from the previous novels make an appearance so it is very ben
Bernie Charbonneau
Having read all the Ethan Gage adventures that Mr. Dietrich has penned, I find the books entertaining and a quick read that has historical characters and events tied into whatever situations Gage finds himself in.
These novels are set in the 1800's with Napoleon fighting the British.
In this latest novel we find Gage seeking a mysterious mirror that is an actual weapon used to defend against enemy ship attacks. This novel I found a little hard to swallow but after seeking more information about t
Ken Turk
Mar 20, 2015 Ken Turk rated it really liked it
These Ethan Gage books are always so much fun. Gage is a 19th century Indiana Jones, looking for treasure in all the wrong places, with a better sense of humor. This adventure takes him all over the Mediterranean with three real life historical savants on a quest to find an ancient, destructive weapon called the Mirror of Archimedes and keep it out of the hands of Gage's nemesis the Egyptian Rite as well as the Barbary pirates. Dietrich does a great job combining the historical with myths and le ...more
Michael
Oct 07, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
Less epic in scale than other Ethan Gage novels, The Barbary Pirates is a tight little yarn that sees the protagonist in search of Archimedes's legendary burning mirror. Gage once again becomes entangled with the Egyptian Rite and many adventures (and misadventures) ensue. As per the formula, Gage gets the girl and the world is safe at the end of the novel, ready to be freshly jeopardized in the next edition.
Vickie
Feb 03, 2015 Vickie rated it liked it
It could be the skipping from book one to book 4 that kept me from enjoying this one as much as I did the intro to Ethan Gage. I just wasn't as enthralled with Ethan's ability to get himself into and out of trouble with the French, the Barbary pirates, the Greeks, etc....that doesn't mean I have given up on the series or the author. It means that I will go back to book 2, THE ROSETTA KEY, and catch up. Some series can be like that. Some need to be read in order to enjoy.
Tpmac21
Aug 08, 2012 Tpmac21 rated it really liked it

In my opinion, the best of the Ethan Gage novels. Not as far fetched as the Dakota cipher nor as pedestrian as the Emerald Storm. The is the best example of Dietrich's ability to weave a story into the background of relatively obscure historical anecdotes. However, I believe the characterization is much better than in the other novels. We see that there may be more layers to our hero, Ethan, than previously thought.
George
Jun 05, 2016 George rated it did not like it
This is the fourth "Ethan Gage Adventure." The first two books in this series were great, and the next one was awful. I was hoping for a return the quality of the first two, but this was a continuation of the latter. The spark and intrigue of the first two is lost. This book, like the other three, is told in the first person (Gage). Even Gage seemed bored at the formulaic sequences of events. I finished the book hoping that it would somehow improve, but it did not.
Don Lukas
Oct 30, 2011 Don Lukas rated it really liked it
Just like the rest of the books in the series I enjoyed this book as well. I read these books for their entertainment value, and although they are annoying at times because Ethan Gauge just keeps going from one thing to another, I like how he always accidentally finds his way out of trouble. I will continue to read this series of books.
Mark
A continuation of the Ethan Gage series...our intrepid adventurer continues his Egyptian Rite conflict, this time intertwined in the Barbary Wars accompanied by English, French and American historical figures...along the way Ethan and us discover some surprising additions to the story...as always a fun, fun read!!
Kelli
May 21, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. Ethan Gage is an American who is forced to work for Napoleon and any other country so long as it saves his skin. In this 4th book in the series, he is searching for the mirror of Archimedes while battling the Egyptian Rite. His journey takes him to Greece, Tripoli, and Sicily and reunites him with previous characters from his earlier adventures.
Craig Leimkuehler
This just a quick read to kill time while eating lunch, waiting for the shopping to get done, etc.etc. An improbable adventurer meeting famous people in absurd situations. Sadly the people I work with would probably take it as factual. THis time Ethan Gage battles the Barbary pirates who have joined forces with an old acquaintance.
Susan
Sep 17, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ethan is one of those bumbling heroes who is always blindly walking into deadly situations and having to find a miraculous way out of them. Sort of reminds one of Indiana Jones, but with less charisma and charm. It was an okay historical novel, but not enough to make me want to read the rest of the series
Michael
I really like these Ethan Gage stories. As far as I'm conderned WD can't send them out fast enough. Historical fiction/fantasy set immediately after the American Revolution. Ethan Gage is a gambler and a rascal in the service of the new Republic. He is in Europe and North Africa chasing after mystical artifact that could change the balance of the power at sea... Awesome.
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • The Hittite
  • The Icon Thief
  • The Dawn's Early Light
  • The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe, #2)
  • Command a King's Ship (Richard Bolitho, #8)
  • Man of Honour (Jack Steel, #1)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • The Julian Secret (Lang Reilly #2)
  • The Devil's Elixir (Templar, #3)
William Dietrich is a NY Times bestelling author of the Ethan Gage series of eight books which have sold into 28 languages. He is also the author of six other adventure novels, several nonfiction works on the environmental history of the Pacific Northwest, and a contributor to several books.

Bill was a career journalist, sharing a Pulitzer for national reporting at the Seattle Times for coverage of
More about William Dietrich...

Ethan Gage (8 books)
  • Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage, #1)
  • The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm (Ethan Gage, #5)
  • The Barbed Crown (Ethan Gage, #6)
  • The Three Emperors (Ethan Gage, #7)
  • The Trojan Icon (Ethan Gage, #8)