Start by marking “The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage, #4)

The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  66 reviews
As dazzling and action packed as the best novels of James Rollins, George MacDonald Fraser, and Steve Berry, The Barbary Pirates will have readers cheering for William Dietrich and his dashing hero, Ethan Gage!

Swashbuckling American explorer and ladies' man Ethan Gage has seen his fair share of danger, having braved the sands of Egypt, the perils of the Atlantic Ocean, an
Published April 1st 2010 by Harper (first published January 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Barbary Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barbary Pirates

Benjamin Thomas
I always love a good swashbuckling adventure story and the ongoing exploits of Ethan Gage definitely fits that bill. These stories take place in the Napoleonic era and remind me, at times, of George MacDonald Fraser’s Flashman series. Both characters interact with authentic and important historical events while contributing behind-the-scenes in accidental and often humorous ways.

As author William Dietrich describes on his web site, Ethan Gage is:

“Explorer. Gambler. Diplomat. Sharpshooter. Elect
Kitten Kisser
Many of the characters created in this novel have such a wonderful and witty sense of humor. It creates a book that could have been oh so serious into one, that even though serious events are happening you say "uh oh" & "hee hee" all in the same breath. It is a very fun novel to read. Come to think of it, I don't think there was any foul language in it or any overly sexual scenes. So that would make it a rather clean, serious, yet fun novel. :o)
The story is based on true events and character
Les
The Barbary Pirates is a story about the Pirates who controlled the shores of Tripoli from 1801 to 1805. The main character is Ethan Gage who with the help of George Cuvier, Robert Fulton, David Bushnell. These characters are real people. They are assigned to get the Death Ray that was invented by the great Greek mathematician Archimedes. It is a giant Mirror that uses the sun to magnet fry the heat of the sun to destroy ships. It is up to this team to get this and bring it to Napoleon Bonaparte ...more
Ken Turk
These Ethan Gage books are always so much fun. Gage is a 19th century Indiana Jones, looking for treasure in all the wrong places, with a better sense of humor. This adventure takes him all over the Mediterranean with three real life historical savants on a quest to find an ancient, destructive weapon called the Mirror of Archimedes and keep it out of the hands of Gage's nemesis the Egyptian Rite as well as the Barbary pirates. Dietrich does a great job combining the historical with myths and le ...more
Rachel Barnes
Ethan Gage keeps going strong! This fourth installment isn’t any less enjoyable than the first three in the series, with Gage as fun as ever, and on as crazy an adventure as ever. After surviving the wilds of the American frontier in The Dakota Cipher, Gage is back in Paris in this chapter, escorting three fellow savants – noted zoologist Georges Cuvier, geologist William Smith, and inventor Robert Fulton – through the wilds of the Paris underworld when he is attacked by a mysterious Egyptian wh ...more
Paul Pessolano
"The Barbary Pirates" is an Ethan Gage adventure, and if you enjoy mystery, historical fiction, swashbuckling adventure, humor, and nonstop action grab a hold of this series. It is one of the most delightful romps through history you will read. The books should be read in order and the order is"

"Napoleaon's Pyramids"

"The Rosetta Key"

"The Dakota Cipher"

Ethan Gage is an American adventurer, who finds himself in France during the time of Napoleaon's reign. He finds himself in possession of a medall
Kara Jorges
I’ve been a Dietrich fan since “Ice Reich.” I have enjoyed both his modern and historical adventures, but he has really hit his stride with Ethan Gage.

Gage is a wisecracking, self-deprecating hero who winds up in the middle of high adventure through his lack of moral fiber, or at least that’s what everyone accuses him of. Gage is an American well acquainted with Napoleon Bonaparte, and winds up occasionally at the heart of intrigue on Bonaparte’s behalf. This time, he’s investigating the Egyptia
Éclat-de-lumière
The Barbary Pirates is (I think) the last adventure of Ethan Gage.

(view spoiler)
Zach
Another enjoyable Ethan Gage novel! This time around, Ethan Gage is pitted against a Turkish bashaw, his Janissaries, whole ships of Tripoli pirates, an ancient super-weapon, an old romantic conquest, a hellish menagerie of terrifying animals, the Rite of Memphis-Misraim sect of the Freemasons, and, perhaps most frighteningly, fatherhood.

This book was a return to form after a relatively disappointing (though still decent) third novel. Ethan is back in all his wise-cracking, risk-taking, not-qui
Jeannie Mancini
A Swashbuckling Adventure of Espionage and Ancient Science

William Dietrich’s fourth installment of the adventures of American envoy and spy Ethan Gage, who tends to be a bit like Captain Jack Sparrow in the sense that is loyalities tend to lie with whoever offers the best deal, comes back strong after a weak third book that had me a little disappointed in Ethan’s future.

Barbary Pirates finally wraps up some loose ends with the explanation of why Ethan has been led on a merry chase around the gl
Liviu
While The Dakota Cipher was the darkest Ethan Gage, this one is the lightest and pulpiest with mostly cardboard characters, but the one liners, the zaniness and the non-stop action make it an ultra-fun read though it's harder to take it even the little bit seriously for the most part, moving towards comic book territory.

But in the right mood and especially if you like Ethan, the "brilliant imbecile" as Napoleon calls him, the book is super fan read and I definitely want more, though hopefully we
Phillip
I just completed The Barbary Pirates, the fourth installment in the Ethan Gage series. I have to admit that for the first half of this novel, I was disappointed, and almost considered not reading the next two novels after this one (yes, I'm a bit behind). I suppose I have been getting a little tired of Ethan trusting every miscreant he meets, only to be savagely betrayed shortly thereafter. After awhile, like any human being, you would think Ethan--instead of automatic trust--would look at anyon ...more
Roger
Ethan has been sent back to Paris to try and start negotiations with the French to sell the Louisiana territory to the US. While taking some gentlemen on a tour of the more bawdy parts of Paris Ethan and his companions soon find themselves in quite a confrontation and set fire to part of Paris. This brings the unwelcome attention of Napoleon. Fearing the worst they are brought before Napoleon; who decides to send them on a quest to find an ancient weapon, supposedly buried upon the island of The ...more
Charline Ratcliff
I found “The Barbary Pirates” by William Dietrich to be an attention grabbing tale. This book is the author’s most recent work and features Ethan Gage in yet another adventure. I enjoyed the read so much I will be making a point to read more of Dietrich’s books in the future. Honestly, I had difficulty setting the book down. When I was sitting in court waiting to find out if I was going to be selected for jury duty I was very thankful to have brought it with me.

Ethan Gage, the book’s dashing her
Lacey
I really enjoy reading about Ethan Gage's adventures. The best thing I can say about them is that they are always different. The only common theme is that Ethan gets out of a lot of scrapes by pure dumb luck. Much better than reading a Dan Brown/Robert Langdon story, which I know is only somewhat comparable, there is no formula that is repeated book after book with William Dietrich. This time we get to revisit some old characters from the last book and even from the book before that. A totally n ...more
Claude Dancourt
I bought BARBARY PIRATES for its title. I hadn't heard about the author, or his Ethan Gage's series.

First parapgrah revealed two things I'm not a super fan of : first person and Historical settings (more or less, French Empire).

I persisted.

And after two pages, I couldn't stop reading. The story is funny, action-packed, with a real treasure hunt, the characters are truculent. Ethan Gage is the perfect anti-hero. He allegebly mercenary and self-centered, all his plans turn bad, but he manages s
Vickie
It could be the skipping from book one to book 4 that kept me from enjoying this one as much as I did the intro to Ethan Gage. I just wasn't as enthralled with Ethan's ability to get himself into and out of trouble with the French, the Barbary pirates, the Greeks, etc....that doesn't mean I have given up on the series or the author. It means that I will go back to book 2, THE ROSETTA KEY, and catch up. Some series can be like that. Some need to be read in order to enjoy.
Cory Furtado
The fourth Ethan Gage adventure finds our hero up against pirates in search of lost technology with great power! The story brings in new characters, and brings back some old ones, in an exciting romp that, like all of Dietrich's novels, will not disappoint. The story is exciting and action packed, and the reader will have a hell of a ride!
Mary
Yet another exciting novel by William Dietrich. Hero Ethan Gage never once again gets himself into and out of numerable jams. This time he's crawling thru caves, fleeing fanatics, stuck in a pit in a prison and facing pirates and death on practically every page. Indiana Jones never had it so exciting. Recommended for archeology adventure junkies.
Vicki Kohl
Fun adventure read.The narrator is engaging; the pace is fast, but his ability to consistently escape sure doom is sometimes a bit much. However, I'll likely read others for the history, the Ben Franklin quotations, and the fun.
Ivan
Muuuuy bueno, la verdad es que dudaba un poco de la trama por establecerse en Las Islas Jónicas, Tripolí y Siracusa mas que nada. Pero la verdad es que te mantiene cautivo, a un paso rápido debido a la continuación inmediata del libro anterior y te suscita una serie de emociones que es un ábanico de colores.
Siendo sincero, creo que William Dietrich se puede convertir o ya es, uno de mis escritores favoritos. Le ha dado al clavo con los temas que mas me interesan entremezclandolos con una histor
Bernie Charbonneau
Having read all the Ethan Gage adventures that Mr. Dietrich has penned, I find the books entertaining and a quick read that has historical characters and events tied into whatever situations Gage finds himself in.
These novels are set in the 1800's with Napoleon fighting the British.
In this latest novel we find Gage seeking a mysterious mirror that is an actual weapon used to defend against enemy ship attacks. This novel I found a little hard to swallow but after seeking more information about t
Shiela
I certainly enjoyed this book much better than the last one in the series.

Ethan Gage is up to his old tricks again, embroiling in a rip-roaring adventure, getting trapped in impossible circumstances and falling for the all the wrong women. This non-stop action thriller made me smile more than a few times although some of the "romancy" parts of it were a bit exasperating. Loved some of the supporting characters. Many of the characters from the previous novels make an appearance so it is very ben
Randy
Like it a lot. Looking forward to reading more.
Dave Humphrey
Unbelievably unbelivable.
Tpmac21

In my opinion, the best of the Ethan Gage novels. Not as far fetched as the Dakota cipher nor as pedestrian as the Emerald Storm. The is the best example of Dietrich's ability to weave a story into the background of relatively obscure historical anecdotes. However, I believe the characterization is much better than in the other novels. We see that there may be more layers to our hero, Ethan, than previously thought.
Michael
Less epic in scale than other Ethan Gage novels, The Barbary Pirates is a tight little yarn that sees the protagonist in search of Archimedes's legendary burning mirror. Gage once again becomes entangled with the Egyptian Rite and many adventures (and misadventures) ensue. As per the formula, Gage gets the girl and the world is safe at the end of the novel, ready to be freshly jeopardized in the next edition.
Denise
#4 in the Ethan Gage series and IMHO a much better book than #3(THE DAKOTA CIPHER). It begins with slapstick humor and progresses into a good story for a cold winter's night. Gage is tossed back and forth between good guys and bad guys but always seems to survive for another round of exploits. Don't read these books out of sequence because the underlying "love" story won't make any sense.
David Schwan
By far the best book in the series. In this adventure Ethan Gage is joined by Robert Fulton (steamship inventor) and two other Savants in a search for Archimedes secret light weapon. Overall this story was less fantastic then the previous books. Most of what happens could actually happen in real life. The same bad guys are still around, the Egyptian Rite of Freemasonry.
Kelli
I really enjoy this series. Ethan Gage is an American who is forced to work for Napoleon and any other country so long as it saves his skin. In this 4th book in the series, he is searching for the mirror of Archimedes while battling the Egyptian Rite. His journey takes him to Greece, Tripoli, and Sicily and reunites him with previous characters from his earlier adventures.
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Dawn's Early Light
  • The Aztec Heresy (Finn Ryan, #4)
  • The Bones of Odin (Matt Drake, #1)
  • Altar of Bones
  • Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
William Dietrich is a NY Times bestelling author of the Ethan Gage series, seven books which have sold into 28 languages. He is also the author of six other adventure novels, several nonfiction works on the environmental history of the Pacific Northwest, and a contributor to several books.

Bill was a career journalist, sharing a Pulitzer for national reporting at the Seattle Times for coverage of t
More about William Dietrich...

Ethan Gage (7 books)
  • Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage, #1)
  • The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2)
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • The Emerald Storm (Ethan Gage, #5)
  • The Barbed Crown (Ethan Gage, #6)
  • The Three Emperors (Ethan Gage, #7)
Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage, #1) The Rosetta Key (Ethan Gage, #2) The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3) Hadrian's Wall The Scourge of God