Start by marking “You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom” as Want to Read:
You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom

The creator and executive producer of Everybody Loves Raymond dissects the art of comedy and the making of a sitcom classic

In television, where programs can premiere and disappear in the same week, Everybody Loves Raymond reigned as America’s best-loved show for nine years with more than seventeen million viewers. As the number-one sitcom, it received more than seventy E
Published October 19th 2006 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about You're Lucky You're Funny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Lucky You're Funny

Jul 11, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly my typical response to "Everybody Loves Raymond" is sighing "not everybody" as I change the channel. I got this mp3 on the cheap and was just hoping to have a few laughs amid what was sure to be a name-dropping, big-shot-Hollywood memoir, filled with crazy party stories.

I got my laughs. And tears. And some touching family stories, sentimental moments, and invaluable advice that extends well outside of television. There was only one "big-shot-Hollywood" story where Rosenthal uses a per
Jul 15, 2016 Randee rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I think Phil Rosenthal is a funny guy. There's no doubt in my mind had he not been writer and director of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', the show would not be as great a sitcom as it is. I've watched Phil in a documentary where he helps Russian TV get their version of 'Everybody Loves Raymond' up and running and that was funny, strange and interesting. Much of this book revolved around the making of 'Raymond' which I found interesting since I always liked the show. But my favorite part is his chapte ...more
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it really liked it
Phil Rosenthal is the creator and writer of the famous sitcom, "Everybody Loves Raymond". This book is his biography from his childhood to his years on the show. I heard the audio version of the book and it was really funny. Filled with anecdotes and delivered with his Bronx accent, Phil talks about the various aspects of producing the show from writing to managing the crew. It does help if you have seen the show because he talks about how some of the more famous episodes were created from real- ...more
Matt Nix
Jan 02, 2011 Matt Nix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A fun read, and interesting if you're into TV writing.
Simon Lipson
May 06, 2013 Simon Lipson rated it really liked it
Interesting stuff about Rosenthal's serendipitous journey, from nice Jewish middle-class New York potz (putz, for my American friends) to creator/showrunner of Raymond. A proper schlemiel who wanted to be an actor, he worked in a variety of crappy jobs while auditioning, performing in blink-and-you'd-miss-'em productions and, mainly, waiting for his opportunity. He discovered his real knack was for writing comedy when re-writing a part in a largely extemporised piece (for which someone else took ...more
Leah Wescott
While I'm not a rabid fan of Everybody Loves Raymond, I'd never seen an episode I didn't enjoy and I was intrigued by the notion of learning about the behind-the-scenes leadership of the healthy creative writing environment. I'm thrilled I gave it a try. Phil Rosenthal is a smart, self-deprecating, hilarious, generous writer who broke Hollywood's standards by eschewing egos, focus groups and bureaucracy to see if valuing human connections and high quality writing might just work in something oth ...more
Sonia Reppe
Oct 06, 2007 Sonia Reppe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody Loves Raymond Fans
Everybody Loves A Funny Memoir

As a kid, Phil Rosenthal loved television with a passion. He learned how to turn that passion into creativity, and to make that creativity his way of earning a living. He is one of the best writers alive today, because he knows how to find the funny (as he says, "almost anyone's life can be turned into fuel for comedy); but also how to impart good themes and a value system at the same time: kindness, loyalty, forgiveness, love your family, enjoy your life.

Jocks use
May 11, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
An excellent book that is part biography and part description of the making of a sitcom. Loved it even more as because you feel that you know the author personally and you enjoy knowing the back story.
Debra Fordham
Jul 07, 2013 Debra Fordham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this audiobook! Phil reads it himself and even includes audio sound bites from various speeches he's given. Felt very personal and chatty. And Phil is HILARIOUS. Really knows how to tell a story. And his story really is "regular guy makes good". Inspiring that for once, a nice guy finished first -- since that really never happens much in Hollywood. My only question regarding this book is whether or not it would be interesting to anyone who either isn't a fan of "Everybody Loves Raymond" or ...more
Elizabeth Jenks
Sep 23, 2012 Elizabeth Jenks rated it liked it
ok. i just want to start by thanking phil rosenthal and his crew for Everybody Loves Raymond. so many wonderful laughs. days without network tv were never dull when filled with Raymond on DVD. it seems like it never gets old. that being said, i expected this book to mak me double over in laughter, just as the show did. well, as you might imagine, the book is about all the hard work that made that amazing comedy possible. the book is only funny when it mentions a well-known show bit. even so, it ...more
Oct 05, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
As an enormous fan of Everybody Loves Raymond, I'm not surprised that I found this book witty, charming, and, at times, laugh out loud funny. Phil Rosenthal is an American treasure.
Mar 14, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
I was a big fan of the show "Everybody Loves Raymond," so this was fun to read. The book is a memoir of the creator of the show. The creation of the sitcom was a part of the book. He tells how they found the cast and how the premise for the show was based on his and Ray's real families. Things that happened in their lives with their wives and kids would end up on the show. I liked his attention to details and how they tried to make the characters as real as possible.
If you are interested in come
April Burk Clark
Jul 14, 2013 April Burk Clark rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this audiobook. The author/narrator was warm, funny, anecdotal... I hadn't seen many episodes of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and I didn't need to in order to enjoy this behind-the-scenes look at the making of a popular sitcom. Now that I finished the book, I watched the first two episodes on Netflix and felt like an insider, knowing how some of the lines came about. I recommend this book if you have any interest at all in the entertainment business.
Mar 25, 2016 Simone rated it really liked it
Great fun for fans!

Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my all-time favourite TV shows; I own the entire series on DVD and the episodes still make me laugh out loud even all these years later!

Some parts of this book were better than others, but if you’re a fan like me you’ll agree that on the whole it was entertaining and well worth the time.
Aug 24, 2016 Christian rated it it was amazing
This might be among the funniest books I have ever read. After reading this book, I am convinced that Phil Rosenthal might be one of the funniest people on the planet. But interspersed with the seemingly endless anecdotes is advice and insight, not just on show business but on human nature and the idea of family. I am not really a huge "Raymond" fan, but after reading this I am certainly going to revisit the series.
May 10, 2008 Justin rated it really liked it
I am an spiring comedy wiriter, so I found this book to be pretty inspiring as well as cautionary. If the "suits" in the business are as back biting and deplorable as Rosenthal paints them, I may have to remember to, "be careful what I wish for".

Anway, this is a breezy, fun read and loaded with a lot of funny anectdotes. Anyone interested in "the business" or a fan of the show should check this out.
Jul 16, 2015 Cate rated it liked it
It's okay.. .kind of like a stand up routine/memoir. Not as funny as I hoped, but okay.
Paul French
Aug 07, 2011 Paul French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great look behind the scenes of a hit sitcom. Phil Rosenthal is known for running one of the best writers' rooms in recent years. He was insistent that his writers worked regular hours because how could they write about real life if they weren't actually living it? It's a funny book, no matter how you feel about the show itself.
Feb 04, 2008 Megankellie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writer!
A good peek into putting together a shew and someone with opinions about tv that you'll like. Also, a good description of getting an acting career "just struggle for 10 years, be a writer for 5, make a hit sitcom, write that for 9 years, finally do a movie" That is a crap paraphrase.
Dec 21, 2007 Mike rated it liked it
This is an autobiography and how-I-did-it book by the creator of "Everyone Loves Raymond." It's a fun, easy read if you're OK with his ba-dum-bum, Borscht Belt writing style. I enjoyed it because I'm a fan of the show and it had a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes TV-business stuff.
Mar 01, 2010 Jennywhoa rated it it was amazing
This book is HILARIOUS. I mean, I laughed out loud numerous times. I am a huge fan of Everybody Loves Raymond but this book is a must read for anyone wanting to become a writer/producer of sitcoms/television. A MUST read! Great book, quick read. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.
Mar 13, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Much better than I expected. I actually learned some life lessons from this book, and plan to reread it.
Jul 24, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
Great book from the exec director of "Everybody Loves Raymond". I loved watching his path from kid who got by be funny and loved to watch sitcoms to one who created one of the best. Esp loved all the insight into what makes good comic writing and good quality tv.
Scott Smith
For my media class this week we are focusing on Everybody Loves Raymond. This is a nice little book by the shows creator about his funny life and how the show came into being. It is pretty funny, and also some interesting insights into the world of US media.
Jan 07, 2008 Africableu rated it liked it
Funny, interesting, neat "behind-the-scenes" book. The author is a hoot, of course, and reading the book made me want to rent the EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND DVDs to see the episodes mentioned in the book.
Dec 08, 2007 Tony rated it really liked it
The man behind one of the funniest sitcoms of all time - Everybody Loves Raymond - shares his life story that inspired different elements of the show.
Really funny! I think it would be entertaining even for those that aren't familiar with the Everybody Loves Raymond tv show.
Apr 15, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Extremely entertaining and delightful. It was a lot of fun to learn where the stories for Everybody Loves Raymond came from. Wonderful.
Elizabeth Karr
May 18, 2011 Elizabeth Karr rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's funny with a lot of heart. Good read with insights on collaborating on a TV sitcom (Everybody Loves Raymond).
Jul 30, 2011 Martha rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
funny background info on the creation of EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND. Quick read, lots of fun facts, great for fans of the series.
  • Creativity for Life: Practical Advice on the Artist's Personality, and Career from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • The Better World Handbook: Small Changes That Make a Big Difference
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Never Too Late: Your Roadmap to Reinvention (without getting lost along the way)
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
  • The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy
  • The Only Grant-Writing Book You'll Ever Need: Top Grant Writers and Grant Givers Share Their Secrets
  • Maybe We'll Have You Back: The Life of a Perennial TV Guest Star
  • Just When I Thought I'd Dropped My Last Egg: Life and Other Calamities
  • Get a Freelance Life:'s Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Comedy Writing Secrets
  • Priceless Memories
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide
  • Yes, You're Pregnant, But What About Me?
Television writer and producer who is best known as the creator, writer and executive producer for the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond.
More about Phil Rosenthal...