Start by marking “The Kings & Queens of Europe from Medieval Tyrants to Mad Monarchs (A Dark History)” as Want to Read:

The Kings & Queens of Europe from Medieval Tyrants to Mad Monarchs (A Dark History Series)

Beneath the splendor and sophistication of the monarchies of continental Europe are tales of scandal, mystery, and skullduggery. A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe peels away the glitz to take a wry look at what really happened in the corridors, bedrooms, and dungeons of European power, from the Middle Ages to the present day.

Spanning the whole of mainland co

Published December 31st 2008 by Metro Books (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Kings & Queens of Europe from Medieval Tyrants to Mad Monarchs

Thomas Utomo

Cetakan : Pertama, 2013
Tebal : 252 halaman
ISBN : 978-602-02-1963-9
Harga : Rp98.800,00

Jas merah; jangan sekali-kali melupakan sejarah! Demikian ungkapan Bung Karno yang sangat terkenal. Memang sepatutnya sejarah tidak boleh dilupakan, karena sejarah bisa dijadikan cermin dari kehidupan masa lalu. Bila sejarah itu baik, maka dapat dilanjutkan atau ba
Kelly
Dec 08, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong start, good middle, got a little weak near the end.
Loz
Feb 25, 2017 Loz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book by chance while at Savers and I'm so glad I did. Subject matter tended to be rather morbid but it was extremely enjoyable. Also, the book itself is in great shape and is nice to look at. Pretty solid.
Mandy
Feb 22, 2017 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was alright until it came to calling Mary, Queen of Scots an ignorant airhead in favour of "soft-hearted" Elizabeth Tudor. Nope.
GoldGato
After reading this book, it becomes quickly apparent why Europe has fostered both World Wars...their historic leaders just haven't been all there, so to speak. The oven was on, but the bread wasn't cooking. If you want to get a neat summary of some of the worst European royal personalities, then this is an excellent book to make your start.

There's Don Carlos of Spain, one of the insane and deformed Hapsburg nutballs, who loved torturing animals and little girls. His own father had him killed, w
Simon
Oct 19, 2013 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice pictures, breezily written and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. The "Dark History" part really only applies to a couple of those profiled (and Elisabeth Bathory, dark though she undoubtedly was, was not royalty), but man oh man, there have been some nutburgers in control of history upon occasion. The Windsors emerge as better than average when it comes to the smarts department (which gives you an idea of how low the bar is), and the Spanish royal family carries of the prize for longest su ...more
Mikenzee Frazier
Dark History of the Kings and Queens of Europe is a book about the crazy monarchs in Europe's history. In this book you learn all about the mental and physical deformities these monarchs carried. Most, if not all, of these deformities were due to inbreeding within the family. Most of these monarchs were mentally unstable.

I would definitely recommend this book to other readers. I found the concept of the book utterly fascinating. I really enjoyed the authors writing style due to the fact that it
Jasmyn
Mar 20, 2013 Jasmyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting subject and an easy read, but not totally reliable. The author presented many stories as facts when in reality they are based on speculation and gossip. Additionally, I didn't like the random insertion of stories about related family members. They seemed haphazardly placed and were often inserted mid sentence.
Sarah Jowett
Feb 10, 2013 Sarah Jowett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well researched but it left out "Bloody Mary", I guess that one and more are in The Kings and Queens of England.

Unfortunately, this is for a European audience and some of the details that would help us across the pond are left out, mostly having to do with words and processes as well as titles and all that.

But still a great book.
Boyke Rahardian
Jul 05, 2014 Boyke Rahardian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
What do you call decades / centuries old royal scandals? Yup: history. Amazingly it is not as different as we'd like to think with high profile gossips in tabloid columns. Which remind us that people has enjoyed schadenfreude since...forever?
Brio
Jun 26, 2012 Brio rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful starting point, for anyone wanting to dive into the mess of European Monarchs. It's incredibly brief, however provides enough information to spark areas of research or historical curiosity.
Chelsea Vincent
The first two or three monarchs, yes very very "dark". The rest of them? Not so much. Scandalous and unfortunate, yes, but not "dark" in the way the book advertises and certainly not as dark as the opening two chapters.
Heather
Jul 29, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! They do not teach any of this in school. It's insane what has happened throughout history. Most people don't always understand that there has always been chaos, wars, and other tragedies, and things nowadays are not as bad as several other periods throughout history.
Mandy
Sep 16, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
Wow. These folks were nuts. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those who drank exclusively from lead cups but the rest were certifiably nuts.

Very cool read though. Makes one appreciate the age in which we live, be that as it may.
Dave Sippel
Jan 25, 2014 Dave Sippel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just to give an idea of the "depth" of information in this book, it is shorter than 300 pages and covers about 700 years of history. It loves sensationalism and scandal but it is an entertaining read. The artwork and pictures are very interesting to look at.
An interesting look into the lives of some scary royals.
Sonya
Oct 09, 2014 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I already knew most of the information presented in this book. Provides an adequate introduction into the less discussed aspects of European history.
Romario Riskitala
Dec 20, 2015 Romario Riskitala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explains much about the interconnection of European countries' histories...
Many incest stories within...
Kathleen
This is a good book to read one section at a time. I read it at breakfast after we concelled our newspaper. Interesting and fun facts.
Vikki
Interesting
Melissa
I like to learn about the nobility and in the description of book it had the word "skulduggery". I love some good skulduggery! lol
Cyanemi
Jan 24, 2017 Cyanemi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fascinating book. it was written well and I couldn't put it down.
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
I really like this book. It is visually satisfying and very informative.
William
Dec 21, 2015 William rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Very nice overview of some very dark times in European history. I love reading on the Spanish Hapsburgs, they are one crazy group. Interesting overviews and nice tidbits that I hadn't know before.
Peter Ward
This is a nice starting place for those of us who don't have any formal background in European history. Short and readable, I have a frame of reference to work with from now on.
Jennifer Daniel
Nov 12, 2008 Jennifer Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sharon & the boy
Shelves: non-fiction
What a bunch of freaks! That Carlos of Spain was especially disturbing. Loved it! And of course my man Vlad Tepis is always my favorite blood crazy Royalty.
Chase Parsley
A great book for its visuals, and some great stories, but to me the writing could have been better.
Marina
Marina rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Charlie Hayden-Bupp
Charlie Hayden-Bupp rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dark History of the Roman Emperors: From Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History
  • Mad Kings & Queens
  • Dark History of the Tudors
  • Royal Romances: Titillating Tales of Passion and Power in the Palaces of Europe
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • Namaku Mata Hari
  • The Kings and Queens of England
  • 4000 Years of Uppity Women
  • The Tudors The Kings And Queens Of England's Golden Age
  • A History Of Western Society
  • Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times
  • Massacre at the Palace: The Doomed Royal Dynasty of Nepal
  • Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings (Harvard Paperbacks)
  • Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time
  • Birth of the Chess Queen: A History
  • Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Biography
Brenda Ralph Lewis is a writer with over 200 books on history and numerous magazine articles and television documentaries to her name. Her fascination with Scottish history and culture began early in her career and she has since returned to the subject at every opportunity. She regards [her] book on tartans as a labor of love.
More about Brenda Ralph Lewis...

A Dark History Series (9 books)
  • Dark History of the Tudors
  • A Dark History: Celts
  • A Dark History: Vikings
  • Dark History of the Roman Emperors: From Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome
  • Dark History of The Bible
  • A Dark History: The Popes
  • Dark History of Hollywood: A Century of Greed, Corruption and Scandal behind the Movies (Dark Histories)
  • Dark History: Catholic Church: Schisms, Wars, Inquisitions, Witch Hunts, Scandals, Corruption