Start by marking “The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired” as Want to Read:
The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired

The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks They Inspired

In 1922, the very popular 'The Farmer's Wife' magazine held a contest asking a simple question: 'Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?' This title excerpts 55 of the top letters submitted to the magazine editors for the contest and has selected 111 traditional 6' quilt blocks and created a tribute quilt to the contest.
Published October 30th 2009 by KP Books (first published 2009)

JayeL
Jul 24, 2011 JayeL rated it liked it
Shelves: quilt, own, 2013
I like all block dictionaries. I like them because I can always find a new block and each new block starts me on a fun creative spiral. The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: 55 Letters and the 111 Blocks they Inspired is no exception and it includes letters! I love letters even reading other people's letters!

The introduction is called The Changing American Culture of the 1920s and discusses "a time of political and technological changes." It is an interesting and tantalizing way to begin a quilt boo
Joy
Sep 20, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
I learned about this book by the quilt-alongs that it has inspired online and in various quilt guilds across the country, and finally picked it up a few weeks ago. The book consists of letters from farm wives answering the question "Would you have your daughter marry a farmer?" for a contest held by The Farmer's Wife magazine in 1922. The letters are a window onto the past, with many common themes resonating throughout the overwhelming consensus that yes, most farmer's wives would indeed hope fo ...more
Jec
Mar 19, 2017 Jec rated it did not like it
although there was a nice variety of blocks, i gave this only 1 star because of the lack of directions or at least cutting measurements. that was a real disservice to quilters buying this book. i would think twice before purchase and get it from the library instead to enjoy it.
Asuka0278
Jan 09, 2013 Asuka0278 rated it really liked it
I've scored this book higher here than I did on amazon. Mainly because my original review on amazon got a response from the author. Here is the exchange in its entirety:

"Measurements for templates PLEASE?!?!, March 14, 2012
By asuka0278

I was really really excited about making this quilt. Then I realized I had to use templates. I decided to give it a go anyway because I really want to do this quilt. I hate the templates. I don't like using them at all. I don't understand what is so hard about say
Mel
Aug 26, 2011 Mel rated it liked it
The book contains letters written to The Farmer's Wife magazine in 1922 saying why or why not they would want their daughters to marry a farmer. The reasons were interesting and still relevant today. There were only a few letters that had the slang of those days that reminded me of the times in which the letters were written. A lot of the women also had experience living in both the city and the farm life and though the city women look down on them, the women pity the city women for not having t ...more
Kimberly Snyder
Oct 22, 2016 Kimberly Snyder rated it liked it
While this was fun to read, and I loved the stories famers' wives had to share in the 30's, this quilt was way outside of my range. There were no measurements or cutting templates or anything. I found a website with some cutting instructions for these blocks, but it just isn't worth it. Way too complicated. I'll be looking for another sampler to work on.

One sad thing about the stories: the top three entries from the essay contest weren't included in this book!! What a disappointment!! I want to
Tkjtwmr
Dec 13, 2013 Tkjtwmr rated it liked it
Although not a "page turner", this was an interesting book. The wives made very compelling arguments for having their daughters' marry farmers. Real embrace of technology here. I would think, that for the most part, these were well-educated and fairly prosperous farmer's wives. The articulation of the letters was amazing. It was fun to see which quilt blocks were assigned to each wife. I am going to mark a few of my favourites and hopefully use my scraps to make some up into a lap quilt.
Miz Mockingbird
Oct 12, 2016 Miz Mockingbird rated it really liked it
I'm not a quilter, so both block patterns and illustrative CD mean little to me. The letters themselves, written by country women in the throes of the 1930s Great Depression, are always interesting and often inspiring. They provide a thumping depression-check for any country girl feeling oppressed by poverty and the times.
Sara
Oct 12, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
So the quilt is nice enough; a sampler of traditional blocks. I wasn't really inspired to make it. But the letters are fantastic, and by far the best reason to read this book -- well written, and a fascinating glimpse into the lives of farm wives in the 1920s.
Angela Keller
Feb 11, 2014 Angela Keller rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book with letters from these women - any of them could have been my great grandmothers! I loved the stories and also it comes with a CD and templates for making a beautiful quilt in any size!
Joan54
Mar 05, 2013 Joan54 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about the farmers wife's who lived in the 1920's and why they wished their daughters to marry farmers like they did.
And there are plenty of 6" block patterns to choose from if you enjoy traditional sampler quilts.
Autumn Kern
Mar 16, 2012 Autumn Kern rated it it was amazing
I am currently working on this quilt- the blocks are gorgeous, and the stories that go along with the blocks are wonderful, as well.
Maureen
Jan 14, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it
Shelves: quilting
A 2013 Christmas present from Nathan and Courtney.
Heidi Schaap
Jul 14, 2011 Heidi Schaap rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Not only beautiful quilt blocks, but very interesting to read the entries from a Farm journal essay contest, circa 1920. Inspiring read, inspiring quilt!
Kaleena Menke
Dec 14, 2009 Kaleena Menke marked it as to-read
Mom is going to love this for her b-day present.
Julie
Jan 16, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
Charming. Comes with a CD with templates for all the blocks and assembly diagrams for four different quilt sizes.
Karen
Apr 07, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
My latest obsession!!! This is absolutely beautiful - 26 blocks done, 75 to go!! Love, love, love it.
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Anna Peterson
Anna Peterson rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Angela Williams
Angela Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Lillian
Lillian rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2010
Amanda Kirby
Amanda Kirby rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Lisa Leimone
Lisa Leimone rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Amy Defa
Amy Defa rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2010
Leslie Yonke
Leslie Yonke rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Andrea McDowell
Andrea McDowell rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Dolores King
Dolores King rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Block Party: The Modern Quilting Bee: The Journey of 12 Women, 1 Blog & 12 Improvisational Projects
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots
  • Scrap Therapy Cut the Scraps!: 7 Steps to Quilting Your Way through Your Stash
  • Make a Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin Pattern
  • Dare to Be Square Quilting: A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts
  • Embroidery Companion: Classic Designs for Modern Living
  • Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love
  • Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilting Effects Using Your Sewing Machine
  • Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts: The True Story Behind the Quilt - 140 Traditional Blocks
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots (Stc Craft)
  • Layer Cake, Jelly Roll & Charm Quilts
  • Quilting with a Modern Slant: People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community
  • Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!: The Complete Guide to Quiltmaking the Complete Guide to Quiltmaking