Kaitlyn and the Secrets of the Sea

Kaitlyn and the Secrets of the Sea

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An eleven year old girl who is terribly afraid of the sea one day finds out that her destiny must take her to the very bottom of the ocean. All she has to do is play the magic flute. A modern fairytale, fantasy, adventure, step into the pages of the book and see if you can solve the secrets of the sea. For 8-12 year olds.
Published September 4th 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 26th 2009)

Lisa Maddock
Eleven-year-old Kaitlyn has a lot to deal with. Her parents disappeared out at sea on their boat two years ago. She is now cared for by her dueling grandmothers, neither of which are your storybook cookie-baking variety, no, they prefer deep sea-diving and rock climbing. And they hotly disagree about how to deal with Kaitlyn and her fears. Kaitlyn has a deep down fear of the sea. She will not even put a toe into the ocean. This fear leads to regular terrifying nightmares. Though Kaitlyn's fear s...more
Beverly McClure
Ever since eleven-year-old Kaitlyn’s parents disappeared on their boat, Kaitlyn won’t go in the water. But she swims in her dreams, and it scares her. Kaitlyn’s Grandmother Jane gives her a sea flute that has a story. No, I’m not telling the flute’s story, but it has to do with a blond girl who fears the water. Imagine Katilyn’s surprise when she suddenly discovers she can breathe under water. She also has a choice to make: awaken the magical powers of the flute and become the Sea Witch’s appren...more
Treasa
This is the story of an eleven-year-old girl, Kaitlyn, who is afraid of the sea. Every night she has terrible nightmares of being dragged into the sea by a sea monster. But then her grandmother gives her an ancient flute and reveals to her that she is the descendant of the Sea Witch and may choose whether she wants to become the witch's apprentice. Kaitlyn meets Tingo, who takes her to the witch's home, and together they unearth a secret of the sea and help save the Sea Witch.

I really liked the...more
Jennifer Phillips
This fairy tale should be appealing even those readers who don't normally find themselves attracted to such stories. The writing is poetic, seductive and sparse, all at once. With this style, you'll suddenly find yourself lured into Kaitlyn's world and accepting the deep dive into fantasy without realizing where you're at. You'll want to find out the secrets of the sea that await Kaitlyn and you'll enjoy the author's subtle twists and turns that keep you reading.

While Kaityln is the main charac...more
AlexM
In this story we read about a girl named Kaitlyn who is terribly afraid of water. Then, she recieves a magic flute which sets her magical adventure in to action. I loved this book from the start and could not stop reading until I reached the very end. Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna spins a lovable, humorus, and magical story that will keep you on your toes throught the whole story. I would recommend to anyone who loves magic, complex and interesting plots, and humor in their books. Kaitlyn and the S...more
Christy
I thought this was an adorable, short children's story. I was captivated by the story line for Kaitlyn and her adventure to the bottom of the sea. After losing her parents and having a growing fear of the sea, she is given a magical flute that will help her understand her fear and what her future may hold for her. There is such vivid description of her surroundings and very intriguing fairly tale about the lives of such fairy tale creatures. I wish the story had been longer as this was an exciti...more
Darcia Helle
With Kaitlyn and the Secrets of the Sea, Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna takes us on a fantastical adventure in an underwater world. Kaitlyn’s love of music, and a flute passed down through the ages, help her battle her fear in the mysterious new world she’s been plunged into. Kaitlyn encounters witches, mermaids, magic, and much more during her journey to find her destiny.

This is a story that can be enjoyed by everyone; young and old, girl and boy. Svetlana is a talented author with a gift for story...more
Rita Webb
I loved this book, and so did my kids. They wouldn't let me put it down, and normally, I would want to go to bed. Instead, I stayed up, reading long past the page I was supposed to stop. Just like the kids, I couldn't put it down.

Kaitlyn is given a flute by her grandmother, along with a tale of ancient magic. The flute draws Kaitlyn to it, and she plays, propelling herself into the destiny that has been calling to her in her dreams.
Alicia
This story was really good. I enjoy books that have to do with magic. Kaitlyn is afraid of the sea and I can't really blame her for what had happened to her parents. But with magic there is a way to overcome anything.
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Sep 19, 2009 Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

The paperback of Kaitlyn and the Secrets of the Sea will be coming out on Amazon.com after September 20th.
You can read first two chapters of the book on this link

For ages 7-12. Fantasy, modern fairytale, magic and adventure with strong, though seriously afraid of the sea, gir...more
Harini Srinivasan
Harini Srinivasan marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
William M
William M marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2009
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2009
Dori
Dori added it
Oct 14, 2009
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2009
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2009
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2009
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2009
Jessica Goss
Jessica Goss marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2009
Gaijinmama
Gaijinmama marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2009
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2009
Kaitlyn and the Secrets of the Sea 1 2 Sep 04, 2009 01:12PM
Svetlana Kovalkova–McKenna has studied Journalism and Broadcasting at Moscow State University in Russia and has a Liberal Arts Degree from Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee. She is a writer, an artist and a member of Nashville Artist Guild, mother of three, and a believer in fairytales.
Go green and read Svetlana's books in e-format for just $1.00 each on smashbooks.com, Amazon Kindle form...more
More about Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna...
Vasilisa and the Queen of Asps The Fairy Book Oberon A Wise Woman and a King Isabel and the School for Sorceresses