Start by marking “Duck at the Door” as Want to Read:
Duck at the Door

Duck at the Door

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  859 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
One winter night, a cozy house full of animals is awakened by a knock at the front door. They have no idea what they'll find on the other side, and Max the duck is the last thing they expect. Soon this larger-than-life houseguest is making himself at home--and forcing his way into the hearts of his reluctant hosts.
Published January 23rd 2007 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Duck at the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck at the Door

Caitlin
Jan 11, 2015 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max is a duck who was born in the middle of Spring. He thought he would like Winter just as much, so he did not fly south with his flock when Winter began. In the midst of a snowstorm in December, Max strays onto the porch of pet owner, Irene. In desperation, Max knocks on the door.

Irene opens the door and is very surprised to see a duck on her doorstep in December. She lets Max stay with her, and her pets, for the Winter months. Max is introduced to modern lifestyles like cooking and televisio
Kathryn
Humorous tale of a duck who wants to experience winter and stays behind when his flock flies south. But, um, he realizes that winter is COLD!!! And snowy!!! What's he to do! He knocks at the door of a cozy looking house and finds it is already quite full of animals and their very kind human who offers to take him in and he certainly shakes things up a bit. Will they be eager to have him leave come spring... or will they perhaps miss him just a little?
Thu Nguyen
As reading this children book, it actually reminds me of the relationship among people. When we have someone around, we dont value them, and when they're gone, we feel missing something. Max in this book is the same. He does things differently, and it may feel a little annoying. But when he left, everybody in the house misses him. "it's better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not."
Kim T.
Mar 10, 2014 Kim T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Duck at the Door was a delightful book. It told the story of Max, a lone duck who stayed behind when his friends flew south for the winter. Filled with colorful illustrations and character lines, this story charmed both me and my children.

What I loved:

Facing a cold season with no warmth was not for Max, so he went to Irene's house and decided to knock. The knock led to many new experiences and introduced him to a number of new friends.

Max returned to his first home, but he did not forget his n
Zequoia Hyche
Jul 14, 2014 Zequoia Hyche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
Such a nice story, that includes very detailed illustrations and a little bit of humor that can keep any reader's attention and an awesome message. I loved how the book can teach us about acceptance, ducks, and what if feels like to make new friends and then potentially leave them. Many children make new friends due to different circumstances. These circumstances might put them in an uncomfortable position; however they gradually will or could make friends and become used to it. Suddenly, time h ...more
Paula Heller
This is a book for children of all ages, because it teaches them the importance of family and friends. The book shows you that family and friends can at times get on your nerves, but no matter what you will always love them and be happy to see them again especially when you haven't seen them in awhile. Family is always welcomed at the door; the loud duck at the door symbolizes a family member for children. This book also teaches children how to share and respect others in the same household or ...more
Laurie
Feb 04, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N_katiebernard
Oct 21, 2010 N_katiebernard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
In this story, Eve Bunting writes of a duck that chooses not to fly south with his flock for the winter. He moves into a home and learns to live as if he was human: watching TV, cooking meals. Although the owner of the house and the pets like Duck at first, they start to get irritated when he gets a little too comfortable. Right when they can't take it anymore, Duck's flock comes back for the warm weather and Ducks returns to live with his flock. The pets and woman are left alone in the house un ...more
Teacher.
Mar 29, 2012 Teacher. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I love picture books, the cost of stocking your child’s library with hardback books is prohibitive. They make good gifts and are perfect gets from the library for children of all ages. Sometimes you can even find hardback books as special promotions at department stores during holidays. That’s how the Duck at the Door came to our house. Paying five dollars for a book like this is such a treat. I hadn’t read any of the Duck books by Jackie Urbanovic, but I was pleasantly surprised by a cute ...more
Susan
This is a story of a Duck that doesn't want to migrate south so he finds a home with a family over the winter. He becomes very comfortable with the family, a little too comfortable. But then its time to go with his flock. The illustrations are nicely done showing the feelings of all the other pets in the home. I would use this book in my class to teach about being considerate of others and about being accepting of others as well.
Gordon Pennington
Irene has many pets in her house. On a cold winter night, the pets hear a knocking at the door. There is a duck at the door. Irene lets him inside. He tells them his name is Max. He stayed behind when his flock flew south because he thought he would love winter. He was wrong-it was too cold and too lonely. Irene decided to let him stay through winter. He had a lot of learning to do. He did not know how to live in a house. The other animals teach him the basics after he has messed up quite a bit. ...more
Chantana
This book didn't grab my interest much. The reader was an enthusiastic reader, so I was drawn to his style of reading rather than the content of the book. The book didn't have many attention grabbers for young children in my opinion. The thumping and noise of the duck is good if the reader adds that extra voice to make it sound interesting.
Aimee
Knock! Knock, who is at the door so late at night. A family of animals decides to take in this duck for the winter but have no idea how their lives will change by this decision.

The illustrator uses dark to not only show nighttime but to show mystery and suspense. It is dark in the house when the knock comes at the door and again to show sadness when the duck goes back to his flock. The illustrator outlines all of the drawings in black and then uses deep colors to color them in. This makes the an
Eva Leger
Mar 07, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Duck at the Door is super, super cute. I doubt anyone could find many kids who wouldn't like this story. The illustrations match the story perfectly, as do the characters, human and non-human. The duck is beyond cool. Not to mention Irene. She's beyond cool also.
I don't know if all kids daydream about having a home like Irene's but I'm positive my daughter does. I know this because she's asked, begged, pleaded, conned, and just about anything else you can think of you try to get her way. She se
Nikki
Oct 05, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I let my daughter rate this story since she read it out loud during our story time. I asked what she liked about the story and she said she liked that Max was given a home for the winter by Irene and when Max left to find his flock, he decided to bring them back to Irene's house.
Molly Schoonover
Feb 25, 2015 Molly Schoonover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful for all young readers. It has a cute and quirky sense of humor and has a great theme- we will always miss something when it is gone (even if it begins to annoy us). I love how the owner of the animals is so welcomng and loving- a great example set for readers.
Kelley Bennett
This book would be a very good read aloud book for younger students. It would also be a great book for me to read aloud to a class. It is a beginning reader's book. I really liked the story and the lesson of how much someone can annoy you but once they are gone, you really miss them.
Jennifer Velez
This book is about a duck named Max. Max knocked at a door and they opened the door and they welcomed him in. He had stayed behind from his flock, because he thought he would love winter. He stayed at that home for the winter and started to get comfortable. Soon enough he was getting too comfortable that the rest of the animals didn't want him there anymore. His flock came back and he left with them this time. They all started to miss Max, when all of a sudden it was October and they heard a kno ...more
Elizabeth Brown
Someone is knocking at the door. You better answer it because it could be your new best friend. This book could be used to teach kids that there is value in every person, you just have to give them a chance. This book also includes prosocial content.
Ruhama
Jun 16, 2011 Ruhama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One winter night, a mysterious knock wakes all the animals of the house up. Panicking, they rush to ask Irene (the owner, apparently) to find out what it is. Sleepily, she finds it's a duck and brings him in to warm up. Max tells his story of how he hates winter, but also doesn't like traveling. Max turns out to be a bit domineering, so everyone is glad when his flock returns from down south. Unfortunately, they learn they actually enjoyed Max's cooking and remote control hogging, and are thrill ...more
Kim Nelson
Mar 26, 2016 Kim Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is Duck a guest who has stayed past his welcome or a new member of the family? This book has vivid illustrations. The words are simple. I chuckled often. Migration and family life are simple themes. A great read aloud book.
Yohan Choi
* This is a great book to read for young children who are interested in animals, especially, ducks!

* This book is an actual guidance manual for young readers to be learn how to welcoming their future guests!
Karol
Nov 30, 2015 Karol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a delightful book. The illustrations are fabulous. The story presents an unexpected house guest that over stays his welcome. Animal lovers will enjoy the story and the illustrations.
Jackie
Knock, knock...thunk...creak...who is at the door? It's so cold outside and all the inside animals are wondering who would brave such a cold night....Let's go ask, Irene!

It's Max, the duck. You see, he stayed behind as his flock flew south. He thought he'd like winter just as well as summer, but he didn't realize it would be cold and lonely. Max stays and contributes (?) to the family dynamics...cooking, remote hogging, taking baths with Irene, and generally making a nuisance of himself. When it
Hector Gutierrez
I loved reading about Max the duck! This book has really nice illustrations and has a very nice story to go with it. I would use this book to talk about animal migrations and to teach the seasons to my students.
Holly N.
I must admit I had a hard time getting into Duck at the Door by Jackie Urbanovic. The book contains the science concept of migration patterns for ducks and the months. This book can be used to teach the concept of friendship and appreciating what you have.
Tawnie
Feb 23, 2009 Tawnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Wanting to experience winter, Duck decides to stay behind while the rest of the flock flies south. Surprised to find that it is so cold, Duck knocks on Irene’s door and finds a home for the winter with all of her other animals. The story follows Duck as he, and his fellow housemates, learn to adjust for the winter with a duck in the house. Full page cartoon styled illustrations with their bright basic colors pop right out of this charming the book. Duck and the rest of the animals in Irene’s hou ...more
Glenajo
Mar 22, 2013 Glenajo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first graders love me to read this aloud, because they can relate with the problems that Duck causes to the family he decides to winter with when his flock flies south. I always point out how Duck sleeps on Brody, and have them imagine how uncomfortable they would be if someone slept on them. Then we talk about why the others are missing Duck when he goes. They love the pictures, and really get into the story. The little bit of suspense at the end when Duck leaves always pulls them in and get ...more
Keren
Jun 05, 2014 Keren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book is about friendship and appreciating the people in our live. Everyone in the house drew tired of Duck and fustrated. When duck had to leave he was well missed. This book shows that we should cherish our friends dispite their quirkyness, because if they leave they will be missed.
Christina
A good book to discuss pets, visitors, and how everyone isn't going to make us happy all the time. Good story time book.
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Bats at the Ballgame
  • Doggone Dogs
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Little Quack's New Friend
  • Grace for President
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • The Dog Who Cried Wolf