Start by marking “Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Circle Of Five (A Cass Shipton Mystery #1)

Circle Of Five (Cass Shipton #1)

Now that her children are grown, her lout of an ex-husband is gone, and her herbal remedy business has taken off, Cass Shipton is free to enjoy the simple comforts of her grown-up life. There's her cozy Cape Cod home overlooking Plymouth Harbor. Her scruffy disdainful pooch. And the strong connection she shares with four other ordinary women who get together to sip tea, tr ...more

To ask other readers questions about Circle Of Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circle Of Five

Karen
Feb 06, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an entertaining book, and was fairly suspenseful. I think I would read more in the series. It's not for those who are offended by the Wicca belief system, but I found it interesting.

Just for laughs; there is a character named Q and a character named Tip. I didn't put Q-Tip together until a particularly high action section where the two were involved with each other - then I started laughing. I doubt it was intentional.

As I almost always do, I found a typo in the book. :-)
Gina
Apr 22, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard what Liane was saying about this book, and I had emailed her to inquire what it was about. LOL, this book is absolute adorable, I loved it. There's a little action, but it's not the whole story, which is different for me, and welcomed, I might add. It had a little plot of it's own, and although not at-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting, the story has its own charm. The lives of five, totally different ladies, gathered together, becoming the best of friends (to vent to, or get in trouble ...more
Sharon
Aug 31, 2007 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wiccans
Good, clean, witchy fun... imagine a nice friendly coven of witches in your sleepy Cape Cod (of course) town- they bake, garden, have a book club going, perform rituals and solve murders! Being a Wiccan myself, I am happy to finally find a book that just tells it more or less like it is; no flying lawnmowers, no devil worship (none in the Craft- that's a Christian invention), no nonsense. They stretch a bit with some of the clairvoyance bits, but I'm not willing to rule some of that stuff out ei ...more
JoAnn
Jan 15, 2011 JoAnn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an expanded, older version of Charmed! The Wiccan aspect was very interesting. I loved the seaside New England setting. I liked the underlining friendship, romance and mystery themes. It moved very fast and kept my attention all throughout. I am looking forward to reading the others in the series.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
The circle of five strong women make this book and this series one of my favorites. There is mystery, magic, and murder. All good elements for an entertaining read.
Krista
Jan 14, 2012 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really liked this story. It was enjoyable to read about believable women practicing Wicca. I have purchased the next three stories to continue to explore Cass et al's world.
Deb Nowack
Suspenseful but characters need development.
Ellen
In Plymouth, MA, five women friends have found that they have a lot in common, especially their practice of Wicca and celebration of pagan holidays. Cassandra, Fiona, Heather, Phillipa and Diedre all have their specialties, including tarot reading, herbs and lotions, and the five women have formed a close knit group of support. Cass often has visions and one afternoon at the grocery store she bumps into a stranger and immediately senses that he is a dangerous man who preys on young boys. The wom ...more
Jan 20, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mawgojzeta
I really wanted to like this book. Unfortunately that was not the case.

I felt like Riccio was trying too, too, too hard to be "witchy" - just don't know how else to word it. It was like every page screamed out, "Look, look! Look what kind of magic(k), witchy, pagan thing I am doing now!" I don't want that regardless of what religion the characters are.

On the other hand, I was sick when I read the book, and pretty grumpy. I may try to re-read this in the future to see if I feel differently.
Judi Wells
Feb 22, 2010 Judi Wells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dolores’s characters are so 'real' and familiar I felt like I was a part of their adventure, sitting in the background and watching it all unfold.
Once in a while you are fortunate enough to happen across and Author that when you read their book you are able to see and feel what the author is describing.
When I read this book I could not put it down, it was as if I saw it all in my mind, Cassandra’s kitchen, the woods, all the ladies of the circle, as if I were right there.
I looked forward to an
Laura Lucy
I enjoyed this book, but it was a bit schizophrenic. You've got a group of mostly middle aged women practicing Wicca. The story centered around them is kind of fun, sometimes lighthearted and a little goofy. But they're also trying to nab a serial child killer. I enjoy both genres, but I wouldn't say this book does the best job of mashing up the two. I would give this author another shot, but I thought this story was kind of disjointed.
Kelly
Sep 04, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun witchy read. The coven of witches were all normal, everyday women with normal problems and issues. There is a element to the book re the subject matter of the evil as to child murderers/pedophiles that might be disconcerting to someone, but no real details emerge regarding these events. Of course, this is the first book in a series, so I suspect that future volumes have these witchy women solving all kinds of crimes, along with helping each other with their personal lives.
Anita
Apr 09, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on the suggestion of a friend and co-worker. I really enjoyed the book - it was easy to "get in to" and very hard to put down. I guess I'm hooked - because now I'm looking for the next in the series. Cass Shipton is a character that I related to easily.

The story had a little bit of everything and even kept me on the edge of my seat at one point.
Stephanie
I'm not sure I liked the writing style in this book. There were times when I found it hard to follow. But the story held my interest and I didn't want to put it down, so that is definitely a plus. Overall a fun light read. Great for a summer read.
Ilia
I loved the book! The author has taken quite a different spin on a "magical" fiction. You will love the characters, especially Scruffy, the dog. If you like a mystery with a little magic thrown in, this is the book for you.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Aug 15, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
Recommended by mom; I really liked the characters, but the middle dragged with too much unnecessary detail. The ending wrapped up the story nicely and I imagine the other books in the series will explore the remaining female characters.
Kari
Feb 25, 2013 Kari rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i do not like mysteries with hints of such bloody violence. Nor do I care for books that portray witches as those who cause harm to others. The Witches Rede (the word we live by!) is:
"An ye harm none, do as ye will".
Anita
liked this story. thot the characters were interesting. and their reasons for earth based spirit, and interests were good. good mystery too.
Jasmine
Aug 25, 2011 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good debut book for this author!! Nice easy read, good plot! A little unbelievable at one time or another, but not enough to dislike it!!!
Marge
This wasn't a bad book, nor was it that thrilling. It was a decent mystery/thriller. Not sure that I would care to read the sequel.
Jan
Apr 25, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, own-copy
I liked the five quirky characters, Cass in particular. The story line held my interest but lacked the "oomph" that would give it 5*s.
Sharon
May 18, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit of fluff and not terribly believable, but had its moments of fun and tension. I did not find the conclusion very satisfying, seemed a weak cop-out.
Jul 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed both the plot and the characters in this book. The Wiccan aspects were well portrayed and inspiring.
Peggy Donnelly
This book tried too hard. It felt like the author went back and added adjective just to beef it up. The story was mildly engaging but I never felt connected with the characters.
Kaye
Kaye rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2009
Jaz
Jaz rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Susan Beebe
Susan Beebe rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2012
Tami
Tami rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
  • Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • Harm None (A Rowan Gant Investigation #1)
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Blood Retribution (Lee Nez, #2)
  • Bad Samaritan (Sister Agatha, #6)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • The Telltale Turtle (Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Gentleman Takes a Chance (Shifters, #2)
  • Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
  • A Charmed Death (A Bewitching Mystery, #2)
AKA Dolores Riccio
AKA Dolores Stewart

Dolores Stewart Riccio was born in Boston and grew up in Pembroke, a small New England town on the South Shore of Massachusetts. She currently lives in Duxbury which is located near the town of Plymouth, the setting for her Circle novels.

Riccio writes "As a poet, I’d always signed my maiden name, Dolores Stewart. For cookbooks, I preferred my married name, Dolo
More about Dolores Stewart Riccio...

Cass Shipton (10 books)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #2)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Making Mischief (A Cass Shipton Mystery #3)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Courting Trouble (Cass Shipton, #4)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Playing with Fire (A Cass Shipton Mystery #5)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Rocking the Boat (A Cass Shipton Mystery #6)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Tipping the Scales (A Cass Shipton Mystery #7)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Painting the Town (A Cass Shipton Mystery #8)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Digging the Dirt (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #9)
  • The Divine Circle of Ladies Burning Their Bridges (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #10)