Start by marking “No More Dreaded Mondays: Ignite Your Passion - and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  597 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Is Your Job Making You “Stupid”?

Adam Smith, author of The Wealth of Nations, once wrote that a person who spends his life performing the same repetitive tasks “generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become.” Wow! Now that’s not a pretty picture. Unfortunately, much of our work today consists of those boring, repetitive tasks.

But
Published December 29th 2009 by Crown Business (first published November 1st 1932)

To ask other readers questions about No More Dreaded Mondays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No More Dreaded Mondays

David
Apr 22, 2008 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Dave Ramsey Radio Show
What I learned from this book:

1. That in the next 5 years 50% of the U.S. workforce will be employees and the other 50% will be contract workers, temp, outsourced, etc.

2. It will be up to the individual to furnish their own - health insurance, 401k, dental insurance, etc.

3. Generation X (1965-1981) people most likely seen their parents work for one company for 25 years and then lose their job (i.e. through buyout of the company, downsize, etc.).

My thought:
This book is very well done. In some way
Kayla
I have often heard Dave Ramsey tout Dan Miller (the author) as having written some great books. Well, here was one of his “great books,” expanded edition. (While this book has Scriptural references, I’m not sure if the original, un-expanded version does or not.) I began reading it hesitantly… not sure what to expect. Not sure if I would like the book. And not sure if I would ever finish reading it.

Fortunately, the first chapter broke some of those mental barriers I had. He doesn’t promote a coll
Lisa
This book is supposed to be about helping you start your own business doing something you love. It gets off to a slow start because the first half is all inspirational (You can do it! Don't be afraid to quit your job and follow your dreams!) rather than practical.

Starting with chapter 7, he has some good, practical things to say. He discusses how business builds on other business, how different kinds of businesses grow in different ways, and how to tell which business types (freelance, franchis
Tiffany Young
May 27, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Job seekers
Shelves: business
If you're questioning your line of work, Dan Miller does a great job at giving you options for your future.
In this book, he gives ideas for starting your own business or becoming a freelancer or contractor, but he doesn't ever tell you exactly what you should do. He makes it clear that everyone's answer to "what should I do for a living?" will be a little different depending on their wants, desires, skills and passions.
There are plenty of ideas throughout the book for passion seekers to explor
Desiree
I will forgive him for being a little extra in-your-face Christian and at one point QUOTING BILLY GRAHAM (on the subject of money of all things!) because this was otherwise an excellent little tome that really got me thinking, even more than I was already and with some excellent new ideas, about how to create the life that I want.

Hoan
Jun 24, 2008 Hoan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Helene Kwong
This book is truly inspiring for anyone who wants to take the unconventional route in life. It's really motivated me to start a business where I enjoy what I do. I think it's definitely helped me pursue my true calling and helps with the process of self discovery as well as doubts along the way and quotes to inspire. What helped the most - was the authors examples of real life success stories and how people may criticize your passions.

Great read.
Jolanta
This is just the kick in the pants that some people need if they've ever been thinking about starting something on their own. Dan writes in easy to understand terms and states it how it is, which is really eye-opening and easy to follow. I feel energized and ready to take on THE WORLD!!!
Darrin Holst
Excellent motivational book. I thought it was way better than his previous book even if it did have a lot of duplicate content. If this book doesn't get you excited to quit your corporate job then go back to bed.
Nick
Oct 03, 2011 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nick by: Dave Ramsey
Good book. Really made me look at my job and how I connect my job with my calling. Also, good information for me professionally since I am in the same business as Dan Miller, just a different clientele
Michael
Another great book from Dan Miller. This one is more geared to those with an entrepreneurial bent and would be interested in creating a business around the work they love.
Teeni
One of my best reads this year. Inspirational, outside-the-box and nearly every page had a flash of brilliance for me. I highly recommend it.
Brenten Gilbert
It took me two hours to get to work the other day. I only live 23.8 miles from the office but still, there I was, between the hours of seven and nine AM, stuck in the daily northern Virginia rush hour. Fortunately, this is not my normal routine. About a year ago, my work environment changed such that I can work from home most days and only go into the office for meetings, appointments, and the occasional “stir crazy” day, when I’m so out of my mind that it seems like it might be a good idea to d ...more
Jasonlylescampbell
a friend suggested it ... in keeping with my theory "while looking for work, read business books to stay fresh."

I could almost give this book three stars even though I was annoyed with it much of the time ... it has a ton of the positive thinking feel and doesn't seem to be realistic at all with the possibility of failure and anything like the danger and messyness of striking out on your own. (That is what the book is all about, by the way ... a short, pop version of the changes in the work worl
Olinselot
The theme behind this book seems founded on good ground, but the reality of it's suggestions only apply to a select few. After reading the first several chapters I certianly had a desire to leave my job and pursue my "true calling". So, to this extend it did the job. The only problem is that it doesn't account for the fact that most of us are surrounded by our spouse and children. To cut yourself off from your current job just because it isn't your "calling" neglects the concept of a struggling ...more
Bill Corbett
I loved Dan's book. I bought the book to refer to on my desk, and downloaded the audio version to listen to on a few long drives. It was so inspirational for him to rattle off all of the possibilities we've all been given to find our purpose, give back to this awesome world, and make a lucrative living. After reading this book, no one should have trouble finding the work to live a great life. He offers tons of examples of how others have done it, with simple ideas. He says that when we look clos ...more
Matt Soderstrum
I enjoyed this book very much - even more than Miller's previous work - "48 Days to the Work you Love". This book is filled with lots of practical ideas in how to align your work/job with your passions and calling. This is a book I will consult (and recommend) many times as I seek to better align my work with my passions and calling.
MelAnn
A friend of mine put this book in my hand and told me to read it. I wasn't interested. You see, I am not a dreading Mondays kind of gal. :) I'm on the other side of this. I learned some time back that working for someone else was not for me. This book was specifically marketed (see description in Amazon) to people stuck in jobs wanting something better. Well, they should have gave it a different title and marketed it to the masses of people who just feel stuck in their lives and strive for somet ...more
Timothy Reeder
I was a little disappointed in this book. It had come very highly recommended but really left me wanting. It was full of great motivation and inspiration, but very little in the way of practical tips. I would likely have given it 3 stars if it hadn't been so highly recommended.
John Ausmus
I recently received a free review copy of the book “No More Dreaded Mondays” by Dan Miller from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group.

This book questions the very basis for many people’s perspective on work, job and our higher calling. It asks the question “When did we start thinking that our work is only a means to getting a paycheck?”, and “Why do so many people just endure their job so they can get to the weekend when they get to do what they love?” Dan Miller helps the reader identify why yo
Glenn
Finished this on a Sunday morning. Just in time. Absolutely refreshing contribution to the genre. Anecdote heavy, but not heavy-handed with the message. That message is aimed more at challenging your state of mind than offering specific "ways." Comes at it from every angle with veracity.
Valerie J K
Apr 05, 2011 Valerie J K rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie J K by: Nick Kunde
Dan Milller has a very inspiring message--if you hate your job and it's keeping you from loving your life, he inspires you to change it up and start doing what you were meant to do. His stories are motivating and interesting, and one thing I appreciate is that he bases his advice on belief in God and following your "calling" in life. This was motivating for me as my husand and I are currently launching our "No Monday" business together, doing something we love. I would recommend this book to any ...more
Tamra
Interesting discussion. Baby boomers born 1946-1964 have been groomed for the go to work-get paid model but those born into generation X (1965-1981) have seen their parents lose jobs after decades of faithful service through no fault of their own, so they see work life differently.

I liked the author's dedication (to his dad)"who taught [him] that work was not something to be avoided, but rather something to be done with wholehearted effort, character, and integrity. Your model of believing that
Eric Soelberg
Ok, but it was very heavy on the motivational stories and the like. More than a book with something you walk away with knowing how to do or steps to take, this is a book that will motivate you to want to quit your job or to be self-employed. However, rather than focusing on building healthy, thriving companies he mostly talks about knick-knack things like mowing lawns, network marketing (sorry to any of you network marketers out there), etc. All in all, I'm not sad I read it but it wasn't anythi ...more
Sonda
This books looks at our perspective on our work, our job, and what we believe is our higher calling. Question - When did we start thinking that our work is only a means to and end? it pays the bills, and Why do we endure our job during the week and wish it away for the weekend when just to do what we really love doing? The author helps the reader identify why we feel the way we do towards our job, and then provides suggestions to cobine our passions with a means of getting a "just a paycheck."

I
Clay Mabbitt
Pretty good stuff here. Miller's flagship book, 48 Days to the Work You Love is written for someone who is in the middle of a job transition. This book was more useful to me because it takes a much more general approach. How can you figure out what inspires you? Can you bring that into your current job or do you actually need to seek it somewhere else? If you're not in a job crisis, I think this is a much more useful read.
Trent
Is it midlife crisis time? Maybe so if I'm reading a book about discovering my true calling at work.
Actually it's a pretty good book that just gives you some time to reflect on your approach to work. The part I didn't like is that is seemed the first 4 chapters just kept saying that this book would be great and really help - I found myself saying "ok, let's get on with it then."
Eric Beaty
One of the best motivational tools you'll ever buy! Packed full of great advice and inspirational stories, quotes, and ideas to help you transition from your J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) into the world of entrepreneurship. A definite must read if you're stuck in the daily grind of going to work for someplace you can't stand and know there's something else out there for you.
David
Fabulous book. I was concerned it was going to be 48 Days 2.0 (just in a different cover); however, it was not. Very motivating and encouraging. It helps the reader to see beyond the veil of traditional work.

I admire Miller's ability to communicate the art of creative thinking. His weekly podcast is a great tool to listen to while going through the book.
Waziri Garuba
Please read this book. It makes you understand your purpose again. Made me realize I love my job - but that I just needed to do something else with my extra energy. really makes you self reflect..

This book makes you really think on what your purpose is between Monday Morning and Friday night - and how you are spending your life.
J.

One of the more inspirational "go do what you were meant to do" books. Would be 4 but it is a bit on the dry side.

I learned about Dan Miller because of his occasional appearances on the Dave Ramsey Show. I will probably give the book a second listen at some point because it did peak my interest.

• The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Stop Acting Rich... and Start Living Like a Real Millionaire
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job
  • Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Descending Into Greatness
48 Days to the Work You Love Wisdom Meets Passion: When Generations Collide and Collaborate 48 Days to the Work You Love: An Interactive Study with CD (Audio) Xing Yi Nei Gong: Xing Yi Health Maintenance and Internal Strength Development No More Mondays