Start by marking “The Brothers Lionheart” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Lionheart

The Brothers Lionheart

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,751 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews
There's no one Karl Lion loves more than his older brother, Jonathan, who is brave, strong, and handsome - everything Karl believes he is not. Karl never wants to be parted from him, but Karl is sick, and knows he's going to die. To comfort him, Jonathan tells him stories of Nangiyala, the place he'll be going to when he dies.
Published June 1st 2009 (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Lionheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Lionheart

Alex
Jun 15, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In high school I loaned this to a girlfriend and then she dumped me and then I called her house like every day all "GIVE ME MY BOOK BACK" until she finally left it outside my door so she wouldn't have to talk to me.

I was a pretty big fan of this book.
Angelina
If you don't like this book you just don't understand anything....
Simply one of the best kids books ever written. It treats very serious questions in a truly admirable way and gives hope at the same time. Pure, honest, brave and magical...
Sharon L
remember that book you read in your childhood?

it was in hardcover, it was a bit dusty and used, and you had that feeling that you would like this book. and so you read it- and it had adventures and it was interesting and you couldn't stop reading that book (you read other books before, but that was the first book you were glued to).

remember that book in your childhood that, in a way, is the main reason for your deep love to books? that book that holds magic to you? that is cherished by you? th
Helle
This is the most important, most magical and most precious book from my childhood. It is the book that made me believe in something greater than myself when I was about ten years old. It is, to me, one of the most wonderful stories for children and young teenagers.

By the time I was 18, I had read it three or four times, later I read it to my oldest daughter and now to my youngest. And I still struggled to hold back the tears.

It is about the love between two brothers, about life after death, abo
Malene
Aug 03, 2015 Malene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
"... Alligevel kunne jeg ikke lade være med at tænke på, hvor skønt det ville være, hvis vi ikke hele tiden skulle være så stærke og modige."

Jeg købte denne bog kort efter jeg sidste sommer var i Junibacken og blev mindet om dette skønne eventyr af Astrid Lindgren, da vi tog med Eventyrtoget rundt, for at se Lindgrens forskellige historier.

Da jeg var yngre holdt jeg faktisk ikke forfærdeligt meget af historien. Jeg fandt den alt for uhyggelig og jeg brød mig virkelig ikke om, at den handlede s
Dany Burns
Jul 08, 2016 Dany Burns rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
"You can be envious and still be a good man at the same time."
Re-reading this wonderful book was really great. This is one of the first books I remember reading that really transported me to another world. When my teacher read this book to my class, everyone was completely absorbed in the story. We stopped class for a whole day to finish this book. I felt that same felling reading it even now. This book has a wonderful tale to tell that it conveys through dark themes, unlike other children's
AnnaLund
Jan 31, 2012 AnnaLund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a beating heart
Recommended to AnnaLund by: My mother
The book that made me who I am today.
The one that taught me to stand up for my friends.
The book that showed me that Somethings you just HAVE to do, or else you are not a real human being, just a little speck of dirt.
Of course, I read it in the original Swedish, but anyone who has half a mind of reading something truly healing should give this a go in English. It is well translated, and she IS, after all, the mother of Pippi Longstockings. I rest my case.
Jonatan, jag ser ljuset.
Kirstine
Oh man, I am an absolute sucker for sibling relationships (have I mentioned this before? Maybe I have), if not, know now that I am.

So you might guess why this is (along with 'Mio, My Mio') my favourite Astrid Lindgren book. The relationship between Tvebak and Jonathan (the Danish names) is so unbelievably precious, and leaves me in tears, even now, despite it being a childrens book.
Having a brother myself, I understand the devotion you can have for a sibling; I'd do anything for him. I'd face
Noah
May 24, 2016 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Beautiful, heartbreaking, uplifting and timeless.

Astrid Lindgren Forever! :)

*****
“Why did you save Park's life, was that so good?'

'I don't know if it was such a good thing to do,' said Jonathan. 'But there are things you have to do, otherwise you're not a human being, just a piece of dirt. I've said this to you before.'

'But what if he'd realized who you were?' I said. 'And they had caught you!'

'Well, then they would've caught Lionheart and not a piece of dirt,' said Jonathan.”
― Astrid Lindgren
Reetta Saine
Klassikko, jonka uskalsin viimein lukea uudelleen yli kolmenkymmenen vuoden jälkeen. Kannatti.
Ibrahim Al-Khulaifi
Aug 31, 2015 Ibrahim Al-Khulaifi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Mitticus
2,5

Eeeh, no me esperaba ese final Oo'

Al parecer este es el libro amado de infancia de varias personas, y tal vez sea esa clase de libros que no sirve para leerse con una mirada adulta. Entiendo además que está todo ese asunto cultural que puede que me pase por sobre la cabeza y que confieso entender bien poco aparte de haber visto unas pocas peliculas ambientadas alli (y ya sabemos que bien sale todo en las películas, con honrosas excepciones).

Bueno, la cosa es que un libro acerca de dos herman
Harun Harahap
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
A strange if charming little book. It begins with the tragic deaths of two young brothers who are then reunited in the land of Ningiyama, where the world is still as it was in the age of sagas with many adventures to be had. However, the boys discover that not all adventures are worth having as they find themselves facing increasingly evil foes and long odds. The end of the story took me by surprise and I'm not sure what to make of it. Despite what a one-star review on this site claims, the endi ...more
Nanna
Aug 16, 2016 Nanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolut fantastisk bog. Darwin på 7 og Saga på 5 blev virkelig grebet af brødrenes fortælling - og jeg selv ikke mindst.

Historien er barsk. Den handler rigtig meget om død. Mavesure anmeldere og de korrekte pege-fingre-forældre ville have haft en forargelsesfest af en anden verden hvis den var udkommet i dag. Ikke mindst fordi der er en dobbeltside med en 70'er-illustration af en (gisp!) nøgen 13-årig dreng omtrent midtvejs.

De første kapitler fik både min ene søster, min svigerinde og jeg selv
Marc-Antoine
Apr 16, 2016 Marc-Antoine rated it it was amazing
There is only one way that I can describe this book, and that is to say that it was magical.
Leni Iversen
Reading childhood favourites again as an adult is risky business, and with Astrid Lindgren it can be devastating. Not because her books disappoint; they don't. She has the gift of writing books that are read one way by children and another by adults. For a child, The Brothers Lionheart is an empowering adventure about brotherly love, courage, and doing the right thing even if you are scared. Children take the story at face value. It's the story of a sick child who gets to go on adventures and be ...more
Karina Petersen
Det at vende tilbage til et barndomseventyr, som er blevet fortrængt gennem årene, er en helt fantastisk og unik læseoplevelse - især Astrid Lindgrens eventyr. "Brødrene Løvehjerte" ramte mit hjerte og mine tårer trillede ofte ned ad kinderne under min læsning af det fine eventyr. Jeg sidder nu lidt tom tilbage, og ville ønske at jeg kunne tage med Brødrene Løvehjerte ud på nye eventyr i Nangilima!
Rana Heshmati
Jan 18, 2014 Rana Heshmati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Masoomeh Tavakoli
Shelves: گریه, رمان
آه...
یوناتان...
نون قندیِ عزیز دلم... :) :( :*
عالی بود و بس.
با تمام وجودم دوستش داشتم و درکش کردم ...
Tandava Brahmachari
For years I've had a strong but vaguely-detailed memory of a book I read as a child. I couldn't remember the title, the author, the plot, or even how old I was when I read it. I knew that a boy followed his brother to a land after death, and I had a blurry image of what was possibly the cover, and I knew that younger-me had been deeply moved by it in some way. Every few years I'd try to find it, but without any luck.

A few weeks ago, I found it. I must have have finally hit on the right search t
Matthew
Apr 09, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
while this is technically a children's book by a children's author, the subjects are heavier than most adult novels: death, disease, loss, the afterlife, the right to react to violence with violence, family, and loyalty. everyone i spoke to about this book said the same thing: that the book illicited tears, whether out of sadness or joy or some combination of both. it is one of the most universally loved books in the author's home country of sweden: the extended version of the movie from 1977 is ...more
پگاه
Aug 12, 2015 پگاه rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: دارم
وای که چهقدر کارل رو میفهمیدم... خیلی زیاد...
این که همیشه میخواست که هرجور شده پیش برادرش باشه. وقتی که میگفت ماجراهای نانگیالا چطور میتونن خوب باشن وقتی یوناتان پیشش نیست. وقتی که به برادرش گفت: «یوناتان بیچارهام! تو هم دیگر شاد نیستی.کاش فقط میتوانستم تو را شاد کنم!» خیلی دوستداشتنی بود محبت این دو تا برادر...
Rumaisa Ahmad-doleh
كتاب الطفولة <3
. اليازية خليفة
هذا كتاب يعلم الطفل معاني النخوة والجرأة والسعي للمبدأ.. تقرأ فيما بين أسطره مايعيد الرجولة إلى من اعتاد الاستعباد.. السرد غير معقد أبدا يسهل فهمه.. والرسومات على بساطتها إلا أنها تسحبك إلى زوايا مختلفة من القصة..

أفكار القصة متسلسلة وخيالية.. فالأحداث في مجملها تحدث في حياة أخرى غير حياتنا.. وتحديدا في عالم يصله من يموت.. أما شخصيات القصة فهناك شخصيات أساسية وفرعية، بالطبع الأخوين -قلب الأسد- هما بطلي القصة، أدرك أن هناك من وضع تصورا للقصة بمجرد سماع اسمهما، وأعتقد بأن الناشر تفادى ترجمة العنوا
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
"It's Valhalla — you know, for kids!" (i.e., the heroes' afterlife, but in a somewhat toned down and sanitized way.)

I can see why some people fell in love with this book when they read it as children. I also think that this is a book you have to read as a child to fully relate to its charm. (There will be adults who are exceptions to this, I suspect. It depends on how you feel about death and dying. Because it deals with these themes it would be good to preview it before giving to a young child,
Anna
I love this book more than any other Lindgren. It helped me with my fear of death as a child like nothing else possibly could have done. I read it over and over again and am now reading it to my youngest who is currently struggling with all those dark fear after her best friend's mother died suddenly a few weeks ago. To me this is the book Lindgren should have been famous for. It is one of the most beautiful and profound adventure stories for young children ever written.
Jeff
Aug 22, 2007 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a classic mythos book. It's my favorite book in the entire world. I first read this book in the third grade and kept reading it until I left that school. Then followed a period of ten years when I couldn't find the book as it had gone out of print. I finally found a copy and forced my long-suffering girlfriend to read it. And then forced my next girlfriend to read it. It's got an amazing premise for a children's book. And it's written by the Pipi Longstocking woman!
Anas Abu Samhan
Jun 20, 2015 Anas Abu Samhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من أعظم الكتب التي قرأت، والتي تتحدث عن الاخوة والتضحية
حبكة محكمة، أحداث مسرودة بشكل خيالي رائع جداً
رائعة أستريد :))
Primadonna
Jul 28, 2007 Primadonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Touching and enlightening. Somehow, I feel less afraid in embracing death after reading this story.
Jaro
Feb 23, 2016 Jaro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud
  • De kleine kapitein
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Gummi-Tarzan
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Karius und Baktus
  • Otje
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...

“Men då sa Jonatan att det fanns saker som man måste göra, även om det var farligt. ’Varför då’, undrade jag. ’Annars är man ingen människa utan bara en liten lort’, sa Jonatan.” 22 likes
“Why did you save Park's life, was that so good?'

'But what if he'd realized who you were?' I said. 'And they had caught you!'

15 likes