Start by marking “Bedtime for Mommy” as Want to Read:

Bedtime for Mommy

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  90 reviews
When it's Mommy's bedtime, she begs her little girl --

Five more minutes?

Ok, but then brush your teeth!

But then Mommy wants another glass of water…another story…luckily this little girl is very patient!

A hilarious reversal of the classic bedtime routine in which a little girl puts Mommy (and then Daddy) to bed.
Published March 30th 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Mommy

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsLilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin HenkesThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOfficer Buckle & Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
Auntie's Great Picture Books
11th out of 51 books — 16 voters
Eleven Sundays by Alonna ShawMomnesia by Lori Verni-FogarsiThe Turncoat by Donna ThorlandThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsBridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Best Books for Mother's Day Gifts
12th out of 81 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
It was going to be five stars, but then we met Daddy. Did he have conform to such a negative stereotype?!

I want my child to put me to bed. My son has been known to nurse me when I'm sick, like tucking me in and fetching orange juice, but this would be even more fun. I appreciated the drawings - done with enough craftsmanship that we could see the details of facial expressions, hair style, etc, but still lively and 'cartoony.' I also liked that each character had their own color for their dialog...more
Kathryn
A fun brand-new story of role-reversal in typical Amy Krouse Rosenthal style. Here, we have a daughter urging and helping her mom get ready for bed. In other AKR books (such as Little Hoot and Little Oink) it seems like the "role reversal" is only in the readers minds--because we KNOW that owls like to stay up all night or that pigs are "messy"--whereas in the world of the story itself the situations are very much "real" and earnest. Here, however, I think that the entire set-up is like a game f...more
Dolly
May 20, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale of switched roles where the daughter is putting her Mom through the typical bedtime routine, making sure she takes her bath, brushes her teeth long enough, and picks out clothes for the next day. Then it's storytime and lights out and she can get the next one in bed...Daddy. Our girls really enjoyed this book and so did I. The requests for an extra story and a glass of water are funny and only highlight the juxtaposition. More often than not I tumble into bed shortly aft...more
paula
I laughed out loud when the little girl, weary but still game after giving her mommy a bath, laying our her clothes for the next day, reading a story (Anna Karenina), and providing a glass of water, shuffles down the stairs and says, "One down, one to go." I think Daddy might be a tougher time!

Illustrations by LeUyen Pham, as usual, wonderfully expressive and natural.
Rachel
Simple twist, with lively illustrations
Fjóla
Jan 23, 2013 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3 - 6 year olds
I'm beginning to see that author Amy Krouse Rosenthal has got something. I gradually came to Duck! Rabbit!, after thinking at first it was just a one read/one joke book, I liked It's Not Fair! so so, although I identified with a lot of the humor, then came Spoon which we found absolutely hilarious (especially my son), a little bit in the spirit of It's Not Fair! but so much more good natured. Well, I was sold on Bedtime within the first two page spreads. Oh, so true! My son was a little perplexe...more
Sarah Sammis
Bedtime for Mommy by Amy Krouse Rosenthal takes a humorous look at the most exhausting part of parenting, putting the children to bed.

This time, it's not the child who needs to go to bed — it's the mother. The gentle but persistent daughter goes through all the usual steps to get her mother ready for bed. The mother, meanwhile, does everything she can to stall bedtime: asks for extra bedtime stories, an extra glass of water, not being able to pick out her clothes for the next day. And so forth.

L...more
Renise Black
It feels as if the author spent a week at our house because all the lines were really familiar. Even my husband made the comment that it sounds just like the same kind of conversations we have in our house. It's a really sweet, cute book that discusses the bedtime process and some of the dialogue that goes on around it.
Phoenix
Hahahahahaha.....funny and sweet book and now I think Phoenix understands the bit of stress it takes to get her into bed. She has been trying to get me to bed at bedtime too and so sweet! I pretend to fall asleep and but she pushes me awake to read a book! Also love it because its from one of our favorite authors.
Melanie
A very funny role-reversal story of a young girl who goes through EVERY step of getting a person to bed. When told that it's time for bed, Mommy asks for five more minutes. Then it's bath time and Mommy's bath toys are scented soaps and luxurious sponges. After bath time, mom and daughter pick out the next days outfit. After several outfits are presented, one is finally selected; typical child behavior. Then it's time for bedtime stories. There's only time for one and they choose Anna Karenina....more
Sara Harrison
I love AKR and this is a great one. A simple story of a little girl who has to put her mommy to bed. Mom wants to write one more email and finish one more task before she heads to bed. But the girl puts her foot down. It's sweet.
Amanda
LOVED this. Sometimes I wish it could be like this...*sigh* Hahaha.
Lori
Little ones will be tickled by the role reversal.
Shazzer
There must be some kind of luck in pairing up with Amy Krouse Rosenthal. She has worked with so many wonderful illustrators, and every time it is a near perfect match. The Little books with Jen Corace, "Duck! Rabbit!" with Tom Lichtenheld and now this with LeUyen Pham. I've long been a fan of Pham's, the "Freckleface Strawberry" books, "Grace for President", etc, and her simple exuberance and expression. Now you give me Pham paired with another one of Rosenthal's charming 'turning the tables' ta...more
Heidi
Another good Rosenthal book. I love the twist in this, which is what made the humor. Hilarious for parents (who can totally understand) and for children will love that twist a lot. I think this may work in a PJ storytime.

11/29/10 Perfect in storytime! The kids loved seeing the mom act like the child. I could hear the parents in the back chuckling, too. They liked the ending (which is very good). And to get a good reading (since it is not very text heavy), I had the kids telling me some of what w...more
Andrea Wilkinson
I love Amy Krouse Rosenthal's books!
Dawn
Aug 31, 2011 Dawn added it
Shelves: kids-books
I picked this up at the library while doing a quick, I'm-in-a-hurry-but-the-boys-need-new-books-so-I'll-grab-random-ones-off-the-shelves walk-through the other day. I didn't notice until I got home that it's by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, whose big-person books I love. What a great idea for a kids' story! Kids love to pretend and at least mine love to boss others around. It's cute. I try to focus the boys' attention on the part where the little girl carefully washes her mommy's feet in the tub. Maybe...more
Ariel Cummins
Really funny and cute story about a mommy who needs one more drink of water and one more story before she's ready for bed.

The illustrations in this book really fit well with this text. There's a lot of humor happening in the contrast between the words and drawings -- for example, mommy's bath toys are her fancy soaps and razor.

What a great book for bedtime reading! I think it would be funny to read aloud to a group, but a little of the humor of the illustrations would be lost from farther away.
Skye Robinson
PB 21: This book was really interesting because it's not the parents putting their child to bed its the child putting the parents to bed. I remember that stage in my life that I wanted to do everything on my own. Also when I wanted to be the boss and tried telling my mom when she could and couldn't do things. Most times my mom would play along which is why I liked this book. A good read for little kids to investigate having responsibility.
Mary
I picked this up at the library last week and Jacob had it memorized two readings later. It's such a fun idea for a book: the little girl gets her mommy ready for bed instead of vice versa. The phrasing is simple, and the pictures are adorable--portraying role reversal with a no-nonsense daughter while the mom acts just like a kid. Emily Blair, I totally thought of Molly when I read it...she'd love it if you haven't checked it out yet.
Callie
Read this short little book w/Tema and Jassie. They both loved it, as did I. We all laughed as we watched with recognition the difficulties of getting "Mommy" to go to sleep. The little girl must help her pick out her clothes for the next day, get a bath, brush her teeth, get some water, and leave the door open just the right amount. Quite enjoyable. There aren't a lot of words here, the pictures really tell the story.
Jill
I love the artist's work and thought the story was cute. Sophie really loved the idea of the little girl getting to be the mommy for a change. I suspect lots of preschoolers will identify with and love the premise. It's very short and sweet with minimal dialogue (that's my biggest complaint - I would have preferred more narration since in my experience dialogue is harder to read-aloud to small children).
Phoebe
Excellent role-reversal picture book with funny illustrations that are worth a thousand words. (My favorites: the rapt expression on Mommy's face as her daughter reads from Anna Karenina, and the startlement on Daddy's face as he, clearly just having settled down with some snacks in front of the TV, is notified that it is his bedtime next.) Try this with kindergartners, they will best appreciate it.
Jessica Crockett
Not my favorite...
Jessica
Such a fun book! With some fun little pictures and just a few words, we hear the story of a little girl putting her mommy to bed. But mommy wants to spend five more minutes on the computer, and wants to read two books, not one, in a fun reversal of what normally goes on with putting kids to bed. My five-year-old laughed and laughed, and can't stop talking about it!
Robin
As I was looking around for books to read with the 'Sweet Dreams' theme, I saw this one and since it's by Amy Krouse Rosenthalwho is one of my favorites, especially after hearing her speak and chatting with her briefly at SLJ's day of Dialog in June 2012. This is hilarious.
Elizabeth
A cute story about a little girl who has to convince mom that it's bedtime and try to fill all mother's demands before her mother will finally fall asleep. I agree with one reviewer that I wish dad weren't such a bad stereotype, but still a pretty adorable book.

I just got it for the coming baby, along with classic pooh ABC and 123 books, from the HPB.
Sarah Souther
A little girl puts her parents to bed, with the usual bedtime delays ("Can we read 2 stories?" "Wait! May I have a glass of water?"). The dialog by _Little Pea_ author Rosenthal is spot-on. A lot of the story is told in Pham's wonderful illustrations. My 4-year-old daughter loves this and I am the only person permitted to read it to her.
Jackie
The tables are turned when Mommy won't go to bed (using all the usual excuses), so of course, the little girl hast to read a bedtime story (or two) to Mommy, fetch a glass of water, and leave the door open just a little bit more. The illustrations are just perfect and every child (and parent) can relate to this tale of bedtime humor.
Sheri
Fun interpretation of getting Mommy and Daddy ready for bed instead of the child. Cute interpretation and nice pictures by LeUyen Pham. Would read it to get the kids brainstorming about persuading parents to move or discuss bedtimes. A reversal type picture book where child puts parents to bed. Not the classic picture book structure.
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • The Doghouse
  • Can't Sleep Without Sheep
  • Up and Down
  • Are You Awake?
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...
Duck! Rabbit! Little Pea Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Exclamation Mark Little Hoot