Start by marking “Bedtime for Mommy” as Want to Read:

Bedtime for Mommy

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  532 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews

When it's Mommy's bedtime, she begs her little girl --

Five more minutes?

Ok, but then brush your teeth!

But then Mommy wants another glass of water…another story…luckily this little girl is very patient!

A hilarious reversal of the classic bedtime routine in which a little girl puts Mommy (and then Daddy) to bed.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 3/30/
Published April 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Mommy

Kathryn
Jun 13, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A fun brand-new story of role-reversal in typical Amy Krouse Rosenthal style. Here, we have a daughter urging and helping her mom get ready for bed. In other AKR books (such as Little Hoot and Little Oink) it seems like the "role reversal" is only in the readers minds--because we KNOW that owls like to stay up all night or that pigs are "messy"--whereas in the world of the story itself the situations are very much "real" and earnest. Here, however, I think that the entire set-up is like a game f ...more
paula
I laughed out loud when the little girl, weary but still game after giving her mommy a bath, laying our her clothes for the next day, reading a story (Anna Karenina), and providing a glass of water, shuffles down the stairs and says, "One down, one to go." I think Daddy might be a tougher time!

Illustrations by LeUyen Pham, as usual, wonderfully expressive and natural.
Felicia Moore
Feb 17, 2016 Felicia Moore rated it it was amazing
baby girl and me love this book. :D
Rachel
Nov 26, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Simple twist, with lively illustrations
Fjóla
Jan 23, 2013 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3 - 6 year olds
I'm beginning to see that author Amy Krouse Rosenthal has got something. I gradually came to Duck! Rabbit!, after thinking at first it was just a one read/one joke book, I liked It's Not Fair! so so, although I identified with a lot of the humor, then came Spoon which we found absolutely hilarious (especially my son), a little bit in the spirit of It's Not Fair! but so much more good natured. Well, I was sold on Bedtime within the first two page spreads. Oh, so true! My son was a little perplexe ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jul 16, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Bedtime for Mommy by Amy Krouse Rosenthal takes a humorous look at the most exhausting part of parenting, putting the children to bed.

This time, it's not the child who needs to go to bed — it's the mother. The gentle but persistent daughter goes through all the usual steps to get her mother ready for bed. The mother, meanwhile, does everything she can to stall bedtime: asks for extra bedtime stories, an extra glass of water, not being able to pick out her clothes for the next day. And so forth.

L
Melanie
A very funny role-reversal story of a young girl who goes through EVERY step of getting a person to bed. When told that it's time for bed, Mommy asks for five more minutes. Then it's bath time and Mommy's bath toys are scented soaps and luxurious sponges. After bath time, mom and daughter pick out the next days outfit. After several outfits are presented, one is finally selected; typical child behavior. Then it's time for bedtime stories. There's only time for one and they choose Anna Karenina. ...more
Dolly
May 20, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale of switched roles where the daughter is putting her Mom through the typical bedtime routine, making sure she takes her bath, brushes her teeth long enough, and picks out clothes for the next day. Then it's storytime and lights out and she can get the next one in bed...Daddy. Our girls really enjoyed this book and so did I. The requests for an extra story and a glass of water are funny and only highlight the juxtaposition. More often than not I tumble into bed shortly aft ...more
Shazzer
Mar 28, 2010 Shazzer rated it it was amazing
There must be some kind of luck in pairing up with Amy Krouse Rosenthal. She has worked with so many wonderful illustrators, and every time it is a near perfect match. The Little books with Jen Corace, "Duck! Rabbit!" with Tom Lichtenheld and now this with LeUyen Pham. I've long been a fan of Pham's, the "Freckleface Strawberry" books, "Grace for President", etc, and her simple exuberance and expression. Now you give me Pham paired with another one of Rosenthal's charming 'turning the tables' ta ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 06, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really funny and cute story about a mommy who needs one more drink of water and one more story before she's ready for bed.

The illustrations in this book really fit well with this text. There's a lot of humor happening in the contrast between the words and drawings -- for example, mommy's bath toys are her fancy soaps and razor.

What a great book for bedtime reading! I think it would be funny to read aloud to a group, but a little of the humor of the illustrations would be lost from farther away.
Dawn
May 20, 2016 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I picked this up at the library while doing a quick, I'm-in-a-hurry-but-the-boys-need-new-books-so-I'll-grab-random-ones-off-the-shelves walk-through the other day. I didn't notice until I got home that it's by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, whose big-person books I love. What a great idea for a kids' story! Kids love to pretend and at least mine love to boss others around. It's cute. I try to focus the boys' attention on the part where the little girl carefully washes her mommy's feet in the tub. Maybe ...more
Heidi-Marie
Another good Rosenthal book. I love the twist in this, which is what made the humor. Hilarious for parents (who can totally understand) and for children will love that twist a lot. I think this may work in a PJ storytime.

11/29/10 Perfect in storytime! The kids loved seeing the mom act like the child. I could hear the parents in the back chuckling, too. They liked the ending (which is very good). And to get a good reading (since it is not very text heavy), I had the kids telling me some of what w
Jill
Aug 21, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, picture
I love the artist's work and thought the story was cute. Sophie really loved the idea of the little girl getting to be the mommy for a change. I suspect lots of preschoolers will identify with and love the premise. It's very short and sweet with minimal dialogue (that's my biggest complaint - I would have preferred more narration since in my experience dialogue is harder to read-aloud to small children).
Mary
Nov 10, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
I picked this up at the library last week and Jacob had it memorized two readings later. It's such a fun idea for a book: the little girl gets her mommy ready for bed instead of vice versa. The phrasing is simple, and the pictures are adorable--portraying role reversal with a no-nonsense daughter while the mom acts just like a kid. Emily Blair, I totally thought of Molly when I read it...she'd love it if you haven't checked it out yet.
Kaelyn
Mar 23, 2016 Kaelyn rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it's funny because the girl is putting them to bed. It's like the girl adopted them when they were parents. But they were getting adopted and they stayed in the care whatever it is. (Foster care.) It's a little funny because it's with the dad too. And they have to do all these specific things. They have to do lots of things. And it's funny that the girl put their bed so the blankets were all proper but then they would have to mess it up. Hahahahaha!
Callie
Jan 26, 2012 Callie rated it really liked it
Shelves: tema-s-books
Read this short little book w/Tema and Jassie. They both loved it, as did I. We all laughed as we watched with recognition the difficulties of getting "Mommy" to go to sleep. The little girl must help her pick out her clothes for the next day, get a bath, brush her teeth, get some water, and leave the door open just the right amount. Quite enjoyable. There aren't a lot of words here, the pictures really tell the story.
Skye Robinson
Oct 01, 2012 Skye Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
PB 21: This book was really interesting because it's not the parents putting their child to bed its the child putting the parents to bed. I remember that stage in my life that I wanted to do everything on my own. Also when I wanted to be the boss and tried telling my mom when she could and couldn't do things. Most times my mom would play along which is why I liked this book. A good read for little kids to investigate having responsibility.
Phoebe
Oct 17, 2010 Phoebe rated it liked it
Excellent role-reversal picture book with funny illustrations that are worth a thousand words. (My favorites: the rapt expression on Mommy's face as her daughter reads from Anna Karenina, and the startlement on Daddy's face as he, clearly just having settled down with some snacks in front of the TV, is notified that it is his bedtime next.) Try this with kindergartners, they will best appreciate it.
Alison
Oct 21, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
My 2-year-old really enjoyed this book and it was cute for me to read as well! Such a cute idea that the child is putting mommy to bed instead of the other way around! Not many words and I ended up narrating some parts with just pictures, but he would ask to read it each night before bed while we were borrowing it from the library.
Jessica
Jun 29, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Such a fun book! With some fun little pictures and just a few words, we hear the story of a little girl putting her mommy to bed. But mommy wants to spend five more minutes on the computer, and wants to read two books, not one, in a fun reversal of what normally goes on with putting kids to bed. My five-year-old laughed and laughed, and can't stop talking about it!
Dana
May 11, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it
Any parent who's had a child ask for "just five more minutes" before bedtime, beg for a glass of water, or want two stories before bed will enjoy this book where the tables are turned and it's "Bedtime for Mommy."

This book is best suited for an in-lap reading since some of the illustrations, though detailed, are kind of small.
Phoenix
May 06, 2014 Phoenix rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hahahahahaha.....funny and sweet book and now I think Phoenix understands the bit of stress it takes to get her into bed. She has been trying to get me to bed at bedtime too and so sweet! I pretend to fall asleep and but she pushes me awake to read a book! Also love it because its from one of our favorite authors.
Angela
Dec 18, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When bedtime roles are reversed, mommy's reluctance (Five more minutes?) and her nighttime requests (Can we read two?) become chucklingly funny. Two more twists in the end of this already backwards tale, make this one a real treat. LeUyen Pham's watercolor and vignette style illustrations couldn't be better.
carissa
When it's Mommy's bedtime, she begs her little girl --

Five more minutes?

Ok, but then brush your teeth!

Jackie
Apr 26, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
The tables are turned when Mommy won't go to bed (using all the usual excuses), so of course, the little girl hast to read a bedtime story (or two) to Mommy, fetch a glass of water, and leave the door open just a little bit more. The illustrations are just perfect and every child (and parent) can relate to this tale of bedtime humor.
Robin
Aug 08, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As I was looking around for books to read with the 'Sweet Dreams' theme, I saw this one and since it's by Amy Krouse Rosenthalwho is one of my favorites, especially after hearing her speak and chatting with her briefly at SLJ's day of Dialog in June 2012. This is hilarious.
Sarah Souther
May 04, 2010 Sarah Souther rated it really liked it
A little girl puts her parents to bed, with the usual bedtime delays ("Can we read 2 stories?" "Wait! May I have a glass of water?"). The dialog by _Little Pea_ author Rosenthal is spot-on. A lot of the story is told in Pham's wonderful illustrations. My 4-year-old daughter loves this and I am the only person permitted to read it to her.
Drew Graham
Sep 01, 2016 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Bedtime for Mommy! But first she has to get ready with a little help.

Ah, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, another home run. This book was a great turnaround on the bedtime routine, with a fun other shoe. The illustrations are just right and there's character all over the place. This was probably more amusing to the readers than the read-to in our house, but they still enjoyed it too.
Gwen the Librarian
Oct 14, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This role-reversal bedtime book had me laughing out loud at all the right grown-up moments, but I think kids would enjoy the story from the aspect of the little girl bossing her mom about tooth brushing and such. I can see this one getting acted out at home - definitely a winner for parents and kids.
Renise Black
Oct 02, 2014 Renise Black rated it liked it
It feels as if the author spent a week at our house because all the lines were really familiar. Even my husband made the comment that it sounds just like the same kind of conversations we have in our house. It's a really sweet, cute book that discusses the bedtime process and some of the dialogue that goes on around it.
  • Mitchell's License

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is.
She divides her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a person who likes to make things.
Some things she likes to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something out
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...