Start by marking “Sarah from Alaska: The Sudden Rise and Brutal Education of a New Conservative Superstar” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A year after a vice presidential campaign that remains as consequential as it was controversial, Sarah Palin is still the most dynamic yet polarizing Republican in America. Now Scott Conroy and Shushannah Walshe draw on their experiences as embedded reporters on Palin’s campaign, exclusive on-scene coverage of Palin’s post-election struggles in Alaska, and revealing interv ...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by PublicAffairs (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah from Alaska, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah from Alaska

Mel Tungate
This is a very well written very readable book about the new right wing super star. It is very complimentary and positive towards her, much more than I thought it would be.

But, in the end, you cannot keep the totally narcissic, totally unprepared, totally inept, totally self absorbed Sarah out of the book. Try as they might, it is hard to disguise that this woman belongs nowhere near a leadership position. While they can paint it any color they want, it is hard to disguise she went to five colle
Maiesha
I read this book simply to learn a bit more about Sarah Palin, since I find her a fascinating character, and think that her rise and fall exemplifies myriad issues including the state of modern politics, the status of women, evangelical Christianity, etc. After watching the film Game Change and Julianne Moore's masterful portrayal (which included the pivotal role Tina Fey had in characterizing Sarah as an Evangelical, moose-hunting dolt), I was intrigued enough to find out more about a woman who ...more
Mazola1
Written by two reporters who covered the Palin vice-presidential campaign, Sarah from Alaska reads a bit like Sarah Palin 101. Which is to say it's more of a basic introduction than an in-depth examination. But maybe that's just what's needed. Given the continuing saturation coverage of all things Palin and her rock-star like celebrity, it's odd how little most people actually know about her, either as a person or as a politician. This books sketches Palin's life and political career in broad ou ...more
Elyse
Well researched and documented book about Sarah Palin. The writers did an excellent job of painting a picture of both the woman Sarah Palin is and her astounding rise to fame. The authors did a great job presenting information without tipping their hand as to their personal beliefs/opinions about their topic.
Josh
As someone who is by no means a Palin supporter, I thought this book was very fair and balanced, to borrow a term. The authors are just as likely to highlight a positive trait as they are to label a move a misstep. The story of her rise to power is truly impressive, but god help us if she ever becomes president.
Cris
All I knew was that I disliked Sarah Palin, thought she was unelectable, but I didn't know why. Now that I've read her book, I find that she's a lot smarter and likeable than I thought, but I still don't GET her. Maybe that's a good thing. I feel like a lot of what she's about is untold in this book.
Michael Taylor
Overall, a balanced look at Palin's place in the 2008 presidential campaign. The book should be read in conjunction with Palin's own book GOING ROGUE. The bulk of the sources for this book are not from her side of the story which is why it should be read before or after her book.
Jodi
A surprisingly balanced look at Sarah Palin. Lots of interviews with people who know her in Alaska. The authors were embedded with the campaign so they have a lot of behind-the-scenes information.
Dee
I enjoyed it. The campaign bosses, not John McCain, held her back, squelched her, so she couldn't campaign the way she wanted. I believe it cost John McCain the election too.
Ashley Bradley
After reading this book and I can no longer say that I hate Sarah Palin. But I still hate her politics.
Paige
Gossipy. Mildly interesting.
Richard
Some what negative.
Andrew
Andrew added it
Oct 11, 2014
Jennifer Jacobs
Jennifer Jacobs marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Mallory Potosky
Mallory Potosky marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
JENNIFER
JENNIFER marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014