Start by marking “Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)” as Want to Read:
Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)

Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  376 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This book will be going out of contract with the listed publisher on February 28th of 2013.

Please also note that due to ongoing illness Auburnimp was unable to complete the series. She is has officially retired from writing and the series will be finished by the setting's creator, Michael Barnette, following the story arc the authors originally created. It will be changing
ebook, 1st Edition, 103 pages
Published December 15th 2008 by Liquid Silver Books

To ask other readers questions about Hajiri's Pet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hajiri's Pet

Captive Prince by C.S. PacatDuck! by Kim DareBloodraven by P.L. NunnCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatConcubine by Jill Knowles
Best Gay Slaves
36th out of 212 books — 830 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
211th out of 669 books — 962 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookwatcher
Do you want an incentive to read this story?

Let me talk about the main character, the Snow Leopard of that image... I bet you will be mesmerized as I was!

Zen, white hair and golden eyes is a snow leopard and a battlepet. He was genetically constructed to be a pet (submissive) and a defender, being a ferocious animal if he must defend his onwer.
After a battlepet fight he is treated like a garbage, and his onwer dump him like that... a garbage sack.

Hajii is not like Zen... but at the same time
Alina
Jul 09, 2010 Alina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Excellent, excellent book with an intense, interesting world, intriguing characters (and their lives and struggles), and excellent plot. I was drawn into the authors' world immediately, and was entranced with the zone warriors, gunwhores, battlepets, and evil corporations immediately.

This book has strong dominance and submission elements because of the nature of the battlepet and his conditioning to obey his Master.

HOWEVER, this book is NOT FINISHED. I do not know if there is a sequel, but it
Dee Wy
4 1/2 stars rounded to 5. This story surprised me on several levels. One it was actually a sweet love story of a Battlepet, bred and trained to both protect and submit to a master. Zen had never had a master keep him for long and his most recent master had him thrown in the dumpster, so I was compelled to hope along with him that he had found his "forever master".

Secondly, the world building was very nicely done without info dumps or too many details to keep track of. And finally, there is a ver
Elizabetta

It’s the lure of the PL Nunn cover… gets me every time in it’s awesome sweetness.

But.

This story alternately entertained and annoyed. I blame it mostly on the pacing. So slow and tedious when the action stopped, so fun when there was lots of back talk, posturing and gunfights.

Zeshin/Zen, or “the boy”, is a lab-engineered fighting machine (part human/part snow leopard), owned by an Aoki Corp thug. Zen is treated like an animal, a pet, and has much value as a submissive sex-toy. This is one expens
Elisa Rolle
Well, well, well, it's not easy to write something on this book and let you understand the mixed feelings it gave me. Hajiri is a former gunwhore (a mix between a paid bodyguard and a whore) and now a zonewarrior, a man paid for resolving other people problems maybe not in a legal way. In one of his nightly wandering in the wealthy zone of an apocalyptic Tokyo, Hajiri finds himself with something he is not sure to want, a pet, a genetically engineering mix between a human and a snow leopard. Ken ...more
Kassa
Oct 10, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it
This is an interesting futuristic vision of the world where the incredibly rich live in a well-maintained area of Tokyo, whereas those less fortunate live within the walls of the Shinjuku Containment Area Zone. Hajiri is a now a muscleman for the zone, a step up from gunwhore when he sold his body and his protection to the highest bidder. While at a popular club, Hajiri happens to see a human pet fight about to start and leaves when it’s obvious one of the pets is supposed to lose on purpose to ...more
Serena Yates
Jul 28, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
In many ways this is a very dark vision of our future. Big corporations have taken over the world, are fighting wars against each other, and have enslaved humans by using chips to manipulate their brains. And if that isn't enough, they're also breeding and training people to be slaves. They call them "nilhumans", and they have serial numbers instead of names.

What I really liked about this book was the great world building, as well as the underlying message of hope. This is the story of one human
Ravyn
Oh, P.L. Nunn, I just can't say no to books with your lovely artwork on the cover.

As for the story itself, I found Hajiri's Pet to be a relatively light and entertaining read, although somewhat repetitive in terms of dialogue and sex scenes. (I think "This boy loves his Master" was probably said about 8928 times, no joke.) Aside from that, I thought the sci-fi elements, worldbuilding, and overall storyline were enjoyable and intriguing. My biggest complaint is that the novel ends somewhat abrupt
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Nov 17, 2010 Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold-for-now
Such a pretty cover.. *sigh*
Jan 11, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Hajiri is a zonewarrior. A former gunwhore who once sold his body for money, he’s looking for the job that will let him move up in the live and die world of the Shinjuku Containment Area.

A chance meeting outside a popular Shinjuku club leaves Hajiri in the possession of a corporate high roller’s battlepet. A young human/snow leopard cross genetically engineered to be the perfect sexual partner and bodyguard.

The last thing Hajiri needs is a complication in his life. But how can he turn away a per
Jenre
Apr 11, 2011 Jenre rated it really liked it
This is a futuristic D/s story set in Tokyo which tells of zonewarrior Hariji who is rescued by a discarded battlepet when he is attacked by a gang on the street. A battlepet is a genetically bred man or woman who is created to act as a sexual slave to the rich but who is enhanced with fighting abilities so they can be pitted against each other in something similar to a dog fight. Hariji takes the pet home and becomes his new master. On a suspicious routine job Hariji discovers that there's much ...more
Ayanna
Mar 09, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, indulgence, meh
Heh, heh. Lookie what I found languishing in one of my numerous folders.
Anyways, here's the review:

Man, all this "this boy" business...what's up with that? Unless they're referring one of these things. (yeah, it's Japanese, but come on. I'm sorry, but Japanese pm takes a lot of stuff from Chinese.)
But yeah. These things don't translate to English (imagine how awk it is for me to try to explain historical dramas to non-Chinese speakers =_=) very well/at all...
I mean, it's set in a pseudo-Japanese
Absynthe
Mar 21, 2011 Absynthe rated it really liked it
This book fairly BEGS for a sequel. The main plot points of this book were wrapped up nicely, but there are enough secondary plots and other details to fill at least one more good-sized book.

I liked this one a lot. I'm a fan of Cyberpunk anyway, so this book hit a couple of my favorite genres. I liked the characters, I liked the world. It's different enough from the majority "boy meets boy and something happens" books that I'll remember this one for a while.
Vivian
Nov 22, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Gritty shifter tale that addresses class hierarchy and the rise of corporations in the power structure. Excellent worldbuilding, the only thing missing was the sound of pachinko parlors ringing up through Shinjuku. Sensitive treatment of a m-m D/s relationship. Only glitch for me was some of the dialogue struck me as odd, overly verbose or complete sentences when fragments would stand in better. Definitely interested in a follow-up.
pbj
For Pete's sake, where's the sequel?
LD  Durham
Oct 13, 2011 LD Durham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yaoi
I danced around this book for over a year, unsure of it. My hesitation was, unfortunately, founded. It just didn't deliver a satisfying story.

I give kudos to the author for the imagination and clever use of future vernacular. Top notch on that. But the rest of the story was left to be a mess. The worst sin an author can commit, in my opinion, is to treat the reader as if I am stupid. But in this case, I think it was more of a case of the author forgetting what she wrote. Hajiri professed his lov
Merith
Aug 30, 2011 Merith rated it liked it
I want to give this story a higher rating, because I would so love to read more about this post apocalyptic world barely created. Both Hajiri and Zen were intriguing, and I would have love to read more about them; to read about the loose threads touched upon, that led the reader to believe there will be more. But, by the age of the book and no mention of a sequel, it doesn't look like this will happen.

(view spoiler)
Lexi Ander
Apr 03, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lexi by: glossedcurls
Battlepets and Zone Warriors. Two very different worlds collide in a dark alley when Hajiri is attached by gang members from the Red Lotus. He is saved by a discarded battlepet, left for dead in a dumpster. Hajiri takes the battlepet home, unsure what he wants to do with this high priced possession. Sell or keep him? Life in the Zone is harsh and the money could be used to make his life better. It quickly becomes evident that Hajiri isn't going to sell the beautiful pet and starts looking for wa ...more
Jimmy Hanson
Jun 17, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, m-m
This was a toss-up between a "3" star and a "4" star, but I really liked it on a basic level and so chose for the better option ... the first two chapters or so is confusing, bogging the reader down with a million terms that are foreign enough to make it incomprehensible. And yet reading about Zen's fighting abilities and then seeing the complete turn-around when he faces whom he considers his new "Master" is just ... wow. The possibilities are endless.

Hajiri is not a bad guy but he's not in the
Meggie
Aug 27, 2014 Meggie rated it liked it
This is one of those unfinished series, that sadly didn't get a sequel or will probably never be finished. The storyline in this first book is about Hajiri, a retired gunwhore and now a zonewarrior, and genetically made slave boy Zen. I wish we got more!
Eve
Dec 04, 2013 Eve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: people-as-pets
Great pet fiction - which is a theme that I love. If only it didn't feel like the setup for a first volume of a series, and if only I didn't have the sinking feeling that the rest of this series will never come about. I saw a comment from the co-author Michael Barnette that Auburnimp has retired from writing, which immediately made me sad about this very promising story now doomed to non-completion. (There is closure in this volume, it just didn't feel like an all problems resolved HEA end.)

Oh w
Kaylee Shyanne
Sep 27, 2012 Kaylee Shyanne rated it really liked it
I don't really know what I expected when I decided to read this, but it definitely surpassed anything I could have thought of. The world-building was extraordinary and complex enough that I want to read more about how everything works. I definitely want to read more about he characters. Zen was adorable, and I want to see more about his development of his sense of self. And Hajiri? He definitely has the personality I'd expect from someone born and raised in the underbelly of this technologically ...more
Lynnebaby
Jul 03, 2011 Lynnebaby rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The slave/master relationship wasn't my favorite. Mostly, because the slave had no choice in his feelings or need for his master. I do like where it's heading, however, and I kind of liked that I knew very little about this world and bit by bit it was created around the characters. I wonder if this will be a series, because it felt like a set up for something more, so that's why so why I rate it 3.5 stars. By the end, I felt like I just started to figure things out and it was over. I ...more
Tamela
A snow leopard / human hybrid mix. Interesting. Now throw in a futuristic Corporations vs everyone else and you have a good story. I love the battlepets, gunwhores, and zonewarriors. What concepts!!! I liked the characters, though I was very happy when Zen started to get past "This boy" all the time :) Very enjoyable read and I have to go looking for the rest of the series if there are any more.

So sorry to see this series never went any farther.
===============================
1st read - Nov 1, 20
Sylvia
Ever since I've read Evangeline Anderson's "Slave Boy", I've been desperatelly looking for a BL novel, that can touch my heart in a simmilar way. Finaly, after few years time, there it is - "Hajiri's Pet". Both books are simmilar in fact of telling the story of a master and his boy, but the most important thing is heart-warming atmosphere, full of love and trust. The story is just beautiful and I love the characters. Besides the romantic plot there is still some place for adventures. I can't wai ...more
Miranda
Loved it! Gonna move on to the rest of the series. Scifi M/M romance with battlepets and zonewarriors. Takes a little bit to get into the world with all the new vocab thrown at you (including shortened versions of words you aren't familiar with yet) but it is worth the small initial struggle.

Visit my book blog @ Sweet Vernal Zephyr
Shannon
Sep 23, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
God, after reading this book I'm just wishing there were going to be more. What a fun read. Poor Zen with his programming and confusion and tough Hajiri who's really not all that tough. The world they live in sounds freaking miserable! Danger and death everywhere and at any time. But they found eachother and lurrrrrve. Very sweet story among the chaos and fighting.
Leah
Aug 25, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
I would've rated this book 5 stars if it were a least a hundred pages longer. There was some interesting social commentary on the future, but also on relationships between classes and on poverty. I finished it wanting to know more about Zen's beginning, Hajiri's life, and of their future. I'd like to read more from these authors.
Vfields is Darn Happy!
Wow, I was reading this just as a little diversion and I was totally surprised to find Hajiri & The Pet completely intriguing. I wanted it to be longer, in fact that's my biggest complaint.
So where is the sequel? I want more!

If you're bothered by violence and futurist setting don't read. Everyone else get on board.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Excellent excellent world building and writing, but I didn't really dig their relationship. I admit it was hot, but it's not exactly the kind of thing that does it for me.

Recommended though, if you enjoy this genre and are interested in this book.
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Velvet Need (A Velvet Glove Novel)
  • Heroes & Ghosts
  • Wings (Wings, #1)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Scarred
  • Some Kind of Stranger (Blue Ruin, #1)
  • Slave Boy
  • Obedience Training (Ian McAllistor #1)
  • Outcast Mine
  • Wishbone
  • Bloodraven
  • Creation's Control (Creations #2)
  • Concubine
  • Wild Passions
Auburnimp has been writing since she was fifteen. Her characters are always strong, feisty and often impetuous enough to get into dangerous situations rather like their creator.

She has been a knife-thrower’s target, an exotic dancer, a drummer, a homeless wanderer and many other things due to a desire to simply go where life takes her.

She now lives in a small house in a large English city with fo
More about Auburnimp...