Start by marking “A Good Land” as Want to Read:
A Good Land

A Good Land

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Awar Jarrar has written a powerful and moving novel, full of character and insight, of joy and tears, which makes us understand how people can stand such daily fear of violence and can continue to have faith in the country of their heart.
Published February 1st 2010 by HarperTorch (first published August 4th 2008)

Although a simple tale, with a slow-moving narrative, I found that I enjoyed this novel simply because it exposed me to a new culture. After reading this book, I wanted to just rush out to the nearest Lebanese restaurant and order some 'labneh' or walk along the wharf trying to picture the vividly described scenes of daily life at the corniche. Scenes of the daily struggle faced by refugees from villages and daily life in the city where life must go on despite the war raging around it, will alwa ...more
A novel set in Beirut, Lebanon of how some v different individuals are thrown together and how thier lives evolve in a city which is often riddled with conflict and strife.
Nina May
I enjoyed this one although didn't think it was anything too special. Nicely written and easy to read.
“We’re all in the same boat, waiting for a chance to go back home”

Set in 2005 downtown Beirut, Nada Jarrar’s third novel invites the reader to join the characters’ quest for belonging and their search for hope and certainty in a turbulent Lebanon. While echoing many universal diasporic themes, A Good Land sheds light on the diasporic representation and idea of ‘home’. According to the epigram by Viktor Frankl at the beginning of the novel:

“For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from da
John Benson
I really liked this book about a Lebanese woman named Layla who moves back to Beirut from Australia, a move her family can not understand, but she misses it too much. She forms two close relationships with two fellow apartment residents--Margo and Kamal. The novel brings out her strong connection to Beirut despite its instability and the close relationships between these three friends. A very satisfying book.
The premise -the story of Lebanon as told by various residents of one apartment building. Sounds intiguing, right? Alas, for me the story was slow-moving and cluttered with too many ponderous observations.

But what really made me give up on this book was the character Margo- she's so kind and wonderfully wise, completely mysterious and unrealistically saintly. What drove me over the edge was how Margo called her neighbor Layla 'sweetheart' in nearly every single line of dialogue. I know that's
Zy Nab
A novel that shows the impact of war on people from different backgrounds using very deep meanings. It also helps us realize the bond to our country and how much it needs us as we it... This book conveys the real meaning of J.K Rowling's quote "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light".
Interesting to read about Lebanon but a bit slow.
A stupid book felt like reading a storybook from kindergarten
Maryoomamaryooma marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Mooniq Shaikjee
Mooniq Shaikjee marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Leanne Sinclair
Leanne Sinclair marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Kelly added it
Apr 20, 2015
Rio added it
Apr 01, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Kay marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Farah Nada
Farah Nada marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Linda Page
Linda Page marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Moufida Fifi
Moufida Fifi marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Nada Awar Jarrar is a Lebanese novelist. Her novel, Somewhere, Home, won the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, Best First Book, South East Asia and South Pacific.
She has lived in London, Paris, Sydney and Washington D.C. She is married; they have a daughter and live in Beirut.
More about Nada Awar Jarrar...
Somewhere, Home Dreams Of Water