Start by marking “Hiring, Training, and Supervising Library Shelvers” as Want to Read:
Hiring, Training, and Supervising Library Shelvers

Hiring, Training, and Supervising Library Shelvers

How do you find good library shelvers and keep them for more than a few months? Tunstall gives practical advice to help you do just that with a complete overview on how to hire, test, train, and retain shelvers.
Published October 1st 2009 by American Library Association (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Hiring, Training, and Supervising Library Shelvers

Martyn
Jul 14, 2016 Martyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Shelving team managers
This title contains basic information but this would be a great starting place for a brand new manager of a shelving team. For experienced managers it offers a good chance to test your own processes and opinions of things like the hiring, training, development and the discipline of shelving aides.

There is also a fairly useful, if a little over the top, section on how to manage large reorganizations of material - I can tell you that after managing a few large scale moves myself the author's metho
Ginny
Dec 08, 2015 Ginny added it
Eh. Not very helpful....
Niece
May 12, 2016 Niece rated it it was amazing
If you are a supervisor of Library Pages this is book is for you. Made some good points and had lots of helpful ideas.
Lisa
May 05, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
(Non-Fiction: Library Science) As a supervisor of 20-some students at an academic library, I really enjoyed this book and found many parts useful. I took notes on interview questions, verbiage to use when training, and how to encourage shelvers who make mistakes. I am looking forward to implementing a shelf-reading log and daily log of shelving with my students next semester. I highly recommend this quick, informative read to other supervisors.
Mira Domsky
Dec 09, 2010 Mira Domsky rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Useful information, definitely worth my time, but I would have liked a little more detail on how to run meetings, and how to manage employees when things aren't going as planned. Maybe I should read another book about general management, and what to do when employees have problems with things or when they are upset.
Amy
As a supervisor of the adult pages in our library, I found this book to be extremely helpful. There were many great ideas on the many aspects of supervising a library page. I wish I would have had this 5 years ago when I started having the responsibility for the pages.
Beth E
Dec 13, 2015 Beth E rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
This book is on the short side, but it is jam packed with information that I found useful. I especially appreciate the hints on how to deal tactfully with difficult situations. I find it difficult to think of the right way to say things on the spur of the moment.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, business
Great content, but pricey for its length.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Heather Lipinski
Heather Lipinski marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Megan Glass
Megan Glass marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Meg Adams
Meg Adams marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Quinsheeda
Quinsheeda rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Alfreda
Alfreda marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Tanya
Tanya added it
Jun 16, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Sujoy Ghosh
Sujoy Ghosh marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Prakash Km
Prakash Km marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Keith McVean
Keith McVean rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013