Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes (Pete the Cat)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  10,577 ratings  ·  932 reviews
Pete the Cat goes walking down the street wearing his brand new white shoes. Along the way, his shoes change from white to red to blue to brown to WET as he steps in piles of strawberries, blueberries, and other big messes! But no matter what color his shoes are, Pete keeps movin' and groovin' and singing his song...because it's all good. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoe...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Cat

Lisa
One of the best children's books. Period.
Trudi
The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song....because it's all good.
I'm now convinced that Pete is a hippie, who spends the majority of his time high as a kite. He's just figured out another way of saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" but for the kiddies. Not as groovin' as His Four Groovy Buttons, but still a must for Pete the Cat fans.
Mari
I can't wait to use this book with a group of kids! It has a wide range of appeal (good for younger and older storytime groups) and has lots of opportunities for audience participation. You can sing with Pete, guess what color his shoes will turn based on what he steps in, and have the kids join in on the "goodness no!" refrain. What fun! You can even check the publisher's website to hear the story and find out how the author sings Pete's song.
My latest storytime discovery combines my two loves: a positive attitude and, well, shoes. Pretty genius!

Meet this happy go-lucky cat out for a stroll in his brand new white shoes when he happens to step in a huge pile of strawberries! "What color did it turn his shoes?"

Shoe transformation occurs three more times with varying slants (and oddly enough, another mountain of fruit) but each time, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness, no! He kept walking along and singing his song."

Pete's song, "I love my _____...more
Marya
Nov 14, 2010 Marya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hip Cats
Shelves: picture-books
If cool jazz wrote a children's book, this is it. Despite getting his brand new shoes in a variety of stain situations that would challenge a Tide commercial, Pete the Cat keeps "walking along and singing his song, because it's all good".
One reviewer felt that this book does not teach children appropriate problem solving skills. I disagree. I think chilling out is certainly something I want my child to learn. So your sippy cup doesn't get instantaneously refilled? So Mommy won't let you play wi...more
midnightfaerie
Pete the Cat books rock. Didn't know anything about them, until I saw a Pete the Cat class at my local library for my K-5 grade and signed him up. Then I checked out some of the books, to see if he'd like them. Not only did he love them, but my 2 yr old twins do as well. He's laid back, cool, and groovy with beautiful and colorful illustration. All three of my kids love finding the yellow bird that follows him around on every page. (Makes me think of my Richard Scary books I had as a kid where I...more
paula
Think of the blue dog - those stupid paintings from the Clinton era, which I think that guy is still doing - and then make them cool, not creepy, and of a self-assured cat rather than a freaked-out dog, and you have a starting point for visualizing the powder-coated apehanger-handlebar simple authentic genius of Pete The Cat.

DO I HYPERBOLIZE? NO I DO NOT.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Tyler Jones
Kandice
A cute story about Pete the Cat who enjoys walking in his brand new white shoes. Unfortunately, they don't remain white as Pete keeps stepping into piles of fruit and puddles. But does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walking along and singing his song.

The Pete the Cat series is one of Mackers' favourites.
“Keep walking along and
Singing your song…..”

Pete, Pete, Pete! Where have you been all my life?

Eric Litwin’s Pete the Cat filled my heart with all sorts of happy with his cool, cool, jazzy, laid back ways. From the look on Pete’s face to the bright colorful pages, this book will make readers of all ages smile ear to ear!

Pure, simple, and brilliant!

I will follow you anywhere, Pete! & You too Mr. Litwin! :D

4/8/12
Erica
May 24, 2011 Erica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has a preschool-age child, storytime librarians
Recommended to Erica by: various librarians
What an absolutely fun book! I'd read it once before then I tried it out on a friend's 3 1/2-year-old this weekend and he loved it! We sang Pete's song and he was grooving to the beat. He loved telling us what color Pete's shoes were going to be next.

In three days between me, my husband and the kid's parents this book was read a total of about 9 times with 3 of those times being me.

Definitely a keeper!
Kate
Children will love this rhyming, Raffi-esque song-in-a-book. Particularly good for the younger set, who love repetition and audience participation, the only downside to this song is that everyone will be left singing, "I love my red shoes... I love my red shoes" for days! Great message, too.
Megan Bernhard
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes is a story about Pete the Cat and his brand new white shoes. Along his walk Pete steps in strawberries, blueberries, and mud turning his new shoes different colors. Pete didn't let this stop him, he kept walking along until he stepped in a bucket of water and his shoes were white again. This story teaches the reader to not let anything hold you back and just keep walking. The text and illustrations go very well together in this story. The illustrations can aid...more
Chiix Moses
MY REVIEW
Since I first heard the story of Pete the Cat and his white shoes I have absolutely adored it. Without missing a beat, Pete the Cat teaches young children that no matter what happens, they just have to keep going. I can not imagine a better book to teach children about resilience than this one. Not only is this book filled with wonderful images, untouchable rhythm, and a wonderful message, it's also just a fun read! I think that, as teachers, we often can look too deep into stories and...more
Selma D
Pete the cat: I love my white shoes by Eric Litwin and Illustrated by James Dean
Published: 2008
Age range: 3- 6

Brief Synopsis:
Pete the cat is a vey cool, chilled out cat. He loves life and loves his shoes, even after they change colour after stepping in strawberries, Blueberries and Mud. This is a short picture, story book with a simple yet positive message; which is to see the benefits even from something that can be seen as negative because: “it’s all good”.

My Opinion:
This is a great exam...more
babyhippoface
Do not be fooled by the simplicity of this little picture book. As with Mo Willems' Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, there is more here than meets the eye; there is genius in the pages.

Pete the Cat loves his new white shoes soooooo much that he sings a song about them: "I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes.... When he steps in a pile of strawberries that turn his white shoes red, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walkin' along, singin' his song: "I love my red shoes, I love...more
Ellary
Some novels bring you to tears. Others make you laugh out loud. This particular story makes you dance, dance, dance. It's hard to tell if it's Pete's glass-is-half-full outlook on life or Mama's rendition of "I Love My White Shoes" to the tune of "La Cucaracha", but Pete's amusingly messy journey with his once-white shoes is a heartwarming story not to be missed (and one, I fear, is somewhat indicative of the fate which awaits a sneaker or two in my own future).
Amy
My niece just grooves on this Pete the Cat book. She likes the song Pete sings, and she likes the repetition of the phrases in the story. It's a great book for young pre-school to early elementary aged kids. At nine years old my niece is probably a little older than this book's target audience, but whatever--she likes it.

My nephew and I had a much more difficult time enjoying this story, though, because my niece has heard the audiobook version, and she was bent on making sure that our reading du...more
Kiera Turner
Eric Litwin is a absolutely genius for writing the Pete the Cat series! Every child from the ages 3-7 love these books! This Pete the Cat is one of my favorites because I love books with songs and I love shoes! This book would be a great way to introduce colors in an interesting way! Children love songs and after hearing this book they will love it as well!
Cheryl in CC NV
Well, ok, um, doesn't transcend intended demographic well? Cute enough, but even though I like Pete's mellow & groovy attitude, I just wasn't all that impressed by the book. Going online to hear the song didn't help, either, unfortunately.
Jessi
I liked Pete. He seems pretty chill. The illustrations weren't my favorite, but that's fine. I did have one little problem, and I feel kind of dumb complaining about it, but here it goes. Pete steps in strawberries first. We turn the page and find that his white shoes are now red. That's cool. Then we read that he stepped in blueberries. We are supposed to guess what color his shoes turned. Silly me, I kind of assumed at this point that the book was about colors and how they are made. So I was k...more
Shakeema Gabriel
This book was so cute and the song that went along with it was neat. This book teaches children about colors and also that if something changes you can still learn to love it. You could even take it a step further and start talking about primary and secondary colors.
Natalie
This is one of my favorite books to read aloud + sing along to, but I have a little problem with Pete's ethos and everytime I read Pete the Cat, I cringe a little and want to stop and voice my concerns about what Pete is saying. The trouble lies here with the repeated call and response, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness no."

If something bums you out, then it's alright to cry . I grew up hearing that song and truly believing that "Crying gets the sad out of you".

So kids, when some blue cat says, "It's...more
Lisa
Reading this to the kids at work is just the best experience. Especially when they all groan "OHHHHH NOOOOOO!" with you :)
Alma Hernandez
This is a great choice to start the school year off. This book cathches the children's attention because the teacher doesn't have to read it. The book has a catchy song that comes along with the book.All of the main colors are introduced in this book.
Laurie
Sumayya
This book is fantastic for reception children. The story is about a cat who sets off on the streets with his new white shoes. Throughout his walk, his shoes turn from white to different colours. Pete the cat still continues to look cool and walk with his shoes in all these conditions.

I would recommend this book for children ages 3-5, as the book teaches children colours. Additionally, this book is fantastic for all children to join in, rehurse and encourages enthusiasm.

Melinda Garman
I think this is a great book for Pre-K to 1st grade. It not only reviews the colors, there is a message that you shouldn't get all bent out of shape, or like the saying, "Don't cry over spilt milk." Show your students both the book and the song. Sure to become a class favorite. This book would be good to read in a classroom that has ELL students because it is a fun way to review colors in English and also it is very brightly illustrated and visually appealing.
Ginna
Jun 25, 2013 Ginna added it
Shelves: feelings
A great book to use as a transition from one activity to another. You and your students can read the book while you move from the classroom to the playground. Try it, it will be fun!

If you are introducing this book for the first time to your classroom, take advantage of the patterns in the story to get the children involve. In the middle of the book, let them answer the questions and make predictions. This is a fun book!
Alesha
Aug 27, 2014 Alesha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I have thoroughly enjoyed "walking along" with Pete and my Kindergarten this week. Kindergarteners love the call and response type interaction and singing along. We first read this book and Rocking in My School Shoes and then listened to the downloadable recordings. If the kids liked listening to me read, they LOVED the "Mr. Eric" versions!

I've been singing Pete's praises all week long!
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
  • Jump!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Cat Secrets
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Wow! Said the Owl
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The...more
More about Eric Litwin...
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes Pete the Cat Saves Christmas The Nuts: Bedtime at the Nut House Pete the Cat Pack: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes; Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes