Start by marking “Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes (Pete the Cat)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,944 Ratings  ·  1,168 Reviews
Pete the Cat goes walking down the street wearing his brand new white shoes. Along the way, his shoes change from white to red to blue to brown to WET as he steps in piles of strawberries, blueberries, and other big messes! But no matter what color his shoes are, Pete keeps movin' and groovin' and singing his song...because it's all good. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoe ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2010)

Lisa
Oct 07, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books. Period.
Trudi
Sep 18, 2013 Trudi rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-inner-child, 2013
The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song....because it's all good.
I'm now convinced that Pete is a hippie, who spends the majority of his time high as a kite. He's just figured out another way of saying "Don't sweat the small stuff" but for the kiddies. Not as groovin' as His Four Groovy Buttons, but still a must for Pete the Cat fans.
Rossy
Jan 07, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"The moral of Pete's story is: No matter what you step in, keep walking along and singing your song... because it's all good."

I think Pete is a really cool cat -_- He enjoys his walk (his life?) no matter what! And his shoes are cute, too :p
Mari
I can't wait to use this book with a group of kids! It has a wide range of appeal (good for younger and older storytime groups) and has lots of opportunities for audience participation. You can sing with Pete, guess what color his shoes will turn based on what he steps in, and have the kids join in on the "goodness no!" refrain. What fun! You can even check the publisher's website to hear the story and find out how the author sings Pete's song.
Marya
Nov 14, 2010 Marya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hip Cats
Shelves: picture-books
If cool jazz wrote a children's book, this is it. Despite getting his brand new shoes in a variety of stain situations that would challenge a Tide commercial, Pete the Cat keeps "walking along and singing his song, because it's all good".
One reviewer felt that this book does not teach children appropriate problem solving skills. I disagree. I think chilling out is certainly something I want my child to learn. So your sippy cup doesn't get instantaneously refilled? So Mommy won't let you play wi
Aug 06, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My latest storytime discovery combines my two loves: a positive attitude and, well, shoes. Pretty genius!

Meet this happy go-lucky cat out for a stroll in his brand new white shoes when he happens to step in a huge pile of strawberries! "What color did it turn his shoes?"

Shoe transformation occurs three more times with varying slants (and oddly enough, another mountain of fruit) but each time, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness, no! He kept walking along and singing his song."

Pete's song, "I love my _____
midnightfaerie
Feb 04, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Pete the Cat books rock. Didn't know anything about them, until I saw a Pete the Cat class at my local library for my K-5 grade and signed him up. Then I checked out some of the books, to see if he'd like them. Not only did he love them, but my 2 yr old twins do as well. He's laid back, cool, and groovy with beautiful and colorful illustration. All three of my kids love finding the yellow bird that follows him around on every page. (Makes me think of my Richard Scary books I had as a kid where I ...more
Tyler Jones
May 01, 2012 Tyler Jones rated it really liked it
Erma Talamante
Jan 19, 2016 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Full review pending...

Read at Barnes & Nobles' storytime...

Pete is a funky little cat with a cool, laid-back attitude. Nothing gets to him as he keeps on singing!
paula
Think of the blue dog - those stupid paintings from the Clinton era, which I think that guy is still doing - and then make them cool, not creepy, and of a self-assured cat rather than a freaked-out dog, and you have a starting point for visualizing the powder-coated apehanger-handlebar simple authentic genius of Pete The Cat.

DO I HYPERBOLIZE? NO I DO NOT.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Erica
May 24, 2011 Erica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has a preschool-age child, storytime librarians
Recommended to Erica by: various librarians
What an absolutely fun book! I'd read it once before then I tried it out on a friend's 3 1/2-year-old this weekend and he loved it! We sang Pete's song and he was grooving to the beat. He loved telling us what color Pete's shoes were going to be next.

In three days between me, my husband and the kid's parents this book was read a total of about 9 times with 3 of those times being me.

Definitely a keeper!
Kandice
Apr 28, 2014 Kandice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mackers, easy-reading
A cute story about Pete the Cat who enjoys walking in his brand new white shoes. Unfortunately, they don't remain white as Pete keeps stepping into piles of fruit and puddles. But does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walking along and singing his song.

The Pete the Cat series is one of Mackers' favourites.
Irina
Feb 08, 2016 Irina rated it it was amazing
This is a great book when teaching about colors. This is also good to read when kids are feeling down about things that are going wrong. This book is a great pick-me-up to let you know that there is always a silver lining. Pete did not let anything get him down.
Carrie
Apr 29, 2016 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend :)
Kate
Mar 25, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Children will love this rhyming, Raffi-esque song-in-a-book. Particularly good for the younger set, who love repetition and audience participation, the only downside to this song is that everyone will be left singing, "I love my red shoes... I love my red shoes" for days! Great message, too.
Megan Bernhard
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes is a story about Pete the Cat and his brand new white shoes. Along his walk Pete steps in strawberries, blueberries, and mud turning his new shoes different colors. Pete didn't let this stop him, he kept walking along until he stepped in a bucket of water and his shoes were white again. This story teaches the reader to not let anything hold you back and just keep walking. The text and illustrations go very well together in this story. The illustrations can aid ...more
Chiix Moses
Jun 18, 2013 Chiix Moses rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
MY REVIEW
Since I first heard the story of Pete the Cat and his white shoes I have absolutely adored it. Without missing a beat, Pete the Cat teaches young children that no matter what happens, they just have to keep going. I can not imagine a better book to teach children about resilience than this one. Not only is this book filled with wonderful images, untouchable rhythm, and a wonderful message, it's also just a fun read! I think that, as teachers, we often can look too deep into stories and
Selma D
Sep 29, 2013 Selma D rated it it was amazing
Pete the cat: I love my white shoes by Eric Litwin and Illustrated by James Dean
Published: 2008
Age range: 3- 6

Brief Synopsis:
Pete the cat is a vey cool, chilled out cat. He loves life and loves his shoes, even after they change colour after stepping in strawberries, Blueberries and Mud. This is a short picture, story book with a simple yet positive message; which is to see the benefits even from something that can be seen as negative because: “it’s all good”.

My Opinion:
This is a great ex
babyhippoface
Do not be fooled by the simplicity of this little picture book. As with Mo Willems' Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, there is more here than meets the eye; there is genius in the pages.

Pete the Cat loves his new white shoes soooooo much that he sings a song about them: "I love my white shoes, I love my white shoes.... When he steps in a pile of strawberries that turn his white shoes red, does Pete cry? Goodness, no! He just keeps walkin' along, singin' his song: "I love my red shoes, I lov
Ellary
Mar 26, 2014 Ellary rated it it was amazing
Some novels bring you to tears. Others make you laugh out loud. This particular story makes you dance, dance, dance. It's hard to tell if it's Pete's glass-is-half-full outlook on life or Mama's rendition of "I Love My White Shoes" to the tune of "La Cucaracha", but Pete's amusingly messy journey with his once-white shoes is a heartwarming story not to be missed (and one, I fear, is somewhat indicative of the fate which awaits a sneaker or two in my own future).
June
Jan 26, 2016 June rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Color, cat requests
Recommended to June by: Erin and Polly
Shelves: picture-book, colors, cat
I used this at my PJ Story time tonight, with some trepidation, after high recommendations from Erin & Polly. I don't know that it was the huge success that theirs was, (I can't carry a tune) however, children from toddler to 7 or so enjoyed it. I also play the colors song and use colored flannel board pieces after the book.

I'll probably use it for color story times too. 8/7/12

Used it for a Color PJ Story time tonight and all the kids joined in and a parent checked out the book and another P
Maria
Apr 29, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Pete the cat "I love my white shoes" is such a phenomenal book for toddler aged children. I have read this book a million times to my son and he cannot get enough. He actually learned the color brown because of this book. There is a point in the book where Pete the cat gets his shoes full of mud and it asks, "what color did it turn his shoes?" My son always is the first to jump and say,"Brown!" This book works well for toddlers in learning their colors but can also be taken to older preschooler ...more
Michelle Smith
This is definitely a favorite for myself and all of my teacher friends! Children of all ages love this one also. Color practice for young children ages 3-6. For the older children it's a great way to teach them to be happy no matter what! This book always turns into a song and everyone sings along!
Amy
Mar 20, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
My niece just grooves on this Pete the Cat book. She likes the song Pete sings, and she likes the repetition of the phrases in the story. It's a great book for young pre-school to early elementary aged kids. At nine years old my niece is probably a little older than this book's target audience, but whatever--she likes it.

My nephew and I had a much more difficult time enjoying this story, though, because my niece has heard the audiobook version, and she was bent on making sure that our reading du
Kiera Turner
Jun 30, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: imagination, funny
Eric Litwin is a absolutely genius for writing the Pete the Cat series! Every child from the ages 3-7 love these books! This Pete the Cat is one of my favorites because I love books with songs and I love shoes! This book would be a great way to introduce colors in an interesting way! Children love songs and after hearing this book they will love it as well!
Jessi
Jun 28, 2012 Jessi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Pete. He seems pretty chill. The illustrations weren't my favorite, but that's fine. I did have one little problem, and I feel kind of dumb complaining about it, but here it goes. Pete steps in strawberries first. We turn the page and find that his white shoes are now red. That's cool. Then we read that he stepped in blueberries. We are supposed to guess what color his shoes turned. Silly me, I kind of assumed at this point that the book was about colors and how they are made. So I was k ...more
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 03, 2014 Shakeema Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This book was so cute and the song that went along with it was neat. This book teaches children about colors and also that if something changes you can still learn to love it. You could even take it a step further and start talking about primary and secondary colors.
Natalie
Nov 15, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
This is one of my favorite books to read aloud + sing along to, but I have a little problem with Pete's ethos and everytime I read Pete the Cat, I cringe a little and want to stop and voice my concerns about what Pete is saying. The trouble lies here with the repeated call and response, "Did Pete cry?" "Goodness no."

If something bums you out, then it's alright to cry . I grew up hearing that song and truly believing that "Crying gets the sad out of you".

So kids, when some blue cat says, "It's
Luke
Jun 12, 2016 Luke rated it really liked it
Title: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Author: Eric Litwin
Illustrator: James Dean
Genre: Predictable book
Theme(s): Colors, Music
Opening line/sentence:
Pete the Cat was walking down the street in his brand – new white shoes. Pete Loved his white shoes so much, he sang this song:

Brief Book Summary:
Pete the Cat has a new pair of white shoes that he loves wearing so much that he sings a song. As Pete walks down the street though, he walks through different items that change the color of his shoes
Jackie
Feb 06, 2016 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
We read this book numerous times in a preschool. The book came with a CD. The children loved this book and the silly songs on the CD. The book resonated with us as Pete the Cat shows how he loves his white shoes even when he keeps stepping into different items turning his shoes different colors. He didn't cry and kept singing his song. Our transaction with the text was the most powerful when the story kept returning to scenes showing Pete the Cat stepping into different things therefore turning ...more
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • It's a Tiger!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Grumpy Bird
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Z Is for Moose
Eric Litwin (Mr. Eric) is a guitar strumming, book writing, harmonica blowing, song singing, folksy, fun type of guy. He is the # 1 New York Times Best Selling author of the first four Pete the Cat picture books and the author of the new musical series The Nuts. Eric's books have sold over 1.5 million copies, been translated into seven languages and won 15 state and national awards including a The ...more
More about Eric Litwin...

Pete the Cat (4 books)