Start by marking “The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)

The Shadow Project (Ben Hope #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,394 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Only one man can foil a plot set to change the course of history! The latest heart-stopping novel from the rising star of the conspiracy thriller genre. Ex-SAS soldier Ben Hope is enjoying life at Le Val, the facility in Northern France where he trains others in the dangerous art of hostage rescue, until a chance incident forces him to take on the role of bodyguard to the ...more
Published January 21st 2010 by Avon (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Project

Julia
Ben Hope is an ex-SAS hero who now runs courses in personal security. He takes a short assignment to provide protection for Maximilian Steiner, a Swiss billionaire who has been the subject of kidnap attempts. Hope realizes that the kidnappers are trying to get hold of some secret Nazi documents that Steiner possesses. As he starts to investigate, he discovers that there is a plot to resurrect a mysterious technology that was first developed under the Nazis. The group have been targeting and elim ...more
Susan Freeman
Loved the story in this book, really enjoy the character of Ben Hope,look forward to reading follow on.
J.F. Penn
Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/the-shadow-...

I found my first Scott Mariani book in a secondhand bookstore and have gone on to devour several of these books in a row. They feature Ben Hope, ex SAS security consultant who gets involved in various adventures. He is a kind of Jack Reacher character but more into his relationships, not so much of a loner. Jeff Decker helps Ben run Le Val, a tactical training unit in France and Brooke Marcel is the love interest, on and off across
Robin Carter
Another great Ben Hope book from Scott Mariani, each one i read seems to improve on the last, the plots become more complex, the characters grow and take on more life, the pace of the books is such that the reader is sucked into the book and you literaly lose time, i have been late back from lunch and suprised to find its 2am and had to put the book down as i have work in the morning.
As far as thrillers go, these are a great read, and well reccomended.

(Parm)

Product Description
Only one man can fo
Andy
A good read as long as you don't kid yourself you're reading fine literature. If you've read the previous novels you already know the format and this is more of the same with the added interest that he's now a personal security consultant running his own firm. Good 'boys' own adventure stuff for sitting by the pool. Hero survives impossible odds cos he's just better than anyone else.
Tom Tischler
Ex SAS soldier Ben Hope is enjoying life at LaVal his facility
in Northern France where he trains people in the art of hostage
rescue. A chance incident forces him to take on the role of
bodyguard for a Swiss billionaire Maximillian Steiner. He is
the victim of a recent abduction attempt and Steiner believes
that a Neo-Nazi terror group are after some prized documents
in his possession. What seems like a straight VIP protection
job turns upside down by the appearance of a mystery woman
from Ben's p
Stephanie
This was a quick and easy read with an interesting story line. However, I found some of the dialogue passages to be stilted and awkward, just not at all how a normal conversation would flow. The other disappointment I had was with the "science" of the book. Perhaps this is just too much expectation on my part, but I want to be able to believe in what I'm reading, even if it may not be 100% true. For the invention in the book that is gathering energy, it seemed that the author just glazed over th ...more
Rox
Probably one of my favorite amongst the rest of Ben Hope series for the sole reason that I'm interested with anything related to WWII. Good work to Scott Mariani for making a relatively-unknown WWII general to some kind of a science hero with this-and-that discoveries. Furthermore, aside from being reunited with Hope's long-lost sister, it was also surprising that Hope's ever-tragic love story finally has finally ended in the name of Brooke's. Though, who knows what's in store for Brooke in Mari ...more
Peter Wilson
one word fantastic this series just continues to get better, from a slow start in book 1 to this its beginning really heat up.
Mary
This is the second Ben Hope I've read and I enjoyed it very much. There is lots of action and adventure although not a huge number of jaw dropping surprises. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster like ride. Suspend believe just a bit at the end and I think you'll enjoy it as well. My only complaint is some of the books in the series no longer seen to be in print or available electronically (my preference). Guess I'll have to start scouring the used book shops in the area as I want to re ...more
Grace
I really liked this book and it was exactly the type of thriller that I like to read. Once again the author did a good job on both the story and the characters. I haven't read a book in this series for a while and had forgotten how much I enjoyed them.
Hardik Patel
Cant put it down when the action begins, boring at first but it goes intresting at the end!
Pablo J.
Interesante propuesta del maestro de los thrillers-de-acción, Scott Mariani. Inspirada en la famosa arma nazi, die Glocke, erróneamente relacionada con una máquina del tiempo. Mariani propone, según la trama y los acontecimientos [SPOILER ALERT] que no se trata de una máquina del tiempo sino de un reactor de energía del punto cero, algo con lo que sueñan los ecologistas... o los terroristas, pues al mismo tiempo que puede salvar a la tierra, puede también destruirla. Recomendada si eres fan de l ...more
Mary
A much better constructed thriller than the previous three with some twists I didn't see coming.
Animesh Sarkar
Starts with promise but stumbles along the way.
Stephen
I love how Mariani always keeps something in reserve for the ending. Ben gets wrapped up in a multi-level job after the team leader gets hurt at his training center. Truths about his sister's disapperance finally come out and the truth about where she's been all this time is revealed. There is also some interesting theorizing about the Nazi Bell project and what happened to it. It is almost as if Mariani is weaving two stories and then whips them together with the speed and power of a cracking b ...more
James Cridland
Not a bad thriller. Lots of Amazing But Almost Impossible Things Happening At The Same Time, which is the hallmark of a thriller. Some nice characters, and an interesting da-Vinci-code-like bit of stuff about the Nazis, and particlar Hans Kammler (don't worry, this isn't a spoiler) who it's interesting to read about on Wikipedia, for example. Some nice and clever bits: if you're looking for another non-taxing Dan Brown book, you can't go far wrong with this one.
Dora Okeyo
My first book by Scott Mariani and I enjoyed reading it- the action is something compelling and the Science made me ask a lot of questions and inspired me to look into the Nazi regime and learn what I could about it.
I liked: Brooke-as the Psychologist who is in love with Ben- she does have this stability to her that makes you wonder just how good their relationship would be.
It's a good story-keeps you turning pages and I liked it.
Alison
Another page turner from Scott Mariani, this time throwing Ben Hope into a world of Nazi science. Interesting to find out about Ben's history as he encounters someone from his past. Of course there has to be the usual love interest but it's right at the end so doesn't interfere with the action too much - and maybe this one won't die! Really enjoying this series of books, and will be downloading number six very soon.
Barb
A good story with plenty of suspense and twists and turns in the plot. A little heavy on the armoury and action sequences for my taste but I enjoyed the dovetailing of the separate strands of the tale. I thought fleshing out of the characters was well and cleverly done. There was a little bit of pleasant fantasy in the 'ever after' but I am not complaining.
It was an enjoyable holiday read.
Vickie
An amazing book that stands above it's predecessors. The plot and the twists it contains are amazing and in one case, although the 'twist' is something you're expecting, you desperately want to be proven wrong and the confirmation of your suspicions actually makes your stomach twist as the implications hit you right between the eyes. Uncompromising and unsettling, a brilliant read
David Stimpson
love these books
Not too shabby. I really enjoy novels in this genre (adventure/action/thrillers with a bit of actual truth to them), though I have read better than this. It was a pretty easy read, had good characters and good attention to detail. All in all, it was fine, though nothing especially amazing.
Don
Wow. I was not aware that there were more novels that featured the main character Ben Hope as this was the first time of my stumbling across any book penned by Mr. Mariani.

So far the story is keeping me quite interested which is in itself a solid sign of a good book.

Was a decent novel.
Alan Dapre
Good load of action codswallop, still well worth a read. Ben Hope is the thinking man's Rambo. I have read six books in the series and they are a mixed bag. This is one of the better ones but all are good for filling up a dreary Sunday afternoon. He does action scenes rather well.
Emanuele
Not bad at all, as easy reading Ben hope novels go. The previous installment was bad, but this one hooked me and kept me reading until I finished it in two days.
Don't expect anything more than engaging entertainment and you will be more than satisfied
Will
Not bad if you like that sort of thing. Pretty 2D characters and it reads like an action movie - implausible vehicle explosions caused by gunfire, impossible coincidences etc. A good read, though, all the same, as long as you don't expect too much.
Mike Saville
Quote enjoyed this. . . . Mariani forgoes long descriptive passages in favour of action - all to the good IMO. I very much liked a couple of the lead characters (Ben & Brooke) and will be looking out for future books featuring them.
Tracey Meadows
First book I've read by this author but I enjoyed it. It wad a free kindle book from amazon so decided to give it a try. Some parts seemed a bit rushed but the story came together well. Will definitely try others by him.
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • The Death Relic (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #7)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Chosen One
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • The Blood King Conspiracy (Matt Drake, #2)
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)

Ben Hope (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope #1)
  • The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2)
  • The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3)
  • The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope, #7)
  • The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope, #8)
  • The Nemesis Program (Ben Hope, #9)
  • The Forgotten Holocaust (Ben Hope, #10)
  • The Martyr's Curse (Ben Hope, Book 11)
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope #1) The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2) The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3) The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6) The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)