The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)

The Shadow Project (Ben Hope #5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,052 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Only one man can foil a plot set to change the course of history! The latest heart-stopping novel from the rising star of the conspiracy thriller genre. Ex-SAS soldier Ben Hope is enjoying life at Le Val, the facility in Northern France where he trains others in the dangerous art of hostage rescue, until a chance incident forces him to take on the role of bodyguard to the...more
Published January 21st 2010 by Avon (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Project

Susan Freeman
Loved the story in this book, really enjoy the character of Ben Hope,look forward to reading follow on.
J.F. Penn
Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/the-shadow-...

I found my first Scott Mariani book in a secondhand bookstore and have gone on to devour several of these books in a row. They feature Ben Hope, ex SAS security consultant who gets involved in various adventures. He is a kind of Jack Reacher character but more into his relationships, not so much of a loner. Jeff Decker helps Ben run Le Val, a tactical training unit in France and Brooke Marcel is the love interest, on and off across...more
Robin Carter
Another great Ben Hope book from Scott Mariani, each one i read seems to improve on the last, the plots become more complex, the characters grow and take on more life, the pace of the books is such that the reader is sucked into the book and you literaly lose time, i have been late back from lunch and suprised to find its 2am and had to put the book down as i have work in the morning.
As far as thrillers go, these are a great read, and well reccomended.

(Parm)

Product Description
Only one man can fo...more
Tom Tischler
Ex SAS soldier Ben Hope is enjoying life at LaVal his facility
in Northern France where he trains people in the art of hostage
rescue. A chance incident forces him to take on the role of
bodyguard for a Swiss billionaire Maximillian Steiner. He is
the victim of a recent abduction attempt and Steiner believes
that a Neo-Nazi terror group are after some prized documents
in his possession. What seems like a straight VIP protection
job turns upside down by the appearance of a mystery woman
from Ben's p...more
Stephanie
This was a quick and easy read with an interesting story line. However, I found some of the dialogue passages to be stilted and awkward, just not at all how a normal conversation would flow. The other disappointment I had was with the "science" of the book. Perhaps this is just too much expectation on my part, but I want to be able to believe in what I'm reading, even if it may not be 100% true. For the invention in the book that is gathering energy, it seemed that the author just glazed over th...more
Rox
Probably one of my favorite amongst the rest of Ben Hope series for the sole reason that I'm interested with anything related to WWII. Good work to Scott Mariani for making a relatively-unknown WWII general to some kind of a science hero with this-and-that discoveries. Furthermore, aside from being reunited with Hope's long-lost sister, it was also surprising that Hope's ever-tragic love story finally has finally ended in the name of Brooke's. Though, who knows what's in store for Brooke in Mari...more
Peter Wilson
one word fantastic this series just continues to get better, from a slow start in book 1 to this its beginning really heat up.
Mary
This is the second Ben Hope I've read and I enjoyed it very much. There is lots of action and adventure although not a huge number of jaw dropping surprises. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster like ride. Suspend believe just a bit at the end and I think you'll enjoy it as well. My only complaint is some of the books in the series no longer seen to be in print or available electronically (my preference). Guess I'll have to start scouring the used book shops in the area as I want to re...more
Hardik Patel
Cant put it down when the action begins, boring at first but it goes intresting at the end!
Animesh Sarkar
Starts with promise but stumbles along the way.
James Cridland
Not a bad thriller. Lots of Amazing But Almost Impossible Things Happening At The Same Time, which is the hallmark of a thriller. Some nice characters, and an interesting da-Vinci-code-like bit of stuff about the Nazis, and particlar Hans Kammler (don't worry, this isn't a spoiler) who it's interesting to read about on Wikipedia, for example. Some nice and clever bits: if you're looking for another non-taxing Dan Brown book, you can't go far wrong with this one.
Dora Okeyo
My first book by Scott Mariani and I enjoyed reading it- the action is something compelling and the Science made me ask a lot of questions and inspired me to look into the Nazi regime and learn what I could about it.
I liked: Brooke-as the Psychologist who is in love with Ben- she does have this stability to her that makes you wonder just how good their relationship would be.
It's a good story-keeps you turning pages and I liked it.
Alison
Another page turner from Scott Mariani, this time throwing Ben Hope into a world of Nazi science. Interesting to find out about Ben's history as he encounters someone from his past. Of course there has to be the usual love interest but it's right at the end so doesn't interfere with the action too much - and maybe this one won't die! Really enjoying this series of books, and will be downloading number six very soon.
Barb
A good story with plenty of suspense and twists and turns in the plot. A little heavy on the armoury and action sequences for my taste but I enjoyed the dovetailing of the separate strands of the tale. I thought fleshing out of the characters was well and cleverly done. There was a little bit of pleasant fantasy in the 'ever after' but I am not complaining.
It was an enjoyable holiday read.
Vickie
An amazing book that stands above it's predecessors. The plot and the twists it contains are amazing and in one case, although the 'twist' is something you're expecting, you desperately want to be proven wrong and the confirmation of your suspicions actually makes your stomach twist as the implications hit you right between the eyes. Uncompromising and unsettling, a brilliant read
David Stimpson
love these books
Not too shabby. I really enjoy novels in this genre (adventure/action/thrillers with a bit of actual truth to them), though I have read better than this. It was a pretty easy read, had good characters and good attention to detail. All in all, it was fine, though nothing especially amazing.
Don
Wow. I was not aware that there were more novels that featured the main character Ben Hope as this was the first time of my stumbling across any book penned by Mr. Mariani.

So far the story is keeping me quite interested which is in itself a solid sign of a good book.

Was a decent novel.
Alan Dapre
Good load of action codswallop, still well worth a read. Ben Hope is the thinking man's Rambo. I have read six books in the series and they are a mixed bag. This is one of the better ones but all are good for filling up a dreary Sunday afternoon. He does action scenes rather well.
Emanuele
Not bad at all, as easy reading Ben hope novels go. The previous installment was bad, but this one hooked me and kept me reading until I finished it in two days.
Don't expect anything more than engaging entertainment and you will be more than satisfied
Will
Not bad if you like that sort of thing. Pretty 2D characters and it reads like an action movie - implausible vehicle explosions caused by gunfire, impossible coincidences etc. A good read, though, all the same, as long as you don't expect too much.
Mike Saville
Quote enjoyed this. . . . Mariani forgoes long descriptive passages in favour of action - all to the good IMO. I very much liked a couple of the lead characters (Ben & Brooke) and will be looking out for future books featuring them.
Tracey Meadows
First book I've read by this author but I enjoyed it. It wad a free kindle book from amazon so decided to give it a try. Some parts seemed a bit rushed but the story came together well. Will definitely try others by him.
Fan Francis
If you have nothing much to do and want to while your time.... then have a read of this book... te plot and story telling is mediocre and the pace never really pick up....
Yana Kennedy
A very pacy thriller with strong characters. I really enjoyed the twists and turns and finished it in only a few hours, just couldnt put it down.
Well worth a read
Matt Brown
A rip roaring adventure novel. Better than alchemists secret which is the only other novel I have read from this author
Nigel
Good read and really enjoyable you find out more about the main character and what makes him tick hard to put down
James
Enjoyable read with a fast moving plot line, definitely worth the read (it's free on the Kindle which is even better)
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • The Einstein Pursuit (Jonathon Payne & David Jones #8)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Chosen One
  • The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope #1) The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope #2) The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope, #3) The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6) The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope #4)