Start by marking “The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust

The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust

They hid wherever they could for as long as it took the Allies to win the war -- Jewish children, frightened, alone, often separated from their families. For months, even years, they faced the constant danger of discovery, fabricating new identities at a young age, sacrificing their childhoods to save their lives. These secret survivors have suppressed these painful memori ...more
Published March 14th 1995 by Ballantine Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Children

Marialyce
May 22, 2014 Marialyce rated it liked it
This awful time in our history has affected so many even long after this war ended. The children who were left have suffered unbelievable trials and still to this very day cope with the concepts, the things they witnessed, and the guilt of being left behind and in so many ways the loss of their identities.

Truly an awful, horrendous situation and one that should never be forgotten nor denied that it never happened. With the spate of Antisemitism recently seen in our current times, this is a relev
Laura Phelps
Mar 14, 2014 Laura Phelps rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book tells the story of 23 children who were hidden during the Holocaust, whether by posing as Christian children or by physically hiding (or both). It was incredibly interesting and enlightening.

Of course I would recommend this book to anyone. Whether you enjoy history or not, even if you won't enjoy this book, doesn't really matter. What matters is that these people's stories are heard. That being said, though, I would especially recommend this to anyone in my own generation. Being only 1
Becky
May 27, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
Every participant in this book healed through meeting other "hidden children". It reinforces the concept of sharing our pain to heal.
Ann
Mar 12, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing
Powerful, heartbreaking, informative and enlightening. I cannot, nor do I wish to, imagine what these people (children!) had to endure. I am grateful that I know now.
Lindsey
Jul 29, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a sensitive exploration of the Jewish children hidden from the Nazis. It's heart-breaking to read the recollections of people who were told their stories were unimportant because they were lucky to have survived. As children, they suffered terror, separation, grief, hunger, cold, and other untold hardships that are brought to light in this collection. Perhaps made more bright by the darkness of their past, the stories of their courage and hope as they begin their new lives after war ...more
Ruth
Aug 20, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it
This collection of mini-memoirs of children who survived the Holocaust by hiding was as gripping as you'd expect it to be. I couldn't help but put myself in the shoes of the children (or perhaps their parents) who hid, and wonder whether I would have realized that the tickets to the work camps were one way. It's interesting that all of the survivors Marks interviewed were so successful later in life. I wonder whether she selected only successful survivors, or whether, as one of the survivors mus ...more
Neetha Philip
Jun 09, 2009 Neetha Philip rated it really liked it
This book was paticularly interesting because it highlighted the fact that sometimes it takes years for people to get over a traumatic experience. We make a big "ruckus" when we hear of injustice in the news, however as soon as it goes off the news we forget about the people who have been subject to injustice, regardless of whether we wrote letters or were even actively involved in protesting. The book is a story of those who were determined to live, and provides enough food for thought to last ...more
Jane
Dec 11, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
Amazing true stories of survival during the holocaust . Children were hidden in all sorts of places underground holes, forests, wardrobes or openly living amongst non Jews sometimes not even aware of their jewish origins.
Some of these stories will stay with you forever. I was particularly moved by the children who were completely happy whilst living with their "hiding families" who's horror began after the war when they were uprooted from their familiar surroundings to be reunited with blood rel
Hayley
May 14, 2013 Hayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains some incredibly moving accounts from people who survived the Holocaust as children, although distressing in parts the accounts show some wonderful acts of kindness and demonstrate the bravery of those who were willing to help rescue Jews despite the threat to their own lives. The book really made the Holocaust seem that more real to me while I was studying Nazi Germany as part of a history GCSE and I would recommend this book to nobody who has an interest in that period.
cameron
Aug 31, 2014 cameron rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read about terrible deeds.

I don't know how much longer I can read about the Jewish children in Germany. Though, of course, it's important to remember, the impact of these stories is almost more than I can bear.

Each story here becomes so personal that it breaks my heart but at the same time makes me incredulous at what the young spirit can endure. These children are my heroes.
Julie
Mar 14, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: holocaust
I had a bit of a hard time getting into this book at first. It was not a style I typically like (brief stories) but it ended up making it's point very well. A nice take on the hidden jewish children (who you typically think of as "the lucky" ones), turns out they weren't so lucky.
Book-fan
Great, sad book !
Tommy
Jan 22, 2011 Tommy rated it liked it
very moving book - the first half is better than the second. each chapter is a different survivor's story. these stories are incredible.
Anissa
Apr 20, 2010 Anissa rated it it was ok
I actually did not finish this book. It was very hard to follow the characters and keep them straight. It was more a book of facts than a story.

Great research, just not what I had in mind.
Gerry
Oct 09, 2011 Gerry rated it really liked it
so many stories and so many heartbreaking twists and turns
Franny Adams
Feb 21, 2017 Franny Adams rated it it was amazing
This is an emotional journey. With each story told by child survivors of the Holocaust taught me the human will is strong no matter what is faced. From little babies to children of preteen age the horrors they witness and go through to survive is a roller coaster.

From the story of a boy who took part in the partisans and watch people being killed at age 9 to the babies/toddlers who were given up for safe keeping to childless families and then being kidnapped again to be moved to orphanages, fos
Ty Barnett
Mar 12, 2015 Ty Barnett rated it it was amazing
My daughter got this book for me. I have read other books about the Holocaust and this book let the reader know about children and their families that went into hiding during the Holocaust. This book has different stories of people telling their stories. They were children, who were separated from their families and raised by strangers. How they had to live in fear during it and long after the Holocaust was over. I found the book very interesting. It broke my heart reading how much these people ...more
Rochelle
Feb 21, 2015 Rochelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owne
This is a stirring book that had me crying at times. I stayed up at night into the morning to read this book. Its a book with many different children who hid in WWII that grew up to be grate adults. Most of the "children" haven't told any one about what they went threw until years later. Some of the stories that are told in the book will stay with me forever. This is a worth wild read.
Carolyn S
Feb 02, 2016 Carolyn S rated it really liked it
Showing the struggles of the effects of being hidden during the Holocaust and after. Very interesting and they were truly victims for sure.
This shows the struggles, both during and after of 25 or 30 different cases. A eye opener, but also shows how strong they are.
Mslogar
Jun 15, 2014 Mslogar rated it really liked it
amazing stories of survival!
Brigid
Stories that need to be told and remembered, just not done in an engaging manner. Perhaps I'm just too far removed from the time period, but "Unbroken" was excellent, so it may be the editing.
Kimberly
Feb 25, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
All I can say right now is WOW!!
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Ch'kimberly
Ch'kimberly rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Paola Reyes
Paola Reyes rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Rachel Commons
Rachel Commons rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Joy Newton
Joy Newton rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2017
  • Escape: Children of the Holocaust
  • The Boy: A Holocaust Story
  • Motherland: Beyond the Holocaust: A Mother-Daughter Journey to Reclaim the Past
  • Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • Triumph of Hope: From Theresienstadt and Auschwitz to Israel
  • Children in the Holocaust and World War II: Their Secret Diaries
  • The Road to Rescue: The Untold Story of Schindler's List
  • Behind the Secret Window
  • Haven: The Dramatic Story of 1,000 World War II Refugees and How They Came to America
  • Echoes from Auschwitz: Dr. Mengele's Twins: The story of Eva and Miriam Mozes
  • Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany
  • Destined to Live:  A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust