Start by marking “Murder Never Forgets” as Want to Read:
Murder Never Forgets

Murder Never Forgets (Carla Day #1)

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Suspicious events at an assisted living facility-and her father's ramblings about a dead woman on a nearby beach-lead Carla Day into a shadowy mystery, and into the deep recesses of the brilliant old man's memory.
Published December 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Never Forgets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Never Forgets

Chris
Tamara
Apr 21, 2008 Tamara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone REALLY bored
Recommended to Tamara by: Cayden
I was purusing the library shelves when Cayden grabbed this book and said "I got one for you mama!" Otherwise I wouldn't have given this a 2nd look. Now that I'm reading it I can say that it isn't too bad for a brainless quick read. Every once in awhile I just go with the flow & read whatever is put in front of me.

Okay - just finished this one. What a crummy book! Don't bother!!!! COuldn't beleive how silly th eplot line was & then end was SO SO SO predictable. That's what I get for lett
Trudy
Though at times confused and meandering, Murder Never Forgets had a few good points. O'Hehir is a wordsmith and sometimes that comes through. However, there is a lot of "filler" that does not even tie in well with the plot. The book goes on for fifteen pages after the story should wrap up, and it appears that the author is trying to set up a next book. Most readers will not care.

Sheriff Hawthorne, sums things up nicely on page 279: "Lotta stupid stuff going on around here."
Terry
First in O'Hehir's series about 20-something Carla Day and her retired professor Egyptologist father--who also has Alzheimer's. I can't decide if I read because of the wonderful interactions between the caregiver daughter and her dad, or for the mystery. This one is set at the assisted living home, somewhere near Santa Cruz or points north--very enjoyable for the characters. Aaron Elkins blurbs for her if you need a point of comparison.
Bonnie Archuleta
It was slow - I laid it down and finished two other books since I started it. I finally gave up on it around page 185. I just could not make myself read anymore
Leslie
Nov 20, 2008 Leslie added it
Don't even bother. I read about 60 pages at the beginning, couldn't even manage to read as many pages as my age, Judy, then read the last 20 pages or so. No improvement. None. 0 stars. The plot involves an Egyptologist who has Alzheimer's and is in a retirement home where bad things are happening. His daughter can't decipher whether what he says happens really did or is part of his illness.
Sharron
Clever, cute, and appealing main character, Carla Day, reminds me of a young Kinsey Millhone. The writing was clear, direct, and moved the pleasantly-complex plot along smoothly. I'm eager to read more in this series (which began in 2005) and hope O'Hehir will continue writing about Carla Day.
Debra
Dealing with a father living in a nursing home because of alzheimer's disease doesn't sound like an invitation to murder -- but it is here. A fascinating investigation where even the murder is up for question because the witness's mind is not reliable.

Julie
Just enough of a different twist that I'll try the next in the series. Maybe the subject is close to my heart since the story was centered around a retirement village. I would have liked it better without all the Egyptology references, however.
International Cat Lady
This is definitely a 'sweeter' kind of story than I typically read, but it was funny and had a good twist - and I enjoyed reading it. Sadly, I was hoping for there to be more of an Ancient Egypt influence, but alas.
Shirley
This author new to me and when I saw that most of the action took place in a nursing home, I wasn't sure this was for me, but, actually, it was superb, and unusually, I didn't figure out the killer.
Lynn H
Lynn H added it
May 07, 2015
Theodora
Theodora marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Corris
Corris added it
Oct 03, 2014
Occ
Occ added it
Aug 29, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Mavis
Mavis marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
320606
Diana Farnham O'Hehir is a poet and writer of prose from northern California. She was born in Berkeley in 1929. She taught from 1961 to 1992 at Mills College in Oakland where she is Aurelia Henry Reinhardt Professor Emerita of American Literature. She lives in San Francisco with her husband, writer Mel Fiske.

Series:
* Carla Day
More about Diana O'Hehir...

Carla Day (3 books)
  • Erased from Memory
  • Dark Aura
Erased from Memory I Wish This War Were Over Dark Aura Summoned The Bride Who Ran Away