Start by marking “Yoga for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Yoga for Dummies

Yoga for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  426 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
'Yoga for Dummies' explains yoga's many health benefits, including increased flexibility, lower heart rate and blood pressure, weight loss, and more, as it guides you step-by-step into the physical practice and philosophy of this ancient Indian discipline.
Published April 5th 2010 by For Dummies (first published March 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Dummies

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This remains my very favorite basic yoga book for my home practice. It has the best step-by-step directions for each pose, as well as modifications. It has photos of people in the poses, which I find much more useful than the drawings found in other books.
The book also gives a good overview of the whole yoga lifestyle, and includes sections on creating your own practice using proper sequencing.
I especially appreciate their emphasis on being gentle with your body, and not pushing it beyond comf
Amberle
Jan 29, 2009 Amberle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I recommend this for anyone interested in the theoretical (not read: scientific) basis for Yoga. There are concise explanations of the historical, spiritual and physical aspects of yoga, as well as possible long term benefits. It gave me the information to understand other people's beliefs and to integrate the yoga lifestyle into my non-belief.

P.S. the Explanations of the various breathing Exercises and Asanas are Ace!
Michelle
Oct 19, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This had a good structure for how to build your own yoga practice, though a somewhat limited amount of poses to choose from, which I suppose is appropriate for a book like this.
I enjoyed the parts of the book that discussed yoga as a lifestyle and the history and non-physical aspects of it.
Tanya
Aug 04, 2011 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very helpful yoga book. Simple workouts, step by step instructions and some basics for other aspects of yoga. I will be using it frequently.
Jenn
Oct 28, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy read that gives a little info on a lot of yoga topics. Great for a beginner and a refresher for regular practitioners. A great starting point to delve into the world of yoga.
Francine
Jan 04, 2016 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book at least 3 times; straight through and in bits and pieces.

It is a very useful guide for both novice and experienced practitioners.

Highly Recommended.
Charlotte
Jul 06, 2010 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book was exactly what I went looking for...a way to learn more about the origins of yoga, and what different yoga disciplines there are. There are a lot of great tips in here, especially for beginners. (Apparently, I jumped right into the "deep end" of yoga, but was able to "swim" anyway!)

One thing this book emphasizes is that yoga can be for anyone...you don't have to be a human pretzel to enjoy the physical, mental, and spiritual benefits of yoga. Yoga is a journey, and no matter where y
Patrik
Oct 18, 2014 Patrik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It's really rare to find a yoga handbook that has the right balance of theory and practise. This book is one of them.
Peggy
Yoga for Dummies is a solid introduction to Yoga. The book presents its information in a clear and understandable manner. Each posture presented in the book is explained in numbered steps, and includes a photograph as illustration, making it a great reference. The book also goes over how to sequence postures to personalize your own Yoga program. I found the book to be very helpful in introducing me to specialized language associated with Yoga. It helped me get an idea of how Yoga helps people in ...more
Adam Dalton
Jan 19, 2016 Adam Dalton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very quick read. Only took me 1 hour! Woohoo. Another one bites the dust.
Luca Conti
Sep 28, 2014 Luca Conti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastico libro! Da domani lo metto in pratica
Julia
A good beginners book, that gives valuable pointers and shows there are many facets from "lets do some stretches" to the whole philosophy, and gives tips on how to continue to grow in your practice. The illustrations are helpful, as is the humerous tone. Good for the beginner, but also for anyone who wants to revise and tighten their practice and read up on this way of life.
cuifen
Jul 13, 2013 cuifen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A good basic read for complete yoga novices. I think I would recommend this over The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga simply because it uses photos instead of illustrations, and has a section on the use of props - something I'm looking to learn a bit more about.
Felecia Parker
Aug 14, 2008 Felecia Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-nutrition
Very clear explanation of the different types of yoga. Was a great companion to my beginning Hatha yoga class. Really helpful in developing an at home program that was simple enough in detail and verbiage to actually get it right.
Jamie
May 20, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/5 stars. But that was only because I own the Kindle version which has no pictures.

Overall this is a useful book. I would give it a higher rating if it had pictures for helping with the positions.
Steven
May 24, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
I liked it and it was very informative for a complete beginner. If you have experience with classes or the "lifestyle" you may find it less useful.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing extraordinary--it gave me what I wanted, which was yoga 101, including history and different types of yoga and poses.
Hana Jimi
untuk yang tak mahu ikut kelas yoga tapi nak belajar,boleh la baca.siap ada nota2 untuk pembaca lebih memahami.
Todd
Apr 09, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impossible task to do this thing correctly, but they did really well. A valiant effort.
Christina
Jun 27, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential basic information written by Experts was helpful for learning about Yoga.
Ann Thackrey
May 03, 2011 Ann Thackrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book about Yoga. I learned so much! Very well done.
Kimz Zahour
Sep 08, 2007 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A very well organized reference book, as all the "For Dummies" seem to be.
Karin
Dec 31, 2010 Karin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Used during my 2010 yoga teacher training. Good reference book.
Alexandra
bare basics of yoga. ok but not the best yoga book out there.
Mindy
Sep 05, 2013 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for beginners. A nice introduction to Yoga.
Carole Martell
A simple introduction to yoga that could use updating.
Shawna
Aug 01, 2007 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good reference book for refreshing forgotten yoga poses
Chantal Mcclelland
Really thorough, learned quite a bit.
Rikke Jacobsen
Nov 02, 2011 Rikke Jacobsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent livre pour débuter le yoga...
Gissell
Good for novices. Could be better.
  • Meditation for Dummies
  • Emotional Intelligence For Dummies
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga Illustrated
  • Tarot for Dummies
  • World History for Dummies
Georg A. Feuerstein was an Indologist and, according to his associate Ken Wilber, among the foremost Westerns scholar-practitioners of yoga. After doing his postgraduate research at Durham University in England, he moved to the United States, eventually settling in Canada with his wife and sometime co-author Brenda.
More about Georg Feuerstein...

“Attitudes are enduring tendencies in your mind that show themselves in your behavior as well as your speech. Yoga encourages you to examine all your basic attitudes toward life to discover which ones are dysfunctional so that you can replace them with more appropriate ones.” 1 likes
“Boredom is a sign that you're detached from your own bodily experience and aren't living in the present moment.” 1 likes