Start by marking “Yoga for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Yoga for Dummies

Yoga for Dummies

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  30 reviews
'Yoga for Dummies' explains yoga's many health benefits, including increased flexibility, lower heart rate and blood pressure, weight loss, and more, as it guides you step-by-step into the physical practice and philosophy of this ancient Indian discipline.
Published April 5th 2010 by For Dummies (first published March 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Dummies

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This remains my very favorite basic yoga book for my home practice. It has the best step-by-step directions for each pose, as well as modifications. It has photos of people in the poses, which I find much more useful than the drawings found in other books.
The book also gives a good overview of the whole yoga lifestyle, and includes sections on creating your own practice using proper sequencing.
I especially appreciate their emphasis on being gentle with your body, and not pushing it beyond comf
Amberle
I recommend this for anyone interested in the theoretical (not read: scientific) basis for Yoga. There are concise explanations of the historical, spiritual and physical aspects of yoga, as well as possible long term benefits. It gave me the information to understand other people's beliefs and to integrate the yoga lifestyle into my non-belief.

P.S. the Explanations of the various breathing Exercises and Asanas are Ace!
Michelle
This had a good structure for how to build your own yoga practice, though a somewhat limited amount of poses to choose from, which I suppose is appropriate for a book like this.
I enjoyed the parts of the book that discussed yoga as a lifestyle and the history and non-physical aspects of it.
Tanya
A very helpful yoga book. Simple workouts, step by step instructions and some basics for other aspects of yoga. I will be using it frequently.
Jenn
An easy read that gives a little info on a lot of yoga topics. Great for a beginner and a refresher for regular practitioners. A great starting point to delve into the world of yoga.
Charlotte
This book was exactly what I went looking for...a way to learn more about the origins of yoga, and what different yoga disciplines there are. There are a lot of great tips in here, especially for beginners. (Apparently, I jumped right into the "deep end" of yoga, but was able to "swim" anyway!)

One thing this book emphasizes is that yoga can be for anyone...you don't have to be a human pretzel to enjoy the physical, mental, and spiritual benefits of yoga. Yoga is a journey, and no matter where y
Patrik
It's really rare to find a yoga handbook that has the right balance of theory and practise. This book is one of them.
Luca Conti
Fantastico libro! Da domani lo metto in pratica
Julia
A good beginners book, that gives valuable pointers and shows there are many facets from "lets do some stretches" to the whole philosophy, and gives tips on how to continue to grow in your practice. The illustrations are helpful, as is the humerous tone. Good for the beginner, but also for anyone who wants to revise and tighten their practice and read up on this way of life.
cuifen
A good basic read for complete yoga novices. I think I would recommend this over The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga simply because it uses photos instead of illustrations, and has a section on the use of props - something I'm looking to learn a bit more about.
Felecia Parker
Very clear explanation of the different types of yoga. Was a great companion to my beginning Hatha yoga class. Really helpful in developing an at home program that was simple enough in detail and verbiage to actually get it right.
Jamie
3/5 stars. But that was only because I own the Kindle version which has no pictures.

Overall this is a useful book. I would give it a higher rating if it had pictures for helping with the positions.
Steven
I liked it and it was very informative for a complete beginner. If you have experience with classes or the "lifestyle" you may find it less useful.
Rachel
Nothing extraordinary--it gave me what I wanted, which was yoga 101, including history and different types of yoga and poses.
Hana Jimi
untuk yang tak mahu ikut kelas yoga tapi nak belajar,boleh la baca.siap ada nota2 untuk pembaca lebih memahami.
Todd
An impossible task to do this thing correctly, but they did really well. A valiant effort.
Christina
Essential basic information written by Experts was helpful for learning about Yoga.
Ann Thackrey
This was an excellent book about Yoga. I learned so much! Very well done.
Kimz Zahour
A very well organized reference book, as all the "For Dummies" seem to be.
Karin
Used during my 2010 yoga teacher training. Good reference book.
Alexandra
bare basics of yoga. ok but not the best yoga book out there.
Mindy
Good book for beginners. A nice introduction to Yoga.
Carole Martell
A simple introduction to yoga that could use updating.
Shawna
good reference book for refreshing forgotten yoga poses
Chantal Mcclelland
Really thorough, learned quite a bit.
Rikke Jacobsen
Excellent livre pour débuter le yoga...
Gissell
Good for novices. Could be better.
Celes
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Blogging for Dummies
  • British History for Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Yoga Illustrated
Georg A. Feuerstein was an Indologist and, according to his associate Ken Wilber, among the foremost Westerns scholar-practitioners of yoga. After doing his postgraduate research at Durham University in England, he moved to the United States, eventually settling in Canada with his wife and sometime co-author Brenda.
More about Georg Feuerstein...
The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice Tantra: The Path of Ecstasy The Deeper Dimension of Yoga: Theory and Practice The Path Of Yoga: An Essential Guide To Its Principles And Practices The Yoga-Sutra of Patañjali: A New Translation and Commentary

“Attitudes are enduring tendencies in your mind that show themselves in your behavior as well as your speech. Yoga encourages you to examine all your basic attitudes toward life to discover which ones are dysfunctional so that you can replace them with more appropriate ones.” 0 likes
“Boredom is a sign that you're detached from your own bodily experience and aren't living in the present moment.” 0 likes