Start by marking “The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs

The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs

Sox rocks! Here comes the hottest collection of knitted socks yet, filled with 30-plus designs, a variety of techniques, tips, and playful trivia from those in the know. And it’s all in one flirtatiously fresh package.Aimed at the knitter who is super-passionate about socks, The Joy of Sox delivers on its name. With their tantalizing cables, intricate lacework, and intrigu ...more
Hardcover-spiral, 176 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Lark Books (first published 2009)

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 16, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sock knitters with at least some experience
These are some good designs in the traditional construction mode (no Cat Bordhi alternative lifestyles here). I'd suggest that the instructions might be easier to follow had one already knit socks before, but they appear to be complete. Some of the colorwork charts would be easier to read had there been more contrast between the colors used. The lace and cable charts were easy to read and big enough that I felt no temptation to enlarge them on a copier.

As to the "must-knit" factor, I saw nothing
Ginger
Jun 08, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Honestly I didn't need to buy a book of sock patterns. The book has more than 30 patterns, but I have enough free sock patterns stored on my computer to make several books (if I had the copyrights). There are so many tutorials online, I can always find good instructions and even videos if I need to learn something new. However, my daughter brought her copy of this book with her when she and her family visited last Christmas and I fell in love with it. First off, I love the spiral binding so the ...more
Kristine
Aug 04, 2010 Kristine added it
Recommends it for: Eileen Dent
Shelves: knitting, own
This is a beautiful book with a large variety of socks in it. I was excited to see Star Athena in the book because I took a class from her at Sock Summit. The book design itself is stellar, too, with multiple pictures of each sock and clear text. My favorite was the "Make-Up Socks" because of their interesting work on the back of the sock.
Wylie Kay
May 11, 2010 Wylie Kay rated it liked it
Read this entire book in one day. Good tips on sock knitting. Not sure I would ever use the patterns in it. I was sorta looking for a book that would cover 2 on one magic loop. This was not the book for that. I did, however, like the spiral binding. Makes for a easier reference book while knitting socks.

Lara
Dec 26, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is a little silly, but the socks are seriously amazing: a fun variety of challenging, but not insane patterns. These socks are just adventurous enough to keep this difficult-to-impress knitter interested. The short essays on sock knitting and yarn theory are a nice little treat, too.
VJ
Dec 15, 2009 VJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textile-arts
Contains several toe up patterns and the cutest peekaboo peds. The open toed patterns encourage painting the toenails and flossing that pedicure!

Directions are pretty clear. There seems to be a preference for fingering weight yarns, but there is a quickie pattern that uses 4 yarn on size 5 dpns that is very nice.

Excellent book that I plan to add to my library.
Anna
Dec 07, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it
So many fun patterns that I want to try in this collection!! I was hoping that I'd check it out from the library and make one or two, but I want to try so many that I have to buy my own. Oh, darn. More yarn books. ;)
Fincalian
Apr 22, 2012 Fincalian rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts-knitting
there are some nice sock patterns in here. And some good instructions (with pictures) showing some basic sock knitting techniques for both DPNs and circular needles. I also think there are toe-up and top-down sock patterns. A good reference when I tackle my first pair of socks.
Mary
May 14, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Very pretty foot wear with well written patterns. I am presently trying to make a sock. So looking at sock patterns to figure out which I want to try next.
Debbie
Dec 18, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
Love the patterns and the extra notes that are through out the books.
Missy
Aug 15, 2010 Missy rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts-and-arts
Beautiful patterns that appear to be beyond my knitting skill. I will check back with this book later. The sex/sox theme is both fun and creepy.
Janet Richards
Apr 24, 2010 Janet Richards rated it really liked it
Worth it for the title alone. But the socks are cleverly seductive.
Megan Parker
Dec 13, 2012 Megan Parker rated it liked it
This book has some fantastic patterns. However, several of them have errors and misprints.
Jennifer Shirley
Dec 29, 2016 Jennifer Shirley rated it it was amazing
Love this knitting book. If you like to knit you will enjoy the authors stories and quips about the socks she has instructions for in this book. Beautiful, lacy, comfortable socks. A must own.
Martine
Aug 21, 2010 Martine rated it liked it
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
some nice patterns
Tamara
Dec 30, 2009 Tamara added it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
I really like the socks on the cover.
Leslie Jem
Sep 09, 2013 Leslie Jem rated it really liked it
Shelves: needlecrafts, library
Great concept! I'm not to this level of interest or skill yet, though.
Yarnkettle
Dec 21, 2014 Yarnkettle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, knitting
Lovely sock patterns. The best sock knitting book my Hubby bought me. Very fun concept.
Jen Long
Nov 05, 2009 Jen Long rated it it was amazing
wishing i am a better knitter.. but will be consulting "rock a bye" pg 39 to make everyone their solstice socks this year... and the "takeout or two" on pg 36 for me!
Lindamnoble
Lindamnoble rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Helen Stanke
Helen Stanke rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2010
Danihinde
Danihinde rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Luna Martin
Luna Martin rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Amber Adkins
Amber Adkins rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2011
Gina House
Gina House rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2009
Peg Parson
Peg Parson rated it liked it
May 24, 2016