Start by marking “The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs

The Joy of Sox: 30+ must-knit designs

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Sox rocks! Here comes the hottest collection of knitted socks yet, filled with 30-plus designs, a variety of techniques, tips, and playful trivia from those in the know. And it’s all in one flirtatiously fresh package.Aimed at the knitter who is super-passionate about socks, The Joy of Sox delivers on its name. With their tantalizing cables, intricate lacework, and intrigu ...more
Spiral-bound, 176 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Lark Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Sox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Sox

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 22, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sock knitters with at least some experience
These are some good designs in the traditional construction mode (no Cat Bordhi alternative lifestyles here). I'd suggest that the instructions might be easier to follow had one already knit socks before, but they appear to be complete. Some of the colorwork charts would be easier to read had there been more contrast between the colors used. The lace and cable charts were easy to read and big enough that I felt no temptation to enlarge them on a copier.

As to the "must-knit" factor, I saw nothing
Honestly I didn't need to buy a book of sock patterns. The book has more than 30 patterns, but I have enough free sock patterns stored on my computer to make several books (if I had the copyrights). There are so many tutorials online, I can always find good instructions and even videos if I need to learn something new. However, my daughter brought her copy of this book with her when she and her family visited last Christmas and I fell in love with it. First off, I love the spiral binding so the ...more
Lovely sock patterns. The best sock knitting book my Hubby bought me. Very fun concept.
Contains several toe up patterns and the cutest peekaboo peds. The open toed patterns encourage painting the toenails and flossing that pedicure!

Directions are pretty clear. There seems to be a preference for fingering weight yarns, but there is a quickie pattern that uses 4 yarn on size 5 dpns that is very nice.

Excellent book that I plan to add to my library.
Aug 11, 2010 Kristine added it
Recommends it for: Eileen Dent
Shelves: knitting, own
This is a beautiful book with a large variety of socks in it. I was excited to see Star Athena in the book because I took a class from her at Sock Summit. The book design itself is stellar, too, with multiple pictures of each sock and clear text. My favorite was the "Make-Up Socks" because of their interesting work on the back of the sock.
Wylie Kay
Read this entire book in one day. Good tips on sock knitting. Not sure I would ever use the patterns in it. I was sorta looking for a book that would cover 2 on one magic loop. This was not the book for that. I did, however, like the spiral binding. Makes for a easier reference book while knitting socks.

there are some nice sock patterns in here. And some good instructions (with pictures) showing some basic sock knitting techniques for both DPNs and circular needles. I also think there are toe-up and top-down sock patterns. A good reference when I tackle my first pair of socks.
So many fun patterns that I want to try in this collection!! I was hoping that I'd check it out from the library and make one or two, but I want to try so many that I have to buy my own. Oh, darn. More yarn books. ;)
Jen Long
wishing i am a better knitter.. but will be consulting "rock a bye" pg 39 to make everyone their solstice socks this year... and the "takeout or two" on pg 36 for me!
Very pretty foot wear with well written patterns. I am presently trying to make a sock. So looking at sock patterns to figure out which I want to try next.
Beautiful patterns that appear to be beyond my knitting skill. I will check back with this book later. The sex/sox theme is both fun and creepy.
Megan Parker
This book has some fantastic patterns. However, several of them have errors and misprints.
Christina Potter Bieloh
This is an awesome sock book. I am thinking about knitting my way through it! :)
Leslie Jem
Great concept! I'm not to this level of interest or skill yet, though.
Love the patterns and the extra notes that are through out the books.
Janet Richards
Worth it for the title alone. But the socks are cleverly seductive.
Found some unique patterns that I want to try.
Dec 30, 2009 Tamara added it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
I really like the socks on the cover.
some nice patterns
Heather Rubel
Heather Rubel marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
mollas marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Lori added it
Oct 08, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Stacey added it
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Plush-O-Rama: Curious Creatures for Immature Adults Quilts, Baby!: 20 Cuddly Designs to Piece, Patch & Embroider Kooky Crochet: 30 Remarkably Wacky Projects Cool Crocheted Hats: 40 Contemporary Designs Crafty Ideas for the Bride on a Budget: 75 DIY Wedding Projects