Start by marking “Black Butler, Volume 02” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Volume 02

Black Butler, Volume 02 (Black Butler #2)

4.49  ·  Rating Details ·  14,249 Ratings  ·  272 Reviews
As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red...in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be "Jack the Ripper" - and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Yen Press (first published July 27th 2007)

John Egbert
AUGH! It looks so creepy and I can't resist! I may have not liked the first one that much, but in the absence of D Gray Man I am willing to give you another chance.

COME BACK D GRAY MAN! I LOVE YOU!

Erhm...(this wasn't supposed to turn into whining of no new chapters -_-)

So yeah...

---

I finished, and here are my thoughts.

1. Sebastian is really, really, REALLY creepy.

2. Yana Toboso needs to just stop it with...er...THINGS SHE DOES. Like this: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2017-2...

(Gah...erm...him
Anna
Dec 25, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
My Feelings about a book have never been more mixed.

The Text:

The Subtext:

Let me get started by saying that the upfront text in this volume was much stronger than the first. The characters are developing quite well, the new characters introduced were intriguing and very diverse, it was much more interesting, much less confusing, and just a much stronger plot over all. It was a wildly original twist on the "Jack the Ripper" case that plagued London. I loved that aspect of it, I truly did. The
Negar
Mar 28, 2015 Negar rated it liked it
آقا درسته که شما نقاش مانگایین، دستتون آزاده هر چی میخواین شخصیت خوشگل طراحی کنین و اینا، ولی جدی این انصاف نیست :| شیل یه کم خیلی خوشگله :-"یعنی خوشگل نیست، نمیدونم چه جوری بگم =))

+ داستانشم به مدد خواهر محترم اسپویل شده بود، و واقعا هیچ گونه لطف خاصی نداشت و حال گیری بسیار بزرگی بود:|
+ سه تا شخصیت فرعی بسیار به درد نخور و بی فایده داره که نمیدونم دقیقا برای چی وجود دارن :| امیدوارم هر چه زودتر یه کاری براشون پیدا کنه وگرنه خیلی ضایع میشه :|
Emily G
Dec 27, 2011 Emily G rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, books-2011
An unexpected Christmas present, and I did enjoy it, but what I'm interested in is why Ciel has made a covenant with Sebastian, and that was only hinted at.

I'm still going to give it 4 stars though, purely for Sebastian's love of cats, as I am known to react the same way in the presence of felines :-)!
Ashley Chen
Dec 30, 2012 Ashley Chen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-or-manga
Okay this is my fourth time attempting to write this review. UGH. Why does it tend to disappear on me.

Anyway, I would like to say this volume was a major improvement on the last volume. I mean it is not really fair to compare the two but sorry, I gotta.

Firstly, you know I fancy Jack the Ripper stories. My, oh my, was this one good. ;)

But I like to mention again how unnecessary the "servants screw ups" are. *sigh* I mean I understand by Yana put them in the story but gosh is it every boring? I k
Carrie
Jan 27, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
Well, I liked it and I didn't like it. Compared to volume one, the story was far more focused and just flowed much better. However, I really felt like it lacked the action of the first volume, and also there wasn't nearly as much um, butlery? Is that a word? What I'm trying to say is that the first volume charmed me with the contrast between Sebastian's polish as a butler (executing the perfect table cloth trick to save "young master" from embarrassment) and his ruthlessness as an assassin ...more
Lissete Cisneros
May 24, 2016 Lissete Cisneros rated it it was amazing
Lesley
May 16, 2010 Lesley rated it really liked it
Bookwatcher
Jun 26, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it liked it
Shelves: demons, manga
Ohhhh I liked it, but I think it's not original, and I'm giving 3 stars

I'm so tired of the use of such figure, Jack the ripper

So when the Black Butler used it too I was annoyed.

But it's a good manga, still impeccable draw and very great demon theme.

I like A LOT and LAMO when (view spoiler)... I adored also Sebastian (view spoiler)

Great manga

But for the not so original use of Jack the Ripper I'm giving less stars than I would lik
Ladiibbug
Jan 27, 2015 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
#2 Black Butler

Queen Victoria enlists 12 y/o Ciel Phantomhive to resolve the Jack the Ripper killings. Sebastian the butler of many seemingly supernatural talents is along as well.

Ciel balances his duties as head of a huge toy and candy company, as well as being head of Queen Victoria's secret agency, while dealing with being a 12 y/o, mainly interested in eating sweets and napping. Sebastian pursues the madman, and making time for young Ciel's etiquette lessons.

Fun, unique, love the details at
Sara
I love the devil of a butler. I do not love the cast of characters in this manga. If it weren't for the charismatic butler with his secretive, wicked smile and his dashing ways, I would not be continuing the series.

I found the premise of the story great - the hunt for Jack the Ripper. The execution of the story was a bit confusing and I was often distracted by other things going on in the background of the panels. At times it was a chore to get through. I hope #3 is better.
Angel Erin
Aug 04, 2015 Angel Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
I decided not to review this one separately but here is the review I did for the first one.

Maria Kaye
Jan 12, 2015 Maria Kaye rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I'm pretty sure no one cared about Madam Red, I sure as hell didn't. And omg hahaha that pervy scene with Sebby helping Ciel into the corset.
Book Walk
Dec 06, 2015 Book Walk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich liebe die Black Butler Mangas einfach :3
Grover Kathryn
Oct 12, 2016 Grover Kathryn rated it really liked it
I thought the book was well written. I like Grell's design. I also thought it was funny that ciel had to cross dress. Well done Yana Toboso
Karissa
Oct 11, 2015 Karissa rated it it was amazing
This is the second volume in the Black Butler series and it was even better than the first. There is some mystery and some humor and of course a lot more Ceil and Sebastian.

The London season is waning but a new terror is stalking the streets of London in the dark hours; the terror is only known as Jack the Ripper. Ciel Phantomhive is summoned to London by the Queen to solve the mystery behind Jack the Ripper and clean up the mess this killer has left behind. Of course Sebastian travels with him
Anna Hakopian t (-_-t)
Sep 10, 2016 Anna Hakopian t (-_-t) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, september-2016
Ciel Phantomhive is the Queen of England's guard dog. Whenever something disturbs the realm of Great Britain, Ciel is summoned by the Queen to address this matter. These issues usually involve the underworld aka the supernatural and unexplained.

Ciel is summoned to solve the case of Jack the Ripper. In yet another rendition of this notorious serial killer, all the victims are prostitutes with their uterus ripped out with surgical precision. We find out who the killer is...but what happens after?
Chels M.
Feb 29, 2012 Chels M. rated it really liked it
English:
Though I am currently watching the anime (so I already knew what it was going to happen) I did like it, a lot. This time is 4 out of 5 but I think the next manga can reach 5 easyly.

I have to say Sebastian is a bit evil in the manga, but in the anime he seems to be a better person. Well, a person... you know whay I mean ;]

Nevermind, I love everything about Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler.

Rayne, this goes for you. If youre reading this. Now that I know Ciel better, Im by his side, no matter wh
Reeva
Apr 20, 2012 Reeva rated it it was amazing
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED this second volume. It was cute, exciting and fun! Ciel looks cute as a girl ;) haha. I liked Madam Red and Grelle Sutcliff, even though they turned out to be the "Jack the ripper" Ciel and Sebastian were looking for. I was sad that Red was evil, but I loved Grelle's reaper form!! He/she was beast and hilarious (wasn't sure if it was a he or she lol) I loved how she/he was all worried about having no make up on in front of Sebastian, cracked me up. I love wh
Mar 09, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
As what happens with most anime and manga I like, I stumbled upon this on FUNimation's website. At first, I was unsure whether to watch and read it or not. In the end, I tested the first few episodes and was instantly hooked. All I can say, the manga is better than the anime. The anime goes for two seasons. The second season has a horrible plot line and is extremely perverted with more fan service. The manga is better with better quality plot. I prefer the manga. I absolutely love it and it is ...more
Nicole
Mar 27, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
This volume is interesting because you get to see more of the dynamic between Ciel and Sebastian (and how it's a little more harsh and antagonistic than I imagined). Clearly, Sebastian is servant to Ciel due to their pact, but he is not as "submissive" as appearances might imply due to the relationship of master to servant. We also get to see Ciel at work and get a sense of what exactly he does with his time as a Phantomhive...
Randee
Oct 14, 2015 Randee rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-books, manga
The continuing saga of Ciel Phantomhive and Sebastian is getting even better. I liked Volume 1 quite a bit and was hooked. Volume 2 is more intricate, having a more complicated plot that involves trying to find the identity of Jack the Ripper, Ciel dressing and acting like a girl at a ball and we learn that Sebastian loves cats and thinks of cats as the most divine creatures our world has to offer. I cannot wait to start Volume 3!!!
Kelsey Hanson
Dec 12, 2015 Kelsey Hanson rated it really liked it
This was another particularly evil cliffhanger. I did like this one better than the previous book, it seems like the actual plot is starting to get rolling. I will say that some of the scenes, particularly those featuring the imbeciles... I mean help, can come across a bit hard to read. But overall, I do think it's an interesting concept and the pacing definitely keeps you interested... and extremely frustrated at times.
Yvensong
This book was much darker than the first, with elements that could only be described as gruesome, as we follow the Butler and Ciel to White Chapel to solve the Jack the Ripper murders.

The anime series is still my favorite of the series I have seen recently, and the depth in the manga series is proving to be very satisfying.
The Banana
Jan 27, 2015 The Banana rated it it was amazing
This book was really good, it's where you first meet the Undertaker and Grell, my two favorite characters in all black butler and where you get to see that beautiful scene where Ciel puts on a corset.
Maitha
May 19, 2015 Maitha rated it really liked it
a little cheesy but better than the first volume.
Matthew Hedgecock
Sep 09, 2015 Matthew Hedgecock rated it did not like it
I gave this shit a chance but this is just PG-fetish trash.
Lou
May 25, 2016 Lou rated it did not like it
I lost interest. End of the story.
Chiara (delicate eternity)
Feb 09, 2015 Chiara (delicate eternity) rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I really don't know if I can be bothered with this series >.<
Erma Talamante
Dec 05, 2015 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it
Shelves: needs-reviewed
Review pending...
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 06
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 07
  • Godchild, Volume 03
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 12 (Ouran High School Host Club, #12)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9
  • Loveless, Volume 3
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.
More about Yana Toboso...

Black Butler (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Black Butler, Volume 01
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Volume 04
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)