Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)

Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler #2)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  11,457 ratings  ·  202 reviews
As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red...in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be "Jack the Ripper" - and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by t ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Yen Press (first published July 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Black Butler, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Butler, Vol. 2

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoKingdom Hearts, Vol. 1 by Shiro AmanoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya
List of Awesome Manga/Graphic Novels!
64th out of 358 books — 163 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFrostbite by Richelle MeadNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
My Favorite Graphic Novels
47th out of 171 books — 225 voters

More lists with this book...

John Egbert
AUGH! It looks so creepy and I can't resist! I may have not liked the first one that much, but in the absence of D Gray Man I am willing to give you another chance.

COME BACK D GRAY MAN! I LOVE YOU!

Erhm...(this wasn't supposed to turn into whining of no new chapters -_-)

So yeah...

---

I finished, and here are my thoughts.

1. Sebastian is really, really, REALLY creepy.

2. Yana Toboso needs to just stop it with...er...THINGS SHE DOES. Like this: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2017-2...

(Gah...erm...him
Carrie
Well, I liked it and I didn't like it. Compared to volume one, the story was far more focused and just flowed much better. However, I really felt like it lacked the action of the first volume, and also there wasn't nearly as much um, butlery? Is that a word? What I'm trying to say is that the first volume charmed me with the contrast between Sebastian's polish as a butler (executing the perfect table cloth trick to save "young master" from embarrassment) and his ruthlessness as an assassin (savi ...more
Anna
My Feelings about a book have never been more mixed.

The Text:

The Subtext:

Let me get started by saying that the upfront text in this volume was much stronger than the first. The characters are developing quite well, the new characters introduced were intriguing and very diverse, it was much more interesting, much less confusing, and just a much stronger plot over all. It was a wildly original twist on the "Jack the Ripper" case that plagued London. I loved that aspect of it, I truly did. The
Lesley
Ashley Chen
Okay this is my fourth time attempting to write this review. UGH. Why does it tend to disappear on me.

Anyway, I would like to say this volume was a major improvement on the last volume. I mean it is not really fair to compare the two but sorry, I gotta.

Firstly, you know I fancy Jack the Ripper stories. My, oh my, was this one good. ;)

But I like to mention again how unnecessary the "servants screw ups" are. *sigh* I mean I understand by Yana put them in the story but gosh is it every boring? I k
Negar
آقا درسته که شما نقاش مانگایین، دستتون آزاده هر چی میخواین شخصیت خوشگل طراحی کنین و اینا، ولی جدی این انصاف نیست :| شیل یه کم خیلی خوشگله :-"یعنی خوشگل نیست، نمیدونم چه جوری بگم =))

+ داستانشم به مدد خواهر محترم اسپویل شده بود، و واقعا هیچ گونه لطف خاصی نداشت و حال گیری بسیار بزرگی بود:|
+ سه تا شخصیت فرعی بسیار به درد نخور و بی فایده داره که نمیدونم دقیقا برای چی وجود دارن :| امیدوارم هر چه زودتر یه کاری براشون پیدا کنه وگرنه خیلی ضایع میشه :|
Ladiibbug
#2 Black Butler

Queen Victoria enlists 12 y/o Ciel Phantomhive to resolve the Jack the Ripper killings. Sebastian the butler of many seemingly supernatural talents is along as well.

Ciel balances his duties as head of a huge toy and candy company, as well as being head of Queen Victoria's secret agency, while dealing with being a 12 y/o, mainly interested in eating sweets and napping. Sebastian pursues the madman, and making time for young Ciel's etiquette lessons.

Fun, unique, love the details at
Sara
I love the devil of a butler. I do not love the cast of characters in this manga. If it weren't for the charismatic butler with his secretive, wicked smile and his dashing ways, I would not be continuing the series.

I found the premise of the story great - the hunt for Jack the Ripper. The execution of the story was a bit confusing and I was often distracted by other things going on in the background of the panels. At times it was a chore to get through. I hope #3 is better.
Bookwatcher
Ohhhh I liked it, but I think it's not original, and I'm giving 3 stars

I'm so tired of the use of such figure, Jack the ripper

So when the Black Butler used it too I was annoyed.

But it's a good manga, still impeccable draw and very great demon theme.

I like A LOT and LAMO when (view spoiler)... I adored also Sebastian (view spoiler)

Great manga

But for the not so original use of Jack the Ripper I'm giving less stars than I would lik
Maria Kaye
I'm pretty sure no one cared about Madam Red, I sure as hell didn't. And omg hahaha that pervy scene with Sebby helping Ciel into the corset.
Angel Erin
I decided not to review this one separately but here is the review I did for the first one.

amelia cavendish
An unexpected Christmas present, and I did enjoy it, but what I'm interested in is why Ciel has made a covenant with Sebastian, and that was only hinted at.

I'm still going to give it 4 stars though, purely for Sebastian's love of cats, as I am known to react the same way in the presence of felines :-)!
Chels M.
English:
Though I am currently watching the anime (so I already knew what it was going to happen) I did like it, a lot. This time is 4 out of 5 but I think the next manga can reach 5 easyly.

I have to say Sebastian is a bit evil in the manga, but in the anime he seems to be a better person. Well, a person... you know whay I mean ;]

Nevermind, I love everything about Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler.

Rayne, this goes for you. If youre reading this. Now that I know Ciel better, Im by his side, no matter wh
Reeva
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED this second volume. It was cute, exciting and fun! Ciel looks cute as a girl ;) haha. I liked Madam Red and Grelle Sutcliff, even though they turned out to be the "Jack the ripper" Ciel and Sebastian were looking for. I was sad that Red was evil, but I loved Grelle's reaper form!! He/she was beast and hilarious (wasn't sure if it was a he or she lol) I loved how she/he was all worried about having no make up on in front of Sebastian, cracked me up. I love wh
The Banana
This book was really good, it's where you first meet the Undertaker and Grell, my two favorite characters in all black butler and where you get to see that beautiful scene where Ciel puts on a corset.
As what happens with most anime and manga I like, I stumbled upon this on FUNimation's website. At first, I was unsure whether to watch and read it or not. In the end, I tested the first few episodes and was instantly hooked. All I can say, the manga is better than the anime. The anime goes for two seasons. The second season has a horrible plot line and is extremely perverted with more fan service. The manga is better with better quality plot. I prefer the manga. I absolutely love it and it is r ...more
Chiara (delicate eternity)
I really don't know if I can be bothered with this series >.<
Maitha
a little cheesy but better than the first volume.
Yvensong
This book was much darker than the first, with elements that could only be described as gruesome, as we follow the Butler and Ciel to White Chapel to solve the Jack the Ripper murders.

The anime series is still my favorite of the series I have seen recently, and the depth in the manga series is proving to be very satisfying.
Drine Psylook
Dans ce tome, on nous présente de nouveaux personnages: Lau et Madame Red. Je ne leur ai pas trouvé d’intérêt particulier jusqu’à ce que les rapports entre madame Red et Ciel se retrouvent un peu plus développés.
Le personnage de Sébastian m’a par moment un peu énervée sur ce coup-là, je l’ai trouvé encore et toujours bien trop parfait et cette fois, c’était vraiment à l’excès; peut-être aussi parce qu’il avait un côté trop humain et pas assez démoniaque. Je trouve toujours les rapports qu’il ent
Nicole
This volume is interesting because you get to see more of the dynamic between Ciel and Sebastian (and how it's a little more harsh and antagonistic than I imagined). Clearly, Sebastian is servant to Ciel due to their pact, but he is not as "submissive" as appearances might imply due to the relationship of master to servant. We also get to see Ciel at work and get a sense of what exactly he does with his time as a Phantomhive...
Jeffrey
Queen Victoria has asked Earl Phantomhive to look into murders in Whitechapel. With the help of his aunt, the Earl and Sebastian enter London's high society in search of a highly educated suspect with a taste for murder.

I have some issues with this volume. Not with the Earl being cross-dressed, though this perhaps plays into the larger issues about pedophilia some have expressed, but that it attributes the Jack-the-Ripper murders to something inhuman. Much like World War II, some events need to
zeab1
Black Butler Vol. 2 ist ein sehr unterhaltsamer Band mit einigen unvorhersehbaren Geschehnissen. Genau dies hat mir an diesem Band sehr gefallen. Ich erlebte einige Überraschungs- und Schreckmomente.

Mein Minuspunkt ist das Konzept um "Jack the Ripper", vielleicht bin ich aber diesbezüglich auch einfach zu traditionell veranlagt.
Versteht mich nicht falsch, ich fand die Auflösung des ganzen Falles und den Weg dorthin sehr gut gemacht, nur "Jack the Ripper" hat für mich nicht gepasst.

Die Zeichnun
Nafizha Trie
I REALLY LIKE IT OMG! I loved it so much when Ciel wore the lolita dress, cute but cool at the same time! I also loved when Ciel's fiance(ok I forgot her name) who was so funny, she was looking for the child with that pretty dress that actually Ciel, lol and when Bastian did his trick for switch attention.

At first where Red & Grelle's were caught, I was like "Oh gosh, greele do it?!" I couldn't believe that, it was so unexpected. I like Greele, he was so hilarious and flirty*?*, and I wonder
Fran
Jun 02, 2014 Fran rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fran by: Dorie Raven
This second volume brings much needed improvements in plot, character development, and artistic ability. The attention to detail regarding the clothing and living conditions is fabulous. I would have preferred the author use an original premise in her plot because most angles on Jack the Ripper are played out, but it's refreshing to envision a world in which one of the most famous female monarchs really did care about the untimely death of prostitutes.

The creator's characters are starting to dev
Moriah
The beginning of this was really funny. We see Sebastian who is trying to prepare for the day but has alot of distraction from the household staff and has to fix their mistakes.

This volume mainly has to deal with Ciel and Sebastian trying to figure out who Jack the Ripper is. We also meet Grelle who is the butler for Madam Red but he isn't the most competent butler. Ciel goes to a ball of one of the suspects. But discovers that its not who they suspected. After some more investigation, he discov
Mikaela
Lol.. Sebastian seems to be doing everything. The 3.. Finnie (gardener), Bard (chef) and Maylene (housemaid) doesn't do their job well. They just make things worse. -.- it's somewhat annoying. Hahaha! Sebastian is just freaking amazing! I'm in awe. Lol Ciel is so cute as a girl though. wahaha

Woah! So it was Grell? O_o and that's his real appearance. A Shinagami. In other words.. a death god. People in a drawing group i'm part of in Facebook usually draws him. So that's why i've seen him before
Irene
Complete, utter disappointment
There are just so many darn things wrong with this, so I'll just get straight to the cut:

BAD things:

1. The translation. Really? I mean, are you serious? I know Japanese is a difficult language that bears very few similarities to English, but COME ON. There are obvious grammatical errors scattered everywhere and the editors, translators, and everyone involved did not even bother to consult a textbook or even the internet. It bothers me. It bothers me A LOT.

"in the n
Michelle  (Crazy Cat Lady)
I felt quite sorry for Ciel's aunt...(view spoiler)

The artwork astounds once again, and Sebastian is as hawt as ever. Sometimes I thought the dialogue seemed a little weir
Becky R.
Admittedly, I struggle with manga. These were cute, interesting, and fast-paced, so I could get through them easily. I quickly learned that I could actually skip over the small inserted conversations in the mini pictures to keep with the main story. This made it easier for me to keep trying to figure out who Sebastian was and why it mattered. He is a sneaky character, and one that I'm guessing we learn more about through additional volumes. He is not human (at least I think he's not), so it's fu ...more
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 05
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 4: Carnival (D.Gray-man, #4)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9 (Vampire Knight, #9)
  • Loveless, Volume 5
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 02
  • Death Note, Vol. 6: Give-and-Take (Death Note, #6)
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.
More about Yana Toboso...

Black Butler (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)
Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1) Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3) Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4) Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6) Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)