Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 02 (Black Butler, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 02 (Black Butler, #2)

Black Butler, Vol. 02 (Black Butler #2)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  10,148 ratings  ·  174 reviews
As high society's social calendar opens up and the Season draws to a close, London is gripped by fear. Someone has taken to stalking women of the night and painting the town red...in their blood. The name on everyone's lips seems to be "Jack the Ripper" - and as a result, the name on Queen Victoria's lips is Phantomhive. Summoned to London to clean up the mess created by t ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Yen Press (first published July 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Black Butler, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Butler, Vol. 02

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerFrostbite by Richelle Mead
My Favorite Graphic Novels
45th out of 171 books — 210 voters
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaKingdom Hearts, Vol. 1 by Shiro AmanoVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki Takaya
List of Awesome Manga/Graphic Novels!
74th out of 337 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

John Egbert
AUGH! It looks so creepy and I can't resist! I may have not liked the first one that much, but in the absence of D Gray Man I am willing to give you another chance.

COME BACK D GRAY MAN! I LOVE YOU!

Erhm...(this wasn't supposed to turn into whining of no new chapters -_-)

So yeah...

---

I finished, and here are my thoughts.

1. Sebastian is really, really, REALLY creepy.

2. Yana Toboso needs to just stop it with...er...THINGS SHE DOES. Like this: http://www.mangareader.net/102-2017-2...

(Gah...erm...him
Ashley Chen
Okay this is my fourth time attempting to write this review. UGH. Why does it tend to disappear on me.

Anyway, I would like to say this volume was a major improvement on the last volume. I mean it is not really fair to compare the two but sorry, I gotta.

Firstly, you know I fancy Jack the Ripper stories. My, oh my, was this one good. ;)

But I like to mention again how unnecessary the "servants screw ups" are. *sigh* I mean I understand by Yana put them in the story but gosh is it every boring? I k
Lesley
Ladiibbug
#2 Black Butler

Queen Victoria enlists 12 y/o Ciel Phantomhive to resolve the Jack the Ripper killings. Sebastian the butler of many seemingly supernatural talents is along as well.

Ciel balances his duties as head of a huge toy and candy company, as well as being head of Queen Victoria's secret agency, while dealing with being a 12 y/o, mainly interested in eating sweets and napping. Sebastian pursues the madman, and making time for young Ciel's etiquette lessons.

Fun, unique, love the details at
Bookwatcher
Ohhhh I liked it, but I think it's not original, and I'm giving 3 stars

I'm so tired of the use of such figure, Jack the ripper

So when the Black Butler used it too I was annoyed.

But it's a good manga, still impeccable draw and very great demon theme.

I like A LOT and LAMO when (view spoiler)... I adored also Sebastian (view spoiler)

Great manga

But for the not so original use of Jack the Ripper I'm giving less stars than I would lik
As what happens with most anime and manga I like, I stumbled upon this on FUNimation's website. At first, I was unsure whether to watch and read it or not. In the end, I tested the first few episodes and was instantly hooked. All I can say, the manga is better than the anime. The anime goes for two seasons. The second season has a horrible plot line and is extremely perverted with more fan service. The manga is better with better quality plot. I prefer the manga. I absolutely love it and it is r ...more
Maria Kaye
I'm pretty sure no one cared about Madam Red, I sure as hell didn't. And omg hahaha that pervy scene with Sebby helping Ciel into the corset.
Anna
My Feelings about a book have never been more mixed.

The Text:

The Subtext:

Let me get started by saying that the upfront text in this volume was much stronger than the first. The characters are developing quite well, the new characters introduced were intriguing and very diverse, it was much more interesting, much less confusing, and just a much stronger plot over all. It was a wildly original twist on the "Jack the Ripper" case that plagued London. I loved that aspect of it, I truly did. The
amelia cavendish
An unexpected Christmas present, and I did enjoy it, but what I'm interested in is why Ciel has made a covenant with Sebastian, and that was only hinted at.

I'm still going to give it 4 stars though, purely for Sebastian's love of cats, as I am known to react the same way in the presence of felines :-)!
Michelle E.
I felt quite sorry for Ciel's aunt...(view spoiler)

The artwork astounds once again, and Sebastian is as hawt as ever. Sometimes I thought the dialogue seemed a little weir
Chels M.
English:
Though I am currently watching the anime (so I already knew what it was going to happen) I did like it, a lot. This time is 4 out of 5 but I think the next manga can reach 5 easyly.

I have to say Sebastian is a bit evil in the manga, but in the anime he seems to be a better person. Well, a person... you know whay I mean ;]

Nevermind, I love everything about Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler.

Rayne, this goes for you. If you´re reading this. Now that I know Ciel better, I´m by his side, no matter
Reeva
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVED this second volume. It was cute, exciting and fun! Ciel looks cute as a girl ;) haha. I liked Madam Red and Grelle Sutcliff, even though they turned out to be the "Jack the ripper" Ciel and Sebastian were looking for. I was sad that Red was evil, but I loved Grelle's reaper form!! He/she was beast and hilarious (wasn't sure if it was a he or she lol) I loved how she/he was all worried about having no make up on in front of Sebastian, cracked me up. I love wh
Aly the Too Tall Giraffe
As I mentioned in my short review for the previous one in this series, I love this manga! (I'm only going to put the first one in my favorites, because I don't want to put the entire series in my favorites. :D )

The mystery and tension intensifies in the next installment of Black Butler! Argghhh it is so exciting to figure out what happens! The beautiful artwork and intense storyline really help keep the reader engaged. Wow, I sound so professional.

All in all, I loved this manga. This book was re
The Banana
This book was really good, it's where you first meet the Undertaker and Grell, my two favorite characters in all black butler and where you get to see that beautiful scene where Ciel puts on a corset.
Chiara (delicate eternity)
I really don't know if I can be bothered with this series >.<
Irene
Complete, utter disappointment
There are just so many darn things wrong with this, so I'll just get straight to the cut:

BAD things:

1. The translation. Really? I mean, are you serious? I know Japanese is a difficult language that bears very few similarities to English, but COME ON. There are obvious grammatical errors scattered everywhere and the editors, translators, and everyone involved did not even bother to consult a textbook or even the internet. It bothers me. It bothers me A LOT.

"in the n
Carrie
Well, I liked it and I didn't like it. Compared to volume one, the story was far more focused and just flowed much better. However, I really felt like it lacked the action of the first volume, and also there wasn't nearly as much um, butlery? Is that a word? What I'm trying to say is that the first volume charmed me with the contrast between Sebastian's polish as a butler (executing the perfect table cloth trick to save "young master" from embarrassment) and his ruthlessness as an assassin (savi ...more
Yvensong
This book was much darker than the first, with elements that could only be described as gruesome, as we follow the Butler and Ciel to White Chapel to solve the Jack the Ripper murders.

The anime series is still my favorite of the series I have seen recently, and the depth in the manga series is proving to be very satisfying.
Drine Psylook
Dans ce tome, on nous présente de nouveaux personnages: Lau et Madame Red. Je ne leur ai pas trouvé d’intérêt particulier jusqu’à ce que les rapports entre madame Red et Ciel se retrouvent un peu plus développés.
Le personnage de Sébastian m’a par moment un peu énervée sur ce coup-là, je l’ai trouvé encore et toujours bien trop parfait et cette fois, c’était vraiment à l’excès; peut-être aussi parce qu’il avait un côté trop humain et pas assez démoniaque. Je trouve toujours les rapports qu’il ent
Fran
Jun 02, 2014 Fran rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fran by: Dorie Raven
This second volume brings much needed improvements in plot, character development, and artistic ability. The attention to detail regarding the clothing and living conditions is fabulous. I would have preferred the author use an original premise in her plot because most angles on Jack the Ripper are played out, but it's refreshing to envision a world in which one of the most famous female monarchs really did care about the untimely death of prostitutes.

The creator's characters are starting to dev
Kathryn
OOOOOH A re-spin on Jack the ripper! I am particularly interested in England's more gruesome history so seeing Jack the ripper interpreted into this was a real treat.

It's pretty early days but what I am enjoying most about this manga is that even though it's a gothic manga with a lot of serious and sinister moments in it, most of those moments are broken by something funny happening like Ciel being forced to wear a dress or Mey rin, finny and baldo fucking everything up.

I also felt as though the
Becky R.
Admittedly, I struggle with manga. These were cute, interesting, and fast-paced, so I could get through them easily. I quickly learned that I could actually skip over the small inserted conversations in the mini pictures to keep with the main story. This made it easier for me to keep trying to figure out who Sebastian was and why it mattered. He is a sneaky character, and one that I'm guessing we learn more about through additional volumes. He is not human (at least I think he's not), so it's fu ...more
MissAnnThrope
16 January 2013

I find Jack the Ripper to be one of the most fascinating serial killers of all time. I get very excited when his history is adapted in various other mediums, but because of this excitement my expectations can often be too high. For me, the plot in Black Butler, Vol. 2 wasn't as thrilling as a Jack the Ripper themed story deserves to be.

Although I felt the storyline fell a bit flat in this volume, there were many things I did enjoy. For instance, Sebastian's love for cats! It doesn
Jocelynn Te
Oct 18, 2013 Jocelynn Te rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who love manga. Anyone who has watched the Anime but not read the manga.
Recommended to Jocelynn by: Laura
Black Butler Volume 2 continues the story of Ciel Phantomhive and his butler Sebastian Michaelis. In this volume Ciel receives an order from the Queen herself to stop the killing of prostitutes by Jack the Ripper, and as the Queen's Guard Dog it is his duty to obey. In the investigations Ciel must go undercover several times in order to not bring suspicion upon himself, this includes dressing as a high society young lady. However, not all is as it seems when it comes to the identity of Jack the ...more
Yuki
Sep 25, 2013 Yuki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Actual stars: 13
Sebas-chan works so much every day, I could never do that. I love how he's thinking such bad thoughts about the useless servants. Sebas-chan loves nekos, how kawaii! I like Madam Red and Lau-she's lucky she gets to touch Sebas-chan's butt. Jack the Ripper scared me until I read Black Butler. I really love Unny! I even made the dog-bone cookies he even eats and they taste delicious with an extra heaping of love :). He's so pretty and creepy and eventually you get to see his gorge
S. J.
Sep 27, 2013 S. J. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage boys and girls, people interested in manga, fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: Anime; Series
Review of Vol 1

The first minor story is another happenings around the manor look. The best part about this story is Sebastian's monologue concerning the beauty of a cat and how pets in hell look more like the creature from the Alien movie. LOVE.

The next story is a long arc that is also covered in the anime. The story actually continues over into the next volume, though most of it takes place in this one. We meet some interesting new characters such as Madame Red (Ciel's maternal aunt), her butl
Rena
I'll be honest. I'm really reading this as an emotional release from other series. I am focused on Ciel as a character and have very little interest in any of the other characters. I just need something where I'm not attached to the characters. That is what this series is doing for me.

Though I do find the story a little intriguing. And it really does have those moments where I can't help but laugh even when I probably shouldn't be laughing...
Rena McGee
The first chapter mainly involves Sebastian’s various adventures fixing the problems created by the servants. As much as he is exasperated by them, they seem to be there to make the results of his endeavors seem even more exceptional. (Incidentally, we learn that Bardroy has a fixation on guns, and that Finnie is as strong as he is inept at gardening.) In this case, Sebastian attempts to make a giant chocolate statue while the servants create disasters all around him. At the end of the day, the ...more
Kalilah
This is the kind of book you would want to read on a lazy, sunny day.
The plot isn't very thick and not much happens besides small mysteries and household disasters. However, the art is really good (very pretty details) which you can just look at and appreciate for hours.

I like how the author has incorporated lots of real historical events/mysteries into the story. It's a nice touch. After all, the entire thing is based in Victorian England so it's only right that the main character, Ciel Phantom
Kaitlin
All I'm going to say is that I really, really have to get my mind out of the gutter when reading this. BUT YANA TOBOSO MAKES IT SO DAMN DIFFICULT...SHE DOES IT ON PURPOSE.

LOOK AT THIS... LOOK AT IT!
fyi, it reads R to L
And what's even worse? The online translation cleans up the language a bit too. In the version I have, the last two panels are different. Sebastian says, "...You will find your body becoming accustomed to it soon." and Ciel replies, "Ah, I'm coming..."

THIS SCENE HAD NO PURPOSE bu
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 03
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 4: Carnival (D.Gray-man, #4)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 12 (Ouran High School Host Club, #12)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 2
  • Godchild, #5
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers, Vol. 2 (Hetalia: Axis Powers, #2)
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.
More about Yana Toboso...

Black Butler (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 01 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 04 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 9 (Black Butler, #9)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)
Black Butler, Vol. 01 (Black Butler, #1) Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3) Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6) Black Butler, Vol. 04 (Black Butler, #4) Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)