Start by marking “Nurse Matilda” as Want to Read:
Nurse Matilda

Nurse Matilda (Nurse Matilda #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  426 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Nurse Matilda Collected in this omnibus volume are three original Nurse Matilda tales--the inspiration for "Nanny McPhee," starring Emma Thompson (who wrote the screenplay) and Colin Firth, set for release by Working Title/Universal Pictures in March. A governess uses magic to reign in the seven ne'er-do-well children in her charge. Illustrations. Full description
Published November 7th 2005 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Nurse Matilda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nurse Matilda

The Unfriendly Dragon by Brae WyckoffCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Kids Books Ever
229th out of 773 books — 645 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
218th out of 472 books — 352 voters

More lists with this book...

Ivan
May 12, 2015 Ivan rated it it was ok
Didn't love it. This was one of those books that comes to mind when I think of Shaw's quote: "Never give a child a book you wouldn't read yourself." Sorry, but this was a better movie ("Nanny McPhee"). I'll take "Mary Poppins" thank you. There were some nice bits, but I couldn't connect with the characters - they didn't behave in a plausible way. It just didn't click for me.
Rebecca
Oct 05, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
It's interesting to read YA books written a long ago--you can see how styles have changed over time.

Nurse Matilda, is an old fashioned story about a family coping with naughty children. Brand never tells you how many children they are and she changes their names frequently. Not one child is developed as a character but neither is anyone else. The parents are colorless and unremarkable except for their utter cluelessness. The servants are many and equally undistinguished. Aunt Adeliade has some s
Sara
Dec 06, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
Funny, delightful, wholesome, old-fashioned and just perfectly well suited for children! we chose to listen to this one from audible and I am so glad that we did because the narrator was phenomenal! this was a lunchtime book of hours for three days and every day there were groans when it was time for me to turn it off. A keeper!
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 22, 2012 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
These stories are the basis of the new movie Nanny McPhee (which I haven’t seen), which is billed as the new Mary Poppins. The book is a bind-up of 3 books: Nurse Matilda, Nurse Matilda goes to Town, and Nurse Matilda Goes to Hospital. The children in the books are horribly, horribly bad and the parents believe their children are darlings. Nurse Matilda combines Mary Poppins’ sternness with Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle’s remedies of exaggeration (curing by making you do the same thing many times). It’s a ...more
Gláucia Renata
Nov 03, 2014 Gláucia Renata rated it really liked it
A família Brown possui inúmeros filhos e os mais arteiros que se possa imaginar. Não há mais babás que queiram trabalhar para eles, a não ser Matilda, muita feia com seu nariz batatoso e seu dentão horrendo. Será que ela conseguirá corrigi-los? E que método empregará? Leitura infantil de qualidade, boa para ler com os filhos em voz alta, boa pra gente mesmo em silêncio.

""E, justo quando os Brown estavam rezando para que ela continuasse sua corrida louca, fez exatamente o que as cabras sempre faz
Nevada Libert
Dec 18, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it did not like it
i only got half way in to this book but it was just to naughty for me. i think it needs to be written better, i was expecting it to get better and for the children to learn better manners,

NOT A GOOD BOOK!
Joy
Nov 24, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
This children's series (three books) is something I had ordered several years ago, never having heard of it, and I've just read this first book in the series. Nurse Matilda gets called in to help a family when the children are 'out of control.' That is certainly the case in the Brown family. They have many, many children (they don't say, but I listed them and got 27). They have a kind mother who never disciplines them and a staff that is constantly changing. When the children are particularly ba ...more
Emily
Dec 06, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Nurse Matilda. It is not in any way called Nanny McPhee, but it is quite good. Basically, the Brown children are very naughty so Mrs. Brown hires Nurse Matilda to sort them out. When she arrives, they are being simply horrid, and Nurse Matilda thumps her stick and they all have to keep doing whatever naughtiness they're doing until it becomes simply awful and they're immune to doing it again. For example, they eat too much porridge and jam and buns and bad-for-you things at breakfast, and Nurse ...more
Alison
Sep 03, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A couple of months ago, I was watching Nanny McPhee,. I realised that while I knew the film was based on the Nurse Matilda stories of Christianna Brand I had never read them. I finally found a second hand copy of the collected tales, illustrated by her cousin Edward Ardizzone, and I read them with enormous enjoyment. Of course, the film changes many of the details of the stories; Mr Brown is not a slightly hopeless, hardworking undertaker; instead there is an incredibly fecund Mr and Mrs Brown w ...more
Shahrina
Jan 22, 2012 Shahrina rated it liked it
Nurse Matilda is about a family of many, many children that are mischievous and get up to no good. The parents of these children, Mr and Mrs Brown hire many nurses, governesses and maids but one day the children’s naughtiness goes too far and they all decide to leave. Now, as this has happened so many times none of the agencies who supply these nurses, governesses and maids, can find people who are willing to help take care of these children.

After Mr and Mrs Brown are recommended to find and emp
Megan McBeath Hay
Sep 26, 2014 Megan McBeath Hay rated it liked it
So my daughter loved the movie Nanny McPhee and together we decided it might be fun to read the book. And the book is very entertaining and it held my daughter's attention fairly well. It didn't quite captivate her the way The Invention of Hugo Cabret or Mary Poppins did but it was entertaining. When we finished this book, she was already itching to read the next in the series.
Alissa
Jul 15, 2015 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I really wanted to like this book and hoped it would give a little insight into the movie. The stories were cute, but the writing style was hard to read and harder yet for my kids to understand. We are on a read the book and then watch the movie kick, so we finished it, but I don't know that the kids will connect the book with the movie much at all.
Brigida
Jan 21, 2014 Brigida rated it did not like it
Shelves: chapter-books
Bad children on the loose. Watch out! They can not stop being naughty and have driven everyone away. Poor Mr. and Mrs. Brown are at their wits end until it is recommended that they employ Nurse Matilda. Nurse Matilda promises to transform their naughty behavior to good behavior in seven days. Can she do it or is she full of hot air? Read to find out!

Intended Grade Level: 3rd grade - 5th grade

Michelle
Sep 20, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
I was curious to see how similar the book was to the Movie. I definitely enjoyed the movie more. The book was choppy and a bit vague. The characters were less likeable, even Nanny Matilda.
Alice
Nov 03, 2011 Alice rated it liked it
i liked this book, although i liked the movie Nanny McPhee better. in the book there were so many children, and we (readers) never really met any of them. we didn't know who they were, what they liked to do... i felt like they were just names that the author liked and wanted to put into the story. in the movie there was only seven children, so it was a lot better to understand and have actual feelings for the characters. and i like the idea that in the movie the father needs to find a wife becau ...more
Ella Pyne
This is a good, easy read for you if you have maybe a younger sibling and they are bored. It is not the simplicity of a bedtime story, but it is not a grabbing plot either.
Thomas Shepherd
Jun 17, 2015 Thomas Shepherd rated it it was amazing
A magical book of manners for how children are to behave made all the more brilliant by illustrations by the author's cousin, Edward Ardizzone. Full of fun and frollicks.
Kathleen Behrendt
These charming British stories, published in 1946, feature Nurse Matilda, an atrocious nanny with a magical walking stick who is the last resort for desperate parents. Nurse Matilda ultimately teaches children good behavior by showing them the down side of their bad behavior. The author uses many British words, such as nappy, treacle and Swedes, that might need some explaining.

Recommend this book to readers in third grade and up - even adults will enjoy this book. Recommend this to readers who l
Dana Salman
I suppose I expected a bit more from Nurse Matilda, although I knew her as nanny McPhee before I started reading. She ends all the children's mishaps in the same way; by using a reverse-phsycological magic that makes it so that they cannot stop what they're doing. Admittedly though, the children's antics were entertaining, but of course if they'd been my kids I'd beat them all to a pulp (but I'd probably make an exception to the Baby [why doesn't C.B give it a name to call by, for God's sake?:]) ...more
Madrose
Jan 26, 2015 Madrose rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderful story and also quite funny. It is a lot of fun as are the two sequals.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 25, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
Shelves: bccls
This classic nanny-tale is halfway between Mary Poppins and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, in that the solution to every bad behavior of this exceptionally large and exceptionally badly-behaved family is to be required to go on doing it, until doing it becomes torture, and the children think to ask nicely for help. For those who don't like books in a historic/period setting this will be tedious; for those who still read E. Nesbit, it will be amusing though the ridiculous children are a bit over the top.
Jess
Feb 03, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-story, funny
A whimsical story geared for children. Great book to read with kids.
Wendy
Jul 12, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Anne Homeschooling-Mama
Jul 04, 2010 Anne Homeschooling-Mama rated it it was amazing
This was a homeschooling read-aloud with the kids and I was chuffed at how much they enjoyed it. The ladybaby collapsed in giggles a few times, and even chickabid laughed out loud, especially at the antics of the Baby.
If you can get hold of it, the original Nurse Matilda is the best. A poor imitation of recent years is Nanny McPhee, but if the book is anything like the movie it's not really like Nurse Matilda at all. As always, read the book first and *then* see the movie.
May 27, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Some parts were really very funny -- the children are so horribly naughty. It is told in highly British manner, mostly satirical in tone, but there are sweet moments too. All in all I enjoyed it, but this is an extremely rare instance in which I prefer the movie version. I endorse the changes that Emma Thompson made to the plot, in adapting it for the "Nanny McPhee" film script, especially to the character of Evangeline.
Cass
Jul 08, 2011 Cass rated it liked it
The book I read also included 'Nurse Matilda Goes to Town" and 'Nurse Matilda Goes to the Hospital.'
This is the book on which 'Nanny McPhee" was based and I loved the movie. But the movie is far more enjoyable than the book. It's a little boring after a while. I'm not sure it would even hold the interest of a child if you read it aloud. Don't bother reading the other books as they are just a rehash of the first.
Maryposa
Feb 03, 2011 Maryposa rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-april-2011
It was a simple, sweet, little story. I read bits of it to my girls and they giggled (which is saying a lot considering the minimal illustrations).

Favorite things about this book:
All the very creative and terrible mischief the children get into.
Making a list of all the children's names and trying to figure out exactly how many of them there are.
Nurse Matilda's arithmetic lesson
Marci
Jan 17, 2011 Marci rated it really liked it
I whizzed through this little book, delighted with every single scene. Nurse Matilda was renamed "Nanny McPhee" for a movie, which is also delightful, if a little different from the book, but I thought the movie captured the spirit very well. The book might be a little hard to find, but it is well worth the trouble for all age groups. I only wish I'd found it many, many years ago.
Kelsey Yates
Mar 02, 2014 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Fun stories, but I would only read the first one. When she leaves at the end, the children are reformed. At the beginning of the sequel, they are all naughty again. Cycle repeats for the third book. Less fun to read when there is no actual character growth.
Amanda
Apr 27, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
This is a really good read-aloud. I've seen the movie, which is fairly true to the book, but, as usual, the book is just so very much better. We enjoyed the British cultural references and language...even needed a dictionary a few times, like for the word "baize." This is sort of Alice in Wonderland light with good old-fashioned moral lessons.
  • Minnow on the Say
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • Halinka
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke)
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Grinny
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Tüskevár
  • A Hundred Million Francs (Le Cycle de Louvigny, #1)
  • Brendon Chase
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • Uncle
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
Christianna Brand (December 17, 1907 - March 11, 1988) was a crime writer and children's author. Brand also wrote under the pseudonyms Mary Ann Ashe, Annabel Jones, Mary Roland, and China Thomson.

She was born Mary Christianna Milne in 1907 in Malaya and spent her early years in India. She had a number of different occupations, including model, dancer, shop assistant and governess.

Her first novel,
More about Christianna Brand...

Nurse Matilda (4 books)
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Town
  • Nurse Matilda Goes to Hospital
  • Nanny McPhee: Based on the Collected Tales of Nurse Matilda

“Once upon a time there was a huge family of children; and they were terribly, terribly naughty.” 1 likes
“The Agency was doubtful, because they had already sent a lot of nurses and nannies and governesses to Mr. and Mrs. Brown's family. 'The person you want,' they said, 'is Nurse Matilda.” 1 likes