Start by marking “Leadership in Organizations” as Want to Read:
Leadership in Organizations

Leadership in Organizations

What makes an effective leader? This book discusses theories of leadership and provides practical advice for business leaders. This text provides a balance of theory and practice as it surveys the major theories and research on leadership and managerial effectiveness in formal organizations. Changes in the Seventh Edition include a reorganization of chapters to make room ...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 628 pages
Published December 31st 2008 by Prentice Hall (first published September 28th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership in Organizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership in Organizations

Nguyen Cassie
Nov 25, 2013 Nguyen Cassie rated it liked it
It's rather heavy and dry book, which is suitable as a course book. Good knowledge and guidelines in some cases are interesting!
T.j.
Nov 07, 2009 T.j. rated it liked it
Although there are some excellent studies on many different leadership behaviors in Yukl's 7th edition of Leadership, the material is rather dry and drawn out. Truthfully, this was a chore to read due to the constant contradictions of previous statements of fact throughout the book: it rambles at times aimlessly among topics to the point that you are not sure exactly what is true, what is false, or what is inconclusive (most of the studies examined, early models and latter models, all seem to ...more
Gabrielle
Aug 14, 2011 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
There could not be a more thorough book on leadership theory. It is great that the book is updated often to reflect the changing field of leadership.

The language used in the text does assume knowledge of the field. It is appropriate for graduate level courses, and it could be used in undergraduate courses with the right supplemental readings. It includes access to a helpful online companion website with study tools.

The book does focus on organizational leadership, and so it may not appeal to e
Yeva
Mar 25, 2012 Yeva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a leadership course I'm taking, and I'm glad I read it. I would recommend, though, that if you're interested in this book the Global Edition is hard to read--the print is small in the paperback. So, spend the money and buy the hardcover edition. I'm a cheapskate, and if you're tapped for funds, the paperback is there. The case studies at the back of the book are great to ponder, and you might surprise yourself with your answers to the questions about them.
Michelle
A little heavy on just reporting about studies made on managers and leaders - but still very interesting because instead of trying to just define leadership it acknowledges that leadership is a spectrum and underlines all the different parts of that spectrum. I'm not done yet - but I doubt my review will change much.
Becky
Dec 17, 2015 Becky rated it liked it
This is not a book for simple folk. Even with my love for vocabulary I was looking up words to complete my required reading. It seems far too wordy for the information gathered from the text. While scholarly, I could have used about 1/3 of the text from each chapter to get the gist of what I needed for my class.
Betsy
This was way to academic. If I was getting a PhD in this stuff I might need to know about the in depth take on various research but when trying to learn this stuff I much prefer just to read about results. The writing and look of the book is totally dry and uninspiring. Some good information but not a fun way to learn.
Matthew
Jun 28, 2013 Matthew rated it it was ok
This is a text book for my master's program. It is dry. I expected it to be dry. It has a lot of information but it didn't make the subject matter interesting.
Matt
Oct 17, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is the leader's bible. Yukl discusses key strategies to all aspects of leadership, synthesizing research into practical tools anyone leader can apply.
princesspwny
Apr 20, 2012 princesspwny rated it liked it
Certainly not something I would ever read for pleasure, but provided a good overview of general concepts and techniques for the class I am taking.
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Reese
Reese rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2012
Otasha Samuels
Otasha Samuels rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Sue Way
Sue Way rated it it was ok
May 02, 2010
Layla
Layla rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2014
Hongyang
Hongyang rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2010
Filip R
Filip R rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
CJ
CJ rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Christopher G. Banford
Christopher G. Banford rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Kylie
Kylie rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Roberta
Studying this book as part of my MBA.
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Cynthia Gonzalez tricoche
Cynthia Gonzalez tricoche rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Jurij Fedorov
Jurij Fedorov rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Pernille Thorsen
Pernille Thorsen rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Images of Organization
  • Transforming Leadership
  • The Corporate Culture Survival Guide
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • Developing Management Skills
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
  • Psychology
  • Managers Not MBAs: A Hard Look at the Soft Practice of Managing and Management Development
  • People Styles at Work: Making Bad Relationships Good & Good Relationships Better
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Leadership: Theory and Practice
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge (Collins Business Essentials)
  • NLP at Work : The Difference That Makes a Difference in Business
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
  • Discovering Statistics Using SPSS (Introducing Statistical Methods)
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down