Start by marking “Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Monster Republic (Monster Republic, #1)

Monster Republic (Monster Republic #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An explosion in a nuclear power plant.

Kids patched up with scavenged body parts and bionic implants.

A growing army of superhuman soldiers programmed for destruction.

"No," whispered Cameron to the monster in the glass. And he watched it shaking its hideous head. "That's not me. You're not me."

As commercial and compelling as a computer game, this is the first book in a majo
Paperback, 1st Edition, 224 pages
Published January 7th 2010 by Corgi Childrens (first published December 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Monster Republic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Republic

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareTorment by Lauren KateHalo by Alexandra AdornettoCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Best Book Covers for 2010
266th out of 373 books — 3,207 voters
My Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyBoundless by Cynthia HandTess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas HardyThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Authors With A Last Name Starting With "H"
177th out of 731 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne
As you’ll know from the books I review, I’m a huge fantasy fan, but when it comes to sci-fi, my attitude towards it, in a word, is pretty much "meh". However, when Carolyn enthusiastically reviewed Monster Republic on her blog Book Chick City, it sounded awesome! So when I was offered the chance to review the book myself, I jumped at the chance. And it wasn’t a mistake! Monster Republic is amazing! The premise is just incredible, the imagery is fantastic, and the action is just wow!

I’m saying th
Jeremy Crawford
Boring. Simple. Basic plot. Waste of time. I started this book and read over 2/3rds of the way into it and finally just gave up. If you asked me what the ending was I could probably guess. This story was SO predictable. I am disappointed that I spent any time on this at all. Very very basic writing and a very bad read.
Cait
MONSTER REPUBLIC is a good beginning to a series. We’re introduced right away to Dr. Fry, and find out that not all is well with his Divinity Project (the Prime Minister himself is unhappy). We next meet our protagonist, Cameron, on the day he dies in an explosion at a nuclear power plant. What follows is a fast paced ride as Cameron wakes up a monster, is broken out of Doctor Fry’s laboratory and joins the Monster Republic – a gathering of all Doctor Fry’s rejects. Cameron is immediately caught ...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Monster Republic is the first book in a new series by Ben Horton. It's told in the third person narrative and although there are several interesting characters, it focuses mainly on the character of Cameron.

Cameron is popular, sporty and good looking. He has everything going for him, including the prettiest girl at school as his girlfriend. But there is one thorn in his side and that's Carl, the school bully. While visiting a nuclear power plant there is a huge explosion after which Cameron wak
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I was pretty excited when I heard that this book was like Terminator meets X-Men. What a premise! Luckily, Monster Republic delivered the non-stop action promised, and moved along at a very quick speed. As a bonus, Random House have included a few pages of art at the back, which made imagining the characters and settings that much easier.

Cameron is a normal teenage boy, with the usual mix of secondary school friends, and the hots for a girl in his year. He's not a character that stood out to me
Cheree Smith
Mar 19, 2010 Cheree Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who liked Maximum Ride
Synopsis (From back cover): An explosion in a nuclear power plant. Kids patched up with scavenged body parts and bionic implants. A growing army of superhuman soldiers programmed for destruction. Cameron Riley is about to discover that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Monster Republic is the first book in a new series by debut author Ben Horton. When I first picked up the novel I thought it was a Young Adult, but quickly discovered it was a Middle Grade, even so, it was an exhilarating f
Kate Winiarska
I was eager to read Monster Republic, and slightly disappointed if I'm honest.
The storyline is pretty basic, though not hugely overdone to my knowledge so I was interested how it was going to pan out.

I felt that the book was written a little too simply for my taste, not to say that it was written badly, just that I'm used to books that are a little more wordy. The characters were well thought through, but I think they could have been developed a bit more, I didn't feel an attachment to any of th
Cj Wauthier
i loved this book yes it was written vary simple. but i have never really read many books. im 17 years old and i seen this book as a vary good easy read with easy to love characters. funny thing is that it was made for ages 11 and up and i felt that this book was realistically in my eyes for ages 14 and up which is a good thing. some parts where a little short but luckily there is more books and i have not read them yet but i will.

the best character is Rora
Mark Warner
I really enjoyed this... it was different to anything I'd read before, very easy to read and really exciting. I could easily see this turned into a movie and I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Kimberly Chavira
dk it was a good book not that much
Ian
Jun 11, 2010 Ian added it
alright
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Zac
Zac marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Caro G.S
Caro G.S marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Mr.Pink1349
Mr.Pink1349 marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jossettelanderos20
Jossettelanderos20 marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Yokesaa
Yokesaa marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • Shadows in the Twilight
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The City in the Lake
  • The Jumbee
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Payback (Boy Soldier, #2)
  • Loups-Garous (Novel)
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • Freaks and Revelations
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Blood Brothers
  • The Tomorrow Code
Ben Horton was born in Buckinghamshire, grew up in Norfolk, went to university in Cambridge and now lives in London. When not writing, Ben runs a theatre company, enjoys cooking and watching films like Batman and X-Men.
More about Ben Horton...

Monster Republic (2 books)
  • The Judas Code (Monster Republic, #2)
The Judas Code (Monster Republic, #2) Monster Republic: Omnibus Edition Monster Republic (The Trilogy) Monster Republic: The Judas Code Monster Republic: Book 1