Start by marking “Passport to Romance” as Want to Read:
Passport to Romance

Passport to Romance

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published June 1955 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Passport to Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passport to Romance

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Boarding School Stories
305th out of 423 books — 576 voters
Betsy and the Great World by Maud Hart LovelaceGood Wives by Louisa May AlcottAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsMystery of the Golden Temple by Lisa TravisMystery of the Secret Room by Janelle Diller
Americans abroad in juvenile fiction
33rd out of 59 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Carolynne
This is perhaps the least interesting of the Cavanna books that I have read,(The plot is predictable and the characterizations stereotypical.) though I am usually fascinated by boarding school stories. Perhaps the American perspective is less intense than the British perspective, because the books lacked the intriguing details of the boarding school life academics are for the most part missing. (Although the most popular British author of boarding school stories, Elinor Brent Dyer, didn't go to ...more
Anastasia
I remember reading this book in the 5th or 6th grade! I still know I loved this book. I wish it were available on Kindle. As a little girl you can bet that I went home after reading this book and asked to go to boarding school in Switzerland. That was a no go.

Some books just resonate with you and this was one of them.
Laurie
Aug 19, 2008 Laurie added it
I found this on Wendy's bookcase and read it during a visit home. I was too distracted by the similarities to And Both Were Young to decide if it was any good. (I don't think there's anything nefarious about the similarities; probably all '50s-era novels about American girls at Swiss boarding schools have similarities. I mean, she has to meet a boy and get permission to have tea with him, because what else is she going to do? And presumably everyone skis in Switzerland. The names--Jody/Josephine ...more
Lizz
Definitely a must-read if you like what Wendy Burton recommends. A good story without too much conflict, mostly character development. The conflicts come from day-to-day living, from realizing your first crush is a movie star, and basically just figuring out how to be a person as you grow up. Oh, and it takes place in a boarding school in Switzerland, so even better. the only thing is the food and clothes descriptions could have been a bit *more*.
Gabrielle
You would think that I would tire of boarding school stories but I really don't. I really liked Jody as a character. She was a very realistic teenager. The Swiss boarding school setting was a good backdrop for this. I liked how Betty Cavanna did not have to resort to stereotypes for the different nationalities.
My only disappointment with this book is that I've only recently discovered it! The book is reminiscent of Beverly Cleary's books to me, so I loved about every minute of it. The ending though...left me hanging a bit, but that's okay, for it just fuels the imagination of where things would go next.
Lea Carter
An ordinary girl from the "States" goes to a boarding school in Europe, where she meets a handsome teacher, a jealous classmate, and a boy more or less from back home.
CLM
Aug 01, 2007 CLM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Story of girl who goes to boarding school in Switzerland and learns how to ski.
Brenda
Brenda added it
Dec 26, 2014
Jeff Aleño
Jeff Aleño marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Preety Kaur
Preety Kaur marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Emmalena
Emmalena marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
American juvenile author (full name: Elizabeth Allen) Betty Cavanna suffered from a crippling disease, infantile paralysis, as a child, which she eventually overcame with treatment and exercise. During her convalescence, attentive adults read to her until she was old enough to read to herself, beginning a long love affair with books.

Cavanna majored in journalism at the New Jersey College for Women
More about Betty Cavanna...
Going On Sixteen Paintbox Summer Ruffles And Drums The Boy Next Door Angel on Skis