Start by marking “The Lost” as Want to Read:
The Lost

The Lost (Gaunt's Ghosts #8-11)

4.46  ·  Rating Details ·  1,029 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
'The Lost' gathers together four novels - 'Traitor General', 'His Last Command', 'The Armour of Contempt', and 'Only In Death'.
Published March 1st 2010 by Black Library

To ask other readers questions about The Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost

Bradley
Dec 05, 2016 Bradley rated it really liked it
Lots of awesome stories. I will be searching for Dan's books into infinity. =)
Jean-Luc
Jul 03, 2013 Jean-Luc rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus. I already reviewed The Founding and The Saint omnibuses. If you read those reviews, you know I'm going to slap 5 stars on the book and slobber all over the author. If you're not familiar w/ Warhammer 40k, start w/ The Founding. Don't worry, the rest of the series will wait.

Traitor General - Gaunt and comrades infiltrate the Archenemy-occupied planet of Gereon to assassinate the titular character. Local conditions are horrific as the planet and populace are
Derek Weese
Feb 28, 2014 Derek Weese rated it it was amazing
Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost's series just keeps getting better and better as it goes along. There's very little I can say that can add to the voluminous verbiage that has already been pontificated about these books and this here omni. So let me just say very little and trust that you'll want to read this once you start the very first book.
Dan's amazing ability as a writer is not in his ability to throw you into truly epic (gargantuan, huge, AMAZINGLY GIGANTIC) battle scenes as well as individual
Ding Ong
Jun 10, 2015 Ding Ong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer-40k
I managed to finish this book in a record time of one week and two days. My normal reading speed for omnibuses of this size was around 3 to 4 weeks, but this book was special.

The first chapter of this book was an addictive read. I could not help but to just read on their underground activities on Gereon. The way that he depicted the chaos-infested world was very informative. It was the first time i have read about a former imperial world that was conquered by the forces of chaos and how it have
Ton
Apr 11, 2014 Ton rated it it was ok
Third omnibus in Dan Abnett's series Gaunt's Ghosts. Since the second one he's been culling the herd, and this one suffers from the lack of interesting characters. The cast is still large, but the leftovers tend to have plot-armour (apart from the odd mangled limb, but then that's what augmetics are for) and the new additions aren't particularly fething interesting.

Plotwise, the storyline doesn't really seem to be going anywhere either. Abnett makes some daring choices by stranding a squad of hi
Travis
Oct 05, 2010 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richard Tran
May 16, 2010 Richard Tran rated it really liked it
This Omnibus is the third one released for the Gaunt's Ghosts series. It contains 4 individual novels. I really liked the flow of the novels as they all follow after each other directly. Sometimes with Omnibuses you just get a collection of stories that are loosely based together but that is not the case here. I highly recommend this book for any fans of the series. Please refer to my individual reviews of each book contained in this omnibus: Traitor General, His Last Command, The Armour of ...more
John Scott
Mar 14, 2012 John Scott rated it it was amazing
Although not my favourite of the series, its still an incredible read, and it does offer up the brilliant His Last Command and the harrowing Only In Death. His Last Command sees the Ghosts fighting under a new name and a new commander, as well as the Gereon team returning from their mission. I don't know why, but the thought of Kolea being a Major still gives me goosebumps. Only In Death is certainly the most vicious of the Ghosts' novels, with things down so close to the wire it cuts your arm ...more
Denis Reynolds
Mar 22, 2014 Denis Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable continuation of the Gaunt's Ghosts series, this compiles Traitor General, His Last Command, The Armour of Contempt, and Only in Death. Abnett is perhaps the best author Black Library has, and personally I look forward to reading the last chapter in the Ghosts series, with The Victory (Blood Pact, Salvation's Reach, and The Warmaster).

If you're a fan of Sci-fi or Warhammer 40k, I wholeheartedly recommend this book, I've read it 3 times myself.
Craig
May 18, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book(s) I've read by Abnett. I have to say I really enjoyed this omnibus, and am happy there are more unread.

Good sci-fi / fantasy. Bloody. Great characters.

Some folks may be turned off by the Warhammer connection. I pretty much disregarded and enjoyed the ride.

Two words used inappropriately across 4 book omnibus: one was "enervated", the other I can't recall right now. The mis-use irritated me more than it probably should.
Eric
Jul 30, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing
Great book, love his work. He's very detail and injects so much action into his writing that I cannot put down his books. I literally spend nights reading until I finish the book. Does an amazing job of balancing detailed descriptions as not to over exaggerate or make things dull and cheesy
Sleepy
Jul 08, 2011 Sleepy rated it it was amazing
Classic Warhammer 40,000, minus the annoyingly god-like space marines. Abnett is adept both at military fiction in its own right and at making the Warhammer universe immediate and believable.

Combine the two and all the Gaunt's Ghosts books are very hard to put down.
Lucy
Apr 06, 2011 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Omnibus that includes numbers 8-11 in the Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. All of them were amazing. Love this series.
Jakob
Aug 30, 2015 Jakob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, military
Dan Abnett paints visceral pictures of a far flung future in which there is only war. He never leaves any doubt as to the brutality of war, and the pages more or less turn themselves.
Michael Manning
Mar 20, 2012 Michael Manning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Dan Abnett's military novels. This is the third and final anthology of his Gaunt's Ghosts series which covers around 1000 pages of gritty, sic-fi awesome.
Michael Anton
Nov 11, 2014 Michael Anton rated it it was amazing
I only chose 5 stars because they won't let me give it more than that. An excellent collection. No one writes better military sci fi than Dan Abnett.
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
MR M A MOORE
MR M A MOORE rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Mathias Josefsson
Mathias Josefsson rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2015
Sólrún
Sólrún rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Robby
Robby rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Kai
Kai rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Astor Suarez
Astor Suarez rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Brian Janeczek
Brian Janeczek rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
David  Griffin
David Griffin rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Noel
Noel rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
  • Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium
  • The Ultramarines Omnibus
  • Grey Knights: The Omnibus (Grey Knights, #1-3)
  • The Blood Angels Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Shadows of Treachery
  • Lord of the Night
  • Space Wolf: The Second Omnibus
  • Fallen Angels

Gaunt's Ghosts (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts, #1)
  • Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts, #2)
  • Necropolis