Start by marking “The Flame Keepers” as Want to Read:
The Flame Keepers

The Flame Keepers

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the Spring of 1944, Ned Handy's B-24 bomber was shot down on a mission into Germany. Handy and his fellow survivors were sent to Stalag 17, a crowded, disease-ridden POW camp that held thousands of Allied soldiers and operated by its own cruel rules.

From the beginning, Handy set out to escape, relentlessly digging a tunnel underneath a barracks. As he dug, Handy forged...more
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Flame Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flame Keepers

Janet Librarian
Another book of survival, this time in a POW camp (Stalag 17) during WWII. What I appreciate is the author's reflection on seemingly unrelated memories as he experiences bailing out over enemy territory and his capture and internment that show his struggle to integrate chaos into his known experiences. It's also interesting how much this story correlates with the characters in the movie of Stalag 17. Handy chose to analyze himself and the way fellow captives responded to imprisonment rather than...more
Vicky Titcomb
Amazing memoir of the real story of Stalag 17 told by the man who dug the tunnel. Insightful, thoughtful and real, this is an extraordinary story of survival.
David Hill
Ned Handy tells the story of being shot down over Germany and his time in Stalag 17. Reads like a novel, complete with dialog. No index, notes, or bibliography. I enjoyed this story of overcoming adversity. I have a generally poor memory and am always amazed when folks can recount tales of decades ago with such clarity. I don't doubt anything he relates, but couldn't help but notice he got one thing wrong - he says they got news of the Remagen Rhine crossing in autumn of 1944 but this didn't hap...more
Lynn
Adult book / mature young adult: I read this mornings during silent reading at school ... not one I would have chosen to pick up on my own, but I'm glad I read it - I learned a lot while reading...
Jon
This is a true story about American WWII prisoners in Stalag 17 a large Nazi prison camp.
Rick C
Story of life in real Stalag 17
Lisa Paton
Lisa Paton marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kristin Kirstenpfad
Kristin Kirstenpfad marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jennifer Armstrong
Jennifer Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Adrianne
Adrianne marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Mary Chambers
Mary Chambers marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Phineas
Phineas is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2014
Grant
Grant is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
imformative story 1 4 Dec 11, 2008 09:54AM
The Flame Keepers: The True Story of an American Soldier's Survival Inside Stalag 17