Start by marking “Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)” as Want to Read:
Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)

Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Muhammad was a religious visionary and political leader. Raised in the harsh Arabian Peninsula and orphaned while still a child, this unlikely leader and military genius received a calling to transform his society from a collection of raiding tribes into one of the world's most progressive societies. His message of monotheism and righteousness motivated an entire people to ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Alpha (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Lives

How to invite people to Allah by Mohammad Al AreefiThe End of the World by Muhammad Al Areefi200 Golden Hadith by DarussalamLOVING OUR PARENTS by Abdul Malik MujahidFast According to Sunna by Muhammad Zulfiqar
A Muslim Reading List
65th out of 202 books — 83 voters
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Qur'an by AnonymousThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Valley Came Alive - Al Bidayah - Vol III by DarussalamEarly Days by Ibn Kathir
A Kindle Muslim Reading List
114th out of 204 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
This is by far the best book I have read about the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) It also has great Qur'an quotations, and culture notes on Pre-Islam Arabia vs. Post-Islam Arabia through out the book.
Farouk Abu Alhana
I was conflicted between giving this four or five stars. On the one hand, this prophetic biography is lucid and engaging. On the other, I could constantly sense an apologetic undertone that seemed to permeate throughout the book. This is somewhat understandable, especially considering that this was published not too long after 9/11.

This criticism aside, whether you are completely ignorant of the life of the founder of the world's second largest religion, or are a devout Muslim looking to refresh
Betty Craipo
Knowing so little about Islam, I sought out a book that would tell me about the man behind the religion. My search led me directly to Yahiya Emerick and I enjoyed learning the new and different path Muhammad chose to set for his people, the problems he faced, and the choices he had to make. This book allowed me to feel that I had spent a few days beside Muhammad on his journey in which he told me about his life.
Maha Balouch
Raised into Islam, all I knew about the Prophet was from my parents and from the various Sheikhs that I listened to. They were all correct, but I wanted to know about the Prophet from birth to death, with a focus on his wives and the people around him.
I learned so much about my Prophet that I did not know before. I learned how each occurrence in his life pertaining to the teaching of Islam was the inspiration of specific verses of the Qur'an, which is the holy book of Islam.
I learned the dept of
Michael Powell
I really liked this because it is instructive to see how the most heinous facts can be whitewashed by an author so inclined.
David Vita
Very informative. This gives strong context to past and current events.
Farangis A'zami
Fell in love with my Prophet (SAW) once again...
Jim Ament
Muhammad, Critical Lives by Yahiya Emerick (2002)

I once belonged to a men's non-fiction book club, and given the events facing the world involving radical Islam, it was agreed that we would try to understand more about the origins of Islam by reading this biography. The club didn't last long, as eventually there were only two people interested—the organizer and me. My review:

Muhammad, from the lineage of Abraham, was born in 570 and raised in poverty by a Bedouin tribe in a culture where custom,
Nurul Nadhira
It brought me closer to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and felt his hardships. I personally like the way Emerick wrote this book, with less jargons and able to bring the emotions.

However the references used for the book makes me a little uncomfortable. I dont know if I can 100% believe Ibn Ishaq's The Life of Muhammad, but I dont know how much of that was used for this book.
Ang Fenni
Wanted to find out more about how islam started so I decided to get this book. Truly a good read if one wishes to understand the birth of this amazing religion with little biasness:)
Mystery
It had been a while since I had read the life of our Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him). And reading this was refreshing. Though it does not get into specific details about certain conversions or the abuse our prophet and his companions went through, it still lays out a concise and easy-to-understand flow of events whereby anyone, whether muslim or non-muslim were to read it, they would be able to visualize his entire life through this book. I would recommend this for anyone who would lik ...more
Noor
This book is a really good, unbiased biography of the Prophet (pbuh). It really makes you appreciate him and the struggles that he went through. I think it's a great book for a non-Muslim who wants to get a credible review of the Prophet's (pbuh) life.

p.s. I'm re-reading this book, and it really does move me no matter how many times I've read it.
Jenny
Aug 06, 2013 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
Very readable, accompanied by handy textbook-like explanatory insets and photos. The text sometimes jumped from one topic to another with little transition in between, and the author espouses certain views that are debated by other scholars, but this book's overall flow and minimal use of technical terms make it worth reading.
Kimberly Rahi
This was my first in depth reading of The Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). It will NOT disappoint. This book begins far before the Prophet's birth and finishes in present day society. A truly enlightening read for anyone open to understanding the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and his peaceful ways.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
This was a good biography of Muhammad. It was written by a devoit Muslim. It provided good information on who Muslims believe Muhammad was and what he accomplished. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about him.
Jena Kinyoun
Another read for the same religion class, I'd suggest a lot of people read this, it gives you a pretty good insider view about the prophet Muhammad.
Nezamuddin
One of the most beautifully written, light read on the life of the Prophet.
Mohamed Shedou
The 3rd, and best English biography of Muhammad I read so far.
Hannah
Enjoyed all the history and tidbits I hadn't heard before.
Jo`` Khalaf
Jun 07, 2007 Jo`` Khalaf rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great book on the Prophet Muhammad.
Zareen
Zareen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Zainab
Zainab is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Maysoon K
Maysoon K marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Pasha
Pasha marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
LArif
LArif added it
Feb 14, 2015
Jaime Steele
Jaime Steele marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Adam Abdullah
Adam Abdullah marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • The History of the Qur'anic Text from Revelation to Compilation: A Comparative Study with the Old and New Testaments
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • The Oxford History of Islam
  • نساء عظيمات من العالم الإسلامي
  • Struggling to Surrender: Some Impressions of an American Convert to Islam
  • Karbala
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • The Arab Awakening: Islam and the New Middle East
  • The Search for Beauty in Islam: A Conference of the Books
  • The Damned Season
  • Acts of Faith: The Story of an American Muslim, the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
  • The Road to Mecca
  • The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
  • Al-Maqasid: Nawawi's Manual of Islam
  • Believing Women in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an
Yahiya Emerick has been a prolific author and has written many articles that have been published in local as well as national magazines, both in North America and abroad. Amirah Publishing was founded by Yahiya Emerick in 1992 in order to further his ideal of publishing American-oriented literature on Islam. Much to his chagrin, Brother Yahiya found that many traditional Muslims were quite content ...more
More about Yahiya Emerick...

Critical Lives (4 books)
  • Critical Lives: Che Guevara
  • Critical Lives: Mother Teresa
  • Critical Lives: Thomas Edison
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam What Islam is All about Isabella A Girl of Muslim Spain The Complete Idiot's Guide to Islam The Complete Idiot's Guide to Rumi Meditations