Start by marking “Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)” as Want to Read:
Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)

Critical Lives: Muhammad (Critical Lives)

Muhammad was a religious visionary and political leader. Raised in the harsh Arabian Peninsula and orphaned while still a child, this unlikely leader and military genius received a calling to transform his society from a collection of raiding tribes into one of the world's most progressive societies. His message of monotheism and righetousness motivated an entire people to ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Alpha (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Lives

How to invite people to Allah by Mohamad al-ArefeThe End of the World by Muhammad Al-Areefi200 Golden Hadith by Abdul Malik MujahidLOVING OUR PARENTS by Abdul Malik MujahidFast According to Sunna by Muhammad Zulfiqar
A Muslim Reading List
71st out of 235 books — 98 voters
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Qur'an by AnonymousThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Valley Came Alive - Al Bidayah - Vol III by ابن كثيرEarly Days by Ibn Kathir
A Kindle Muslim Reading List
92nd out of 246 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
This is by far the best book I have read about the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) It also has great Qur'an quotations, and culture notes on Pre-Islam Arabia vs. Post-Islam Arabia through out the book.
Farouk Abu Alhana
Feb 03, 2012 Farouk Abu Alhana rated it really liked it
I was conflicted between giving this four or five stars. On the one hand, this prophetic biography is lucid and engaging. On the other, I could constantly sense an apologetic undertone that seemed to permeate throughout the book. This is somewhat understandable, especially considering that this was published not too long after 9/11.

This criticism aside, whether you are completely ignorant of the life of the founder of the world's second largest religion, or are a devout Muslim looking to refresh
Betty Craipo
Jul 15, 2012 Betty Craipo rated it it was amazing
Knowing so little about Islam, I sought out a book that would tell me about the man behind the religion. My search led me directly to Yahiya Emerick and I enjoyed learning the new and different path Muhammad chose to set for his people, the problems he faced, and the choices he had to make. This book allowed me to feel that I had spent a few days beside Muhammad on his journey in which he told me about his life.
Maha Balouch
Aug 10, 2012 Maha Balouch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Raised into Islam, all I knew about the Prophet was from my parents and from the various Sheikhs that I listened to. They were all correct, but I wanted to know about the Prophet from birth to death, with a focus on his wives and the people around him.
I learned so much about my Prophet that I did not know before. I learned how each occurrence in his life pertaining to the teaching of Islam was the inspiration of specific verses of the Qur'an, which is the holy book of Islam.
I learned the dept of
Michael Powell
Jan 12, 2011 Michael Powell rated it really liked it
I really liked this because it is instructive to see how the most heinous facts can be whitewashed by an author so inclined.
David Vita
Feb 03, 2013 David Vita rated it it was amazing
Very informative. This gives strong context to past and current events.
Farangis A'zami
Jul 15, 2014 Farangis A'zami rated it it was amazing
Fell in love with my Prophet (SAW) once again...
Jim Ament
Mar 15, 2012 Jim Ament rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Muhammad, Critical Lives by Yahiya Emerick (2002)

I once belonged to a men's non-fiction book club, and given the events facing the world involving radical Islam, it was agreed that we would try to understand more about the origins of Islam by reading this biography. The club didn't last long, as eventually there were only two people interested—the organizer and me. My review:

Muhammad, from the lineage of Abraham, was born in 570 and raised in poverty by a Bedouin tribe in a culture where custom,
Ang Fenni
Jun 26, 2014 Ang Fenni rated it it was amazing
Wanted to find out more about how islam started so I decided to get this book. Truly a good read if one wishes to understand the birth of this amazing religion with little biasness:)
Mystery
Aug 09, 2014 Mystery rated it it was amazing
It had been a while since I had read the life of our Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him). And reading this was refreshing. Though it does not get into specific details about certain conversions or the abuse our prophet and his companions went through, it still lays out a concise and easy-to-understand flow of events whereby anyone, whether muslim or non-muslim were to read it, they would be able to visualize his entire life through this book. I would recommend this for anyone who would lik ...more
Nurul Nadhira Idris
Jul 12, 2015 Nurul Nadhira Idris rated it really liked it
It brought me closer to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and felt his hardships. I personally like the way Emerick wrote this book, with less jargons.

However I always feel it is too dramatic, and makes me ask myself, how did the author get these little details? The references used for the book makes me a little uncomfortable. I dont know if I can 100% believe Ibn Ishaq's The Life of Muhammad, but I dont know how much of that was used for this book.
Noor
Sep 06, 2014 Noor rated it it was amazing
This book is a really good, unbiased biography of the Prophet (pbuh). It really makes you appreciate him and the struggles that he went through. I think it's a great book for a non-Muslim who wants to get a credible review of the Prophet's (pbuh) life.

p.s. I'm re-reading this book, and it really does move me no matter how many times I've read it.
Jenny
Aug 06, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Very readable, accompanied by handy textbook-like explanatory insets and photos. The text sometimes jumped from one topic to another with little transition in between, and the author espouses certain views that are debated by other scholars, but this book's overall flow and minimal use of technical terms make it worth reading.
Kimberly Rahi
This was my first in depth reading of The Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). It will NOT disappoint. This book begins far before the Prophet's birth and finishes in present day society. A truly enlightening read for anyone open to understanding the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and his peaceful ways.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
Feb 20, 2008 Wachlin007 Hotmail rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, history
This was a good biography of Muhammad. It was written by a devoit Muslim. It provided good information on who Muslims believe Muhammad was and what he accomplished. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about him.
Jena Kinyoun
Feb 15, 2008 Jena Kinyoun rated it really liked it
Another read for the same religion class, I'd suggest a lot of people read this, it gives you a pretty good insider view about the prophet Muhammad.
Nezamuddin
Sep 26, 2012 Nezamuddin rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautifully written, light read on the life of the Prophet.
Mohamed Shedou
Sep 16, 2010 Mohamed Shedou rated it it was amazing
The 3rd, and best English biography of Muhammad I read so far.
Hannah
Jul 26, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ramadan-reads
Enjoyed all the history and tidbits I hadn't heard before.
Jo`` Khalaf
Jun 07, 2007 Jo`` Khalaf rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Great book on the Prophet Muhammad.
Ashmal Ahmed
Ashmal Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Kimberly Burgin
Kimberly Burgin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Sep 08, 2016
Susetyo
Susetyo rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Rebeca
Rebeca rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Wasee Imam
Wasee Imam rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Kikarabathassan Chef
Kikarabathassan Chef marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Amina
Amina rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The History of the Qur'anic Text from Revelation to Compilation: A Comparative Study with the Old and New Testaments
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • The Oxford History of Islam
  • Islamic Science and the Making of the European Renaissance
  • Muhammad: A Very Short Introduction
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Karbala
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • The Four Imams - Their lives, Works and their Schools of thought
  • The Search for Beauty in Islam: A Conference of the Books
  • Understanding the Four Madhhabs
  • Al-Maqasid: Nawawi's Manual of Islam
  • The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
  • Via delle Oche
  • Struggling to Surrender: Some Impressions of an American Convert to Islam
  • What I Believe
  • Muslims in American History: A Forgotten Legacy
  • The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff
Yahiya Emerick has been a prolific author and has written many articles that have been published in local as well as national magazines, both in North America and abroad. Amirah Publishing was founded by Yahiya Emerick in 1992 in order to further his ideal of publishing American-oriented literature on Islam. Much to his chagrin, Brother Yahiya found that many traditional Muslims were quite content ...more
More about Yahiya Emerick...

Critical Lives (4 books)