Start by marking “Roger Fry” as Want to Read:
Roger Fry

Roger Fry

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Virginia Woolf was a close friend of Roger Fry for many years - after his death she wrote this account of his passion for art, his own painting, and his changing critical theories. Born in 1866, he was primarily responsible for bringing the post-Impressionist movement to Britain, organising the first exhibitions and establishing the Omega workshops: he was also curator of ...more
Published April 7th 2003 by Vintage (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Roger Fry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roger Fry

To the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfThe Waves by Virginia WoolfA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfOrlando by Virginia Woolf
From Virginia's Room
29th out of 84 books — 31 voters
Howards End by E.M. ForsterA Room with a View by E.M. ForsterA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfA Passage to India by E.M. ForsterMrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Bloomsbury
73rd out of 106 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

H
To live fully, to live gaily, to live without falling into the great sin of Accidia which is punished by fog, darkness and mud, could only be done by asking nothing for oneself. It was difficult to put that teaching into practice. Yet in his private life he had during those difficult years forced himself to learn that lesson. "It was a kind of death to me", he wrote of that long struggle, "and it is a pale and disembodied ghost that's survived. . . ." (215)

"Why is it that I, who am a good critic
Joe Mossa

I was browsing through my fav used book store when I saw what I thought was a bio of virginia wolfe. It so happens that it was a bio of Roger Fry a famous British art, culture critic written by virgina wolfe. I pay close attention to my reading..lol. I have started reading it and find it quite interesting . It is interesting to see how critics come to their opinions of works of art and at times the critic becomes frustrated that his own painting isn t received too well by the buying public.
Brian  Kubarycz
I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but mostly because I've been reading Bloomsbury scholarship and returning to Freud. So Fry's temperament, as well as his interest in ecstatic color, makes sense enough to me. For the casual Woolf fan or Art History enthusiasts however, this will not be a favorite. If nothing else, the book confirms (as if there were ever any reasonable doubts) that Woolf can write good conventional prose.
Jill
Virginia Woolf's only biography, with many insights to both the life of visionary Roger Fry and to the Bloomsbury circle of which he was part.
England discovers both Modernism through his lectures and books, and the Omega Workshops which he ran and founded.
The latter lasted for only for six years (1913-1919) at its London address, 33 Fitzroy Square, London.
Timothy Deer
While the introduction is interesting, I'm not sure these few pages merited an individually published volume. They are brief and clearly in draft form. All the same, it is always nice to discover a little of Woolf's writing that hasn't been published elsewhere.
Martha
Not her best work but interesting to see how she wrote a biography without telling secrets that all of Bloomsbury knew but had to be hidden from the world to protect Roger Fry's family.
kymdotcom
I didn't think it was possible for Virginia Woolf to write a book that was more tedious than The Years. And then I read Roger Fry, with its excessive bowdlerising.
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Nicole G.
Nicole G. marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Soonha
Soonha marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Nelènia
Nelènia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mila J
Mila J marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 12, 2014
Meri Victoria
Meri Victoria marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Nadili De
Nadili De marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Leroy
Leroy added it
Mar 25, 2014
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...
Mrs. Dalloway To the Lighthouse A Room of One's Own Orlando The Waves