Start by marking “Hero Over Here: A Story of World War I” as Want to Read:
Hero Over Here: A Story of World War I

Hero Over Here: A Story of World War I

A young boy must look after his sick mother and sister while his father and brother fight in World War I.
Published July 1st 1992 by Puffin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Hero Over Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero Over Here

Terri Lynn
Mar 27, 2012 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, history, children
I really like this book. I used it in homeschooling my daughter and other kids in my homeschool classes when studying World War 1 and recently reread it just for fun.

This is an excellent book for boys as well as girls because the lead character is a 10 year old boy named Theodore and is a typical boy in 1918 who feels a little jealous of his dad and older brother who have gone off to be heroes "over there" in Europe in the war while he is stuck behind with his mother and bossy older sister.

Theo
Lisa
Feb 14, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Young Theodore learns to take care of his mother and sister during the deadly flu epidemic of 1918 while his brother and father are off fighting in the war in Europe.
Donovan
Jan 14, 2014 Donovan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Hero over Here by Kathleen V. Kudlinski is about a kid named Theodore. His father was in the hospital after fighting in World War I. His brother was going to fight in the war as well so Theodore became the man of the house. Meanwhile there was a flu epidemic and his mother and sister became ill with the flu. But Theodore didn’t really care. He wanted to go to Montana – a long time dream of his. But after meeting a man needing medical attention, he realized he needed to help him and others. So he ...more
Shannon Duncan
Even small books can hold great stories. Hero Over Here was written by Kathleen V. Kudlinski and was first published by Viking Penguin in 1990. In 1992, it was republished by Puffin Books and was illustrated by Bert Dodson. Although the characters and story are fictitious, the events are based on the memories of the author's two grandmothers.

Theodore's father and brother are both fighting in World War I, getting a chance to be heroes. Theodore longs to be with them, but when the 1918 influenza
Kimberly
Jan 23, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great little book about the flu epidemic of 1918 and how one boy was a hero at home by taking care of his mom and sister.

It is so sad that 22 million people died of the flu that year, more than died in WWI.
Melody
Mar 17, 2016 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Nice gentle look at the Spanish Influenza and home life during WWI, but too short to be really engaging.
Sharon
Nov 21, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it
A nice story of a boy who has to grow up very quickly during the 1918 Flu Pandemic. I read it aloud for history.
Gabriela Paige
Gabriela Paige rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2011
Kara
Kara rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2011
Holly Splawn
Holly Splawn rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
izzi
izzi rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2015
Ginny Teague
Ginny Teague rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2010
Melissa (ladybug)
Melissa (ladybug) rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Macleans5
Macleans5 rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Maria Cash
Maria Cash rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Maia
Maia rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Amy Lawrence
Amy Lawrence rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Ethan
Ethan rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2014
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Dr Soheyla
Dr Soheyla rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Louise Leonard
Louise Leonard rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015