Start by marking “The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,012,006 ratings  ·  36,026 reviews
After learning that he is the son of a mortal woman and Poseidon, god of the sea, twelve-year-old Percy is sent to a summer camp for demigods like himself, and joins his new friends on a quest to prevent a war between the gods.
Published July 12th 2005 by Hyperion Books For Children (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Thief, please sign up.

Elli The movies don't even make sense when you read the books. You NEED to read them. AMAZING series!
Makenzie First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

First off, the movies do not do the books justice :)

But yes, definitely read the books! I'm a teenager and I read the books a few years ago, but to this day it's one of my all-time favorite series. Riordan is an amazing writer, and once you start his books, you can't put them down! He does a great job with combining mythology with the modern day, so the stories seem all the more realistic.

While the first book is projected towards a younger audience, it's still action-packed and captivating. As the series progresses, Percy, the main character, grows and gets older so by the final book in the series he's 16, so as he matures, the books get older as well.

I also recommend these books because Rick has a follow-up series, called the Heroes of Olympus Series, which is for an older audience. Some of the characters from the Percy Jackson series carry over, so I recommend reading the first series to better understand the second (and I definitely recommend reading the follow-up series because it's just as good, if not better than the first).

Hope this helped!(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
A+ Writing
A+ Plot
A+ Characters
A+ MONSTERS

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I wish I hadn't watched the movie before reading it, because I felt like that ruined a bit of enjoyment of this book for me, but for the most part I had such a fun time reading this book and I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series.
Ela
I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveabl
Destinee Sutton
Aug 07, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Destinee by: The children of SPL
Mark
My sister recommended this series and I was pretty interested in it once I heard a basic summary of the plot. I must say, I was thoroughly disappointed.

The concept in itself is very creative. Son of a Greek god in modern times. He is dyslexic because he is meant to read ancient greek. That's clever. The translation of Greek gods to 21st, some were pretty well done, except for a few details here and there (a greek god would sick robot spiders against his enemies? Really?) The concept had promise.
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Chiron looked surprised. “I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.
As someone who has worked in Los Angeles, I can tell you that this is completely accurate.

While Harry Potter was spending his summers at the Dursleys, Percy Jackson attended Camp Half-Blood. This book has done the impossible: it has redeemed the name of Percy.

Yes, that's right, that snot-faced, lily-livered waste of air of the very same name from the Harry Potter universe. That n
Cara
Dec 24, 2013 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Recommended to Cara by: Gerson
Really is there something I could say that hasn't been said? Doubtful, but in utterly stupid human style I will write a review anyway attempting to tell people how cool this book is.

This is plainly an awesome idea. I had always wondered what happened to the kids of half gods/goddess and humans. Here's the story to quench your curiosity. Percy Jackson has been dumped around from border school to border school. He has never been quite like anybody else, but as the end of sixth grade approaches h
Emily May
Were you a bit weird in school? Or are you still in school and think you're kinda weird? I mean, everyone is weird, but you know that I mean. Maybe you didn't fit in, maybe people thought you were a bit of a loser. Maybe you had learning difficulties, were a target for bullies, got into trouble a lot, maybe it seemed like your teachers just didn't like you. Maybe you sucked at reading and were even diagnosed with dyslexia. Or ADHD.

Well, don't worry. Truth is, you're actually most likely a child
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Yet another review:

Well I feel like I've rewritten/updated my review of this like a billion times at this point, but I'm here to do it again. I re-read this over the span of the past two days when I had to take two super-long bus trips. This was the third time I've read the whole thing, I'm pretty sure (kind of the fourth time I guess, since I read a lot of it out loud to my younger siblings last year). There are few books that I loved when I was 12 that I still deeply love now, and this is one
Samadrita
EDIT 09/06/2013:- That's it. I have had my fill of too many stupid, brain-cell destroying comments posted on this review in the past few months asking me to write a 'best-selling book' before attempting to take apart Rick Riordan's writing. As if the exclusive privilege of negatively criticizing a book is accorded only to published writers and not ordinary reviewers/readers.
I do have the right to record my feelings about a book in my review. And it's such a shame that I am actually being forc
karen
this is a perfect book for young teenagers. if you were trying to devise a formula for writing a perfect book for this age group, you could not have done much better than this.

1) mysterious parentage. kids are totally self-absorbed. some never grow out of it, of course, but in younger people, it is more excusable - their internal life makes up the majority of their experience, they are used to being the center of attention and they spend a lot of time thinking about themselves and fantasizing. s
Kat O'Keeffe
I loved this book SO MUCH! Great characters, awesome world, fantastic writing, entertaining story--I can't think of any negatives! I will be adding the rest of the series (books 2-5) to my April TBR so I can read them ASAP!
J.
Aug 26, 2015 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J. by: G
Shelves: series
"Who's your favorite Greek god?" my cousin asked.

"Poseidon," I answered immediately. With that, she began to sell me on this series...

I originally wrote this one off as just another Harry Potter rip-off (which it basically is. Don't believe me? "Half-bloods" and the fact that instead of a prep school for wizards it's a summer camp for bastards of Greek gods). But it does have some good points, especially if you are a teacher trying to get your mid-grade class interested in mythology. I was put o
StoryTellerShannon
If you like Harry Potter, you will probably like this book, too. Come to think of it, if you do not like HP, you may still like this book. Recommended reading ages are grades 5-9 but if you're younger and like to read this book may very well be fine . . . and, this book is actually written well enough for adults to enjoy as well.

Tale focuses on a 12 year old boy named Percy who isn't getting along with just about everyone in school and soon discovers part of his problems are related to the fac
AriaStuckinWonderland
For some reason, I did not think I was going to like this book. I was worried because it was a Middle Grade book, I wouldn't like it too much. But no, I was so wrong. I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Of course it wasn't perfect. Some things that happened on this book are questionable, but then again, this is a Middle Grade book. I shouldn't compare the writing or the depth of this book to an Adult book or even a Young Adult book.

This series is even better than some of the YA/Adult books I've read.

And no, I am
Ademilson Moraes
I first heard of the book way before the movie adaptation was released, so at the time all the media hype began, I had already read the whole series, to be honest. Watching its awful film adaptation made me want to read the whole thing again, so I could disinfect my brain.

This first installment in this five-book series narrates the life of Percy Jackson, a boy of twelve years of age suffering from dyslexia and ADHD. The thing with Percy is that trouble seems to always find its way to him. As a r
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 04, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Joyzi
Shelves: ya, series
I knew almost nothing about Greek and Roman mythologies prior to reading this book. So, while reading the first two chapters and when I had difficulty following what's going on, particularly who were those characters, I picked up and started reading Edith Hamilton’s Mythology. After finishing the first chapter of that book, I resumed my reading and then I could follow.

The reason for my ignorance was that my teachers in elementary, high school and college did not bother teaching about those gods
Namratha
HALF-BOY, HALF-GOD, ALL HERO!!....the Tagline says it all. Percy Jackson is your quintessential pre-teen, dyslexic and suffering from ADHD. Getting into unexplainable scraps and shuffled from school to school, he pretty much accepts the fact that he’s destined to be......well, one big Loser.

Little does he know that he’s a ‘Half-Blood’, an off spring of a powerful Greek God and a mortal woman. And there is a special place for him, “Camp Half-Blood” which houses and protects other such demigods, n
Joyzi
Aug 17, 2011 Joyzi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
banner Pictures, Images and Photos

I first watched the movie version of this book that I really enjoyed and so I became interested to read the book.

So I just want to say that I rate it four stars because the story is about Greek mythology in the modern world, which is good because I loved mythology ever since.

I love the characters in the story especially Percy Jackson who in the story have dyslexia and ADHD, so in the story at first, he was not very good at school and he viewed himself as a loser because of that.

It really tou
Mary
Finished it in one sitting, this should give you an idea about how perfect it was :D
Natalie Monroe
How do I begin to explain the awesomeness that is this series...?

Percy Jackson is flawless.

It has two Celestial bronze daggers and a sliver chariot.

I hear its pages are insured for $10,000.

I hear it does Diet Coke commercials in Greece.

Its favorite movie is Disney's Hercules.

One time, it met JK Rowling on a plane and she told it it was the next Harry Potter.

One time, it punched me in the feels... It was awesome!

Raegan
Don't judge a book by it's movie!
Valentina
I loved every second of Percy Jackson! The characters are just amazing, and the plot twist is really good!
The movie is nothing compared to the book, except for the cast, which is pretty great.
I loved the fact that Percy can be really sassy and brave, but at the same time really cute and caring.
The other characters like Annabeth and Grover are pretty cool as well, I enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read the next book!
Inge
Just as brilliant as the first time I read it, now I can continue on with the rest of the series! ^_^
Kiki
Oh, please don't get me wrong. This book is adorable. I mean, come on - it's about a kid who wants to go save his mom. It's also a great stonking adventure with lots of flashy prose and a sweep-me-up-and-never-drop-me plot. Fun, fun, fun.

The only real problem I have with this book is the same that I have with pretty much every other fantasy tale that follows suit with Greek mythology: Medusa.

Just don't get me started. I don't really want to get into a rant about it, so let's just say that in anc
Jonathan

Okay I've deleted the place-marker review ladies and gentlemen: here for your entertainment is my new and improved review. Now with added humor - well I think so anyway.

Many people may look at my rating (before reading my review I presume) and question why I gave this five stars. 'Why would he give Percy Jackson five and deny literary masterpieces five stars. Why give this the same score as Lord of the Rings for instance? Well all I can say is that this is where the deceptive element of differen
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
Well, I basically agree with everything Kat Stark said in her review. You can read it here

This book was released when I was about 16 or 17 years old, and at that point I loved Harry Potter (still do) but had moved on to adult literature. Like Middlesex and Brave New World and such. I was not going to read children's books anymore (god I was a book snob). So basically I missed out on the whole Percy Jackson obsession.

Anyways, I won't rehash the plot. I was honestly bored while reading this, and t
Laz
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”

If I want my child to be reading anything when they are still young and innocent, I'll try giving them books such as this one. Certainly, not shitty, erotica books because I don't want my child to lose its virginity by the time they are 13, yup, no thanks.

This book is so adventurous, it makes me teary just thinking about what an amazing experience it was. I didn't want this to end. Was it Rick Riordan's captiving prose and never
Rose
One of my favorite teens has been nagging me for _years_ to read this book, but, despite my long-standing fascinating with Greek mythology, I just couldn't be bothered. Then one Thursday afternoon at a library program, while I was sneaking looks at "The Last Olympian" (the fifth and final book in the Percy Jackson series), which she had on top of her stack of books (it just looked really _cool_), she finally ran upstairs to the teen section and came back to hand me "The Lightning Thief."

It's act
Mario
Amazing start of the series, just as I expected.

Rick surely knows how to write a great book.
Lisa Vegan
Mar 31, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-12 year olds & all the way up to adults, especially for kids with dyslexia & ADHD
I really loved this book. I think it’s geared for 8-12 year olds but this is one of those books that the more you know about the world the more you like it. The premise is wonderful and very creative. The characters, especially the hero Percy, are very likeable. There’s so much humor, popping up at places where I least expected it and I absolutely enjoyed all of it.

The story was predictable and one of the main surprises/mysteries wasn’t one for me, but it didn’t really matter. In fact, it was fu
The YA and Middle...: September 2015: Percy Jackson and the Lightening Theif 6 3 14 hours, 57 min ago
Last one to post is a winner! 17631 1902 21 hours, 34 min ago
Greek gods 3 11 Aug 28, 2015 02:28PM
You know you're a booknerd 56 116 Aug 28, 2015 06:52AM
Books about greek gods 7 30 Aug 27, 2015 10:55PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 5 16 Aug 27, 2015 07:43AM
Could Percy Jackson learn anything from Harry Potter? 10 24 Aug 26, 2015 02:06PM
  • Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles, #5)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder (Leven Thumps, #5)
  • The Necromancer  (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4)
  • Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus (Theodosia Throckmorton, #3)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2)
  • The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)

More about Rick Riordan...

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5 books)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 6390 likes
“Deadlines just aren't real to me until I'm staring one in the face.” 4343 likes