jQuery: Novice to Ninja

jQuery: Novice to Ninja

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  22 reviews
jQuery: Novice to Ninja is a compilation of best-practice jQuery solutions to meet the most challenging JavaScript problems. In this question-and-answer book on jQuery, you'll find a cookbook of ready-to-go solutions to help breathe life into your web page.

Topics covered include: - Scrolling, Resizing and Animating Webpage elements - Backgrounds, Slideshows, and Crossfade...more
Published March 7th 2010 by SitePoint (first published 2010)

Anthony Papillion
I read this book last year when I finally decided to stop fighting progress and learn JQuery. Definitely a good, solid, introduction to the framework and got me up to speed very quickly. I wouldn't say it brought me to 'Ninja' level but it gave me a great JQuery foundation on which to build. Great book for someone with programming experience wanting to upgrade their skills with JQuery.
Weslie Leung
Good for novice but I wouldn't say it would get you to ninja level.
Bruce
A guide to JQuery that does quite a bit of handholding. More experienced individuals will most likely skim it for ideas on what JQuery can do then keep it around for those times when you are could use an example or two on how to do something. The client conversation structure was a bit annoying. For me as someone who isn't a designer the book was "meh". A designer might find the pace much more suitable. I'll keep it around as a reference.
Jason
I read this as a PDF on the Kindle so a lot of the code snippets came out very poorly, however it was readable. This book quickly gets you up to speed on jQuery. I would not say it got me to Ninja - however I did skip over some of the more advanced examples as I did not require the level of power.
Henrik
It's a nice book although it's not quite to "ninja" ... more like to "basic level". I got almost everything explained in the book from just skimming through API docs and playing with jQuery for a day. This is probably not for very advanced developers ;-)
Jake McCrary
Book was a good introduction to jQuery. I found myself skimming at parts simply because I didn't care about some aspects that it was showing. If I had more experiance with web development I probably would have given this book a higher rating.
Todd
This is a great starters book for jQuery. Wish I would have started with this one. It gets your hands dirty and hits the basics without going to deep into jQuery. I would start with this book and follow up with jQuery in action, 2nd edition.
Abbey
I heart jQuery! It makes Javascript accessible to masses of muddle-pated, middling-abled, middle-agers like me. I'll have to read several other tutorial/texts to understand it all, but this is a good intro.
Jansen
Good fast read, but hard to go back through and find the exact examples I was looking for - index and table of contents are not good for later reference.
Jason
Lots of great info, a little out of date with some of the functions but that is par for the course when it comes to programming books.
Sam Moore
Could have been a little more concise - the chatty tone adds nothing but fluff - but altogether a useful quick intro to the jQuery world.
Matteo Tomasulo
Today jQuery is a fundamental part of web development.
I found this book complete, clear and rich of interesting real-world samples.
Harit Himanshu
As a novice, I was immediately benefited with the clear language and structure of the book, definitely recommended
Dgg32
My first ever web design book. Very funny language and it explains everything. A quick dive-in into the hit hot JQuery.
Henrique Smoco
Bom para quem está começando com jQuery, mas a disposição do conteúdo dificulta a consulta posterior.
Ryan Parman
Already knowing jQuery, this didn't help much. It'd be a good book for beginners, though.
PBnJ
A decent intro to jQuery and how to execute some popular elements and effects.
Žiga Vukčevič
Very nice samples of working with jQuery.
Tung Dao
Not that Ninja but still useful.
Ezekiel
Nice reference book for this framework
Robert
Good examples for common needs.
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Christopher Colla
Christopher Colla marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Gerlinde Vassen
Gerlinde Vassen is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Vahagn Madatyan
Vahagn Madatyan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Juan
Juan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Responsive Web Design
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Even Faster Web Sites

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Build Mobile Websites and Apps for Smart Devices J Query: [Guida Completa] Jump Start CoffeeScript (Jump Start Series) jQuery: od nowicjusza do wojownika ninja Jump Start Coffeescript