Start by marking “The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman” as Want to Read:
The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman

The 5-Minute Face: The Quick & Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Carmindy, the makeup artist on TLC's popular show What Not to Wear, believes that the secret to a great look is to enhance your best natural features with sheer washes of color, not to hide under layers of artificial-looking makeup. In The 5-Minute Face—now with an all-new updated Shopping Guide—Carmindy shares her positive beauty philosophy. She offers a practical, easy, ...more
Published July 21st 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The 5-Minute Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5-Minute Face

Toni
Feb 22, 2008 Toni rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, moms, makeup beginners
Shelves: makeup-and-style
Carmindy does wonderful work, most people will agree. However, tutorials aren't exactly her strong point. The pictures were beautiful, cut up lipstick makes me smile everytime. I also enjoyed the variety of models she used. Unfortunately, I have a much different take on makeup that Carmindy. I enjoyed her writing about inner-beauty, but it didn't seem much more inspiring that the usual magazine self-esteem boosts. I don't wear makeup everyday, because I don't really care what I look like. I enjo ...more
Meghan Krogh
Probably a good guide for someone who is literally brand new to makeup.

Carmindy really loves shimmer.
Rori Rischak
I returned this book to the bookstore. I hardly ever return books, even if they are so bad that I stop reading them partway through. But I found this book obnoxious enough that I returned it.

You, however, may like it a lot. Let me ask you this. When you stand in line at the grocery store, one of the magazines you probably see on the racks is O, The Oprah Magazine. And I’m sure you’ve noticed that Oprah graces the cover of every single issue. Does this irk you at all? Sure, she’s a self-made woma
Chaundell Monn
This book changed my life! I have always had trouble with figuring out how to use make-up to enhance myself without wasting money while trying to experiment with stuff. This book is so awesome because she goes through by different categories (hair color, skin tone, etc..) and lists colors that would look great, products to use (a high end and a low end priced products) and goes through step by step through each process. I struggle with acne even at 27 years old and she recommended a certain type ...more
Wendy
I really liked this book, for a few reasons:

A-I'm not all that skilled with makeup, so it had a lot of really good tips
B-It not only breaks down makeup styles for age, but also for skin type, hair color, eye color, etc.
C-It has how-to styles for both day and night makeup styles
D-It also has a lot of good tips for general skincare

Possibly the best part of this book is the shopping guide in the back of the book. It goes through every single face shown in the book and tells you exactly what product
Kate
The book was less helpful than I was hoping for, although I guess it still gives some decent basic tips for the makeup-challenged (like myself), although I felt like I got just as many helpful tips by googling for online advice by Carmindy.

It was hard to see exactly how the steps were contributing to change the look of the models because they were all perfectly airbrushed to start out with (as mentioned in a previous review).

And I am a super fair-skinned person with slightly reddish but mostly
BookCupid
Sadly, the five minute face makeup guide would be more useful if the steps on how to apply different styles of makeup (bridal, party, black-tie) would be photographed and easy to comprehend. Instead, the book is filled with lists of products redheads and brunettes should buy which in 2014, this is no longer useful since the products are discontinued. I checked.
Kellea
Jan 18, 2011 Kellea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: makeup enthusiasts and artists
For anyone who is serious about makeup application, this is definitely a book for you. The 5-Minute Face, The Quick and Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Car Mindy is a fabulous, vividly illustrated guide that outlines the basics of makeup for anyone. My favorite highlights of the book are Chapter 4: The 5-Minute Face (What woman doesn't want to be able to do her makeup and look fabulous in 5 minutes, this chapter is a must read), Chapter 5: The Best Makeup Colors for Your Skin Tone (love thi ...more
Sonja Isaacson
I have been putting off returning this book in the hopes that an occasion will come up to try one of the "Special Occasion Looks."

I like that she breaks it down to bare minimums in what to wear. Though it still takes me more than 5 minutes to do all she wants. She does have sections suggesting colors for skin tones and also what to try or change at various stages in life. I think her lists of products could be a little more extensive, but she does include a high and low price point option for s
Jessica
Overall, this is a pretty good guide for the basics of make-up. She gives tips for a wide range of skin types and occasions, and there's a great "shopping guide" at the end to point you in the right direction. On the other hand, the tutorials in some parts were lacking. I tried using the brow shaping tutorial, and I quickly realized that the instructions were not specific or realistic enough to actually implement, and the photos next them were nearly worthless. I also wish there were a section c ...more
Michaela
This was an okay read. I was expecting to learn something from this book but, unfortunately, I didn't. It just seemed like basic information. I am a beauty vlogger so I do know more about makeup than some people which made me decide to give it 2 stars. If I didn't know much about makeup, I would probably like this more. Too basic and not what I was looking for.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call #: 646.72 CARMINDY

Madeleine - 2 stars
Hmmm - this was OK as far as a makeup book goes. A bit to simplistic in the explainations so that I got left thining "What? Where exactly?" But then I'm not the biggest brainiac when it comes to makeup. But then that's what the book is supposed to help with, right?
Much prefered Kevin Aucoin's book
Heidi
I love make-up. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but I still enjoy it. I thought this book was a quick guide to what is generally best for different types of skin and people. It was interesting. If you watch What Not to Wear, then most everything that is in the book has been mentioned on the show, if not...you might be interested.
nicole
I bought this one with the Tim Gunn book as a style pick me up. I really liked that she tells you what brands to use and even gives you the exact colors that are suited for your skin type, hair color, etc. Except that I tried to find some of the products she recommends and they no longer make a bunch of them which kind of defeats the purpose.
Madeleine
TCL Call #: 646.72 CARMINDY
Much prefered Kevin Aucoin's book.
Amanda Beth Flynn
Carmindy approaches beauty with a positive attitude and a determination to see everyone as special. Here she covers the basics and gives loads of great tricks to simplify putting on your "face", making it easy for everyone. She also covers dozens of different makeup looks for all ages, skin tones and personalities. Informative and fun!
Charlotte
Nov 04, 2012 Charlotte rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Charlotte by: Gillian Convery
This book is one of the most helpful books I have ever read (in terms of makeup). It saves me so much time in the morning! I actually photocopied a page out of the book and posted it beside my vanity so I can refer to it without having to flip through the book everyday! She explains things in great detail and I found in very helpful!
Mamabear
Just got this book today. I love it already! Buying and putting on makeup has always been difficult for me, what kind? what color? how much? what works? what doesn't? I already know from reading the Table of Contents and paging through the book that it is worth every penny to me!! A very good reference book to keep on hand.
Miss Mouse
Carmindy's makeup advice in this book is acutally very usable. Her five-minute face is one of the more realistic I've seen. I really like the section about looks for different colorings, and also one for different age decades. It's easy to follow and packed with lots of great advice and ideas.
Allanna
Not a bad read for a beauty book. It's really pretty basic, but with the title, you'd expect that, right?

Carmindy's goal is to highlight the good in every woman's face, to showcase the beauty that is innate. She also has some nice guidelines for how to change one's make-up routine as one ages.
Andrea
Nov 11, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is the Best makeup book ever! Carmindy knows exactly what is needed for a flawless yet natural look. There's no guessing at the makeup counter. In the back of the book there is a chart with the names and manufacturer of the cosmetic picked out for your skin tone and facial structure.
Kristina
Awesome guide to make-up for beginners! Loved it! Learned a few new tricks that I can't wait to try out. Carmindy is smart and helps you focus on your beautiful assets, as well as your whole face, without feeling that you have to cover up flaws. I recommend this to any woman or teen.
Marilyn
I've learned so much from Carmindy, both on WNTW and this book. This book would have been perfect if her tutorials were more in depth, and had better step-photos, though. And there were a LOT of pics of Carmindy, where I would have liked to see the space used for photos of techniques.
Cristin
This ain't a laughing matter. Although Carmindy only has one perky name, she knows her craft! This is quite a handy book for those who fall prey to common vanity...It will make you proud to walk out of your humble abode in the morning...looking classy and feeling rather good.
Megan
Great tips for formal occassions and every day life. Carmindy isn't trying to sell products, she's actually trying to simplify your life by telling you to either use multi-tasking products, or eliminate certain ones altogether. Very helpful for any woman of any age.
Kelli
A fine book--but there are only so many makeup books by the same author you can read without feeling repetitive. Her best is "Get Positively Beautiful." I recommend the big hard back book of that and you're set for life with makeup tips. This was pretty bare bones.
Kalyn
Informative for someone like me who doesn't know anything! The tutorials were a little hard to understand and I still don't see how her 5-minute face can take only 5 minutes unless you have lots of experience putting on makeup. It would take me considerably longer.
Katharina
Feb 21, 2012 Katharina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes makeup and skincare
Loved it. Learned several things I didn't learn from Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro ;)
j
Nothing super complex, but a great primer (especially for the clueless like me!). Be sure to check the appendix--she includes product suggestions for every look, including one expensive and one drugstore brand for each product.
Amy
This was a quick beginners guide to doing makeup. I got a few tips but mostly it was stuff I already knew. This would be great for a teenager just getting started though.
Umm this has to be five letters long.... 2 9 Jan 20, 2012 11:56AM
  • Sephora: The Ultimate Guide to Makeup, Skin, and Hair from the Beauty Authority
  • Makeup Makeovers: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations
  • Jemma Kidd Make-up Masterclass
  • The Art of Makeup
  • Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist
  • Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • Oh No She Didn't: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them
  • Style Me Vintage: Hair: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Hairstyles
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • Seventeen Ultimate Guide to Beauty: The Best Hair, Skin, Nails & Makeup Ideas For You
  • How to Have Style
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Little Black Book of Style
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
Every week, millions of viewers count on Carmindy to teach them about the latest makeup tips and tricks on TLC's hit show What Not to Wear.

Since her Southern California childhood, Carmindy has dreamed of traveling the world doing makeup and meeting inspiring people. Through hard work and an unstoppable attitude, she's made that dream a reality. She's painted faces in the studios of Paris, on the b
More about Carmindy...
Get Positively Beautiful: The Ultimate Guide to Looking and Feeling Gorgeous Crazy Busy Beautiful: Beauty Secrets for Getting Gorgeous Fast The 5-Minute Face Bloom: A Girl's Guide to Growing Up Gorgeous