Start by marking “Older than The Stars” as Want to Read:
Older than The Stars

Older than The Stars

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  35 reviews
How old are you?--Older than you think.

In a way, we are all as old as the universe itself. In fact, every bit of every one of us was created in the Big Bang, billions of years ago.

Stunning illustrations and lively verse tell the story of the cosmic connections that tie human beings to the beginning of the universe. Simple, informative prose provides additional facts.
Published February 1st 2010 by Charlesbridge (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Older than The Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Older than The Stars

Saving the Ghost of the Mountain by Sy MontgomeryThere Were Dinosaurs Everywhere! by Howard TemperleyAnatomy & Physiology Part 1 by April Chloe TerrazasDinosaur Eggs and Blue Ribbons by Barnas G MonteithAnimal Tracks and Signs by Jinny Johnson
Children's Non-fiction Science
74th out of 97 books — 16 voters
The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezI Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron BartonIf You Decide To Go To The Moon by Faith McNultyAstronaut Handbook by Meghan MccarthyReaching for the Moon by Buzz Aldrin
Best Space Books For Kids
26th out of 33 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Arapahoe Library District
What a great explanation of the Big Bang theory. Written for young children but made some good sense to this non science-minded adult. Great illustrations and an emphasis on the idea that we are all made of some very old parts. What kid doesn't want to think they are breathing the same oxygen as the dinosaurs!
Mistiemae1 Downs
Older Than the Stars explains the formation of our universe, solar system, sun, planet, and humans themselves in language that children can understand. It is a clever, rhyming rendition along the lines of "This is the House that Jack Built." My children had it memorized after just a few readings. The book begins, "You are older than the dinosaurs. Older than the earth." I could see the eyes of the children light up after just these first two sentences.

The illustrations are bright and engaging ab...more
Marjorie Ingall
I freaking LOVED this. It’s a “this is the house that Jack built”-style poem about the Big Bang Theory. Sounds off-putting, but I swear, it’s delightful. Works as a straight-up poem, but there are also text boxes on each page that go deeper into the science of cosmology. And the art is wonderful. Gorgeous, gorgeous book. I'm not sure how big the audience is for an odd-duck hybrid like this, but I hope there *is* an audience.
Teresa
This is a lovely two-layered book spanning from the start of the universe to you, the reader. One layer is a cumulative, poetic one for younger kids and the other layer is prose that expands on the explanation for older kids. The scientific explanation, in my opinion, was quite well done.

I don't care as much for the art style but I know the bright colors and primitive look is appealing to a lot of kids.
Heather
I really enjoyed this one and so did my 3-year-old son. The poetry and illustrations are really fun. Each page also has a small explanation of the science. A mini history of the Universe, our solar system, Earth, and ourselves are all packed into this exciting book for kids.
Amy
My niece loves science (thank God). When we went to the library today, she wanted a non-fiction book about astronomy, and my nephew (who is extremely talented at choosing good books) randomly pulled this off the shelf, handed it to his sister, and said, "Here you go, Sister. You'll like this one."

This book was absolutely fantastic! The whole idea of the formation of the universe, and all of the extremely complex chemistry, physics, and things-I-can't-even-fathom, were boiled down into an intelli...more
Carol
Jun 10, 2013 Carol marked it as to-read
This is the story of the Big Bang, told in a cumulative style, like This Is the House That Jack Built or The Twelve Days of Christmas. Author Karen Fox begins her story with a very heavy speck of dust that grows into a universe: electrons, neutrons, protons, all dancing together to make atoms. The illustrations expand and spread out over the pages using carefully considered color that looks like the messy/fun work of pre-schooler on Red Bull. “These are the bits that were born in the bang when t...more
Alex Tierney
Apr 22, 2012 Alex Tierney added it
Shelves: eced-221
Older Than the Stars explains the Big Bang Theory and evolution in a simple easy to read way for children. Her story connects the reader and all the plants and animals on the Earth to the beginning of time when the Big Bang created the the protons, neutrons and electrons that became the building blocks of all elements and life. You breathe the same oxygen the dinosaurs breathed. Your fingernails contain carbon that might have been part of a plant. She follows the format of “This is the House Tha...more
Don Tucker
Sarah Sammis
Older Than the Stars by Karen C. Fox and illustrated by Nancy Davis and illustrated by Nancy Davis uses the cumulative rhyming to teach children about the Big Bang Theory. I read it as part of my astronomy themed grad school project. It was the only Big Bang book I found for the 5 to 8 year old range.

The text is in two parts: a "House that Jack Built" style rhyme written into the illustrations and a block of typed text that elaborates on the introduced concepts. Children will learn about the uni...more
Allie Tinnes
This books teaches readers about the Big Bang theory, and how the universe was created a long time ago. It relates how each and every person was created from the universe. I chose "George's Secret Key to the Universe" by Stephen Hawking. This book is about the main character George who is taken through the universe, and he find the "secret key." Both of these books are about the universe. One about the formation of it, and the other about discovering it.
Sarah Souther
This is an attempt to help kids conceptualize the Big Bang theory and the elements of the universe, and it works for the most part. It starts with the bang when the world began and continues with the cumulative story. Sidebars give a more complete explanation of each event. The illustrations are bright, swirly, and vibrant and convey the sense of energy in the text. Unfortunately, while the font looks great, it's a bit hard to read. There is a "Timeline of the Universe" at the end and a glossary...more
Renee
Feb 16, 2012 Renee added it
The “Big Bang” seems like an incredibly complicated thing and how would you ever explain it to a child simply? Well in Older Than the Stars Karen C. Fox does just that. Using bright pictures and snappy rhymes followed up by a concise narrative Fox boils the “Big Bang” and the creation of our solar system down so just about anyone can get the gist of what happened. She explains the creation of a star with, “This is the star of red-hot stuff that burst from the gas in a giant puff that spun from t...more
Tia
This is a fabulous book for kids to understand the big bang theory and how everything is connected in the universe.
Hillary Hunt
I love the concept and purpose of this book, and the text is sing-songy and cute. Every page has a small blurb that delves into the science behind the concept that you can read or not read depending on your child's age. But the illustrations are really mediocre and uninspiring. That's my biggest disappointment here because given the subject this could've been a gorgeous book.
Abby Johnson
This picture book about the Big Bang and the formation of the universe is a great introduction for elementary students. The author starts with the BANG and then describes how atoms were created and how stars (including our sun) and planets were formed. Bright illustrations interact whimsically with the text.

Courtney Sharpton
This book talks about the big bang theory. It is informational, however it is in verse and is beautifully written. I have never read a book quite like it. I loved the illustrations and I would maybe use this when discussing the Big Bang Theory. It have a time line in the back that is very visual and it also has a wonderful glossary.
Liz
Picture book of the "Big Bang" theory and the start of the universe. A very complex topic, made a little easier to think about in this cumulative tale that also includes a few more facts on the topic. No real documentation about the facts presented, so I would need to look further. Interesting to ponder...
Elisabeth Hurley
A sweet and simple explanation of of the beginning of the universe told in a fun, cumulative verse. Lively, bold illustrations. Little blurbs on the sides of the page give further details for slightly older readers. It was perfect to read to both my 3 and my 6 year old.
Donalyn
This cumulative tale about the formation of the universe is entertaining and makes a challenging topic accessible to young readers. The brightly colored, funky illustrations add visual interest and the sidebars offer detailed information about the science behind the story.
Katharine
Repetitive "this is the house that jack built" type poem. The text was fun, informative, even a bit spiritual. We are made out of the same ingredients as everything else in the universe. Explained in a great way. I do wish there were more detailed illustrations.
Sandy Brehl
Using a "This is the house that Jack built" pattern, combined with bleeding double-page spreads of brilliant color and inset boxes of accessible non-fiction text, this picture book explains the creation of the universe., Remarkably well.
Holly Rayl
Beautiful illustrations, sing-songy text to the tune of "This is the House that Jack Built," and factual information in the side bars, this is a nice addition to a Cosmic Education bookshelf.
Erica Speaks
WONDERFUL! A brilliant book about the beginning of the world and our connection to it. We borrowed it from the library by chance, and we will be getting it for our boys this Christmas!
Thomas
Elementary age intro to the big bang and terms such as carbon, helium, hydrogen, minerals, neutrons, particles, protons and the solor system. Poem form. Chaotic colorful illustrations.
Marcie
Mar 15, 2011 Marcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: donalyn miller
Hooray for a cumulative book that makes the big bang theory accessible to kids, and grown ups as well. Glad they included the time line of the Universe and the Glossary.
An interesting cumulative story of the big bang, like this is the house that jack built. It is very simple, but would make a nice introduction before students delve deeper.
Emily
The 'house that jack built' style just didn't work for me here. Found it confusing and the illustrations, while wonderful on their own, were distracting. Read June 19, 2012
Cassandra
This is my favorite Big Bang book ever. It's lovely in language, story-telling, and art. Makes me feel so glad to be made of stardust.
Nancy
Perfect picture book. Bold illustrations. Lyrical text. Informative sidebars. Beautifully designed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Big Bang Theory: What It Is, Where It Came From, and Why It Works Einstein A to Z